Prologue, The Destined Coincidence
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1. [Our Male-Lead POV]

It's around seven in the evening. I'm walking towards my hangout while carrying a bag filled with books and some stationary. The location is in a forest and near the edge of a cliff.

Ah, it's not a strange place you know, it's just a place for myself and only me, my parents, and a few acquaintances know the location. My name is Reza Arkan and I'm a first-year high school student. It might be a bit odd, a high school kid, a freshman that is, going out into the woods at night. But I promise I won't do anything weird.

The route I took passed through a road on the outskirts of town, not far from my house and being the border between the town and the forest. The road does feel quiet, maybe because it's the edge of town and it's dawn, the rows of buildings on one side of the road only have a few shop houses open and one or two vehicles passing by.

The night temperature wasn't too cold, for some reason, even though I only wear a casual shirt and trousers. Well, maybe I should be grateful because if it's too cold I can't wear my casual T-shirt and have to wear a thicker one and to be honest, I don't like it.

The pedestrian walkway route is over, now start with the forest route. I grab my phone out of my trouser pocket and turned on the flashlight so I could see the road more clearly. With the dirt road and trees surrounding it, maybe a normal person would wonder why a high school boy would enter a pitch-dark forest. Don't worry, it will be answered after I get to my destination.

The trees are so dense that they almost completely cover the dark-blue sky. Meanwhile, my only source of guidance is a dirt path that is brown-colored showing differences so people can know that it's a path. I casually walk in the dark since it was my habit to stop by here, I became unafraid to get lost since I had memorized the route. In a tree wires are dangling from street light sockets outside the forest, what are those wires for? That too will be answered when I get there later.

The path started to climb, indicating I am close to my destination. Oh wait no, it's been uphill from the start but people who are going down this road for the first time will find it difficult to notice.

Very quiet is the right word to describe the atmosphere of this forest, since what do you expect? This is a forest, at night that is. The only source of sounds came from insects and wind blowing the leaves.

I finally got to my destination and, "Voilaaa".

I better stop saying cool stuff like that, it's a bit cringy.

The reason why I acted like I was showing something extraordinary was because indeed, the view from the edge of this cliff are impressive. The city of twinkling lights shining brightly and the black sky full of stars and moonlight is a stark contrast, it is very beautiful. Around here is my private place, right under a fairly large old tree. While walking, I turn off my cellphone flashlight and approach the old tree. The cable from the street lamp socket ends here as a conductor of electrical energy and turns on the lamp perched on the tree branch. There is a tin roof in case it suddenly rains.

I use this place as a place to relax and relieve stress from my daily life as a student. But today, it's different. I brought a bag filled with books and stationery for studying. Yep, because the midterm exams are in sight, one of the nightmares and a very troublesome thing for most school students is right around the week. I'm not a diligent one, but I'm also not that stupid. The proof, I can enter one of the favorite schools in my city.

Ah, not the time to be showing off, it's time to prepare this place. I turned on the only source of light in this place and took a folding table and a chair under the old tree. There is also a mat tucked away but I prefer to sit on a chair. The light provided was not too far-reaching and not too bright either but it was enough to be able to see the fine print on a book.

The ground is flat so the table won't tilt. I put the table and the chair and set them up under the tree. The table itself is not very big, maybe around 50cm high and 60cm wide and the chair is just a makeshift small folding chair. Placing my bag onto the table, I settled onto the chair, though it wasn't the epitome of comfort, it still surpassed sitting on the grass.

Retrieving my notebook, I diligently sought out the desired material before immersing myself in its contents.

 

Well, Studying like this isn't too bad either.

 

The temperature is not too cold. Oh yeah, maybe because it's summer and I live in a tropical country. The atmosphere is very calm, quiet, and with a beautiful view, I would say.

"Yep, this is the best atmosphere".

 

2. [Our Female-Lead POV]

"Myaaa".

I sit squatting in front of a cat, and mimicking the voice of this fluffy creature in front of me. The cat has orange fur with a few white patches, probably a domestic cat.

"Nyaaaaa...".

Damn it, how could I have to meet such a cute obstacle, I just wanted to go home after buying things for my new home.

"Nyaaaa...".

Ah, so stupid, I'm tempted by the cuteness of this cat.

"Hey, let me touch you" I said to the cat while thrusting my hand towards the cat to pet it.

The cat then ran in the opposite direction to me.

"Ah, he ran away" I said disappointedly.

Not giving up, I chased him until he turned towards an entrance of a forest, "Hey, don't go there, if you go that way I won't be able to catch you".

The cat stopped at the entrance of the forest and sat beside a tree.

"Nyaaaa...".

"Eh, it looks like he's mocking me... but, going into the forest at night is a bit...".

The pitch-dark forest makes me don't really want to go there. I can feel the nightmares in my head later on.

"Nyaaaa".

"Ah hell I care, I won't get lost and there's no way I'll lose to a cat".

I went back to chase the cat into the woods.

...

"Ah, I'm lost..." I said languidly.

My breathing becomes heavy. All those running gives my heart a full-work time.

The forest is enveloped by darkness. No sight of light in any direction. So, I decided to turn on my cellphone flashlight. Now, at least, I got some sight of the surrounding. And not gonna lie, I still can't see the path to go back. It's... kind of scary.

"Nyaa?" the voice of the cat with a questioning tone.

"It's your fault you damn cat, hufft, because I chased you into this forest I got lost! Hufft..." I said in an annoyed tone and at the same time, panting.

"Nyaa...".

"Well, it's also my fault anyway... Fine, you will let me carry you as compensation for this!"

"Nya!" replied in a loud tone like agreeing to my offer.

The cat jumped at me. I hold the cat with both of my hands like a mother holding her sleeping baby. Then we started wandering through the forest, with a cellphone flashlight as the only means of lighting, I'm trying to get out of this forest. "Well then, how am I gonna go back?" I ask myself. My baby, wait no, what the heck? The cat, move its paws upwards, and turned itself up but not towards me.

"Nyaaaa".

"Uh, what?" I asked. Though it's a bit weird that I have a conversation with a cat, to begin with. But, I need something to distract myself from this whole messed up situation.

The cat pointed out that there is a cable dangling from one of the trees. I turned towards the indicated tree. 

"Oh, there's a cable, this could be a way to get out of the woods. But in which direction?" I asked myself.

However, at this point, it is better to follow the direction of the cable than to do nothing. I followed the direction of the cable, tracing its path with unwavering determination as it snaked its way through the tangled labyrinth of trees and bushes.

After about five minutes, I arrived on some kind of cliff edge with an amazing landscape.

"Wow.... what kind of scenery is this."

I see a very beautiful sight, the city lights twinkling like a mesmerizing tapestry against the backdrop of the velvety dark sky adorned by the radiant glow of the moon and the countless glittering stars, creating a breathtaking spectacle that awakens a sense of awe and wonder within me. What a stunning view...

"Ah" a boy's voice.

I turned and...

 

2