CHAPTER 20 : ALCRYAN CAMP 1
131 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coming out of the dark tunnel-like passage, I was met with a blinding light in my eyes and a man.....teen to be precise about 16 years of age, standing on the other end. 

He seems to be looking in my direction with an impatient look in his eyes. However, I didn't have to wait as the next instant I understood the meaning of his gaze from the words that came out of his mouth.

"What's the situation down there, John? Did you find any abnormality?" He asked me while picking his nose.

John was the name of the guy I just killed in the boss's room as it was written on his Id card. He was a researcher In this facility.

Considering what to reply, I looked at the boy, and our gaze met. Before even entering this passage, I had prepared my teleportation technique so I could teleport away at the first sign of danger, nearly guaranteeing my safety. Although I was confident in my abilities, you can never be too careful.

The boy had pitch-black hair and brown eyes, coupled with his average-looking immature face and his weak aura. He didn't look like he was a combatant. He was wearing a red uniform I was familiar with from Arthur's time in alcrya, signifying his identity as alcryan militant.

After half a minute, as if growing tired of the staring contest, he took out his finger from his nose with some dried mucus and threw it in my direction.

My eyes widened in surprise, as not even in the wildest of the probability did I imagine this kind of attack from him. but I still instinctively dodged to the side.

Watching me dodge his weird attack, he looked at me in shock, then started clapping as if amused by my quick movements.

Looking at the boy again, I heaved a sigh. Then said, "A fight must have taken place down there, as I found the ice lizard's corpse."

"What?" Shocked by my words, he blinked his eyes several times. After nearly a minute, he blurted out. "Are you....sure? It was alright just yesterday. You know we were sent to take control of that lizard. Mr Fisher's ass will be kicked along with ours if we failed."

I was once again shocked by the boy, my mouth agape, as he insulted his superior right in front of me.

"So should we.....report it back to Mr fisher or just.....keep it between us," he asked, barely letting out a whisper.

Shaking my head, I answered. "we should immediately report it back."

As if disappointed by my words, the boy rolled his eyes. 

Then he turned around and started walking forward.

Ignoring him, I eyed the place I was in. The passage had led me into a lobby-sized space, having an alignment of rooms on both sides while at the end, there was a single room with a slightly bigger door than the rest, which I assumed to be the room of a person in charge of this place.

As I considered what I should do next, I felt a gaze land on me. Looking back at the source, I raised my mouth slightly in confusion.

"What are doing standing there? Didn't you say we should report that lizard's death?" the boy asked, looking at me intently.

My train of thoughts ran, as I tried to search for a possible way out of this situation but in the end, I just nodded at the boy as he walked in front, taking the lead, me following after him.

"What in the vritra's name are you saying? How could he have died so suddenly?" yelled the plump middle-aged man with the short build in front of me, his face flushed red with blood, look of fear plastered on it.

"We don't know as well sir? We just went to check for the sounds coming from down there yesterday just as you asked and found its corpse." Asher said, weirdly moving his hands trying to describe the scene as if he saw it with his own eyes.

Apparently, Asher was the name of this....weird boy. Which I had just learned as he reported to the man in front of us who was apparently in charge of this place.

Biting his lips in frustration at Asher's words, he ran out of the room in hurry.

We looked at his back until he left our field of vision, then at each other.

"He is fucked." Asher said, yawning.

I left the room, shaking my head.

It's been nearly a week since I've been staying here in this alcryan camp. And I've learned a lot of things. 

There are about 15 people stationed in this facility. Asher and that guy John are assistant researchers while Mr fisher I saw the other day was our senior. The other 12 people are combatants responsible for our safety and were also responsible for capturing the ice lizard we were supposed to take control of.

While I also noticed a conspiracy involving John and Asher set up by Fisher. He sent John and Asher alone in the boss's room despite knowing that neither of them knew how to fight as they both are professionally researchers under alcryan's military.

it didn't take a genius to realize what was he trynna do. And why I only met John in the dungeon well....he lost a round of some weird game to some weird boy. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

As for how I got all this info, Asher told me himself. I just had to ask casually and he blurted out everything he knew. 

He was also a little doubtful, pointed out my change in behaviour, saying I was not this talkative to him before and always talked in a very unfriendly manner. As he said this, I considered whether should I silence him or not but his next words surprised me, as he said he likes this side of me better.

I also learned many things about him. Asher's father was a very successful and famous ascender but several years ago, he offended a rather powerful noble family resulting in him being accused of some crime he didn't commit.

Although Asher didn't tell me what happened after that, I could tell for the most part. They probably executed his whole family but his father timely made him join the military, saving his life.

This also explains what a kid his age doing in the military.

Sympathising with his story, I spared his life as I didn't think he could or anyone in this camp could harm me even if they knew my identity. I was not overconfident in my abilities 

but facts are facts. And if i wanna run away, even an asura won't be able to stop me unless he knows space magic. 

'Im so merciful.' I smiled, feeling proud of my kindness and generosity.

Putting these thoughts aside, I send my will into the dimensional ring on my finger.

A glass tube containing light pinkish liquid materialised in my hand. it was a solution Alcryans used to control mana beasts. I.....borrowed it from Mr fisher's room some days ago without him knowing. Adding some water to it shouldn't weaken its effects, right? Well, whatever, I will just return it to him later.

4