RTYY 219 – The Salty Faraway Sea
159 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Still worried, Snow followed ZaiWin1Literally zai (blade) + win (chaos). with his gaze as he stepped away from him. He couldn’t shake the feeling that something very dangerous had just happened right in front of him, and that he hadn’t been able to really see it. But then his eyes widened in amazement, and he couldn’t help look all around him, his breath catching in his throat, his heart jumping from enthusiasm.

They were on a rocky, deserted plateau, but they were probably on some mountain, because the view from up there was simply breathtaking. Extensions of golden-brown dirt and patches of green covered the land down below, at their feet. And, once the land was over, a bright extension of turquoise-blue stretched all the way to the horizon, until it touched the bright-blue sky.

The wind that blew Snow’s hair and clothes felt cold but, even so, he couldn’t avert his gaze.

“Is that … the ocean …?” he muttered in amazement and a warm body covered his back, equally warm arms wrapping around his waist, shielding him from the cold that he could barely feel.

“That’s right,” a voice above his head told him. “Those are the rocky shores of Nox2Literally nox (night). Where Nox is the name of the Clan, also the name of a Province.. Unfortunately, most of Nox’s coast is just sharp cliffs and scarps. But someday I’ll take you to an actual beach, and you’ll be able to fill the warm sand beneath your feet, and taste the salty water of the sea.”

“Is it really that salty?” Snow asked, his eyes still fixed on the immense extension of water before his eyes, and ZaiWin chuckled.

“So much so that you can’t drink it.”

“You’ve been there? You’ve tried it?”

“I did. Once, a long time ago. When ZenTar3 Literally zen (silent) + tar (wind) took me to visit his Province, Zai4Literally zai (blade). Where Zai is the name of the Clan, also the name of a Province..”

“Is it true that the ocean has fish bigger than any man?”

“It’s true. So big and heavy that they overturn the fishermen’s boats and no man can kill them.”

Snow smiled. He’d always wanted to see the sea. It had always been such a mysterious thing in his mind. He’d only heard people talk about it once or twice, on the streets, and he’d carefully stored all the precious information that he’d been able to gather.

Sand too, seemed to have seen it before. And when he had once asked her about it, her dark eyes had glistened with enthusiasm as she drew endless waves on the dirt, a sunny sky above it, and strange lean, tall trees on what looked like a round patch of land. She had looked so happy drawing those things that Snow was sure that such a place was very important to her.

And yet, it was still hard to imagine. So much water. Constantly revolving. Constantly moving. Never drying up no matter how hot it was. Even though they were still considerably far away from it, it was still an amazing sight to contemplate. And Snow could almost swear he could feel a light, fresh, and salty aroma, being carried by the wind dancing around him.

“It’s really amazing. Next time lets go together. Feel the warm sand. And taste the salty water,” Snow decided, feeling slightly melancholic.

Now that he was older, he could understand that Sand had probably been born in such a place, maybe in a small village built on a sunny beach. Because she hadn’t looked only happy as she made her drawing on the brown dirt, using a small wooden stick. She had also looked lonely and a little bit sad, as if she terribly missed something. Snow really wanted to see it with his own eyes. A place that could be called Sand’s home.

As if he could feel Snow’s melancholic mood, ZaiWin placed a warm kiss on the top of his head and pulled him closer against his chest.

“No matter where, from now on, we’ll always be together,” he declared in a tone that didn’t allow space to be rebutted, and Snow gazed towards the never-ending, shimmering ocean.

He knew that such a statement should make him feel uncomfortable, should make him fear that he was back to being someone else’s prisoner. But it didn’t. On the contrary. Snow found those words strangely reassuring, instead of suffocating or constricting. He didn’t mind it at all, he concluded, allowing himself to lean back against ZaiWin’s chest, surrendering his weight into his embrace. It felt comfortable. Above all, it felt right.

ZaiWin rubbed his chin on Snow’s soft hair and took a deep breath, readying himself for what would inevitably follow.

“There’s another reason why I brought you up here,” he carefully announced. “As you can see, there’s no one for miles and miles all around us. No villages. No settlements.”

Snow’s body immediately tensed up at the sound of those words.

“Here you don’t have to worry about hurting someone else.”

The speed with which he jumped from his embrace left ZaiWin’s arms empty in a split second.

Snow turned to him as if he’d just been stabbed on the back, a deep frown marking his forehead, his pale eyes now cold and threatening.

“I know you don’t want to. But you really must learn how to control them.”
Snow shook his head and stepped back, as if ZaiWin could actually force him to do it against his will.

“Why not? Isn’t it better if you can control them? You worry that you might hurt innocent people. Isn’t controlling your daitai5 Literally dai (light) + tai (mark), or holy Markings, considered Heavenly Blessings. They’re the source of power. the best way to guarantee that that doesn’t happen?” ZaiWin patiently argued, but Snow shook his head again, completely determined.

“Just take a look! There’s no one here. It’s true that back at the Fortress your array spread to a considerably large area. But, like every array, it also had its limits. The men that were standing back, at the top of the hill, weren’t affected by it. I doubt that you could affect a larger area than this mountain. But, to play it safe, I made sure no one lives in the surrounding land.”

“No!”

ZaiWin sighed.

“At least tell me why.”

“You! You are here!” Snow replied angrily as if stating the obvious, and for a moment ZaiWin couldn’t help but stare at him, completely taken aback. Finally he chuckled, his blue eyes glistening with that scary glow that made Snow’s heart beat faster and irrationally made him want to try and escape him.

“You’re worried about me?”

Feeling his cheeks heat up, Snow averted his gaze, embarrassed and angry at the same time. Was he an idiot? Of course he was! Who wouldn’t be?

ZaiWin sighed again and took a step towards him. But the instant he moved Snow jumped, completely alert again, as if fearing he might actually grab him and force him against his will.

Snow’s obvious distrust was disappointing, to say the least, ZaiWin thought, studying his guarded expression, his body tense and ready to escape him if needed.

“Haven’t I told you before that you can’t hurt me with your daitai?” he patiently reminded him, but Snow’s frown only deepened. “You don’t believe me? If that wasn’t the case, I’d be dead a long time ago. Remember when you froze that entire bedroom? Those other men froze to death but I was fine, wasn’t I?” ZaiWin went on.

Well, he hadn’t been completely fine, ZaiWinrecalled. He had survived, yes. But only momentarily. If not for Snow kissing him, he’d eventually frozen as well. But he wasn’t about to mention that, or to give him enough time to think things through.

“It’s not just you and me. This is true about every Celestial and their Chosen Ones. If I’m supposed to be your protector and your daitai could hurt me, how could I remain by your side when needed?” he pressed on, and finally saw those cold, pale eyes vacillate.

“You thought I was just boasting? It has nothing to do with how amazingly strong I am,” ZaiWin added in a lighter tone, trying to provoke him. “It’s just the way it is.”

“But … there’s no way to be sure! You said it yourself. These daitai … they are different from any other daitai. How can you be certain that that … rule will apply?”

“No matter how different they are, I’m still your Chosen One. Am I not?” ZaiWin argued, and his obvious prideful tone made Snow feel even more embarrassed.

“Your such an idiot …” he breathed without even thinking, his heart floating in happiness and, at the same time, feeling extremely heavy.

“What did you just call me?”

Startled by his own brazenness, Snow raised his head. But then ZaiWin was already right there, in front of him, and the arm he wrapped around his waist made him stumble forward against ZaiWin’s warm chest. Had he really heard him? Was he very angry?

“You damned brat! You’re getting bolder and bolder, of late!”

Snow widened his eyes in alarm. He had obviously heard him!, even though he’d spoken even lower than normal. As for if ZaiWin was really angry or not, Snow couldn’t muster enough courage to raise his head again and check.

A deep sigh made the chest glued to his forehead rise and fall, a wave of warmth caressed the top of his head.

“And they say I’m too serious,” ZaiWin complained.

The arm around Snow’s waist weakened a bit, allowing him to slightly step back, and a warm hand tilted his head back, making him look up at him.

ZaiWin took his time, gently straightening his silver hair. It had grown enough to cover his ears and forehead, ZaiWin noticed with a small smile. He would soon have to braid it or cut it, so that the shiny waves didn’t get into his eyes. And yet, it still felt extremely soft, like a small child’s hair, making one want to simply sit down and spend some time playing with it. Slowly combing his bangs to one side, ZaiWin pressed two fingers to Snow’s tightly knitted eyebrows, softly massaging the tense area.

“You’re always frowning. Always worrying,” he chided, but his tone was so gentle that Snow couldn’t help keep staring at him, completely mesmerized by the most tender expression he’d ever seen on his face.

“You’re just a brat! Behave like one.”

Snow looked away. He had been right. ZaiWin was an idiot. Even if he knew how to behave like that, this was hardly the time to say such irresponsible things like that.

“Do you love me so much that you can’t bear the idea of hurting me?”

Snow’s heart skipped a beat at the sound of those pretensions words, and he couldn’t help look up at him again in outraged disbelief.

“Wha-what?”

ZaiWin smirked devilishly.

“I asked if you love me so much that you can’t bear the idea of hurting me,” he patiently repeated, as if he actually believed that Snow hadn’t heard it the first time. And Snow blinked, completely taken aback, his heart beating so furiously inside his chest he actually doubted his own years.

Love? Him? He loved him …? What was he …? What did it …? Was he supposed to answer that …? How was he supposed to answer? Love? Him? Did he? What had he meant …?

“All right, all right. Stop fretting about it.” ZaiWin playfully ruffled his hair, making him blink in confusion. “You’re going to give yourself a headache.”

Snow lowered his head. Suddenly he felt inexplicably disappointed by ZaiWin’s dismissive tone. He had been seriously trying to come up with an answer, even if he hadn’t been able to really understand the question, to begin with.

“Won’t you give it a try?”

The change in ZaiWin’s voice left a sigh on Snow’s lips.

Snow nodded. And with that single gesture, all the warmth that had been dancing inside his chest turned into cold frost.

Tricky ZaiWin! Giving him a treat only to convince him to do something he doesn’t want to do. ? My poor Snow, being so easily manipulated by this devil! On the other hand, ZaiWin is right. He should learn how to control all his daitai ... ?

 

 

6