Chapter 1: The Awakening
392 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was raining outside; it had been a depressing day for me. "I don't understand why she had to say that before we graduated; I thought we had something." I thought back to that moment before I walked up to take my diploma. Jenny was staring at me; she looked saddened by something, which to me was confusing because normally she is really cheery.

 

"Hey, Kamen. Can you come over here real quick? I need to talk to you about something." Jenny yelled out.

 

"Hey Jenny, what's up? The ceremony was really weird; I'm just glad that it's over and we can spend more time together." Jenny looked even sadder after I said that.

 

"That's the thing, Kamen." My parents think that it would be for the best if we weren't friends. It'll be better for both of us. Please don't think that you did something, because you didn't do anything." That was the last thing she said to me before turning around and leaving.

Shocked, I stand there, staring at where she was just standing. "What on earth was that about? Why would her parents think it'd be okay if we weren't friends?

 

After I leave the school, I make my way back to the house, constantly replaying that moment over and over again. Something was wrong with her. She was never like that before.

 

To keep my mind off Jenny, I go down to the kitchen looking for something to eat. "I can't believe I forgot about my favorite cereal, Golden Cinnaflakes. I haven't had this in a long time." I grabbed a bowl and some milk from the fridge. I hear a noise from outside; it sounds like a muffled scream.

 

"Was that a scream?" Hearing this, I ran to the door and opened it. Outside, a man over 6 feet dressed in what I would assume is expensive clothing is dragging a woman into the woods by her hair. The woman is attempting to fight back; she's clawing at the man in hopes that he lets go of her. She somehow manages to scratch his eye and cut it open.

 

Seeing this, I yelled out. "Hey! "Let her go, or else!" The man turns towards me, and I see that his eye has healed. He opens his mouth to speak. His voice is deep and grave. "Stay away from this human; this doesn't concern you." He turns and drags the woman into the woods, where she disappears.

 

"Did he just refer to me as a human?" What was with him? Was it drugs? "Someone needs to help her; if only my phone worked, this damn thunderstorm." Grabbing my jacket off of the rack next to the door, I run outside and towards the woods in hopes that I can help that woman. Making my way into the forest, I feel like I'm going in a big circle; I'm lost, until I hear the guttural scream of the woman he was dragging.

 

Running towards the sound of her screams, I stop as soon as I see the man picking the woman up by the throat. His blood-red eyes shine through the darkness that envelopes the forest; his mouth opens and showcases his sharp fangs; he bites into her neck and starts sucking her blood. Gasping out in shock, the man looks at me before snapping the woman's neck and throwing her to the ground.

 

"I warned you, human; you should have listened. Now you will die like this woman." The man disappears from my sight.

 

"What the fuck! Where did he go??" I yell, terrified, and turn around. The man is there. He reaches out to me, but before he can grab me, I hear a familiar female voice.

Looking at the sound of the voice, I see that it's Jenny. My face goes pale when I notice that her eyes are the same red as the men.

 

"Stay away from him, Alistair; he's mine!" She yells out before piercing the man's shoulder with her claws. Alistair sees her bloodied and flesh-covered hand emerge from his shoulder.

 

"What the hell, Jenny?! What's going on??" I yell out, confused. How did she know where I was? Was she planning this?

 

"I never said I would listen; he's the one who attempted to stop me from bleeding this girl dry." He motions to the woman, laying still on the ground covered in blood; her eyes are wide open in shock.

 

My body is urging me to run, but for some reason, my attention is fixed on Jenny. "Is this why you said we couldn't be friends anymore? Why wouldn't you tell me about this before?" I was shocked and confused.

 

Alistair starts laughing uncontrollably. "I apologize, Jenny. I'm unable to keep up this charade. You really need to tell him the truth."

 

I glance back and forth at both of them, unable to process what just happened. Seeing this, Jenny sighs and cracks her neck.

 

"Look, you were never in danger." This was a joke that Alistair thought would be funny. I didn't think so, but he was adamant about it." She explains.

 

"So this is all a joke?" I snort angrily. And what about that woman over there? Is she in on it too?" Alistair takes a step forward and sinks his teeth into the female's neck. He guzzles down her blood until he's satisfied, then throws her back on the ground. I hear him mutter something under his breath about her ugliness. The woman sitting on the floor jumps up and smacks Alistair hard on the back of his head. She screeches at him, "Ugly! I'll make you look ugly!" Before I can blink, she starts chasing Alistair around the room, trying to hit him. He yells out an apology out of desperation: "Baby, I'm sorry! "I was just trying to sell this to Kamen!"

 

"I am beyond confused; can you please try to explain this without hurting my brain?" I ask. Jenny scratches her head awkwardly. "The thing is, I wanted you to introduce yourself to my family." But I didn't know how to do it without scaring you away forever. That's the reason I said we couldn't be friends. My parents thought it was the best way."

 

"Okay, so if this was a joke, how did you guys do the makeup?" I ask. "That's the thing; it wasn't makeup." There's a lot I have to explain, it seems. I'll explain it to you when you wake up."

 

"Wake up? What do you mean?" I ask before Jenny reaches out and bites into my neck, draining my blood, and then drops some of her blood into my mouth. As I stand there looking at her, I feel my strength fading.

 

I attempt to say something, but I realize it's futile. Jenny looks saddened when she suddenly snaps my neck, and soon everything fades to black. The last thing I can remember is seeing Jenny crying.

 

 

Jenny leans down, picks my body up, and walks towards their car. "I really am sorry about this, Kamen. I hope you don't hate me for this."

 

Soon I feel a hand smack me across the face, forcing me to awaken. "What the fuck!" I yell out as I swiftly get out of bed, glance around, and discover Jenny sitting in a chair next to the bed.

 

"What's going on, Jenny? Where am I?" The words come out before I think about it. Jenny looks tense as she stares into my eyes. "I'm sorry, Kamen. I had to make you like me; it was the only way that we could be together." She explains.

 

"What are you talking about? Did you turn me into a vampire? Did you ask me if I wanted that? Did you think that I wanted this?" I feel the anger slowly taking over. The metal starts breaking under my strength.

 

Seeing this, Jenny quickly attempts to calm me down. "You need to stay calm, Kamen. If you exert yourself too much, you'll put too much strain on your soul, and you'll end up dying." In my head, question marks appear above my head. "Soul? What the fuck are you talking about? Why would my soul be damaged?"

 

"Because you haven't fully made the change to vampire, you're more or less in limbo until you feed for the first time. Well, that's one of the ways that you can complete the transition; it's the quickest way  anyway. Alistair is leaning against the door frame, eating an apple.

 

"Oh my god, this guy is a serious douche, trying to look cool. He pranked me and nearly "killed" me; I ought to throttle him. So what happens if I don't feed? Do I turn back to a normal human?" I asked curiously. "No, sadly. The vampiric blood in your veins will devour your body if you don't feed within 24 hours, leading to your death. Jenny says she is getting up from the chair and walking towards a dresser, grabbing some clothes, and handing them to me. "You'll need these here."

 

"I already have clothes on, so why do I need different clothes?" Is there something wrong with the clothes I have on?" As I look down to inspect my clothes, I ask and soon realize that I am, in fact, naked. With great haste, I grab the blanket and cover myself, and I feel my face redden.

 

Alistair laughs. "I don't know why you're embarrassed. It's not like you have anything impressive under there." Jenny backhands Alistair and shoves him out of the room.

8