Chapter 1: Prologue
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was quite dark but amidst the darkness there were flashes of light followed by loud bangs. It isn’t what you think. They were gunshots. 

How I found myself hiding in an abandoned factory running for my life, you may ask. thing is I don't know myself to be honest. Let me Rewind a bit for you guys to get the full picture. 

People say whatever you put out into the Universe, comes true at the end but for me it was never the case. I didn't lack effort or hard work. What I lacked was love and more importantly a background. 

Don't believe what people say because most of what they say is full of sh... Sorry I didn't mean to curse. After all, being an orphan in the underbelly of a big city isn't easy. most people go about their days and don't pay attention to us. nor do I hope for them to. What I wanted were opportunities to help myself. 

Unfortunately, who would give a skinny malnourished 20-year-old with torn clothes and unkempt brown hair a shot at success. my appearance wasn't that bad btw. It was the only thing I was proud of. After all it was left by my long-dead parents whom I had never known. 

After being kicked out of the foster system I tried to find jobs. I didn't have many qualifications except for graduating high school so I tried to work wherever they would hire me. Washing dishes, sweeping floors but it all was for nought. Nobody gave me the chance I was searching so desperately for. 

Depressed and dejected I was sitting on the sidewalk near a McDonalds when suddenly I saw an expensive blue car parked in the public parking lot. It was late at night and in this part of town a Porsche was quite out of place. 

Being the dumb piece of crap I am, my dumb self I went to check out the car. I don't know why, don't ask me. As I was trying to peer in through the window, I felt something. 

I felt a cold metallic object press on my back and I immediately knew I fucked up.  

I was a mess and a failure, albeit just a cog in the wheel of a larger system, but I didn't want to die. 

"WHAT THE HELL are you doing?" shouted a gruff voice. 

I turned around to see down the barrel of a gun and tall bulky man standing in front of me. 

I cleared my throat. 

"Hello, sir I was just admiring this beautiful car. Don't mind me. I'll leave and let you be." 

As I was about to turn around and walk away, I noticed a dribble of red liquid in the back seat of the car, and I shit myself. 

There is a dead man inside this car. Oh my god. and soon I was going to become one too. 

"You are going nowhere," said the man pressing on harder with his gun and added: 

"Get in the car".  

I obeyed. some of you may be thinking I should've just run but I am not stupid like you, nor do I know how to fight against a gun. So, I just obeyed. 

Just from looking at his tattoo covered arm I could tell he was a part of the Blood Thieves, one of the most notorious gangs int he city.  

In the car was also a blood-smeared suitcase. Probably the former owner of which was lying dead in the backseat. 

Neither of us Spoke as the Porsche zoomed out of the city towards the abandoned docks in the east side of the city. I sat there silently knowing well I was going to be disposed off as well, but I had a plan in mind. 

"Put your hands on the dash and don't try anything funny brat", the man said. 

I shrugged and said, "I don't dare sir". 

Soon the fast but nerve-wracking ride was over as the car parked near a factory. it was dark but I could still make out a few silhouettes standing in front of the yard of what looked like an old shipping yard which had gone out of commission. There were containers lying about. 

"Get out of the car and carry the briefcase and walk towards them." 

Again, I obeyed doing a thousand scenarios in my head of what I had to do to escape. 

One of the guys standing outside said to me as I approached them "Put the suitcase down and put your hands up" pointing another gun at me. 

What is with these people and guns. I sighed and put the briefcase down on the ground in front of them. 

A guy wearing a suit whom I assumed to be an opposing gang leader slowly walked out. 

"Omar, is all the money in the briefcase?" asked the leader looking at the man who kidnapped me. probably named Omar. 

"Yes, it’s all there"! 

" And the man who owed us the money?"  

"DEAD" 

Hearing the answer, the gang leader smirked as he looked at the suitcase. He picked it up, weighed it carefully in his hands and turned around. 

"Kill them both and dispose of the bodies." 

As soon as I heard these words, I felt my blood run cold and started running towards the darkness. 

Behind me multiple gunshots rang out. I didn't even look back and took off. 

Suddenly a shearing pain shook me to my core as I lost all the power in my left leg and fell. I crawled into a corner trying to hide. 

All I could see was darkness and mind-numbing pain which fogged my mind. My hands were trembling trying to hold back the scary amount of blood I was losing. I clutched my leg and curled into a ball. 

at that moment all I could do was blame God. 

I didn't even do anything wrong. All my life I was beaten, bullied and discriminated against and this is the way i die? trying to look at my dream car. I cursed myself and God and my circumstances, but it was all useless as I was dying on the floor of an abandoned dockyard. 

I didn't even know what to think as my vision slowly went dark. All the resentment that had piled up in my 20 years of existence disappearing with me into nothingness.  

“I wish my life was different. I don’t believe in God but if He gave me another chance, I will make a difference," I promised myself as everything went black. 

0