Chapter 1: Bar Fight
5 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rain patters onto the top of a building, producing a soothing sound for those cradling their drinks inside the building, trying to forget the mundanity of life at the bottom of their cups. Down the street paved wide enough two wagons was pitch black only illuminated from the candlelight that leaked out of the windows of this middle-class area.

In the pitter patter of the rain stood two Ratfolk on opposite sides of the street, one huddled on top of a building, eying the tavern, a thief so obvious that the other Ratfolk walking down the street towards the opposite street could tell from a glance, the law abiding Ratfolk paid no mind to his brethren, he was here to learn, he would simply keep an eye out if the very same rat walked into the bookstore he wanted to go to. Thus he walked on and thought no more of the matter.

The thief Ratfolk was green, but talented, he knew that he had been spotted. He went to scurry away but stopped, 'Why should I stop what I'm doin' here? He's one of my own, I ain't gonna target 'im, looks as poor as the hobo outside my tunnel too.' He grunts, thinking unpleasant thoughts of his encounters with the hobo.                                                                                                                                                                                       

The Ratfolk moves on from his thoughts, no money, no food, he had to move on. He scuttered across the rooftops, the tiles not betraying him, although it was to be expected as he was a Ratfolk, not exactly muscle filled and not inclined to gain much weight. He peeked in to a window that was used as a sky light of sorts for the tavern, 'Oy, this looks like it'll be a good haul tonight, have myself fed for a few days!'

Inside was a few figures with varying clothing, but one thing was common, a coin pouch on their side, and apparently none wanted to skimp on the drinking for tonight. The thief jumped down, making sure to not make too much noise in the process. Soon he ended up in front of the door, strolling in casually like any other patron, sitting near a person and signalling for a drink "Oi, barkeep, hit me with your cheapest drink" The barkeep replied "You got it." and then went to produce a cup of cheap beer, it was a familiar taste to the Ratfolk, a common beer among the poor called Ralm Beer, excessively bitter without any of the sweetening the high quality drinks had. He then went to inspect the person he sat next to.

'A Half-Orc? Nah, he ain't tall 'nough, pointy enough ears though, probably an Elf, Orc mix, poor mother either way' He observed the other people around him, in the corner there a was a hooded figure with white skin, orange hair and tail, 'A Tiefling able to afford a drink here? Now that's impressive.' Tieflings were a race more racially discriminated than his was, which was saying something.

On the table closest to him was a bird with the anatomy of a humanoid, looking like he was on a pilgrimage. 'A Monk? Gotta be wary of that, could give me a run for my money in a fist fight, I like my money.' On another table was a dwarf, stout, with a lush beard and hair tied back, like any typical dwarf you could imagine, but what set him apart was the Warhammer on his waist.

The thief whistled 'Now that. Is a nice weapon, my name ain't Vyke Aggestane if I don't steal that on his way home.' Vyke mused to himself at how much it would go for, looked like a family heirloom or something similar. He then decided to make his move on the mixed breed next to him, slowly moving his hand to the coin pouch while taking a drink of his Ralm Beer. He felt the heavy sack of coins, and went to unhook them from the belt, as it detached he heard a voice from the man which made him stop in place for a moment, the mixed breed spoke "I see." with a speed Vyke was not expecting he felt a punch land on his face and send him stumbling away, his arm throwing the coin pouch which landed in front of the barkeep, making his motives clear.

"Ah fuck me, didn't think the Vyke would get caught today" Vyke raised his arms to fight but a punch instantly flew through hitting his face again and throwing him towards the Aarakocra, he grabbed the Aarakocra and threw him against the mixed breed running towards him. resulting in the Aarakocra being ran through, causing the mixed breed to trip. The barkeep ran out the front door past the brawl and could be heard shouting "Guards! There's a thief and a fight!" The dwarf got up and approached, speaking "There's no need to fight, let's calm down guys." Then the mixed breed replied swiftly with picking up the dwarf and catapulting him through the window as if a practiced movement.

A pair of eyes peaked in the window outside as a Dwarf rushed in past them, it was the law abiding Ratfolk, he heard the clanking of a dozen Guards heading towards the tavern, 'Oh good, this will be over in no time then, and I can go back to reading without the noise' He then started walking away before two Guards grabbed his shoulder and threw him against the wall 'Oh for gods sake, not again' He stayed silent, as for if he spoke the most waiting for him was a few punches and kicks.

The rest of the guards rushed past him entering the building, cuffing the Dwarf, Half-Orc and Half-Elf mix, Aarakocra and Vyke. They ended up walking towards the station a few minutes off. "Couldn't have let me just take your money?" Vyke questioned the chained man in front of him, only to receive a slap across the cheek from one of the guards who followed with "Shut up you filthy rat." Vyke decided to listen for his health.

1