Chapter 16 – Beatrice
139 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Debbie and I gathered at the table as Orsik filled a glass of wine for Dahlia. We were having pork loin with fried rice, along with chicken soup.

“Orsik, your soup is exquisite today,” I commended him.

“While I’d like to take credit for that, I have to admit that it was Beatrice who made the soup today,” he confessed.

“Beatrice!?” Dahlia exclaimed, slamming her fist on the table. The sudden scream made the rest of us jump in our seats.

“How many glasses has she had?” I asked, mouthing the words to Orsik. The last thing I wanted was to piss off a drunk Dahlia.

Orsik gave me an apologetic smile as he shrugged.

“Milady?” Beatrice asked, rushing into the dining room. “Have you called for me?”

Dahlia nodded and scowled. “Why didn’t you tell me you were an amazing cook?”

“M-My lady never asked if I cooked,” Beatrice replied.

“I didn’t know you were such a talented cook,” Dahlia said, her tone surprised yet appreciative. “This soup you’ve made is absolutely delicious. It’s truly one of the best I’ve ever tasted.”

Beatrice lowered her head, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment. “You offer me too much praise, lady Dahlia.”

“Dahlia isn’t exaggerating,” I remarked, taking another sip of the soup. “The soup is exquisite, Beatrice.”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it, Your Highness.”

“I also like today’s soup, mommy. I really hope that you make it again. This is the best soup I’ve ever had!” Debbie exclaimed, practically jumping out of her seat.

“Don’t forget your manners, Deborah!” Beatrice hissed.

Debbie lowered her head and blushed. “Sorry...”

“How many times do I have to tell you to go easy on the girl?” Dahlia chuckled. “I don’t mind her lively behavior one bit.”

“I’m afraid that if I don’t discipline her, nobody will,” Beatrice explained, smiling apologetically.

I smiled as I watched and listened to the comical exchange between Dahlia and Beatrice. To me, they always seemed more like sisters than a servant and a master. Even though I didn’t know much about Debbie’s mother, I knew that once upon a time, Dahlia had saved the life of a pregnant Beatrice after her home was destroyed.

A few months ago, Orsik revealed to me the tragic turn of events that shattered Beatrice’s life when her village was mercilessly destroyed. In a twist of fate, it was Dahlia who happened to stumble upon a gravely wounded, pregnant Beatrice. Driven by compassion and a sense of duty that knew no bounds, Dahlia extended her hand without hesitation.

Under Dahlia’s care, Beatrice’s wounds slowly mended, and it was within the sanctuary of the mansion that she found solace and safety.

With heartfelt dedication and unwavering support, Dahlia stayed by Beatrice’s side during her time of need and guided her through the challenges of pregnancy. It was beneath Dahlia’s watchful eye that Debbie, Beatrice’s daughter, came into this world.

Since that fateful day, Dahlia became an irreplaceable figure in Debbie’s life. She was like an aunt, that constantly searched for ways of spoiling her beloved niece.

What struck me even more, was the unwavering sense of indebtedness that Beatrice held toward Dahlia. Despite Dahlia’s reassurances that no debt was owed, Beatrice carried the weight of eternal gratitude and swore an unbreakable oath to serve and remain by Dahlia’s side.

“Lucian?” Debbie asked, her voice snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yes?”

“You zoned out again,” Debbie said, giving me a worried look.

“Did I?” I asked, chuckling as I scratched the back of my head.

“Yeah, you did.”

I looked at Dahlia who nodded at me in confirmation as she ate a spoon full of chocolate cake.

Wait, hold up! Where did that cake come from?

“Orsik was asking if you wanted dessert,” Debbie sighed as Orsik placed a plate of cake in front of her.

“Oh, why yes, please!” I exclaimed, offering Orsik an apologetic bow. “Sorry for zoning out.”

“No worries, buddy,” Orsik replied. “I’ll go fetch some dessert right away.”

Orsik disappeared into the kitchen.

Dahlia moaned in pleasure as she gobbled down the last piece of her cake. “THAT... WAS... AMAZING!”

It was hard to put into words, how it was possible that the woman making that face, was the same person who’d killed me hundreds of times in the Spirit Realm. It was times like these that made me think that Dahlia suffered from a personality disorder.

“Now that I think about it, I think I know who your daughter takes after,” I joked, glancing in Beatrice’s direction.

Beatrice chuckled. “Oh dear, I hope not.”

“Hey!” Dahlia yelled. “Is the idea of my lovely niece, taking after her strong and successful aunt, really that bad?”

Beatrice and I exchanged glances before answering together. “YES!”

“What a load,” Dahlia said, waving us off. “Let me redirect my questions to the only smart person in this room. My sweet Deborah, would you like to be as beautiful and strong as your beloved aunt?”

“Yes, yes, yes!” Debbie exclaimed.

Oh, dear! Here we go again...

The rest of the afternoon slipped away like sand through my fingers, the hours melting into moments. After relishing a satisfying lunch, I sought refuge in the comforting embrace of a long, hot shower. The steaming water cascaded over my tired muscles, soothing away the remnants of the day’s exertions.

Refreshed and invigorated, I immersed myself back in my research of barrier magic. It was a project I’d been working on for just over a year.

When I first began, the intricacies of this abstract subject had felt intimidating, like an enigma shrouded in mystery. It was as if an unsolvable puzzle had been laid before me. Thankfully, after months of diligent research and relentless pursuit, I was finally starting to unravel and break down the secrets of this complex area of study.

To start, the first thing you needed to understand was why barrier magic was used. Barriers could be used for a variety of different purposes, however, at its core, barriers were used to enclose an object within a realm of space.

Once you understood why barrier magic was used, the next step lay in understanding what it was.

In essence, barrier magic mirrored the principles of shaping mana into a solid form, akin to molding a delicate blade with one’s will. Just as mana could be harnessed and condensed into a tangible weapon, so too could it be harnessed and concentrated to form an impenetrable shield.

Like a master blacksmith forging a blade, I realized that the key lay in molding mana with precision and intent. Just as every stroke of the hammer, shaped the metal into a deadly weapon, the manipulation of mana formed the foundation for creating impenetrable shields.

Imagine mana as a flowing river of power, constantly in motion. To manifest a barrier, the mage would need to gather and condense the mana, directing its flow around the object to be protected. It was similar to shaping a mold around a fragile item.

The success of barrier magic relied on the mage’s ability to understand the intricate interplay between mana and form. By controlling the flow and density of mana, they could create barriers that ranged from translucent shields to impenetrable walls.

However, the strength and durability of the barrier depended on various factors. The mage’s skill and level of mana manipulation played a significant role. A master of barrier magic could create formidable shields capable of enduring powerful assaults, while a novice might only manage a fragile, temporary barrier.

Additionally, the composition of the barrier was vital. By imbuing the mana with specific properties or enchantments, the mage could tailor the barrier to counter certain types of attacks. For example, a barrier could be reinforced against fire, rendering it highly resistant to flames.

The beauty of barrier magic lay in its versatility. It could safeguard a single individual, an entire structure, or even an entire city. The scale of the barrier was limited only by the mage’s expertise and available mana. In other words, as long as I had enough mana in my possession, there were little to no limits to what I could accomplish.

After a year of putting great effort into understanding the theory, I finally felt confident enough to start putting what I had learned into practice.

I was about to begin my first-ever experiment when a soft knock on my door jolted me out of my thoughts.

“Come in!” I called out, stretching my arms out as I yawned.

The door creaked open to reveal Beatrice holding a tray with a steaming cup of tea. I sat up, surprised but grateful for the thoughtful gesture.

“Why, thank you, Beatrice,” I said, taking the cup from her. “But why are you bringing me tea so early?”

“It’s almost dinner time, Highness,” she replied, a small smile playing on her lips.

Surprised, I moved towards the window, and to my astonishment, the sun had already begun its descent. Six hours had slipped by unnoticed, swallowed by the depths of my room.

“I... I had no idea,” I murmured, a mix of awe and mild embarrassment flooding over me.

“Highness, Lady Dahlia wishes to speak with you in her study before dinner,” Beatrice informed me.

“You know you can call me Lucian, right?”

Beatrice smiled but shook her head. “I feel that’d be impolite of me.”

“You’re no subject of mine, Beatrice. You can call me whatever you want.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“So, you said Dahlia wishes to see me in her office?” I asked as I started putting my notebooks away.

“Yes, Highness. Before dinner,” Beatrice replied.

I frowned, wondering why Dahlia would want to see me. “Do you know what it’s about?”

Beatrice shook her head, a look of confusion on her face. “I’m afraid I don’t. Lady Dahlia didn’t share the details with me.”

My mind raced with questions, but there was no time to waste. I quickly finished the tea, feeling a newfound sense of urgency.

As I rose to make my way to Dahlia’s study, Beatrice caught me by surprise with a sudden bow. “I’ve been wanting to thank you for a while now.”

“Thank me? For what?” I asked, genuinely puzzled by her gratitude.

With a soft smile, Beatrice replied, “For showing limitless patience and kindness to my daughter, Debbie. You didn’t have to, but you did. You’ve been a guiding light in her life.”

I paused, touched by her words. Even though at times she acted cold and strict toward Debbie, I could tell that in truth, she was a good mother. It was clear to me that Debbie was Beatrice’s heart and soul.

“Debbie is a pleasure to be around. There’s no need to thank me,” I reassured her sincerely.

A soft smile graced Beatrice’s lips as she straightened herself. “I’m glad you feel that way, Lucian.”

OMG! She finally called me by my name!

Hiding the excitement I felt in my chest, I bid her farewell and made my way to Dahlia’s study.

As I made my way to Dahlia’s office, various thoughts raced through my mind, each one a potential reason for her summoning me. Perhaps she wanted to discuss our progress and how we would proceed to the next portions of my training. Or maybe she had a message for me from Valtair or even my mother. However, a nagging feeling told me that this meeting could be about something entirely different, something from my old life despite her promise that she wouldn’t ask me any more questions.

As I turned the corner and caught sight of the grand doors to Dahlia’s study, a small inkling of panic fluttered within me. I took a deep breath, steeling myself for whatever awaited inside, and knocked on the door.

“Come in,” Dahlia called out from inside.

Reluctantly, I pushed open the door and found her sitting at her desk, engrossed in writing what appeared to be a letter. She looked up, her eyes meeting mine, and a warm smile graced her lips.

“Please, have a seat on the couch,” she said, gesturing towards the comfortable seating area in her study.

I complied, settling into the cushions as she regarded me with a thoughtful expression. The silence stretched for a moment before she spoke, her voice carrying a hint of excitement.

“I have news for you, my dear,” she began, her eyes sparkling with anticipation. “Good news, I should say.”

“You do?”

“Yes,” Dahlia replied.

With a deliberate motion, she removed her glasses and placed them gently on the desk. “For the next phase of your training, you will embark on a series of assignments in order to get some real-life battle experience.”

My eyes widened in surprise.

Sensing my bewilderment, Dahlia’s lips curled into a grin. “Oh, just in case you're wondering, I already have an assignment for you."

"What assignment?"

"I'll explain everything later. For now, just know you'll be entering a dungeon."

“You’re sending me into a dungeon?!”

“Of course!” Dahlia exclaimed. “But not just any ordinary dungeon. You’re going to be venturing into one of the most renowned dungeons to ever exist.”

“Wait, what?!”

“Tell me, my dear boy, are you afraid of the sight of blood?”

“You know I'm not.”

“Good.”

“Hold up,” I said, raising my hand in the air. “Why are you asking me all these absurd questions?”

Dahlia burst into laughter as she noticed a look of displeasure on my face. “Oh, I’m just making sure you’re mentally prepared to fight vampires.”

4