Chapter 14: Choice
70 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14: Choice

She continued to look at me as my hands futilely grasped for her thin, graceful neck.

— Even without knowing the properties of cursed items, you decided to play a game on it... — Her smile was devilish and amusing, just like mine had been a few minutes ago before we played... — How did you even manage to create it? — She looked a bit curious, and I tried to squeeze her throat even a little bit, or press down with all my weight.

Useless.

I couldn't kill her. She won.

She beat me at my own game.

So, Alex, did you think you were the smartest, the most cunning and clever?

— Well... — I pretended to be embarrassed, my hands slipping off her neck. I immediately put my hand behind my head, rubbing my nape. — Glad you have a pulse...

— Are you serious? — She scoffed. — Come up with something better, clown. And now it's time! Carry me!

— Ugh...

Well, at least if I can't kill her, she can't break the terms of the "agreement," so she won't tell anyone about me. Is there any way to get around this limitation? Even the smallest loophole?

I approached her and grabbed her, tossing her over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes. That's how I began my slow journey back.

— Hey! — She squirmed and protested, wincing when my hand passed over her broken leg. — Pick me up or at least put me on your back! Only once in a lifetime does a brute like you get a chance to carry a lady. You have to do it with respect and reverence!

I stopped.

— What? Why did you stop?

My hand passed over her broken leg again, squeezing the fracture.

— Ahh! — Another painful cry. — What are you doing?

— By the agreement, I can't kill you... — My voice sounded slightly sinister and hissing, and my smile became wicked and cruel, wild and thirsty. — But nothing was said about not being able to cripple you... Seriously cripple you...

— Wait... — She tried to object, but I interrupted her.

— I'll cut off your ears, rip out your tongue, chop off your nose, cut off your fingers, gouge out your eyes, — I quietly listed, standing still as her legs thrashed and her fists began to hit my back. — So... where should I start?

— Wait! — She jerked suddenly, twisting in my arms. — Wait-wait! I really will never say anything about you! Even though you tried to kill me, you saved my life! — In her voice, there was clear panic and anxiety — I get it! You can carry me however you want! Just don't do what you said! I really won't tell or let anyone know what you were planning to do to me! I swear on the Fanfare family!

She faltered, almost nothing left of the confident girl. It was as if she had only been wearing a mask of false bravado until now...

So, what to do with her?

— Okay... — I shifted her, holding her in my arms in a bridal style. — You really did impress me... — That was the truth. — And it's unlikely anyone will believe you over me. My word carries more "weight" than yours.

— Phew... — She breathed a sigh of relief, relaxing in my arms. — On the contrary, they will believe me... I'm from the Fanfare family... I can only ask and they will execute you...

I gave her a pensive look.

— I'm joking, I'm joking! Think however you want! — She waved her hands in protest.

She still didn't know I'm a true hero. More likely, she thought I was just crazy or have too much self-importance...

— What were you doing here? — My voice was melancholic. — You come from a noble family, where is your Rescue Stone? Why did you even go into the dungeon?

— Well... — She blew a strand of hair out of her eyes. — I had it, — continues embarrassedly — but it just so happened that I don't have it anymore...

— Oh! — I found this interesting, a way to break up the boredom as we walked. — How did Lady lose such a valuable item? — I said "Lady" sarcastically, but she didn't seem to notice.

— I didn't lose it, not entirely... — She grew even more embarrassed, slightly burying her face in my shoulder.

— So what happened?

— My sister was with me, and... she lost it. So I gave her mine... — Her hand covered her face.

— And that's it?... You dragged out the conversation just because you gave it to her?

— It's a little more complicated than that... She was a higher level than me and...

— Well? — This was starting to annoy me.

— Fine! — She exclaimed angrily, looking at me with fiery eyes. — You want to hear it! Fine! Listen!

Her anger seemed to be growing.

— That stupid bitch wanted to see the Heroes first! They were supposed to go into the dungeon for the first time today! — Her voice and gaze seemed to gain new strength. — When we didn't find them the first time, she used her Rescue Stone to check if they had left and ran through the first floor again looking for them! — Her grip on my shoulder tightened, squeezing it. — And when she didn't find them the first time, she took away my Rescue Stone! Her running attracted that huge goblin, and he killed our entire group! Seeing that, she used my stone to run away! Argh! — She let out a roar at the end.

— Oh! — I was slightly impressed. What a drama! What an expressiveness! Magnificent! — So why did you go into the dungeon? For money? Unlikely. For glory? — This was my second question of interest.

— We, the Fanfares, are descended from the First Hero of Second Summoning! From Louise de Fanfare! — She lifted her head up, tilting her nose in a display of arrogance. It didn't look so good since she was still in my arms. — I was named after her. When I was born, I had hair the same color as our ancestor! — Her voice was filled with more and more pride. — You don't even know that! What village did you grow up in?

Her arrogance was starting to irritate me. She was getting cheeky again and didn't even answer my question... Typical woman, jumping around topics and not being specific...

— So... — I started. — Why did you come into the dungeon?

— You still don't understand? — Her gaze embodied the phrase "how stupid can you be." — What's in your head? Cotton?

I'm taking a deep breath through clenched teeth, it calmed me slightly... but not completely.

— Keep talking...

— This is a sign from Above! — She raised her finger up, pointing to the ceiling. — I'm the first in 200 years to have the same hair! I was supposed to become just as Great as our ancestor!

Female logic... cruel and merciless...

— Why is everyone so obsessed with Heroes... — It was true, but not to that extent. It's already on the fanaticism degree...

— Someone like you will never understand what it means to be a Hero! They're the best! They're the best at everything, they're the protectors of our race! The symbol of humanity itself!

— You have so much garbage in your head... So much propaganda and bullshit, and yet you're a noblewoman, the highest class and all that crap, — I sighed heavily. — Heroes are just people like you. They just got lucky. At their core, they were weak-willed trash who would turn their other cheek for strike, — an image of Hilda came to mind. — With some exceptions...

— How can you say such things about Heroes! — She wriggled in my arms again. — Heretic! You don't know them!

— Unfortunately, I do...

— You're also a liar! Wait... — She looked closely, examining my face. — You look familiar, — her hand jerked in a quick motion and grabbed my cheek, slightly turning my head.... Inspecting it — Where have I seen you... Were you at the feast in honor of the Heroes' descent?

I closed my eyes in irritation. So brazen.

— Oh yes, I was lucky enough to be there. I remember the delicious salad. Hmm, you also think the most fun was when the mustached guy got flattened, don't you? — I smiled.

— You... You're also joking about the death of one of the Heroes! What kind of person do you have to be to hate people like that... — Her face froze in contemplation. — You have to be the one who tried to strangle a girl after saving her... — She looked me over more closely, examining my clothes.

— Hey! I'm a good person, I just have a slightly different sense of humor! — I tried to object.

— And your clothes, they have a church symbol on them, which means you're from one of the Fifty families, — she continued, ignoring my response. Louise lightly pulled on the earring attached to my ear. Then she abruptly turned around, twisting in my arms and pulling out my dagger from my belt...

In one motion...

Shit! She distracted me with her talk!

I switched to a Dash, trying to throw her off... But she just kept looking at it... Not taking any action.

— +6 Dagger? — Her gaze became more intense. Turning around, she slowly put it back in its sheath. — What kind of family are you from that allows you such trinkets?

— Oh, I'm just a regular Hero... nothing special, — I was a little nervous about her rudeness and spoke randomly. It's unclear what she could do in the next moment, like a rabid dog.

— Yes, a hero... — She suddenly fell silent when her fingertips caught the cord of the medal given to us by Fura... — A hero... — Her fingers ran over it and she pulled them away, being burned. — Fuck! — After that, she wriggled her whole body, almost breaking free.

Honestly, it was quite difficult to hold her back.

— What's wrong with you, you foolish woman! — I shouted at her.

— But! But... You're a Hero! — Her eyes were very wide, and her face had the look of a tantrum starting.

— I told you that from the beginning! What kind of shit has been poured into your ears?!

— How did a twisted Rapist-Strangler-Necrophile become a Hero?! — Her scream was full of hysteria.

I stopped.

The hands holding her released her, throwing her onto the stone floor.

— What shit do you have in your head? — This girl was giving me a slight headache...

— But! — She pointed at me accusingly. —A h-hero! — Even her voice became accusatory. — I saw how you looked at me! You're a pervert! You wanted to strangle me and use me! — It seemed like just my existence was deeply offending her.

My palms lay on my temples, massaging, trying to fight the migraine. I regretted not crippling her...

— I think something is wrong with you... — My eyes slid over her, inspecting. — Is this your hidden desire? To be raped or something? You're constantly trying to show off your body and phrases you use... 'Do whatever you want with me'...

— You! — She was outraged. — How could you even think that about me? The only pervert here is you!

Maybe it's not too late?..

I look at my dagger and at her...

How deep of a wound can I inflict on her so that she bleeds out, but, in fact, I won't be the one who killed her?

Dagger — her.

—Hey! — She jerked on the floor. — I see what you're planning! — Her voice took on uncertain notes. — You know, I'm just joking... Getting rid of stress... — In the end, her voice became quieter and calmer.

— Okay... — I exhale. — Say what you want... But soon we'll approach other heroes, so speak without your crappy language, okay? — With a hint, I run my fingers over the handle of the dagger. — You don't want to insult the Hero, according to your own words, the Best of humans. Accusing him of first saving you and then suddenly wanting to kill and use you? Sounds like bullshit story to which nobody gonna believe...

— Okay, — she swallowed, looking a little cautiously at me. — It's just... You know, I'm really grateful to you for saving me...

The answer wasn't necessary, so I grabbed her again in the same wedding-heroic style. We had only a couple of turns left before we reached my colleagues, but... Did I always have such a good memory that I easily remembered the whole way?

Another hidden bonus from the skill?

By the way, that's why I wasn't worried when I walked. There were simply no traps here.

Confirmed.

— We'll soon approach the heroes, — I addressed her. — Behave yourself and be a good girl.

— As you say, daddy! — She slightly sprayed sarcasm.

Before we reached our destination, a message appeared:

Luck restored 0 => 16.

0