Prologue: A Summoning
79 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The turbulent waves crashed against the rocky respites the travellers had found themselves in. They were survivors of a sea expedition gone wrong. Strong whirlpools had changed the flow of the current midway, altering course to the Dark Continent, the most infamous land with almost zero percent chance of survival. Their ship had been wrecked by strange grotesque sea creatures and they had lost many of their own. Now stuck in this cave, the rocky respite they chanced upon on when fleeing from their killers, it finally sunk into them that they were never going to make it out. Outside was too dangerous, and inside - there was nothing at all. Starvation to death was their fate. 

“No… mom, dad! I don’t wanna die uwuu…”  grown men were wailing like babies, lamenting their hopeless situation. “I’m unresigned… We are unresigned…” the scent of despair, fear and death filled the cave. Dead bodies gouged out of flesh littered the ground. The survivors had turned to cannibalism as they muttered like a mantra, “I am going to live. I have to survive this god forsaken place.” Unbeknownst to them they had been infected by the homicidal desire of Hellbell when they were escaping and it spread to them like a virus hijacking their brains. They lost all sense of reason and killed each other, through strangulation, through brute force until there was one man left standing.

“What in the world did I survive these few days for?” the burly man wept as a moment of reason returned to him the instant he realised there were no more foes to eradicate. He had killed his brothers in-arms, a sin he had to carry to hell. Shakingly, he tried to stop his arms from pointing the dagger to himself. His last semblance of reason disappeared as the desire to kill overtook him, ending his own life by the neck. Blood  gurgled from his mouth as he mumbled incoherently, “I resent this fate…” He died with his eyes open.

After his death, the cave was empty, filled with blood and remains. Yet unseen by only trained eyes, a jet black aura flowed out of the corpses. The aura was known as nen. The dense black mass of nen circled the air, before forming the shape of a humanoid figure.


??? 's POV*

"Gasp!" I inhaled sharply as I regained consciousness. The last thing I remembered was a violent death, being shot while travelling in a war-torn country for work. (Yes, you were a war correspondent). But here I am now, trapped in a void of darkness, so dark I could not see myself. Was this a spiritual body? Whilst pondering in nothingness, cries echoed from afar. “ I don’t want to die! I want to go home!” The cries were so fraught with grief and emotion that my heart trembled. I could taste the intense fear and despair in those heart-wrenching shrills. Curiously, I stretched my hand out into the darkness where the cries came from. Instantly, a black hole tore open the space and a humungous suction force dragged me in. In the next moment I regained consciousness, and blinked, I found myself in a rocky cavern and could see my arms encased by a black and wispy aura as if they were made of dry ice. Instinctively, I knew. I had been called here, brought forth by humans trapped on the Dark Continent. I was able to recount their last moments which gave me a surge of power. They had been washed ashore, and the culmination of their negative feelings - of fear and despair, manifested as a demon none other than my noble self. I was born a wish fulfilling demon to fulfill their hopes of living. Sadly, they fell short of the required amount of nen to summon me, and the last man perished just before I arrived. It was when he was in the throes of death that gave rise to resentment strong enough to summon me. The pitiable man was lost in madness and died without achieving anything. Indeed, looking death in the eye brings forth the greatest despair, something I can relate to as I think back about how I died.

"Enough about those people," I frowned. "Since I was given a second chance at life, though not human, I might as well live as I want to. Open, Status Window." A blue screen visible to only me appeared. "Hmm, a name befitting of a demon... From now on, I am called Azriel." Also known as the grim reaper. 


Azriel's POV*

...

<<Status window>>

Name: Azriel

Nen type: Specialist (all types)

Abilities: All elements except light.

Ruler of Darkness, Ruler of Time and Void (time and space), Fire Emblem (fire magic), Absolute Zero (ice magic), Typhoon (wind magic), Tsunami (water magic), Armageddon (earth magic), Jack of all Trades (Conjurer), Enchanter (hypnotism), Destruction 

Description: The first nen being to have human-like qualities and traits. Unrivaled in physical prowess and has a growth bonus in nen. Amount of nen increases with number of wishes fulfilled.

...

The last part caught Azriel's attention. "Oho, so I can get stronger by fulfilling wishes? It's basically like a contract between humans and demons because nen is like life force," he mused. "Okay, so first things first, getting strong is my number one objective, and what better place to train than the most dangerous continent in the world? I'm pretty strong, I think. Second, I have to meet up with Gon and Killua who are the main characters. And... prevent Kite's death," Azriel's tone deepened into seriousness. Kite did not deserve to die and he was going to save him no matter what. His heart went out to that poor guy.

"Now then, time to see what I look like."

With a snap of his fingers, Azriel conjured up a mirror. "Hmm, nen is really handy," he commented. Peering into the mirror, he narrowed his ruby red eyes and tilted his head of sleek ebony black hair. His hair was shoulder-length and he looked like a mini version of Raizel from Noblesse. "It must be a standard look for creatures of the night. Sebastian from Black Butler looked the same," Azriel shrugged. He was pretty pleased with his beauty that transcended human standards. Plus he could just change his appearance using nen anytime when he got bored. Azriel upon realising that he was still naked, focused and conjured up clothes for himself. They consisted of red studded earrings, a white button-up shirt with black vest, black pants and dark boots.

"Looking good," Azriel whistled as he looked himself over in the mirror. He had a tall and slim figure which complemented his clothes. Now he was ready for the start of his new life. Confidently, Azriel stepped out into the cave, and into the unknown. The Dark Continent was awaiting to be explored!

 

 

Up Next: First Friends

1