19. A Sparks of Anew
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we emerge from that illusory realm, I helped Hana getting out of the forest with her injured leg. I carry her on my shoulders—somewhat embarrassing, but what other choice do we have?

Even though we spent a considerable time in the illusory world, time here seems unyielding.

Encountering others, Chika and Tomi appear fatigued at the forest entrance. Oddly, my bike is there, though I didn't bring it myself. Chika eventually discovers the frequent meeting place of Hana and me. Naturally, suspicions arise about the nocturnal activities of two high school students in the woods. Yet, all her suspicions prove inconsequential. But it really takes her a long time to figure. 

Everyone escorts Hana back home. Tomi searches for a first aid kit as Hana's bandage comes loose from her run through the forest. Her leg is injured pretty badly, showing a purple bruise beside her right ankle. I gaze intently at the wound, reminding me of the foolish people responsible for her suffering.

Speaking of those foolish girls, within a day, my social media post gains considerable attention. Nearly a million views in a day. Support pours in for Hana, and demands echo through our school to expel the girls. However, it's not as straightforward as it hoped to be.

I, the one who recorded it, am summoned by the Vice Principal. He scolds me, accusing me of tarnishing the school's reputation. I suspected this would happen, but the Vice Principal's threats weren't to be taken lightly. He even threatened to expel me. Nevertheless, casting me out would only further tarnish the school's name. With overwhelming evidence and social media support, some students provide testimonials about their experiences withe the three girls at school, including Hana's friend. The school has no choice but to expel them. Well, at least this issue is resolved.

We continue our days peacefully. With the burden lifted, time seems to pass quickly. By now, we're almost in our third year. During this time, not much interesting happens in my life. The same can't be said for Chika and Hana.

Chika, now back in the Track club, brings a sense of nostalgia. I honestly forget why she quit when she first entered high school, probably for some trivial reason. Nonetheless, she's active again, and the Track club values her experienced presence. I hear she's become one of their aces, participating in upcoming competitions. Impressive.

As for Hana, she continues working under Uncle Eric, Tio's uncle. She tells me she's learned a lot, everything about the city's history and its festival. It's been a while since I've seen them, although I occasionally drop by. Hana also rejoins the Ilutu City Festival held at the year's end. She resumes her role as a Fire Dancer, impressing the audience as she did back then. Hana's popularity sky-rocketed beyond control it slightly unnerves me. But, as long she's happy and the festival has returned to its usual charm, thanks to herself.

At this point, we're in our third year. Regarding my relationship with Hana, there hasn't been any progress. She visits me at our usual spot during her free time to enjoy the fresh evening breeze, but beyond that, we never discuss about it.

Besides the ongoing interference from Chika, it's strange. If my confidence isn't deceiving me, Hana should feel the same way towards me. However, she seems to reluctant due to something. I think she just wants to focus on her education – as she mentioned – she want to continue to college, but she has to live with her Father again, in a different place with me. Well, if that's the case, I'll just follow in her footsteps, much like she follows her mother's. Though, it feels like I'll become like Hana who strangle herself to a foreign places.

As I relax on the cliff's edge while the night breeze blows, it feels like returning to that unique world, a calming illusion. I've visited that place twice with Hana, and we've never tried it again. Perhaps because if we go back, we might be tempted to stay there forever. We decided to remain in this world for the days to come.

Until today arrives.

"This time, I will celebrate your birthday!" Hana declares firmly beside me. We're both in class during the first break.

Why now?

But after some thought, maybe it's because around six months ago, Hana asked me about the date of my birthday. She mentioned wanting to repay the kindness I've shown her. I'm fine with it, so I told her. Well, she was shocked because it's been half a year since she missed it.

"Sure, why not. Should I celebrate it at home and invite you?" I say. Though, honestly, I haven't celebrated my birthday at home for eight years.

"Eh?" Hana responds, a bit flustered. She turns around, whispers, "N-Not a bad idea," only to face me again, "But, no. I'll plan it myself. So, just wait, okay?"

Then, like lightning, Hana leaves the class. I'm left feeling puzzled and slightly delighted.

 

***

The day is approaching. I can guess what Hana is up to. Her instruction not to visit my usual spot for a week before my birthday is solid evidence of her plans, or at least where they'll unfold. I'm curious and persist in coming secretly, often seeing Hana going in and out of the route to the forest. I even know she has some accomplices in her mischief. Quite cunning of her not to involve me as the main character on that day.

Well, instead of making her angry, I might as well go along with her wishes. Besides, I might have some fun surprising her too. I thought about how to prank her. Then, one idea struck me.

What if I also give her the greatest gift of all time?

It doesn't have to be special. Everyday items will do. Yes, I know exactly what to do. So, I quickly head to Uncle Eric's house. We talk, and he says it might be challenging and risky, but it should be doable.

I spend the next five days at Uncle Eric's house. Thankfully, he says Hana hasn't been there for the past two days. She mentioned preparing something. I wonder who she's preparing for.

"Why do you want to make this?" Uncle Eric asks as he stirs the fireworks mixture in a container, his hands covered in protective gloves.

I, while doing the same thing, reply, "Just consider I'm doing the same thing with what Hana is doing."

"Hmmm. But are you sure? If this touches the forest trees, it might be a bit risky," he continues.

"I know. We'll just add a little time to it," I reply while continuing to stir the mixture.

Unbeknownst to us, four days have passed. After conducting several shooting tests, it's confirmed that the fireworks pass safety standards. Although we have to be cautious because Uncle Eric and I made them quite large. So, after giving thanks, I head home, carrying the fireworks I prepared.

That night is stormy, with heavy rain pouring.

The next day, a drizzle continues to shower the city.

I'm a bit worried about Hana. After being left exposed overnight in last night's storm, is everything okay there? Did Hana make preparations? I'm not really hoping this day will come at last, but it's a bit disappointing if Hana's hard work for the past week goes to waste.

Just to be safe, I call Hana. I press the buttons on my small phone that lead me to Hana's contact.

A buzzing sound came from the phone.

"..."

[Hello?]

"Ah, Hana."

[Arkan? What's up?]

"... Nothing. I just want to about you."

[H-Huh???]

"Are your preparations going fine? If they were hit by last night's storm, I'm a little worried."

[H-How do you know?]

"Well, if someone tells me not to come to my private place on my birthday, I'd be a little suspicious. Just a bit."

[Oh, that's true. Yeah, it's okay. I just checked, everything is A-okay.]

That eased me a little, but it doesn't mean all my concerns are gone.

"... Hana. What if we don't do it today? It's a bit risky to go there after last night's storm."

[No! It has to be today!]

"..."

[I won't miss this opportunity...]

"... Alright, I'll wait for your surprise."

[Wait for it.]

The call ends. I put away my phone of my right ear.

0