Chapter 11: Only the coin will decide(2)
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Only the coin will decide(2)

So, I gained experience from him, although I didn't kill him myself. It's interesting. I picked up the dagger that fell from her hand and wiped it on her clothes.

Grabbing the girl by her hair, who was no longer resisting, I slowly dragged her out of the room. I needed to check something else. No need for me to rush, there was still enough time.

Ahead, I saw two more slimes. Just what I needed.

— No! No! You promised... YOU PROMISED! — she seemed to understand what I'm going to do with her.

— That's true. I wouldn't have kept my word intentionally to see if I could remove the Hero of Humanity achievement by breaking my oath. But, at the moment, I really don't intend to break my oath. Because, well, I'm not going to kill you, at least not personally. By the way, you're not going to need this, — I took off my necklace from her neck.

She struggled and resisted, but I was already dragging her towards the slimes. A feeling of guilt and sorrow began to slowly appear in me. I even stopped. Deciding to fully experience it. It was incredibly strange. I wouldn't say it was pleasant. I haven't felt such emotions since my sister's death. Hot tears rolled down my cheeks from an excess of emotions.

I stopped completely.

— Forgive me... — I released my grip on her hair, — Forgive me... You're such a sweet girl... And I treated you so cruelly, — I hugged her. And she sobbed and tried to crawl away.

— Ah! Don't blame me! Blame the beautiful Pure Rosetta who brought us together and Lady Fate... — I'm sobbing, — They are to blame for all this! Not me!

— I... I don't want to die, please... Don't kill me, — she whispered.

— Although I'm very sad... And I really feel incredible guilt and repentance... — I pause for a long seconds, — But I'll deal with that later. Understand me, I'm not a fun of doing such senseless cruelty... Only occasionally and only if I'm in the right mood... Well, forget what I just said.

Another sob escaped me.

— Don't kill me... Please... I won't tell anyone! Just let me go! I'll do anything! — she openly wept and pleaded.

— Oh... Although I don't like this, but you yourself said that I need to do what I think is right. Well, anyway, it doesn't matter now. Now let's test another theory.

For the last time, I tenderly ran my hand over her swollen cheek, wiping away tears and softly patted her head. I gently grabbed her wrist and carefully threw her into the slimes.

I didn't need to kill her. I was very sad and my conscience was literally tearing me apart...

But those weren't my feelings.

Meanwhile, the slimes noticed the body lying next to them. And they crawled towards it... Oh, almost forgot.

Activated hidden analysis.

 

Slime.[F]

Level 1

HP 40/40

MP 30/30

There were shrieks of pain and the sound of something melting.

 

Target killed. Soul essence obtained (shortened).

 

Hmm... I gained experience even though the target was killed by the monster. Waiting for the hidden analysis to cool down, I used it again.

Activated hidden analysis.

 

Slime.[F]

Level 4

HP 80/80

MP 70/70

Wow... The monster also gained a level. But to jump from level 1 to 4 from just one beginning adventurer?... Meanwhile, the girl's body slowly dissolved inside the watery monster, which spat out the remains of her clothes. Hmm... This type of monster isn't capable of digesting clothes, weapons, or even ordinary robes...

But my thoughts were abruptly interrupted by several consecutive system messages:

 

Congratulations! Conditions met! Item created through special action.

Cursed Lucky Coin. [F] Progressive.

Enhancing type. Personal.

Luck points does not affect the chance of an outcome favorable for you. Chance is always 50%.

1. When playing against someone in a coin toss, if you win, you take all of your opponent's luck for 10 minutes.

2. If you lose, 100% of your luck goes to your opponent for 10 minutes.

3. Opponent(s) must agree to play.

4. Opponent must be conditionally hostile.

Cooldown: 30 minutes.

Congratulations! Achievement unlocked.

Deadly Luck.

Killing someone you beat in a gambling game permanently increases your luck by +1.

Luck+1

Luck+1

Luck+1

Alignment stabilized: Chaotic-Evil Lawful-Good => Chaotic-Good - Chaotic-Evil.

(The Hero of Humanity achievement is no longer able to elevate the alignment above Chaotic-Good).

Hidden profession unlocked. Accessible at [E] Rank.

 

I abruptly stopped when a whole barrage of messages almost overwhelmed me. Immediately, without wasting any time, I took out a coin from my pocket. Its appearance had completely changed. On one side, there was still a butterfly, only this time it had acquired a golden hue, and on the other side, a red skull had appeared...

Seriously? Did I just create a very useful item so simply?... Give me two! My mood, which had been sad and sorrowful, suddenly began to rise sharply and entered its usual range. Plus, some free luck and an achievement. I need to hide it now so I don't forget later.

 

Achievement: Deadly Luck => Hidden.

 

Status! Hidden profession.

You have access to a hidden profession. Access will be available at [E] Rank.

 

Hey! Where's my huge table with knowledge and information about the hidden profession? That's not fair!

I approached the room where the bodies of my two friends remained. What did I learn from all this? Being a mediator in killing is profitable. Also, killing innocent people does not remove your status as a Hero of Humanity. It's unfair, but not so critical anymore. I felt great.

There was still enough time. The boy's body had been moved to the slime, as well as the big guy's body. I decided to bury the staff, sword, and bow, along with the remnants of their armor and equipment.

I couldn't bury them... There was literally a stone floor just a centimeter away from the ground. So, giving up on all of this, I just scattered them in different rooms in the corners, covering them with stones. There was another problem...

I found the ring and necklace, but not the earring.

After searching for it for a couple more minutes, I gave up on it and moved on. As a final touch, I threw the "fire stone" into the pot where the food was being prepared, including the pot. The slime, by the way, Leveled up...

After eating two more bodies, it became:

Activated hidden analysis.

 

Slime.[F]

Level 8

HP 220/220

MP 180/180

 

Critical Damage. 240 damage dealt. Target dead. Soul essence obtained.

 

Killing it, I still didn't level up, as I secretly hoped. But I'm not giving up. In the mere 20-30 minutes I spent here, I got a lot of very useful and extremely interesting bonuses. Just feeling better now makes it all worth it.

What difference does it make if you kill someone? If they're not going to be completely dead anyways?

The soul exists.

After they die, everything will simply start over, or perhaps, like me, they will be lucky and become Heroes of another world. They should be grateful that their death helped me, and I interrupted their current state and opened up so many opportunities!

I wonder why the soul essence from their murder was shortened? Will I be able to find out more specifically what shortened means, but in the system message?

Status! Soul essence obtained (shortened).

Soul essence A portion of the experience that a creature accumulates throughout their lifetime. After death, it is passed on to the killer or to the one who played a key role in the death.

Human Achievement conflicts with obtaining Essence from a creature with Human Achievement.

Distorted Mind. Lv. 3, conflicts with humanness. 30% of the soul essence has been obtained.

So it turns out... In this world, theoretically, when a person kills another person, they don't gain any experience? But I thought...

I'm an idiot.

Seriously. A human doesn't gain experience by killing another human. Thus, order is maintained among people... But...

Distorted Mind was the skill I constantly criticized. It was this skill that kept me still me.

I'm glad I have it.

Meanwhile, I had to use Dash for the second time. There were literally a few rooms left until the place where I left my comrades.

I just ran ahead and counted the necessary number of monsters without using Analysis. It would be suspicious if I stayed too long.

— Ah, what happened to you? — Hilda immediately asked me before I even got close to them. — Are you okay? You all right? — Her accent disappeared towards the end. That surprised me.

— Dude... What happened there, you look terrible, — Jacob said with his masculine nonsense in his head.

— What are you talking about?... — I looked at myself, I didn't forget or lose anything, except for my earring...

Restored 0 HP.

Poppo cast a healing spell on me, and I looked at them still confused.

— You... — Maria pointed to my face. — You're covered in blood.

Oops...

1