Chapter 12 – 1 Verbeau, Capital of Yorland (1)
92 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dark room shrouded in mystery and the aura of death sits a gathering of villains draped in dark robes. Although these people have no discernible features they are quite famous in the unseen world. Each of them on their own are notorious but together they make up the secret society known as the Vile Brotherood.

Their raucous voices echo in the chamber and the topics of their conversation are grim enough to freeze a child’s blood. Some of the voices brag about how many slaves they’ve sold off this week, or how the latest ritual sacrifice screamed and begged.

One such topic is of overthrowing some small country’s government and turning its inhabitants into test subjects. These people discuss their repulsive actions casually until a new figure enters the room.

While this figure is equally covered in a robe everyone there recognizes this person and all the voices quiet down. One of the room’s people speaks to the newcomer in a deep raspy voice.

「 Madam, we’ve been waiting for you. But for the leading lady to be late, was it not you who called for us? Care to explain? 」

The words spoken though not apparent, were laced with provocation under a sophisticated veneer. To this the woman responds in a quiet and eerie voice that seems to pierce the very air.

Madam「 A situation has occurred. The Oracle has a new prediction. 」

The robed people murmur in hushed tones, visibly shaken by the news. The Oracle, who is gifted with prophetic dreams, is an important part of how the Vile Brotherhood, despite being only a small secret society, has managed to elude the bigger societies til this point.

All those here understand that the Oracle’s word can be a death sentence or salvation depending on their actions from this point on. They wait for the Madam’s continuation with bated breaths.

Madam 「 In her words, “A storm is brewing, beware the rose-adorned gates.” 」

A prediction of a tumultuous future covered with roses, what could it mean? This thought echoed in their minds. Although the interpretation this time should have been clear, yet no one realized that “Thorn” was the key word to focus on.

「 Who cares about that Oracle? Those old cronies of the big 3 have been hounding our business. What do they take the brotherhood for? 」

The man who spoke up in the tense atmosphere sounded young and like a rogue. The big 3 he mentioned were the leading 3 secret societies that stemmed from the strongest gatherings of Mages, Espers, and Cultivators.

The authorities of the big 3 extended to many reaches of the unseen world and they were who the Vile Brotherhood were antagonistic against. The old people he begrudged were the leaders of the big 3 that have reigned for decades, ancient masters that never seem to die.

The 3 leaders of the big 3 have gained mastery over respectively magic, ESP, and martial arts. The big 3 have been aggressively cracking down on the brotherhood’s activities.

Several bases have been vanquished and core members continue to be captured. The attendees raise sentiments of frustration and suggest retaliating.

A woman’s soothing and melodious voice rings out to quell the raging tide, different to the emotionless Madam’s.

「 Well, everyone’s throats will tire out like this. Why not we take a break and have something quench our thirst. 」

With that she claps and signals a servant to enter the room bringing a tray of refreshments. The cups of clear ice water are deftly placed in front of all members in quick succession. The servant exits in a silent manner back through the entrance.

The old rustic voice that spoke at the beginning chuckles and lifts a glass for inspection.

「 Liquids courtesy of the #1 poison master. Seems like ordinary water, I sure hope there’s nothing wrong with it. 」

The old man tilts his head back and downs the water bravely in front of everyone. He puts the cup down and lets out a sigh like he were relishing alcohol.

「 Ah, that hits the spot. I could go for a smoke right about now but I have to watch my health. 」

In the snake’s den of the Vile Brotherhood, various villains discussed and made preparations to fight against the big 3. The leader of this group, watched in silence when her eyes flashed momentarily like a predator eyeing its prey.

Her hand moved and accompanied by a gust of wind a section of the wall was struck down. Within it, a man covered head to toe in black leather clothes like an assassin was discovered. It took the others a moment to recover and react to the intruder, delivering various attacks like a downpour on him.

The intruder rushed out but instead of escaping he moved in a zigzag motion to the Madam while evading the attacks. A gleaming dagger was drawn and he aimed a stab at the woman’s throat.

When the dagger was a few centimeters away it was repelled by a force so fast the assassin couldn’t perceive it. The assassin was soon tied up and hauled away.

The young rogue who spoke offered to lead the torture and interrogation procedure to no one’s objection. In the entire fiasco none of the other members could see how the Madam moved, cementing in their hearts her lofty position.

If any of the members entertained thoughts of probing the Madam’s strength then they swiftly discarded that notion.

Lee 「 And that’s what happened in the meeting the previous day. I almost peed my pants when the Madam suddenly attacked. Luckily it was directed at that assassin instead of me. 」

Lee wraps up his narration of the Vile Brotherhood meeting that he spied on. In case you were wondering he was the waiter who served drinks. His cousin knew the personal attendant to the poison-wielding lady and that’s how he got introduced to the job.

And thanks to that he overheard their whole discussion and relaid it to me. After processing what I heard all I can say is that this organization is more colorful than I expected.

Unfortunately Lee couldn’t do anything besides be a fly on the wall, as even the movement of a hidden assassin was detected in the end.

All I’ve learned is that the leader of the brotherhood is someone referred to as “Madam”, and they had a prophecy about me courtesy of the “Oracle”. Other than that the only members I could distinguish were some rogue, an old smoker, and a venomous lady.

The members don’t really strike me as dangerous but the Madam is certainly an enigma. It feels like she’s the only real threat in that group.

But at least from the sound of it, the brotherhood is too busy to notice me thanks to the big 3 societies. For the time being I’ll have Lee keep me informed of any significant movements while I wait and figure out their plans.

This seedy organization was surprisingly easy to infiltrate, or maybe that’s just how incredibly useful Charm is? Still, if I have to say something…

Becca 「 Shouldn’t it be called a sisterhood since a woman started it? 」

1