004 First steps towards glory
3.8k 9 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Okay, this is bad.

Since I became a dungeon, I probably shouldn't care about those two girls. But somehow this doesn't fit me right. I mean, I wasn't even a dungeon for full three days, and I also haven't hurt even a bug yet, let alone a human. I just hope those girls a still alive, AND I have enough time to find some way to help them. I already planned to get rid of this green pests eventually, but without actual combat prowess and an unknown deadline, this will not be an easy task.

While I was brooding about my insufficiency, the commotion calmed down a bit. All of the goblins are now gathered in a semi cycle around their chief. At least I think this has to be the chief, he was almost a head taller than the rest, wore tattered leather armour and even had a rusty short sword. It was obviously stolen from a now probably dead adventurer.

What followed was some sort of speech, although I wasn't able to understand a thing. At least the rest of them cheered when he was done talking. Much to my delighted, the five unhurt goblins, which initially stayed back in the cave are now grabbing their weapons and a sorry excuse of a basket and left the cave. I don't know what exactly they are going to gather, but the fewer enemies are staying back, the better. 

Also, the goblins who are carrying the human girls are now moving towards the storage room. Unfortanly two more goblins accompanied them on their way, so it seems unlikely that they just dump the girls and leave them unguarded. Goblins are dumb, but not that dumb.

While they were passing my traps, I thought about activating them for a short moment. But I discarded that idea immediately since the only possible outcome would be the guaranteed death of my damsels in distress.

After they passed the traps and the hidden door towards my core room, I had a sudden inspiration. It would be a bet, but the odds were not that bad. All I needed was a bit of luck. And as long as these goblins are not much smarter than I want to admit, it will work out, probably.

As fast as I could, I prepared a new pitfall trap behind the hidden door. I was halfway done when the girls were dumped roughly on the ground. Andi t bothered me a bit that I was only able to hear the groan of one girl. Hopefully, the other one was fine too. But I don't have the time right now to think about this right now.

Like I had expected, the two extras stayed behind and guarded their spoils, while the four carriers turned around and left the storage. I give a glance towards the main cave, but the remaining six goblins are currently tending their wounds or do other trivial tasks. So I focus back at my task at hand.

I am barely able to finish the pit when the goblins arrived at the hidden pathway. And so it was time for my not so brilliant master plan. I open both doors so that the goblins can see my shiny core. And cross my imaginary fingers in the hope that they will do what I want them to do.

"Gwha!"

The leading goblin yelps out in surprise while he jumps a few steps back. But he soon recovers from the small shock, and after the doors were entirely open and nothing more seems to happen, they are looking at each other while the braves one among them nods. And together they are entering their path to certain doom.

I mean, come on. If you are walking inside your house and suddenly a door opens at a place, where no door is supposed to be, AND you can see a hidden treasure inside that unknown room, what would you do? Just walk inside? On the other hand, that is probably exactly what most adventurers would do...

Cautious they are moving forward towards the shiny crystal and unknowingly pass the first trap. Their steps become more confident, the further they walk, but as soon as the brave leader steps on the false floor of the second trap, everything changes. 

"WAAH!"

He yells in panic while the false floor crumbles beneath his feet, but he manages to spin around quickly and grab an arm of the following goblin. The sudden momentum almost lets both of them falling into the pit, but the second one reacts quickly and stabilises his stand. Everything seems fine, but the third one was unable to stop in time and bumps into the quick one who saved the life of the brave one, and both of them fall into their death.

FUCK! I totally forgot this trap has a false floor and is not triggered manually like the others. While cursing myself for my forgetfulness, I close the door behind them in hope to prevent that further noises are reaching the remaining goblins.

In the meantime, the last goblin clouts the stupid one and swears at him loudly. But after a few moments, the stupid one sees the closing door, points towards it and can convince the other to stop hitting him. Both of them run now as fast as they can, and it looks like they will reach the exit in time. But this hope was destroyed as soon as both are on top of the trapdoor and with an imaginary grin, I trigger the trap. Gotcha!

And so the whole expedition found an early grave in an unfortunate accident. At least I was able to confirm the deadliness of my improvised pitfall traps. And after the door was finally closed again, I check the remaining goblins, if they heard something. But it seems the swearing and cursing of the recently deceased goblins were not loud enough to reach their ears. Or these are simple normal noises if you are living with other goblins.

With this, the first step of my operation 'save the damsels' was a huge success. But the most crucial step follows now. So I absorb the impaled corpses, and the message I was hoping for appears in the form of the familiar blue panel.

"New Blueprints acquired! Cave Goblin added to [Breed Monster]."
"142kg Biomass absorbed and added into Inventory."
"Crude weapons and clothing absorbed and added into Inventory."

Perfect, now it's time for the next part. [Breed Monster]!

Select Monster to breed:
Cave Goblin - 50 Mana, 35kg Biomass, 5 Minutes

5 Minutes? That is surprisedly quick. But unfortunately, I am only able to breed one monster simultaneously, and with the high mana cost, I cannot breed more than two cave goblins, since I will need some spare mana for other things.

Since I have no time to lose, I quickly modify my first trap, so it works with a manual trigger, and reactivate both of them.

In the meantime, a giant ant-like egg appears in my core room where I am able to see a rapid maturing Goblin. A fascinating and disgusting sight at the same time, which I am unwilling to describe in detail. Hopefully, nobody will become suspicious while I have to wait for my task force to be born.

91