Nakatomi Clan
102 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In just a couple days, I managed to gather everyone in Yama's Cult to the Yamato Region. The place was surrounded by gardens on the outskirts. As one traveled further inward, the actual clan house would become visible. This was the Nakatomi Clan, a religious clan which served the Fujiwara with grudging hesitation.

It was a place famous for 100% accurate fortune telling. This is because of a inherited technique in their family. I did my research and figured out that the Fujiwara are not enslaving or forcing the clan to serve, unlike their other branch clans. It was so strange that I began to suspect that it had to do with the fortune teller, since that was the only variable.

But that leaves the clan open for people like me. That's the same as risking the golden egg for a goose of entropy.

The only explanation I can think of is... Is it possible that they are trying to avoid a specific misfortune, and leaving the clan alone is the only way for it to be avoided?

But by leaving the clan open without much protection is exactly why I chose to come here instead of somewhere else. And I also would use this against the Fujiwara, so how does their misfortune get avoided?

I bend down and pick a rose, "Perhaps the Oedipus Paradox? Oedipus tries to escape a prophecy that he will kill his father and marry his mother, but his actions to avoid this fate end up leading to its fulfillment. Maybe the future is malleable, but actions seem destined to follow a pre-set path."

The world itself has secrets, and so does the Fujiwara Clan.

It's definitely possible that by completely destroying and absorbing the Nakatomi might alter the future or stop predications from occurring. In that case, I needed to be swift and careful.

I looked behind me and saw hundreds of people. Some were old, others were young, but all were under my control. It brought a smile on my face to see these low-class poor citizens following my orders.

Gathering cursed energy around my body, I ordered, "Everyone follow me! Forward!"

...

As I took my first steps through the lush gardens of the imperial estate, my eyes were drawn to the graceful roofs that adorned the landscape. The buildings, a testament to the exquisite taste of our era, stood as ethereal symbols of a newly refined society.

A small unguarded gate was nothing to us. I simply punched the metal rods which erupted from the ground. They scattered across the dirt ground as we continued towards the entrance.

I pushed the door and smelt something unusual.

The main hall, with its gently curving eaves that seemed to kiss the heavens, exuded an air of serenity. Its wooden walls, adorned with delicate paintings of vibrant birds and blooming flowers, whispered stories of nature's beauty. My servants marveled at the intricate lattice windows, allowing soft beams of sunlight to dance across the tatami mats within.

What gathered my attention was the innate connection to nature I was feeling. It was as if the house itself was alive and filled with a Magnolia fragrance. The entrance was also abandoned recently based on the obvious signs of dirt footprints.

Still, I ordered the over three hundred Followers of mine to continue moving.

Adjacent to the hall, the pavilions were delicately crafted. Their slender pillars supported roofs that swept upwards in layers, like the flowing sleeves of a court dancer's robe. Each pillar despite being inanimate, felt more alive than the garden outside.

A few paintings were decorated around the walls. I saw simple symbols of Shintoism in each painting. This was a clear sign that I was in the right place.

For some reason I felt my mind being drawn into the details of the house.

But it wasn't just the structures themselves that made me feel strange; it was the harmony they created with the meticulously landscaped gardens, the carefully chosen art pieces adorning the walls, and the scent of delicate flowers that lingered in the air. Everything made me forget about why I was even here.

Something was off... My nose was picking up too many smells in no real direction. It was as if I was trapped in a directionless dream. Was it a enemy attack?

I needed to wake up.

I pulled out a metal knife from my waist. I shone the reflection of the edge and grasped it with my right hand. With the edge grasped, I quickly slashed my hand across and felt immediate pain.

My hand went numb for a moment as I felt my mind clear. All focus was gathering on my hand as a mist in my head dissipated.

I blinked a few times and saw my vision changing. Instead of being inside the main room of the Nakatomi Clan, I was back outside the metal gate.

It was like an illusion was disappearing. I looked down at my hand which was healing and put the knife away.

Looking behind me, I saw all my Followers in some kind of trance. They looked like mindless zombies.

"AWAKEN!" I yell to them. Without even flinching at my order, the Followers continue standing in a trance.

I looked back at the gate and saw someone new.

A man with a golden ponytail looked puzzled. He had a unique robe which had symbols of the Nakatomi Clan on them.

"I'm surprised you escaped. My daughter predicted your arrival. I just didn't expect for my illusions to be ineffective. No matter. Without your followers, you are just a simple First Grade Cursed Spirit. A sorcerer will always beat a curse of the same level." The man said to me.

"Who are you? The head of this clan?"

He pulled out a sword from a golden sheathe and pointed it at me, "That's right. As the leader of my clan, I've already evacuated everyone from even the possibility of danger. The Fujiwara have already warned me of your abilities. I just need to not be touched. Without others to restrain me, what can you do alone? A mind controlling innate technique becomes useless without hosts."

This guy... They still believe I have mind control? How would the Fujiwara know that? Only the Sugawara bastards knew. Is there a spy? Whatever, it's not completely true anyways. Maybe using an order with Faith on all my Followers will wake them up, but that's very expensive.

Plus, this technique I've honed needs to be tested!

I pull my hands together to form an owl sign. Within the second, I switch to another hand sign with protruding tusks. Finally, I jumped back and created a wolf hand sign.

While I jumped back, three creatures formed.

"Nue! Max Elephant! Divine Dog!" I point at the gold bastard and they charge.

Max Elephant spewed gallons of waters at the guy. It splashed all over him and nocked his body backwards a bit. That pressure could kill a normal person, but he blocked the force of the water pressure using his sword.

Nue flew high in the air and charged its wings. Then, it unleashed a torrent of purple lighting down on the leader. He used his sword and stopped most of the lightning, but it still hit his wet body and multiplied the damage.

His face looked shocked at my instant attack, literally. I sent the Divine Dog closer in order for him to admit defeat. Otherwise, my dog would be eating plenty for dinner.

Falling on his knees, he asked, "That's... the Ten Shadows Technique. What is your name... and... how is it possible for you to possess both an innate and inherited technique?"

"Gabimaru. If you want to know more, the Nakatomi Clan must become my servants." I tell him while bringing my hand closer to head face.

He supported himself with his sword and stood up.

"Gabimaru? I swear the prediction said that a mind controller and Empty General of Space would attack us. We even collected information on the only mind controller, Sagiri of Mori Village. I didn't even see the Empty General of Space in your crowd. Was her prediction false?"

Without stopping his questions, the guy eventually sat down in the dirt in defeat while scratching his head. I gave him a hand to stand up which he accepted.

This time, I asked, "Based on what you said earlier, your daughter is the famous fortune teller? Tell me more of what's happening while releasing my Followers from the illusion. Also, you never answered who you were."

"Hahaha... Are you serious? I can't believe this attack happened by someone so misinformed. Well, my name is Nakatomi Gorudo, the Nakatomi Clan's head. We have been actively resisting a merge with the Fujiwara using my family's inherited technique to predict the future for the Fujiwara Clan. With that, they have not swallowed us yet. But I still worry when it will happen."

"Gorudo, huh? Let me just say this, I can also control minds with the Ten Shadows Technique. Don't tell anyone this or I'll find out and kill your family. I'm feeling quite impatient after wasting so much time in your silly illusion."

I sheathed my knife and continue, "Well, I'm only interested in two things: The prediction technique and potential followers I can gain. If you refuse to cooperate with me, I will release my Followers and have them destroy the clan's main house. That way I can kill the Gojo's without worry." I say this while creating a few Marks in my mind.

Gorudo waves his hands in denial, "Wait, Gabimaru-san. I think our interests are aligned. We both don't like the Fujiwara. Maybe we can work out a deal. I can bring Followers into our clan using my connections and you can receive predictions from my daughter. I will willingly let you control my mind if you leave my wife and daughter alone."

Although I would normally just forcefully take control of this guy and his family, I do need someone who can interact with the other clans. If this guy has any disloyalty, it could lead to future problems like with Ms. Resurrection... There's also no telling what can happen with future telling cursed techniques. They may have weird requirements or effects.

It would be best to leave the situation to naturally develop and then take control once I have confidence in commanding all circumstances regarding the predictions. After all, I came to this clan specifically for their predictions and weak offensive capabilities. This could work.

"Let's perform a binding vow." Gorudo tells me this while gathering cursed energy.

This would also be a good opportunity to learn about basic jujutsu techniques from a sorcerer. Alright, seems like a good plan.

I nod my head at him for affirmation and circulate my own energy.

Gorudo continues, "In exchange for going under the control of Gabimaru, giving a constant supply of potential followers, and allowing him to use Tamaki's Poetic Justice inherited technique, Gabimaru must not hurt Nakatomi Tamaki and Nakatomi Narumi."

I see now. They are just verbal promises made with cursed energy which must be strictly adhered to.

"Sure, I agree with that." I tell him, which cements the vow.

Then, he dropped down on his knees and allowed me to convert him, which I did without hesitation. Gorudo also gave me some instructions about the basic amenities around the household.

Gorudo created a hand sign and used his technique as he explained, "Please go on ahead without me. I've notified my wife about the situation. If anyone comes to visit you, I'll be able to instantly send you a message with an illusion inside this house. Please enjoy your stay, sir. The bedrooms are upstairs across the hall."

...

I walked towards the bedrooms which aligned the inner hallway of the house. Once I reached the third bedroom across the hall, I knocked three times and opened the door.

"Hello, sir. Thank you for showing mercy on our family and agreeing to help us against the Fujiwara."

A beautiful woman with mature curves and short blonde hair spoke to me. Who knew the Heian Era was hiding such a beauty? Even with the long purple dress, it was hard to hide her fair skin and assets. Although I knew who she was, it was best to make a good impression considering I need to approach the situation carefully without using the cult.

"I didn't know Tamaki had such a pretty sister. It's a pleasure to meet you, I am Gabimaru. I don't know your name yet, but I'm sure it's just as beautiful as you are."

She chuckles, "Haha, Gabimaru-sama has too much passion for this old lady. Please call me Narumi. There's no need to waste your valuable time with me. My daughter is in the outside room to the left."

"Narumi... A beautiful name for a beautiful woman. I'll comeback some other time. At that time, I hope we can get to know each other."

With that, I left the room and closed the door behind me while sneaking another peek at her... eyes. It's been a while since I've done it.

"Don't judge me." I say to myself.

I also answer myself, "No worries. I won't judge."

After finishing the talk with myself, I go to the door to the daughter's room. With the same procedure, I knocked three times before opening the door.

Inside was a brightly lit room filled with natural light. On the ground was a girl with finely textured blonde hair that seems as if sprinkled with gold dust, tied around with a blue ribbon. Her face shows some signs of naivety and displays elegance. She stared at me with her green eyes and smiled.

"Papa sent you. Hehe, Tamaki loves papa so much. Tamaki does what he says. Come here, Tamaki uses Poetic Justice just for you. Quick, quick!"

I thought to myself, 'This cute girl talks in third-person? Ah, such a refreshing thing is nice to see every so often.'

Tamaki pulls out a calligraphy brush and motions for me to sit beside her. She also explains the basics of her cursed technique. My face becomes more serious.

Based on what I know, which isn't much, her inherited technique can predict the future through poems. The more past information imputed, the more the future is outputted.

I also noticed that despite being nineteen years old, Tamaki seems very childish. It's as if she is a child dependent on her father.

"Tell something to Tamaki." She gave me an innocent smile and picked up her brush.

I ask something, "Will you tell anyone what I say to you?"

Tamaki shook her head, "No! Tamaki keeps secrets. Tamaki doesn't even remember secrets. Now, Tamaki will start."

Tightly holding her calligraphy brush, Tamaki began to envelop her hand in cursed energy. This was a sign that it most likely began.

"My name is Gabimaru. I was born in 850, so I'm roughly fifteen years old. However, I am also someone who lived a past life as a human. Now, I plan to use my cult to control the entire world or become strong enough that I become the peak existence that has or will ever exist throughout time."

I say this to her while observing the process. Her originally bright green eyes were dull and colorless. She raised the brush and began writing something. I assumed Tamaki wouldn't remember what I said, but it doesn't matter even if she did. I'll keep her on lockdown and prevent anyone from touching this golden goose.

Carefully looking at the process and smelling her unique cursed energy, I tried to pick up anything from the way she foretold the future. But I couldn't see anything strange, like a vision or constellation. Only words formed as she continued to write.

Tamaki goes faster and faster, each stroke of the brush as elegant as she was.

Sitting still, I waited for ten minutes before she stopped writing and her eyes returned to normal. She put the pen brush down and smiles with sweat dripping from her face.

Then, Tamaki reexplained the poem's rules.

She hands the paper and says, "Tamaki is done! The future is strange, but misfortune can be avoided with this. Each person can only have their future foretold by Tamaki once. Unless you have multiple birth names, Tamaki can't help you with this again."

Well, that was to be expected. However, what's not expected is that I have two birth names. This means I should keep my second chance for another day if I meet trouble.

All innate or inherited techniques possess a few negative sides. But, I should still be thankful with what I have received.

Then, Tamaki reexplain the poem's rules, "The poem has four to five quatrains of four lines each. Each quatrain represents a different time of importance. The dates are written in reverse, so the first lines always depict what happen later in the future."

It's easy to understand, especially since similar abilities exist in other animes I've watched before.

Now, enough time wasted. I should see what it says.

With that, I traced my eyes down the parchment and read.

...

MONTH OF HARMONY : FIRST, 876

In shadows deep, a tale unfolds, A villain's path, where fate beholds,

Gluttony's grip, a hunger untamed, A journey of misfortune, darkness claimed.

MONTH OF NO GODS : TENTH, 875

Ten Shadows' disaster, a tempest's roar, The villain's heart, a shattered core,

Fujiwara's legacy, a noble's might, In destiny's cards, their threads unite.

MONTH OF CULTURE : SEVENTH, 865

Foretold man in Tang's distant land, Holds the key to fate's gentle hand,

To avert the storm, the villain must roam, Seek wisdom's solace, far from home.

MONTH OF RENEWAL : THIRD, 865

Through danger's gauntlet, the villain strides, To mend the wrongs, where destiny guides,

Destiny's prophecy, a beacon to see, A chance for redemption, to set one free.

 

Khadroth on Twitter: "I've gone live! Come be comfy and lets do the NA ...

 

3