4 – Moonfall
16 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The journey from the Forst Duchy to the academy was long and arduous. They had departed early but now the sun was setting quickly and darkness began enveloping the surroundings.

Louise's bottom was sore, not accustomed to sitting for long hours. However, the breathtaking scenery made up for the discomfort. It was her first time travelling anywhere, and she was enjoying the ride. But her leisurely time was interrupted by the presence of her brother sitting across from her.

"You've been awfully quiet this ride," Lutz taunted, a smirk plastered on his face. Louise averted her gaze and remained silent.

<<That’s cause I don’t wanna talk to you stoopid>>

“Father may not be present anymore, but as your elder brother it is my duty to remind you to behave yourself and not bring shame to our family. If possible don’t even mention you are a part of our family, I wouldn’t want to be associated with someone as pathetic as you.” He said in a condescending tone.

Louise remained indifferent to his underhanded remarks. She knew better than to argue with him; it wasn’t her first time in the face of such events.

“I am speaking to you.”

Louise closed her eyes and let out a resigned breath of air knowing she had no choice but to answer.

“As I’ve said before, I won’t do anything to disgrace our family. Is that of a sufficient answer for you?” she replied tersely, her eyes devoid of any affection towards him, but in her head, she could passionately envision herself pulling a middle finger.

“Even if father isn’t here, I am still your elder brother. I won’t tolerate this kind of disrespect.” Lutz snapped while he frowned.

“Respect is earned, not demanded, not that I expect someone as arrogant as you to know that.” Louise retorted with a fierce glare.

“You!”

Their bickering was cut short by the driver, who announced their arrival at the top of a mountain pass. "Young master and Lady Louise we will be arriving soon," he called out from the little window compartment.

Louise heaved a sigh of relief. She knew that dealing with Lutz was a never-ending battle.

As the carriage reached the mountain peak, Louise stared outside the window in awe while her hand gently pressed against the window. <<Holy crap…>>

Her eyes gleamed as they reflected a soft silver glow. It was the breathtaking sight of the capital city of Selene, or as most people called it Moonfall, a far cry from what she had seen in the original game’s cutscenes.

Moonfall was a city nestled in the heart of a massive crater surrounded by towering cliffs rising on all sides. The moon meanwhile shone down on the landscape, giving it an ethereal glow, and from certain places it looked as though the moon itself would fall onto the city.

It was a fascinating city built on a series of terraces, interconnected by winding staircases, bridges and narrow streets. Brimming with bustling marketplaces and artisan shops, and at the very top of the city, overlooking the rest of the landscape, was a grand castle made of white stone. But no matter where one went in Moonfall, the ever-present sight of the moon looming above served as a constant reminder of the city's unique place in the world.

The sight of such a city reminded Louise of how beautiful & fascinating the world could be.

“I would back away from the window if I were you, we are entering the outskirts of the city” warned Lutz.

Unfortunately, many beautiful things are short lived. Even the most fascinating of cities have a part they wish to hide. Perhaps they shine far brighter to take the focus off from the flaws within. It didn’t take long before the carriage found itself in a run-down part of town. Many of the buildings were made of rotten pieces of plywood covered in moss, while the roofs where flat and made from thin sheets of metal. People of all ages, including sickly-looking children and elderly individuals could be seen begging for money on the streets, and as soon as they saw the carriage Louise was in, they had surrounded it, knocking on the windows, and pleading for anything.

Among the crowd Louise would notice a little girl who would be shouldered, falling to the ground, clearly hurt. To which she would grit her teeth and avert her gaze.

Lutz, on the other hand, showed no sympathy. “Pitiful vermin,” he muttered. “They would have been better off dead.”

Louise was taken aback by his callousness. "Not everyone is fortunate enough to be born into luxury," she said.

Lutz turned to her with a raised eyebrow. "Ha? Don't tell me you pity these people," he said incredulously, but Louise remained silent, staring out the window at the poverty-stricken scene.

Lutz would then let out a cackle, “This is hilarious! That accident really did a number on you didn’t it? You were the one who always looked down on these commoners and now you suddenly feel pity for them? The jokes do certainly write themselves.”

<<I really want to punch this guy…now that I think about it, I never even got to know what accident happened to Louise.>>

Eventually they would arrive at a gate guarded by many soldiers in dark teal armor. The gate itself was open, people openly entered and exited as they willed, only carriages were stopped and inspected.

“I welcome the duchy of Forst” would greet a guard before letting the carriage through.

As they entered the city’s main street the surroundings changed completely. The streets were now beaming with life, and the use of magic was ever so present. Although most of the population could not wield magic to a high degree, there were magic apparatus that facilitated its usage. Light spheres could be seen floating around emitting a soft ambient light on the narrow streets while levitation stones would deliver foods, fruits, and small crates from lower levels to the terraces above. It was all fascinating to see, but Louise couldn’t help but feel envious of the simple lives the citizens led.

As such she inadvertently spoke one of her thoughts “Maybe I should open a flower shop.”

“You keep spouting weird nonsense Louise, you should remember your status as a noble.” Responded Lutz with an eyebrow raised.

As the carriage traversed the main street, the carriage would pass through an arc with the inscription The Path to Knowledge is a Journey to the Heavens.

It would promptly arrive at the slope of a hill and begin its slow ascension. As Louise followed the path to the top with her eyes, she could see a grand building made of white marble, with tall columns and ornate carvings. The building was situated in such a way that it appeared to be leading directly towards the moon.

It was the royal academy, a boarding school where nobles and commoners alike would study all sorts of subjects to prove their worth to the empire. From magic and swordsmanship to politics and commerce. It was the equivalent of a modern university in a fantasy setting. But most importantly, it was the place where the game Louise had played in her previous life would take place. It was no exaggeration to say, that she was entering the academy that could lead her to her death, but she was determined to change that outcome.

The carriage would stop midway in an intersection with another path that would lead to a nearby complex.

“This is where you will be dropped off, the path leads to the lady’s dormitories. Don’t worry commoners and nobles are housed separately.” Said Lutz, and soon Lei, the maid Louise had brought would open the door and hold out her hand to Louise.

“I hope you don’t expect a thanks from me.”

“Please, that would just be outright disturbing. Just remember our fathers’ words, if anything just live like a quiet dead rat.”

The carriage would resume its journey, leaving Louise situated at the entrance, next to Lei who held a large suitcase.

The wind blew a soft breeze while Louise stared at the path leading to the dormitories.

“My Lady? Is something wrong?”

<<I didn’t think I’d ever comeback to a school…>>

“My lady?”

“No, its nothing. Let’s go Lei, tomorrow is a grand day.”

Lei smiled brightly and responded, “Yes!”

1