Chapter 3: Fire
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miko missed the soft feeling of the beds at the furniture store, he knew he could never go back. If they got angry, he wouldn’t have her to protect him again. Who was she anyways? And why did she save him? So many things felt off that he could no longer accept it as an arbitrary action. However, he could not imagine a circumstance in which saving him was logical. Only one possibility came to mind, that she could read minds and sympathizes with him. However, those attributes are so unlikely that he would sooner believe that the universe was a simulation, or was part of a fiction novel. If he ever saw her again, he would definitely ask her what she was thinking. After putting his concerns to rest, Miko wondered what he had to do today. He looked at his calendar, but it was blank, so he laid down again and pulled over the covers. As he was about to close his eyes he heard a loud noise which jerked him back up. It was the sound of a police car, driving past. Something must have been going on outside, but what did it matter to him anyway. It concerned him about as much as stepping on an ant would concern a busy office worker. He felt the issue would be resolved with or without his help, there was no need to be involved. Reese’s face then popped into his mind, his goofy getup and grin, egging him on as if it was a competition for outrage.

“Get out of my head!” he yelled to himself, but he knew Reese was right, he just didn’t want to accept it. He wanted to stay home, to cover himself in blankets and sleep forever. That was the only thing that was comfortable, his refuge, asylum from the unknown, the frightening. The darkness slowly grew around him, covering him in black. It was where he felt safe, as his eyes felt at ease and he sat down and sighed. Then, he saw a light, faint, but within the sea of darkness, shined ever so brightly. Quickly, the darkness became enveloped in flames, and the walls of his reality grew holes. The fire was blinding, it forced light into his dilated eyes. He lurched forward out of his bed, sweating as if there were a real fire. He jumped out of bed and put on his sweater lightning-fast. He ran out of his apartment, headed towards the stairs, and jumped down to the bottom floor, breaking the fall with a bend in space. He ran out of the exit and looked for police cars. Just then, a car zoomed past him, so he ran with it. He followed it for quite some time, usually he would be tired after the first block, but it seemed like he had gotten used to running for long periods of time. Finally, he saw the police car’s destination, a huge apartment complex on fire, sending a huge trail of smoke in the sky. He was about to remove the fire from the building, but he hesitated for a moment.

“What happens after I do this? Will this be the first or last time, when will it end? When can I go to sleep?”

But it didn’t matter, for once he told himself he couldn’t be selfish. After all, what’s worse, the eternal torment of humans or the eternal guilt of letting hundreds of innocent people die? The answer barely made it to his lips, he had killed so easily before, why couldn’t he do it now? He knew he would never get any more good sleep, the clock had started, and the next time he would rest would likely be permanent.

 

Reese peeked out of the corner and found the source of all the commotion, a building set ablaze by fire that could match even his own brightest flames. Except, the flames he carried were made to protect, even though fire causes destruction. There Miko was, standing valiantly at his own destruction. What choice would he make, would he let the building keep burning until nothing but ashes replaced what once stood? Was the world so unstable, so cruel, to rip down all that it builds, after starting over becomes impossible? One loose spark starts a chain reaction that can never be reversed. After staring at the building for so long, it looked like Miko had given up, but Reese was surprised to see that the fire went out. Perhaps it was due to Miko, or perhaps the world had changed its mind, or maybe both.

 

Miko stopped for a moment and watched the people around him, who were completely baffled at what had just happened. Families were clutching each other, crying and thanking god. The police, firefighters, and some residents started running back inside to help the injured. And the family members of those who didn't make it hovered over the deceased in tears. He noticed some suspicious people too, men dressed in black suits who were watching the scene. He saw the firefighters carrying out a woman, clearly battered by the fire. He recognized her, it was the girl from before, the girl who saved him. Suddenly, he was drenched in fear, his body couldn’t move. He tried to look away but she noticed him. He froze, he needed to escape, to run away from his judgment. He looked at her face, expecting anger, but instead, it was a smile. Perhaps he was seeing things, but it was definitely a smile. The smile, it somehow comforted him, he felt at ease once more. Her smile, it was like her entire face was shining, like the sun, almost comically.

“Hey! What are you doing here?” she said, her face too close for him.

“Hi! I was just walking past,” he said brightly, although he really felt like a nervous wreck. Sweat was pouring down his face as he tried to return a fake smile.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure...” he responded, his enthusiasm quickly drained away.

She got closer, putting her lips to his ear, and whispered,

“Was it you?” 

She knew, he didn’t know how she figured it out but she knew.

“N-no,” he said unconvincingly

She furrowed her brow and said,

“Don’t lie, it had to be you, what about that time you disappeared, how’d you do that then?”

“Umm, do I know you from somewhere?” he said, trying to sidestep the question and give her doubts, although she was extremely persistent.

“Just tell me the truth already,” she said, her eyes more curious than demanding. He gave in to her inquiring and said,

“Fine it was me, but let’s talk somewhere else.”

“Let’s take a walk then,” she replied.

He sighed, he wanted nothing to do with this, but this evil witch had him trapped in a corner. He grumbled to himself and started walking. 

“So, your powers… does it allow you to do anything at all, no matter how impossible? ” she began, trying to make conversation.

“Mmmhmm,” he replied, uninterested.

“Does that mean you can bring someone back to life?.”

He stopped for a second. He wanted to know what she thought about him, what she thought he was. When he looked into her eyes, he saw a glimmering light, but beyond that was a pale blue. He was expressionless, and his limbs started to stiffen, almost like a doll. He became stone within her gaze, a statue of his own flaws, starting to crack and wear away by years of rain and snow, until there was nothing left but dust and dissatisfaction turned into anger. He turned away, no longer able to look into her eyes.

She hesitated for a moment, not having understood the significance of what he’d found in her eyes, the truth that was begging not to be said. 

“Wait!” She said as she ran to catch up with him, trying to keep up with his quick pace. 

“I’m sorry if I said something, I really didn’t mean it,” she apologized, but he didn’t respond.

“I think you’re a really great person, I’m sorry for my rudeness,” she repeated, but still no response. It seemed like she stopped existing to him, like she was unworthy to him, like a single fan in a crowd. This time she stopped and stood quietly. After a while, Miko stopped too and took a look behind him. She was crying. He looked away and continued walking.

Reese was astonished at what he saw. Not only did Miko save a burning building, he was able to keep his composure and reject a girl. Reese would have said before that Miko would be the one left hurt. Something had changed in Miko, even if only a little, but it was proof that it could be done. One can move an immovable object with an unstoppable force. Reese wanted to reach out his hand and congratulate himself but he knew there was more work to be done. And the woman, it was clear that she was curious about him, but as he brought her out of a burning building, she pushed him back in. There was still time for her to make amends, but she’d need his help, and he’d be glad to give it.

1