Prologue: Welcome to Genopia
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I doubt saying welcome to our glorious city means what it used to anymore. A few years ago I would have smiled happily as I shook your hand and began to show you the wondrous sights that make up Genopia. However, due to recent events, I find myself worrying about even walking to my mailbox; let alone venturing into the massive metropolis. What was once a proud and shining beacon of hope and equality for all, no matter your species; is now a warzone. I apologize dear reader. I forget from time to time that many of you aren’t familiar with Genopia and its inhabitants. Living amongst humanity are elves, werewolves, vampires, kitsune, daemones(demons), and angelus(angels). Many of these creatures lived peacefully amongst one another. This worked for many years but eventually, those with darker ambitions rose and changed things. 

 

What was once a city of shining hope became the symbol of lawlessness and chaos. The Genopia itself isn’t all lost; many of the law enforcement fight to reclaim their home. This may not sound like a hard task but when you are facing individuals that have special powers your chances diminish quickly. Many organizations house these individuals: they’re either run by them or keep them around via contract. These groups are labeled as terrorists, gangs, or also known as organized crime syndicates. One of many organizations that are commonly spoken about or grouped in with these is a shadow organization only known as Pariahs.

 

Many of their agents have been involved in assassinations, espionage, supplying mercenaries, and more. Unlike the other organizations, Pariahs seem to have a plan, their targets seem to be other lawless individuals. Could this mean they’re a group of rogue officers who believe the system no longer works? Are they a group of terrorists systematically taking out their enemies to be the last ones standing? This story tells the tale of similar individuals; in truth who’s to say their ambitions are truly dark or evil. However in truth what they do isn’t good, so we’ll allow you to judge for yourselves. 

 

Our story begins in a location known to very few. It's hidden in plain sight for them but those who seek it out without the proper knowledge find nothing. On its surface, the building looks to be an average three-story warehouse. Most of the items it holds arrive via specially marked cargo boats and delivery trucks. This supply is what helps the ones hidden underneath survive and stay anonymous. Currently, in the main office of the building, a man dressed in all black sits in the room waiting for his company to arrive. It's hard to make out a description due to the man constantly staying in a disguise. A past event taught him that even your closest allies can do the most damage to you if they know who you are. 

 

The door to his office opened, two young gentlemen entered the room; each carrying files. The first male wore a black cloak with the hood over his head, hiding his face from view and any details that could be noted. He had a black long-sleeved shirt that had a slightly puffed-out chest, black jeans with noticeable tears along the shins up to his knees, and a pair of black sneakers with a black lace running through the holes. Although his figure was hidden, he looked well-toned and seemed taller than his partner. 

 

The second was a bit hard to make out. He hid most of his face with a black wool wide-brimmed hat. He was also adorned in all black clothing and matching boots; however, his sense of style differed from the two. It seemed to be a mix of 18th/19th-century gothic clothing and modern era gothic. He had a lanky frame and walked with a quick and strange stride. Once the two made it to the desk They stood at attention then saluted their fellow agent, before you ask if their salute is the one our modern soldiers use; the answer is no. Only the agents of pariahs know the salute and they each give it to an individual whenever meeting on the field to make sure they’re meeting with an ally.

 

“How are you gentlemen tonight,” The man behind the desk asked, his voice also hidden thanks to a voice disguise. At the moment it sounded scrabbled, low, and had a slight echo at the end of every sentence. 

 

The man in the hat placed his folders on the table and pushed them toward the man behind the desk. The man leaned forward and clicked on a small lamp that illuminates a quarter of his desk. This allowed him to read the files but keep himself and his fellow agents to stay hidden. He grabbed the first file on top and began to read it thoroughly. 

 

As he did this the man in the hat turned to his partner then casually asked, “I see your last mission in Kilos was a success. I hope the information I offered you came in handy.” The man behind the desk ignored this and kept reading the first file. The man in the cloak however nodded as he turned to his partner.

 

“It did, if it hadn’t been for your information on the hidden tunnel network I would have been screwed multiple times.” The cloaked man laughed sheepishly while the man in the hat gave a faint smile. The two looked to their acquaintance and found he was on the second file now. The man in the cloak snapped his fingers then said, “That reminds me, have you tried out the new list of attachments I recommended for your handgun?” 

 

The man in the hat thought for a moment then nodded. “I did, I have to say when it comes to using an extended clip and the recommended parts increased my weapons in many ways. If you're free later this week then I’d say a drink is on me.” The man behind the desk snapped his fingers, getting the two men’s attention. He pointed at the file in front of the cloaked man then gestured for him to pass it over. 

 

“Hmm, I’ll have to see if I’m free but I do believe I’m free sometime around Saturday night.” The cloaked man casually responded as he slid the folder across the table. The man behind the desk caught it with ease then began to read it. This allowed for the other two men to continue their conversation. 

 

“I do believe I’m free Saturday,” The man in the hat reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. Immediately as he opened it the man in the cloak wrinkled his nose in disgust. The man behind the desk looked up momentarily, nonetheless, the man in the cloaked scoffed, getting his partner's attention. “Something you’d like to say Daemonium?” The man in the hat asked; his tone changing. It went from a warm friendly tone to a cold and bitter one. 

 

“Why do you smoke those disgusting things?” The man in the hat shrugged as he turned his eyes back to the small package in his hands. He casually pulled out a cigarette and placed it between his lips. He placed the box back into his pocket then pulled out a purple zippo lighter that had a silver crescent moon on its front. He clicked it open, lit the cigarette, inhaled deeply, then clicked the lighter closed as he exhaled. 

 

“I don’t have a reasonable answer for that question,” The man in the hat replied. Strangely his tone seemed to take a lighter tone. Almost as if he were trying to suppress a smile or perhaps he was attempting to not laugh. His partner groaned as he rolled his dull orange eyes, he was about to say something but the man behind the desk cleared his throat getting their attention. The two turned to their partner and found he had just finished reading the last file.

 

“So,” The man behind the desk began, as he clicked the light on his desk off. “I take it these are the agents you wish for me to consider recruiting?” He studied his two acquaintances for a moment waiting to see if either would object to his statement. Instead, the man in the hat continued to smoke while the man in the cloak nodded. “Very well there's a recent event that has come to my attention. I was planning to send you two to deal with it. Nevertheless, it seems a golden opportunity has struck.” The two men stiffened, their partner's tone was that of icy ominousness that sent an uneasy chill down their spines. “I do hope these recruits have what it takes to be a Pariah’s agent,” The man said as he slid the files back to his two partners. “After all, if they can’t cut it for this mission then I doubt they’ll be of any use to us.” 

 

The two men glanced at one another for a moment as they considered their acquaintance's words. Then without hesitation came to the same conclusion. “I do believe they'll do fine, E.” The man in the hat said to the man behind the desk. He looked at the man in the cloak and handed him his file. “Until next time Jack.” 

 

Jack took his folder and nodded, “See you around Eric,” With that Eric tipped his hat to his two acquaintances and snapped his fingers causing a black oak wood door to appear. Eric opened it and stepped through it, causing it to disappear once the door shut. Jack smirked as he opened a portal of shadows for himself and stepped through it. This left E who sat back in his chair for a bit thinking about the three people Jack and Eric had presented to him. 

 

“I wonder if they’re as good as their files say they are,” E mused to himself as slowly sat forward then adjusted his mask slightly. This left the lower half of his face free to breathe for a few moments. “It seems only time will come to tell me.”

0