Chapter 1: Omelet
195 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

BEEP!

BEEP!

BEEP!

The alarm clock, has it always been this loud? I can't fall back asleep. Well, it's a school day, so I guess it's for the better. Not that it makes it any less annoying.

I turned off the alarm clock and got ready for school. I was in the middle of taking off my shirt when my door was busted open. It took me by surprise, although I probably should have expected it.

A girl dressed in a school uniform stood where my door once was. She had a tall and athletic build, with short brown hair and beady black eyes. 

Her name was Fukada Chiharu. My classmate who has also been my neighbor since childhood. 

As if she had done it over a hundred million times (she probably has), she yelled a string of words in one single breath.

"KEIICHI! WAKE UP YOU BIG DUMB IDIOT! OR WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR SCHOOL AGAIN!"

"Hey, Chiharu." I meekly said.

"Huh?"

 It was Chiharu's turn to be surprised.

"You're… already awake…?" She looked as if she had seen the sun rise from the west.

I awkwardly smiled and scratched my cheek.

"Yeah, I kind of just woke up on my own today. No yelling needed, sorry." I tried to play it off with a laugh, but I still felt guilty. Even though I did nothing wrong.

Chiharu looked weirdly disappointed when I told her that. As if trying to find something to have power over, she looked me up and down before she coldly said, "Put a shirt on! You creep!"

She gave a "hmph!" and shut my door with full force. 

What the hell was that about?

***

Once I had finally finished getting ready, I went downstairs to eat breakfast. Unlike most days, I wasn't in a hurry, so I could take my time with the breakfast my mom had made for me before she left for work.

As always, it was an omelet. I don't particularly like omelets, but it’s whatever. Food is food. After saying "thanks for the food" I took off the plastic seal to start eating. There was this big heart drawn with ketchup and the words "I love you!" written on the omelet, which I really appreciated.

As I was about to eat, I couldn't help but feel awkward. Chiharu was also in the kitchen, just watching me. She looked satisfied just watching, but I knew it wasn't fine to just leave her like that.

"Aren't you going to eat?" I gestured to Chiharu to sit down.

She was taken aback, overwhelmed that I actually acknowledged her. She was treating it as if it was a supernatural anomaly. Come on, you're making me feel bad!

"I-I'm fine, I already ate at home. B-besides, there's nothing to eat!"

"That's fine. We can share my plate."

"!"

I was even surprised by what I just said. My kind and caring mother made me this omelet, for me, not for Chiharu, I don't want to share it. I should have just told her to take some cereal from the cabinet. But since I already said it, I guess I'll share, it would be cowardly to take back my words.

"O-okay! Certainly! Absolutely!" Chiharu seemed weirdly excited. I didn't know she liked my mother's cooking that much.

Grabbing a knife from the kitchen drawer, I cut the omelet in half and gave one piece to Chiharu on a second plate.

"Oh, you meant it like that." I could see her eyes shatter in disappointment.

"How did you think I would share it?"

Chiharu blushed.

Wait, does she want me to—

"D-don't worry about it…!"

"Oh, okay." I stopped worrying about it. 

As I ate, I could feel her eyes stab at me like a pair of daggers. Whenever I looked up, I would see her pouting expression furiously munching on her omelet. It was very cute. But for a tomboy (or at least I think she is, I don't really talk to other girls) she sure is acting very girly today.

When we finished eating, she asked a strange question, "How was the omelet? Was it good?"

I don't know, Chiharu. You tell me. Was the omelet we both ate any good?

Was this girl always so dense?

Obviously, I kept such thoughts to myself, I didn't want to be rude.

"Yeah, it was pretty good. One of the best omelets I ever had." I exaggerated my words, it was an alright omelet. Well no, it was an okay omelet… eh, it was an omelet. 

She reacted with an infectious smile.

"I'm so glad!"

"Eh, me too! I guess..." I awkwardly smiled.

What a weirdo...

8