A Swimming Pool, A Sea-Serpent, and a Steamboat
920 8 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lift Off

 

A week had passed since they had returned from the 'events' at Arpitan. Mac had now been in Ositania, and it's King, for over seven months. If you had asked him eight months ago, if he would have been watching his dwarven fiance and elven fiance proudly standing next to a steam engine they had built, he would not have believed you.

Obviously.

But, there he was, and there they were, and he could not be happier.

“This is amazing!” Mac said in awe, watching the little steam engine plug along. They had connected it to a simple lift, and it was slowly bringing up a basket of bread to the guards on the wall that surrounded the palace. It's slow, but it works!

Putting an arm around each of his fiances, he hugged them tight.

Charlotte blushed a bit, while Daisy reached over and kissed his cheek.

Still blushing, Charlotte asked, “What should we try to do with it next? The 'train' you mentioned?”

Mac shook his head, giving a smile. “I think that's a couple steps out. You know how I'd liked to get a larger royal carriage eventually?”

Charlotte and Daisy nodded.

“It's probably gonna be too big to be pulled by horses, at least at any reasonable speed. Instead, I wanted to to be pulled by one of these.”

Daisy seemed confused, while Charlotte pounded her fist into her palm.

“That would be incredible! If we apply the force in a way to turn the wheels of the carriage instead of the pulley wheels...I don't think that will be very hard...” Charlotte started explaining, before trailing off in thought.

Daisy scratched her head. “Well, I'll make whatever you need.”

“Actually, about that...how hard do you think it would be to teach other smiths to make these?” Mac asked.

Daisy got nervous. “Errr...Eleanor said not to let anyone outside of the palace even know about this, let alone how to make them.”

Mac shook his head. “Oh I know, I'm not going to incur Elly's wrath. But, if we were to say, hypothetically, hire some dwarves to work on these, could you teach them to make it?”

Daisy looked at the still humming steam engine, the basket now on it's way back down, devoid of bread. “Well, depending on how good they are, probably a month? Then maybe another few weeks to make one and test and adjust until it's working properly. We'd probably get faster with experience, of course.”

Mac smiled, “Excellent. Instead of being upset, Elly is going to love this.”

 

Marie and Bella were in the palace basement, walking to a particular room.

“Erm, Marie, are you sure about this? My whole family has been commoners forever, no secret fallen nobility here,” Bella explained.

Marie shook her head. “I understand. If that's the case, then even more so, I'd like to test you.”

They were heading to the Drain Stone artifact, as Marie had started formulating a theory about magic and it's usage. If Bella has something, then it must be true.

Arriving at the room, Marie opened the padlock leading them inside.

“What...is this the...artifact-thing you mentioned?” Bella asked.

Marie nodded, walking up to it and placing her hand on it. The Drain Stone glowed as the glass surfaced pull in fire from Marie's hand towards the black stone in the middle. “You can see, it pulls my magic from me,” she explained, taking her hand away and forming a small fireball in it.

“So what do I do then? I don't have any magic,” Bella said, again skeptical.

Marie shook her head. “That you know of. Even if you don't know what your magic is, this would pull it from you.”

Bella shrugged, then placed her hand on the Drain Stone.

Immediately, swirls appeared circling around the inner glass of the Drain Stone, as if a cyclone was inside it.

Marie's eyes went wide, mouth grinning ear to ear. Yes! I knew it!

Bella was aghast. “Wha-what!? Am I actually a noble!?”

Marie chuckled. “No, I think magic and nobility aren't as related as we've been led to believe. I've actually seen this before, your magic is the ability to control the wind.”

Bella trembled a bit. “Wha...this can't be...”

Marie grabbed her hand, smiling. “It's okay. Just imagine a light gust twirling your gown.”

Bella nodded, closing her eyes. As she did, her dress flapped around a bit, a small gust twirling around them in the room.

Bella's shock quickly turned into glee. “This is...this is amazing! I can...” she started twirling the wind around her more.

“Hold on, hold on,” Marie said, grabbing her arm. “Don't use it too much, especially while you're pregnant. Magic Fatigue could have adverse affects.”

Bella stopped the wind, slowly nodding. “You mean, I can't use it?”

“No, no, just practice a little bit at a time,” she explained with a smile. “And...don't tell anyone about this quite yet,” she added, her smile slipping a bit. “In fact, don't talk or use it outside of the palace at all.”

Bella seemed confused. “Why though? Are you worried I shouldn't have it?”

Marie shook her head. “No, not at all. I'm more worried about the...societal consequences.”

Bella nodded, before giving her gown a little rustle once more.

 

Emma was currently in the palace yard, heaving huge clumps of ground with her magic. Sheesh, even if I can take out more at a time now, this is hard work.

Mac had asked her to dig out a large square in the ground, one meter deep and ten meters long on each side. She was able to use her magic a lot more now (Marie had been astonished at what she could accomplish before the Magic Fatigue set in) but even so, it was still a pain.

Said requester was walking up to her across the yard, so Emma stopped and ran over, pressing her sweaty body against him.

Mac smiled, leaning down and giving her a kiss. “How's the pool coming?”

“Mmmmmm....” Emma hummed, looking around at it. “I think I've got a ways to go. What is this for, again?”

“Well, first I'm going to use it to finish cleaning the rest of the arms and armor from the bandit subjugation,” Mac explained with a bit of a grimace.

Using his magic to cause electrolysis and remove the rust off the armor was working...but incredibly slowly. He needed a pool of water large enough to clean a bunch at once.

“No, no, the other thing. You seemed really excited about it...” Emma said curiously.

Mac gave a sly smile. “Yes, a pool. An excuse to see all my lovely wives in bathing suits.”

“Bathing suits? But you just bathe naked...” Emma asked, seeming confused.

Mac shook his head. “Not in a pool you don't. Well, you could...but bathing suits are for bathing in public.”

“Why would you bathe in public though?”

 

Mac sighed. I feel like Emma should be the easiest to convince, at least. Thinking for a moment, he continued, “Okay, so did you ever go play in a stream during a hot day?”

Emma nodded and smiled. “Of course! It was always nice and cool after a long day on the farm.”

Mac smiled and nodded back. “Exactly! The pool is like that, except instead of just wearing your normal clothes, or being naked, its a special outfit designed specifically for going into a pool to swim in.

Emma nodded slowly.

“And...they can come in different cute designs for you to wear.”

Emma nodded faster, seeming more interested.

And you can use them to sunbathe and tan yourself in.”

Emma nodded faster, a huge grin now across her face. “Okay, I'll get back to work,” she said, taking out another huge clump of dirt with her magic, now convinced of the virtues of having a pool.

Mac held her from behind, giving her another kiss. “Don't hurt yourself!”

 

That night, Mac was spending with Melissandra, his first night with her since returning from Arpitan.

Melissandra slowly made her way over, hugging him. “Mac...”

Mac smiled, reciprocating her hug. “Mel...”

They then shared a kiss, although Melissandra was exhausted after only a few moments. Giggling, she went and sat on the bed. “Sorry, I'm not a good wife.”

Mac shook his head, “Nonsense. You're the best wife in the Kingdom.”

Melissandra giggled again. “What about your other wives?”

“I tell them that too,” he teased.

Melissandra smiled and sighed and put her head on his shoulder as he sat next to her.

“Mel...” Mac started, before trailing off.

Melissandra raised an eyebrow, looking at him. “What's wrong?”

Mac struggled with what to say for a bit, before asking, “What...was the whole deal with Fawna? She said you talked with her and...I guess I'm just a bit confused.”

Melissandra seemed a bit confused as well. “What do you mean? Do you not like her? I thought...”

“No, I do, I mean...why did you want her to become my concubine?”

Melissandra sighed, before walking over and pouring a cup of water. “I thought she would be a good one. Nothing more or less.”

“I get that, but you know I don't want to take concubines. I mean, I still don't, so...”

Melissandra took another drink of water. “I think you might need too, though.”

Mac, a little irritated, replied back. “Like I said, I don't...” he stopped shaking his head, losing his irritation. “I don't want too.”

Melissanda sat her cup down, before walking back to the bed. Crawling onto it, she sat behind Mac sideways, wrapping her arms around his midsection. “Do you remember when we talked about our future together?”

“Do you mean after we visited Cartegna and Stromvurk?”

“Yes. Do you also remember when I asked you if you trusted me?”

Mac nodded. “Of course. I mean, I do trust you, which is why-”

Melissandra put a finger to his lips. “I was just doing what I thought was best for us, and the Kingdom, which is convincing you to take concubines in the future. Fawna is very devoted to you, so I thought it might work out. Obviously, you still don't want too, so I was wrong. But, I tried what I thought I should try.”

Mac was confused. “Why not just ask me though? Why the roundabout method?”

Melissandra sighed. “If I had gone up to you before you left, and said 'Hey maybe think of taking Fawna as a concubine,' what would you have said?”

Mac scrunched up his face, “Okay, fair point...”

“Plus, I wanted to give Fawna a chance to win you over. I didn't expect her to be so...aggressive. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, you have that way with women,” she added, clasping his head lightly and turning it to kiss her again.

“I was a bit surprised though. Not that it happened, just that everyone approved of her so quickly.”

Melissandra shrugged, before lying on the bed. “I think everyone likes Fawna, so that helped. It's hard to not appreciate her...earnestness. She's cute, too.”

Mac rolled his eyes, “You're all cute,” laying back on the bed next to her.

Melissandra smiled as Mac sidled up next to her, wrapping his arm around her. “I'm still so happy you sleep with me. Well, us.

Mac gave her a kiss. “Of course. My time with you is precious,” he added, as she cuddled up into him.

“I guess you do have the other girls during the day,” she giggled, poking his cheeks. After a couple minutes of cuddling she started breathing softly in sleep, and he smiled and gently touched her cheek back.

If I was really feeling sex-starved, I'd just call Fawna to my office or something.

 

Mac called Fawna to his office the next morning.

“Sire, you called for me?” Fawna asked after she closed the door.

Mac waved her over. I know I thought of this jokingly the night before, but...I guess I can't resist.

As Fawna came over, Mac stood up, wrapping his arms around her.

Fawna blushed, “Sire...”

Mac chuckled, “We're engaged, you should be calling me by name, remember?”

Fawna blushed deeper, but leaned up and kissed him.

Mac gently grabbed her butt over her maid outfit.

“Si-...Mac, I'm working right now.”

Mac nodded. “I know. You said you would relieve me if I ever needed you to though, right?” poking her cheek teasingly.

Fawna instantly understood, tearing his pants down and grabbing his member. Stroking it a few times, she reached underneath her skirt and pulled down her undergarment. Instead of a normal woolen brown one, it was instead lacy-looking black panties.

Mac looked at it. “Wha-....were you expecting this?”

Fawna nodded, “I wanted to make sure I was prepared, just in case.”

Mac smiled, kissing her again, before gently pushing her up against his desk. Inserting himself into her from behind, he started thrusting rapidly, grasping her breasts tightly as he slid in and out.

Fawna put her arm up to her mouth, trying to keep her moans in.

After a minute, Mac released inside her, grabbing around her midsection tightly.

Fawna turned around and held him, “Are you fine now?”

Mac picked her up, setting her down on his desk and kissing her again. “I'm not that selfish,” he explained, unzipping her maid outfit, he started squeezing her breasts, delicately licking her nipples as he wrapped his arms around her again and inserted once more. He started thrusting quicker and quicker, until Fawna was red in the face.

She then started moaning in pleasure, before spasming in his arms, shaking the desk.

“Now we're both fine,” he smiled, giving her another kiss.

Fawna blushed, taking a few moments to calm herself down, before fixing her clothing and getting up to leave. Halfway to the door, she stopped and ran back, and hugged him again, burying her nose into his chest, her antlers ticking his chin. After satisfied with her hug, she then ran back to and out the door.

Mac sighed, I wish she could have stayed longer, but I guess we're both busy.

 

Matters of Land

 

Marie, Mac, and Eleanor sat in the council chamber, a map of Ositania on the table.

Eleanor, despite hunched a bit with her baby bump resting against the table, was especially excited. “My first meeting as Finance minister!” she said, reaching over and hugging Mac.

In his effort to formalize his and his wives jobs a bit, he was slowly doling them out more official titles. Emma was already the Agricultural minister, and now Eleanor was their Finance one. Granted, she wouldn't really be doing anything different than she already was, at least for the time being...

Bar smiled, hugging her back. “Alright, let's get started.”

Marie nodded. “First off, we need to figure out what we're doing with the confiscated estates of Lord Oran and Lord Arpitan.”

“Lord Oran's should have been put in the Agricultural fund, right?”

Marie nodded, as Eleanor handed him an account statement for the Agricultural fund. “His money has, but the land is currently just being run by Lord Cartegna.”

Mac looked at the map. He assumed it had to do partly with the fact they were related, but Lord Oran's land butted up against the northern part of the Cartegna estate. “Errmmm...maybe this is just me being lazy, but wouldn't it be easy to just give it to Lord Cartegna permanently?”

Marie shook her head, “No, I don't see an issue with that. We could just announce it as a reward for his successful leadership during the bandit subjugation.”

Mac nodded, “I'm good with that.”

Marie hurriedly wrote that down. “Now, Lord Arpitan's case is a little different. He has a city, if a small one, and we haven't done anything with his assets yet.”

Mac scrunched his face. “I'm assuming just giving this to Lord Cartegna as well won't work?”

Eleanor giggled, “Father would think you're trying to kill him through work.”

Mac raised an eyebrow, “I thought you were running the estate?”

Eleanor nodded, “I do, but there's only so much I can do from the capital, some of it father has to do on location.”

Mac nodded in understanding.

“I have a suggestion,” Marie said, thinking.

Mac and Eleanor looked at her expectantly.

“Some of your wives are now of noble status due to your weddings, but don't have any estates or houses to fall back on. We could give it to one of them.”

Mac was confused. “What do you mean? They're part of the royal family...”

Marie nodded, “Yes, but that's only the case right now. Those of more than two connections away aren't permitted to live in the palace, so it's fine right now, but once your a couple generations in, they can't all stay. And honestly, I don't even want to think about how many grandchildren you might have...” she said, grabbing her head.

Mac was a bit incredulous. “But...you're the one who first told me to have a bunch of children!”

Marie smiled, blushing a bit, “Yes, and I'm glad you are, but we can only fit so many of them in the royal palace. If we were to give the Arpitan domain to one of your wives as a bequeathment, that gives your grandchildren and great-grandchildren who aren't part of an established house somewhere to go.”

Mac slowly nodded as he comprehended the importance. It's hard to even think about grandkids when my own aren't even out yet, but I need to make sure I'm planning for their future, too...

Marie, seeing Mac was considering the idea. “I'm thinking-”

“Emma,” Mac finished her sentence.

Marie smiled. “Nothing against Felicia or Fawna, but I think their strengths lie elsewhere. After seeing her develop over the past few months, I don't see any reason she couldn't run an estate just fine. With some help from me, of course,” she adjusted her glasses and smirked.

Mac wrapped an arm around her, kissing her cheek, causing Marie to blush a bit.

“Anyway,” she coughed, “what about Lord Arpitan's non-land assets? Since he both committed tax fraud and tried to kill a royal, there's no issue with us confiscating it.”

“For the gold coins, I think we should use that for my program,” he said, pointing to a stack of papers.

Marie nodded. “For resettling Toulouse? I think it's an excellent idea. I'm worried about the long term costs, but...” she trailed off.

Mac looked at her. “But...?”

Marie shrugged, “It's hard to quantify. It's expensive, but you're basically trying to force something that normally happens naturally over generations to happen in a few short years. Every ruler, even 'bad' ones, want settlements to grow or new ones to pop up, since that means a larger tax base and more soldiers.”

Mac nodded. “Of course. In this case, since they're refugees, it makes sense to help them out.”

Marie tilted her head.

Mac seemed concerned. “Do you not agree?”

Marie shook her head, “No, of course I want to help our refugees. It's just...”

Mac waited while she thought.

Marie continued, “After reading Emma's program documents, it made me think a lot about supply chains. Not just for food, but everything. Clothing, tools, even arms and armor. You know how we lost a lot of population in the last war?”

Mac winced a bit, “Yes, I remember from your lessons.”

Marie nodded, “I'm wondering if that had less impact on supply chains then it could have because while we lost people, the ones who remained were packed in a smaller space.”

Mac understood where she was going. “So you think moving them around could hurt them? But wouldn't it take pressure off because people will be more spread out?”

Marie, to his surprise, shook her head. “Six years ago, right after the war, I would have agreed. But now, everything's adjusted. Remember Emma's report about the food in Loren? The whole reason the price gougers were upset was because even just a few refugees leaving meant they couldn't sell all their food. And that's with Loren still having a decent number of refugees.”

Mac sighed, closing his eyes. Ugh, and this will exacerbate that. “You're way too smart Marie.”

Marie blushed a bit, “I did get the Magistrate position for a reason...”

Mac scratched his chin. “So, what do we do?”

“Nothing.”

Mac looked at her, raising an eyebrow and lowering his chin.

“Nothing yet. I think it's just something we need to keep an eye on. Emma's plan will already take care of food shortfalls, so we may need to step in if they occur with other essential goods as well.”

Eleanor's eyes lit up. “That's where I come in!”

Mac nodded. “How are we doing, actually? I haven't seen the treasury in a while.”

Eleanor smiled, “Really well. We've sold a lot of zipper dresses. They've started to fall off with sales to other nobles, just because most have quite a few at this point, but we've started selling the tracksuits as well.”

“And?” Mac asked.

Eleanor frowned, “It doesn't seem like the men of the kingdom are as keen on them as you are...”

Mac shook his head. “Maybe I'll wear one on my next official outing.”

Eleanor giggled, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks.”

Marie asked, “I remember you said you wanted to collect the gold bars...” she said, as if to remind Mac.

Mac nodded. “Oh yes, about that....what are all the uses of gold bars? We talked about Lord Arpitan potentially using them to pay foreigners.”

Marie nodded. “That, or used as tribute if you need to pay a foreign country in a more official capacity.”

Mac grimaced, “Let's hope we never have to do that.”

Marie nodded. “Additionally, we could use them to smelt more currency. We haven't actually done that since the war...”

Mac nodded. “Elly, I want us to start stocking up on gold bars. Any funds we have that you don't think we'll need to convert for a while, buy them up.”

“Are you...going to do something with them?” she asked.

Mac shook his head. “Not right away. I want them in an emergency.”

Marie looked over her glasses at him. “What emergency though? We can't help you if we don't know what you're doing.”

Mac averted his eyes a bit, embarrassed. “It's kind of...mean...”

Marie raised an eyebrow, while Eleanor gave a devious grin. “Oohhh, Mac, you have to tell us now.”

“Well, this goes back to what Marie was talking about earlier with supply chains. What happens if we cut off the supply of money?”

Marie and Eleanor looked up, thinking. Eleanor was the first to respond, “It would be harder to do business, and people would resort more to bartering.”

Mac nodded.

Marie added, “If we're talking about gold specifically, commoners wont be affected much since they normally deal with coppers and silvers, but merchants and nobles would be affected, since they aren't able to barter as well. Plus, stuff like taxes always needs paid in gold, not goods or services.”

Mac smiled, seeing they were getting it. “It's not an issue with our country right now, but what happens if countries who need to mint more every year...can't?”

“You create inefficiencies, and at worst you cause tax collection issues for the kingdom. Or force the nobles to pay in other ways,” Eleanor replied.

Mac wrapped an arm around her now. “Exactly.”

Marie seemed confused, “What do you hope to gain by hoarding the gold though?”

Mac pointed to Provent. “Hypothetically, what happens if Provent wants to march on us again, but they don't have the gold coins to pay their soldiers? Or buy equipment? It's not like we'd be able to completely cut off their supply, of course, but maybe they'd only be able to raise eighty percent of what they could have if they'd had access to more gold to mint to pay the troops or buy other supplies.”

Marie's eyes widened, as if she'd had an epiphany. “That's...that's genius! And you were calling me smart.”

Mac blushed a bit. “It's just my economics courses, and applying them to this world...”

Marie was looking at the map, as if doing calculations. “It's like fighting a war, but with...economics. We still need our soldiers, of course, but to do something like knock out that many troops before the battle started...”

Eleanor had other thoughts on her mind. “And what if a friendly or neutral country came to us seeking gold? Would we sell some of our stock at an inflated price?”

Mac nodded, “Exactly. Which is why we need to keep our buying on the down-low. Especially the reasoning. If anyone asks, we could just say the Otherworlder king is fascinated by gold. Or maybe I want to pave my room with gold bars. Or have a suit of armor made from solid gold.”

Eleanor's eyes looked in the distance, as if she was actually imagining it. “Such a golden king...”

Mac poked her cheek. “I'm not serious...”

Marie had been furiously writing the last minute, hunched over piece of paper, before grabbing another and continuing. Eventually she finished, and slapped the table. Looking up at Mac, she grinned, “I'm going to go set this in motion.”

 

Dwarf in a Dress

 

Daisy looked over the railing on her veranda, the wooded countryside around the palace stretching out around her. Probably not many dwarfs have seen this view...

Actually, no dwarves had seen that view, as Marie had checked and there were nothing in the Records about a king having taken a Dwarf Queen before.

She then looked at the railing she was holding onto, which came up to almost her shoulders. I guess this wasn't meant for a dwarf either. Still serves its purpose, though... she though, instinctively inspecting the handiwork of the metal. Not bad.

She was still getting used to her new room in the palace. It was a big adjustment from her shack, as she wasn't used to having such a large room. Or being so high up.

Shaking her head, she walked over to her large wardrobe. Inside was a smattering of dresses. Grabbing an orange one, she put it up against herself and looked in the mirror.

She blushed as she thought about wearing it. What a lovestruck fool of a dwarf I am, getting excited about dressing up for a date. Her thoughts couldn't hide the giddy smile on her face, though, and she quickly took off her sarashi and pants, before putting on some proper undergarments (which Eleanor had helped her pick out) and then the orange dress (which Felicia and her sister had made for her).

She did an awkward twirl in the mirror, blushing a bit as she watched herself. I really am-

A knock came at the door.

“Come in.”

The door opened, Mac coming through, acting a bit surprised at Daisy.

“Whaddaya think?” she asked.

Mac came over, leaning over and giving her a smooch on the lips as he wrapped his arms around her. “Absolutely beautiful.”

Daisy blushed, “Oh, you, stop it...”

Mac shook his head. “I'm torn. I want to throw you on the bed and make love to you, but I also want to continue seeing you in your dress...” he said, as if pondering an impossible dilemma.

Daisy chuckled, lightly elbowing him. “Oh, shut it. I wouldn't mind getting in the sack with you, but I dressed up so we could go out!”

Mac smiled, grabbing her hand and leading her out. “Let's go then.”

 

Mac and Daisy made their way out of the palace, and started heading towards the city. Ever since the assassination attempt, he wasn't allowed out of the palace without guards (even if going incognito) so two guards were accompanying them as they came.

“Sorry it's not just us,” Mac whispered to her.

The guards weren't exactly shadowing them, but they were probably close enough to hear any normal conversation they had.

Daisy shook her head. “It's okay, I don't want you getting stabbed again,” she explained. “Although...they'd regret coming after you while I'm close...” she said, smacking her fist into her hand.

Mac blinked a few times as he watched her heavily muscled arms (clearly visible since she was wearing a very short-sleeved dress) ripple with each punch. “Yeah...”

Daisy blushed as she saw Mac staring at her.

“Do you have any combat training?” Mac asked, curious now.

Daisy nodded. “Course. All dwarfs get trained the basics, at least. I was always a good smith, though, so I made arms during the last war.”

Mac realized he had never even considered that before. His non-human partners would already have been decades old six years ago. “How was living through that?”

Daisy shook her head. “Terrible times. Really, the dwarfs didn't have it as bad as some, though. My father and and uncles were a part of Lord Harald's force. They fought in the battles near the border, then retreated to defend Stromvurk when the royal army retreated to the capital. Provent tried sieging us, but that didn't really work since we could take the lifts up top of the mountain.”

Mac nodded. “I feel like Stromvurk is easily defensible, you just have to defend the entrance, and it's not like you can fling stones through a mountain...”

Daisy seemed confused but nodded anyway. “Only thing we really had to worry about was food, but since we can grow some crops on the mountains, and import supplies through tunnels from Navar, it didn't really work. Eventually, when Provent was weakened by invasions, the besiegers were thinned out enough Lord Harald led a sortie out to blow 'em away. Then, he marched on the capital, and caught the remains of the army there in a pincer with the royal army.”

Mac nodded, thinking he had mostly followed along. I'm glad I have people who actually understand military matters. “Thanks for telling me, I didn't mean to make our date depressing...”

Daisy smiled and shook her head. “That's what bein' married is about, right? Sharing memories and stuff...”

Mac wrapped an arm around her as they walked. “That's right.”

 

They stopped by the royal family's favorite cafe, grabbing some coffee (as dwarves, including Daisy, much preferred that over tea). As she started taking chugs of it, Daisy asked, “Why don't you tell me about yourself? What did you do before you came here?”

Mac raised an eyebrow. “You mean in my previous world?”

Daisy smiled and nodded, “Yeah. I forget about it sometimes, but you weren't even born here.”

Mac thought for a moment. “Well, before I got summoned here, I was a student.”

Daisy sat down her coffee, a bit confused. “Aren't you a bit old to be a student?”

Mac gave a wry smile, “Even in my world, yes, although not that old. I was taking classes to prepare me for a job. Think of it like...the administrative lessons Marie gives Emma. Or even the lessons you got on smithing.”

Daisy nodded, understanding that analogy. After a few more gulps, she asked, “So, why'd ya stay though? Did you not like being a student?” she got a naughty grin, “or you were just crazy over the girls here?”

Mac chuckled, “I won't pretend like that wasn't a large part of it, but...” he trailed off looking as if he was reminiscing. “I guess...I didn't really feel like I had any goal. Or any purpose. But I had that here. People needed me, relied on me.”

Daisy blinked a few times, before smiling. “I sure rely on ya...”

Mac shook his head. “And I rely on all of you. Especially my resident dwarfsmith.”

Daisy blushed, before leaning over and giving him a smooch.

Mac did his best seductive look, before whispering over, “While I did enjoy seeing you in this dress, I think I'm ready to switch and throw you on the bed now.”

Daisy chuckled, before grabbing Mac and swinging him over her shoulder, and running out the door and towards the palace.

The two guards that had been watching them from outside were momentarily stunned at the turn of events, before quickly taking off after them.

 

Journey to Arkanta

 

Now that the pressing issues had been resolved (or at least had resolutions set in motion), next on the agenda was a meeting with the representatives from Arkanta.

As had become tradition, they were discussing who should accompany Mac on the trip during their dinner.

“I'd very much like to visit the sea, but I don't think Tillie would approve,” Eleanor said forlornly as she poked her stomach gently.

Mac nodded. She, Melissandra, and Felicia were all only a couple months away from their expected due dates, and there was no chances being taken with the first royal heirs. They had daily visits with Tillie and were basically confined to the palace.

Marie cleared her throat. “I believe Kay, Rhea, and I should accompany you.”

Mac looked over at her, and she continued explaining, “Kay because of the Arktantans commentary on beast-humans. Rhea for her extra protection capability. And myself for help negotiating.”

Kay grimaced, “As much I would love another trip with Mac, my sickness has been a bit...debilitating.”

Mac wrapped an arm around her, and put a hand on her stomach, with Kay giving a smile and nosing him a bit.

Marie nodded, “Nothing to do about that, then.”

Mac asked her, “Are you going to be okay?”

Marie blushed, “I'm not even showing yet, and Tillie gave me the okay for a trip at this stage.”

Mac nodded. “Well, that's good at least.”

Marie looked towards the other end of the table. “Fawna, I think we'll need you then.”

Fawna, who had been silently sipping some stew, blushed, “I was already going though, since I'm Mac's maid.”

Marie shook her head. “I know, I meant we'll need you to go as a fiance. No maid outfit while you're accompanying him this time.”

Fawna blushed, “But...you're his fiance...”

Marie smirked and pushed up her glasses. “Yes, but I'll be accompanying as part of my Magisterial duties.”

And as his fiance,” Melissandra added, causing everyone to giggle as Marie blushed a bit.

Rhea, who was chomping through a plate of just rolls, swallowed and said. “I actually need to leave for a bit.”

Everyone turned to look at her.

Rhea blushed, “It's nothing serious, I just need to go visit someone.”

Melissandra, who was sitting across from her, asked, “Who might that be?”

Rhea smiled deviously. “It's a secret. Well, for now, I'm going to try to bring her back with me.”

Mac raised an eyebrow. Maybe one of her spirit siblings? Or an old acquaintance from before she was trapped? “That's fine. I guess I'll be extra careful.”

Felicia smirked, “Try to make this one assassination-attempt free, so we don't have to worry.”

Mac gave a weak smile. “It's not like I particularly want that to happen...”

Suddenly Charlotte, who had been seemingly not paying attention while eating a pie, perked up. “Wait...this...Ludout, it's a town on the sea, right?”

Mac nodded.

“Please please please, bring me! I wanted to test the engine-boat!”

“Engine...boat?”

Charlotte vigorously nodded. “Yes, it was in the same book as the engine. You use it to propel yourself on the water without sails or oars.”

While the other woman were all surprised, Mac just nodded. After a moment, he replied “That would be great, but do you have all the parts? Like the propeller and...whatever else you might need?” I don't even know what a steamboat requires...

Charlotte nodded again.

“Well, okay, it's not like I'm unhappy you're coming. Does that mean Daisy is coming too?” he asked, turning to this dwarf partner.

Daisy blushed and put down the chicken thigh she was holding, shaking her head. “Nah, I need to start preparing for the ceremony, since I'm next...”

It had been decided that next would be Daisy's wedding, partly due to her being next in order (at least from having met Mac) and partly due to Lord Harald already starting preparations in Stromvurk by himself.

Mac nodded in understanding. “Yeah, I'd rather not anger him by pushing it out any further.”

Emma poked his side, “You mean, 'you're excited to marry Daisy'.”

Daisy blushed a bit, looking down at her plate.

Mac smiled, “Well, that goes without saying.”

 

A couple days later, and the wagons were once again being loaded. Several of the guards were gently lifting up the steam engine into one of the wagons, while another was carrying a large propeller behind them.

Don't we need an actual boat, too?

Since La Hire was coming in his duty as Captain of the Guard, Fiona and Kelly were part of the maid corp for the trip. Kylie was also coming this time, having requested to go as well.

She seems like she's doing okay, Mac thought with a small smile. He had heard later about the scare she'd had with the Arpitan Magistrate, though luckily La Hire and guards had managed to stop him.

“Umm...Mac...” he heard from a soft voice behind him. Turning, there was Fawna, donning a light blue dress, and blushing heavily, looking up at him.

Ugh, she's so pretty... Mac started thinking, before stopping himself. He then got upset that he had stopped himself. His mind had been a mess lately, as he would try to prevent himself from favoring any of his fiance's or wives over the others, but in doing so would realize he was doing a disservice to the one he was currently with.

Closing his eyes to try and reset his brain, he opened them and smiled. “You look wonderful in that.”

Fawna blushed and smiled, running the few steps between them and wrapping her arms around him.

As he did, he saw behind her Charlotte, who was wearing a t-shirt and short-shorts, and holding a bag of books. She was blushing and looking away, “I...I just wanted to wear something comfy in the carriage...”

Trying to comfort her, Mac shook his head. “You're pretty too, Charlotte. Although, maybe don't wear that in front of the Arkantans.”

Charlotte blushed further, “I packed dresses too! And...” she stopped, blushing even further and running into the carriage.

Mac wasn't sure how to respond. You don't need to be so embarrassed Charlotte...

Fawna, who had reacted the same as Mac, took the opportunity to hug him again.

Marie showed up, wearing her normal pantsuit. “I'm happy to see you getting along with your newest fiance, but we need to leave if we're to get to the inn in time. Most of today's trip is uphill.”

Fawna let go nervously.

Mac sighed, “Should you be saying stuff like that still? We're engaged.”

Marie gave a devious smile, leaning over towards him. “Of course! I may be your fiance, but I'm still your Magistrate. Besides, I can't let these young girls monopolize your attention,” she added, poking his chest with a blush, and walking into the carriage.

Fawna followed after her, leaving Mac alone outside it.

But Charlotte is over a hundred years old...

 

As Mac got into the carriage, he saw Fawna, Marie, and even Charlotte (foregoing reading her books (for now)) drinking tea at the table.

This is kind of an...interesting group. They're all quite a bit different.

The three of them turned to look at Mac as he was staring at him, before blushing a bit.

Okay, maybe not that different.

Mac took his normal spot by the window. It feels a bit weird not having Rhea with me. Actually, she can probably tell I'm thinking about her, can't she?

The carriage started rolling, and instead of going towards and through the capital as every other trip had started, they began by turning and heading north instead, behind the palace and through the forest.

Ludout was a small town (more a village, according to Marie) on the northern coast of Ositania. It was mainly inhabited by fishermen, with a few docks for seafaring merchants, but not much else. Well, until now, as the Arkantans had wanted to use it as the meeting place for negotiations. Marie had surmised it was the closest town to there country, or at least wherever their royals lived.

Taking his eyes away from the sea of trees, he looked over and listened to his three fiance's.

Fawna, who seemed a bit nervous around Marie, asked, “Um, Marie, can I ask you something?”

Marie smiled, trying to be reassuring. “Of course.”

“When...when King Mac was summoned, why didn't you just seduce him then? I heard from Melissandra that it was hard to get Mac to accept woman at first, but it sounds like you could have done it yourself.”

Marie blushed, covering her face with a hand, while glancing over at Mac. “Well...a few reasons, actually. First, I didn't think Mac would be into an older woman like me. And he was very much into Melissandra at the time,” she said, smiling over at Mac.

Mac shrugged. “I won't deny that.”

Marie continued, “Secondly, I...” she blushed, “...I stopped being, well I thought I had stopped being able to have children, and the most important thing at the time was getting a royal heir.”

Fawna seemed confused. “But why did you think you couldn't?”

“I...” Marie blushed, looking at Mac, “...I...my normal...functions...weren't happening.”

Fawna blinked a few times. “You mean your period?”

Marie blushed and put her fingers to her forehead. “Yes, my period. Normally noblewoman are taught to not speak about such things in front of men, but I'm guessing it's not the same with commoners.”

Fawna blushed, “Sorry, I didn't know.”

Mac, feeling a bit awkward, tried to reassure her. “Um...it's perfectly fine. I took physiology classes, I know how the body works. Well, for the most part...”

Marie nodded, fixing her glasses, though still blushing a tad. “So, yes, I wasn't having my period. Tillie thinks I lost it from stress and depression after my husband died, and that I regained it after Mac and I...started being lovers.”

Fawna smiled gleefully. “Tell me about that!”

Marie still blushed but now smiled, before launching into the tale of her plan to seduce him. And following through with the plan.

Meanwhile, Charlotte was blushing heavily, looking into her tea the whole time.

Mac, a bit worried, walked over and put his hands on her shoulders, scaring her a bit. He then leaned over and gave her a kiss, as if to reassure her.

Charlotte blushed again, before smiling and looking back at her tea.

 

The ride was slow-going, as they made their way further and further up the mountain. By dusk, Mac could actually see Pearie behind them in the distance, with the palace nearby, all the way at the base of what they'd been climbing.

“We should be there soon,” Marie said, coming behind him and looking out. “It's been a while since I was this way.”

“Is there not a lot of traffic that goes over the mountain?” Mac asked. “I feel like we barely saw anyone.”

Marie shook her head. “There's not a lot of reason to, besides maybe bringing some fish or pearls. And it's hard on the wagons and horses. I would have advised against it, if this weren't an important meeting.”

Charlotte, who had snuck up behind them (Fawna was napping on the bed), asked, “Would using the engine make it easier?”

Mac shook his head back and forth. “Yes...but you would need to burn more fuel to get it up here.”

Charlotte nodded, staring off into the distance, as if she was considering all the possibilities.

 

Inching Closer...

 

Soon, they hit a small plateau in the mountain. Up ahead, Mac could see an inn appearing in the moonlight filtering through the trees (which had gotten more sparse the farther up they went). As they got close, he noticed the inn seemed made out of warped trees, and he got an instant sense of deja vu.

Marie, noticing Mac's reaction, smirked. “Yes, it was made by elven woodshapers. Well, woodshaper. It's run by an elf lady who's been here for hundreds of years.”

As they pulled up and exited the carriage, an elf lady came out to greet them. “Princess Charlotte, it's good to meet you.”

Charlotte smiled and blushed, “Um...nice to meet you, too.”

The lady smiled back at her. “I guess technically we did meet before, but you were only a baby then,” she smiled, as if reminiscing.

Charlotte didn't seem to know how to respond, so Marie jumped in. “Thank you for allowing us to rent your inn.”

The lady smiled, “Oh, that's perfectly fine. Some nights I don't even have customers, so someone renting out the whole inn is splendorous!”

She led them inside, where a smorgasbord of food was already laid out, golden rolls and hot stew, as well as stacks of rabbit meat and game pies. And, for some reason, steamed mushrooms.

The maids looked at Marie, who shrugged, so instead of preparing dinner, they all sat down right away and started eating.

The elf-lady innkeeper smiled as she watched everyone eat. “Oh, this is so wonderful!” and kept pushing food onto people's plates.

Grabbing the mushrooms she gave some to Mac, “Here, this will give you an extra boost in energy!”

Mac shook his head, “I'm okay...”

Marie, who was sitting next to him, smirked a bit, while Fawna, who was on the other side, blushed.

Mac shook his head, I'm with Charlotte tonight anyway!

Charlotte, for herself, was focused on her bowl of stew, as if still deep in thought from earlier.

Mac did decide to sample one of the mushrooms. This isn't too bad, actually. Too bad they don't have deep-frying in this world. Actually, I wonder if we could make that...

The elf lady continued coming in and out of the kitchen, cooking more and more until everyone at the table was unable to eat any more.

At the end, she wiped her forehead, giving a satisfied sigh. “Ah, that was nice, it's been forever since I had such a large crowd to feed.”

As Mac leaned back in his chair, Charlotte whispered over, “Um, I'm going to go take a bath...”

Mac smiled and nodded in understanding. “Okay, I'll wait a bit before I come up.”

Charlotte blushed and got up, walking up to their room.

After she was out of sight, Marie and Fawna turned on him. Pouring some wine, Marie shoved it over to him.

Mac, wondering what they would want, gently took a sip as they watched him. It was a very sweet wine, similar to the type Marie normally drank.

Marie smiled, “How are you and Charlotte doing?”

Fawna nodded along, seeming to want to hear as well.

“Perfectly fine. Why are you asking?”

Marie sighed. “Melissandra won't tell us anything, saying it's private between you and Charlotte.”

Mac gave a sideways smile. “It is, right?”

Marie looked at him sternly. “Everyone knew about us within days, so...”

“Well, our circumstances were...different.”

Marie blushed a bit, but nodded. “Still, I'm merely worried about the internal situation. At the rate you and Daisy are going, we'll have a royal half-dwarf heir in no time. Then the elves will start complaining, thinking you aren't fond of your elven wife. Or worse, think something is wrong with Charlotte.”

“We're not even married yet though!” Mac protested.

Marie smirked, “That didn't stop you with most of us,” she said, looking over at Fawna.

Fawna blushed and smiled, grabbing Mac's arm in hers.

“I'm sure Sophia will probably announce a date for your wedding right after Daisy's, as well, so even that excuse won't hold long,” Marie said, a serious look on her face.

Mac nodded, understanding the situation.

“I'm not telling you to go do anything rash, but...maybe try and inch a bit closer this trip?” Marie smiled.

Fawna nodded in agreement. “I'm sure she'll want to have sex all the time, just like us!”

Marie blushed heavily and held her forehead, looking down, and mumbling, “We're starting your etiquette lessons as soon as we're back...”

 

After giving his other fiance's a kiss goodnight, Mac went upstairs, assuming Charlotte had had enough time to bathe and change.

I kind of want to bathe as well, so hopefully she doesn't mind...I guess at worst she can leave for a bit. Or knowing her, she might be asleep already...

He knocked, and heard a soft 'come in' reply. Opening the door, Charlotte was sitting on the bed and wearing an elegant white nightgown, and brushing her hair. She blushed a bit as she noticed Mac looking at her.

“You're as cute as ever,” Mac said with a smile.

While Charlotte did blush, she also smiled, and said, “Thanks.”

Huh...that's un-Charlotte-like, but I like the smile. Seeing the bath was still steaming, he asked, “Do you mind if I take a wash? I don't want you uncomfortable, but...”

Charlotte shook her head, continuing to brush and looking away.

Mac walked over, quickly stripping out of his traveling tracksuit and slipping into the tub. His muscles ached from traveling in the carriage, and he had eaten a lot, so he decided to just soak a bit at first.

As he was relaxing, he heard Charlotte stop brushing, then jump off the bed, before fumbling around with something.

“Um...are you okay?” Mac asked back, but without turning his head.

He heard some walking, and then something soft hit the ground. Then, an arm reached next to him, grabbing the scrubbing brush.

Turning around quickly, Charlotte was there in white lingerie, blushing heavily and holding the brush.

“Can I...scrub your back?”

 

...Then All At Once

 

Mac blushed as she saw Charlotte glistening behind him. Her soft white skin, the lacy and even whiter lingerie stark against it, and her golden hair sparsely covering her slightly protruding chest.

Wait, why am I blushing!? This isn't even...no, Charlotte is just that alluring.

Mac turned his shoulder back around. “Um...sure...if you're okay with it.”

There was no response, as Charlotte gently pushed him forward to expose more of his back, and started gently scrubbing.

Mac didn't say anything, just trying to keep his breath steady as she made circles with the brush.

“Your arms,” she said softly.

Mac raised his arms up, and she started scrubbing that as well. She scooted herself around, putting herself in full view of Mac.

Mac was about to look away, but realized Charlotte must want him to look, so he did.

Charlotte noticed, of course, but didn't say anything, a hint of a smile on her face. But mostly determination.

After a minute, Mac realized where she was determinedly looking. His now erect shaft.

Well, I mean, of course I was going to get like this...

Charlotte stopped scrubbing. “Can...can I...” she said.

Mac waited for more, but she didn't say anything. “Can what?”

Charlotte stared more intently. “Can I touch it?”

Realizing he should have already guessed that, he nodded.

Charlotte reached into the water, grabbing while looking away. Her eyes went wide, “What...what!? It's so big, my hand won't go around it!”

“That's...my leg...” Mac said, trying not to laugh.

Charlotte blushed heavily, covering her face with her wet hands, and running to the bed.

Mac quickly dried off, before walking over to her. “It's okay, you don't need too-”

Charlotte looked up at him, “But, I want to! I want to...to...” she stopped as she could now clearing see Mac's member in full view, standing at attention.

I need to take the lead, Mac realized. Often he would let his partners initiate, but he thought Charlotte needed a little extra help over the finish line.

Sitting down next to her, he gently turned her shoulders and started to kiss her. Softly at first, then deeper and deeper, before lightly pushing his tongue in.

Charlotte and he had made out before, so she knew what to do, seeming to gladly reciprocate. Then, he leaned over and whispered, “Tell me if you don't like something,” and reached around, undoing her bra.

“Kay picked this out for me,” she said, blushing and looking away, but not stopping him at all.

Mac chuckled, “She did a fantastic job, you look...alluring...” he whispered again.

Charlotte blushed even harder, her face probably at it's maximum redness already.

Mac slid off her bra, revealing her small breasts.

“Kay also said...you like small chests too...” she said, making a point of not covering them.

Mac nodded, gently grabbing them and squeezing.

Charlotte gave off a cute moan, leaning back and falling over on the bed.

“Are you okay?” Mac asked, letting go of her.

Charlotte nodded, “Please continue.”

Mac raised his eyebrows, but did as asked. This time, he leaned over, delicately licking her nipples. He noticed Charlotte was keeping her eyes open the whole time, watching him.

Wrapping his arms around her, he pulled her close so their bare chests were touching, making out with her once more.

After a couple minutes of this, Charlotte grabbed his shoulders.

“What's wrong?” Mac asked.

Charlotte's eyes watered a bit. “I...I...”

Mac waited, but she looked down. “Are you...”

“Mother told me not to say it...” Charlotte said. “She said it would go to your head.”

Mac blinked a few times. “What?”

Charlotte blushed once more, before squeezing him closely again. “I love you!”

Oh... “I...love you too. I love everything about you,” Mac said, kissing her again.

Charlotte seemed like she was about to feint.

“Do you want to stop for tonight?” Mac asked.

“No!” Charlotte said, coming back to life. “I...I just wanted to tell you before we finally had sex.”

Mac nodded. “You're...you're definitely sure?”

Charlotte nodded vigorously.

Mac sat up, pulling her up and laying him against his chest. He then carefully inserted a finger down her panties, rubbing her nethers, before delicately sticking a finger in.

Charlotte started moaning cutely again, bracing herself against his legs as she spasmed in his arms.

Gently sticking the finger farther in, he slowly rubbed inside her, causing Charlotte to spasm even more, falling limply onto him.

“I think you're already ready...” Mac said.

Charlotte nodded in agreement as she panted.

Carefully laying her down, he pulled her panties the rest of the way off. Smoothly sliding himself up to her opening, he slowly started pushing in.

As he feared, Charlotte started wincing in pain. He grabbed her hands in his, leaning over and passionately kissing her while he kept pushing. Charlotte seemed to like this solution, letting go of his hands and pulling him towards her. Mac had to brace himself to not fall on top of her.

After a few moments of this, he eventually got himself all the way in. “You're so amazing Charlotte.”

Charlotte smiled, still in pain, but seemingly giddy with happiness. “I love you so much Mac!”

Mac chuckled, “I know, you told me. I love you too.”

After a couple minutes, Charlotte seemed to regain her breathing. She whispered, “Um...aren't you supposed to...move a bit...?”

Mac nodded, “I was just making sure you're okay.”

“I think I'm fine,” Charlotte replied, looking down at where they were connected.

With great difficulty, Mac started moving, slowly pistoning his hips back and forth. Eventually, he went faster and faster, Charlotte almost screaming in ecstasy.

Feeling himself about to come, he asked, “Charlotte, we didn't talk about children yet, but-”

Charlotte cut him off by nodding. “Elves have low fertility rates, so we shouldn't waste any chance.”

Not having time to really register the explanation, Mac just saw the nod and started finishing, pumping multiple times into her, before falling on his elbows and taking deep breaths.

Charlotte gave a wide smile, “I'm...I'm so glad I can be like everyone else now...”

Mac shook his head. “You were already like everyone else. I didn't love you less because we weren't having sex.”

Charlotte shook her head. “No, I understand. I just...needed some time to get the courage. I think I actually did a while ago, but I was so engrossed with the engine. Once we finished it, you...you're all I can think about!” she proclaimed, holding her face in embarrassment.

Mac rolled over to the side of her and wrapped an arm around her. “Your so cute when you're embarrassed.”

Charlotte seemed even more embarrassed by this, but decided her desire to kiss him again beat out her embarrassment, leaning over and smashing her lips against his once more. Pulling away, she put her hands to his chest. “Can you hold me?”

Mac smiled, “Of course,” and wrapped his arms around her.

Charlotte seemed contented, until after just a few moments, Mac felt her breath against his arms. His heart tightened at the cute, sleeping face of Charlotte, having to stop himself from turning his holding into hugging her tightly.

Calming himself down, he closed his eyes too, slowing his breathing until he also fell asleep.

 

In the morning, Charlotte woke up, her body incredibly sore. Especially her lower half. Opening her eyes, she saw the face of Mac right next to her. While this wasn't the first time this had happened, it was the first time she had woken up to both of them naked.

Blushing and smiling at how bold she had been the previous night, she internally celebrated. That was so amazing! He was so gentle, yet strong. I can't get enough of him! I...I'm so glad-...no, I should tell him that!

Gently shaking Mac, he woke up. “Ohhh, Charlotte, good-...” he started, before seeing them naked, and blushing. “How are you feeling?”

“I'm fine...maybe a bit sore. But, no, I just wanted to say, I'm so glad we're getting married! This is better than my dreams!”

Mac chuckled a bit, giving her a kiss. “I'm glad too. I get to marry the smartest person in all of Ositania. Nay, the smartest in the world!”

Charlotte blushed, “No, it's just because of your books...”

Mac shook his head. “I think the books just helped.”

A knock came at the door, and he heard the voice of Fiona. “Sire? Charlotte? Are you okay? We're about to leave.”

Charlotte squeaked, looking down at her still-naked self.

“What-”

“We'll be out in a couple minutes,” Mac replied back.

“Understood,” Fiona replied.

Mac and Charlotte looked at each other, before laughing a bit. “It's not like we really need to hide it...” Mac said.

Charlotte blushed. “That's true. I'll...I'll confidently tell them!”

Mac felt a bit embarrassed. “I think you can just tell them normally...”

 

After getting dressed (including Mac restraining himself from staring at his fiance too much), they went out to the carriage.

Marie and Fawna were already inside. Marie smirked at them, “You two decide to stay up all night?”

Charlotte stepped up, hand on her hips, her face blushed but with a smile. “Ye-yes! Mac and I had our first sex!”

Mac slapped his forehead. That's beyond just confidently telling them!

Fawna's face went into a surprised smile and ran over and hugged Charlotte. “Congrats Charlotte! Isn't it amazing?”

Marie sighed, “Everyone needs etiquette lessons.”

 

Despite Marie's comment, she listened intently as Charlotte and Fawna discussed their respective lovemaking sessions with Mac as the carriage started moving.

“We did it five times my first night,” Fawna explained.

Charlotte was incredulous. “Five!? But...how!? I was sore after once!”

Fawna blushed, looking between their respective hips. “I think just because I'm a bit...bigger. I didn't get as sore.”

Charlotte nodded, listening as intently as she would Mac's explanations on Otherworlder technology. Turning to Marie, she asked, “What about you Marie?”

Marie blushed. She was sitting sideways in her chair, supporting her head in her hand. “I...think a few. Honestly, it kind of blurred together in my head...” she said, blushing and glancing at Mac.

Mac blushed and looked away, remembering his passionate first night with Marie. “Look, I...enjoy being with all of you, but can we talk about something else for a bit...?”

Marie coughed, nodding. “I concur. We should discuss our meeting with the Arkantans.”

Mac sat down at the tea table across from her, while Charlotte and Fawna sat down on the bed facing them.

Marie continued, “Have you thought about what they might be possibly negotiating for?”

Mac nodded. “Besides trying to marry Saphoa to me, I'm guessing trading rights, or maritime border negotiations.”

Fawna and Marie both talked at the same time.

“Another marriage!?” Fawna asked.

“Maritime borders?” Marie asked, raising an eyebrow.

They looked at each other. Marie made a motion to Fawna as if to go ahead.

“You're getting another wife!? But you just got me!” Fawna said, scrunching her face, looking a bit sad.

Mac looked a bit forlornly. “I did say try. Besides, it's not like I particularly want to get another already. I don't have time enough as it is.”

After a moment of silence, Marie asked again. “What are maritime borders? I mean, I can guess, but...”

“If they're a kingdom, they should have borders, right? We might need to negotiate and demarcate our EEZ and theirs.”

“EEZ?” Marie asked, still confused.

“Sorry, I'm using Otherworlder terminology. EEZ is Exclusive Economic Zone. To be honest I didn't understand it completely, but basically it's like...how far your land borders extend into the sea. Inside your EEZ, you have fishing rights, mining rights, etc. Everything past that is fair game in international waters. In my world, we had issues with people claiming ridiculous zones, and sometimes stealing from others.”

Marie was thinking intensely. “Let's...only bring that up if we can use it to our advantage.”

“I'm guessing there's nothing like that here?”

Marie shook her head. “No. The only thing we sometimes have is fishing disputes, but that's all. You have underwater mining?” Marie asked him to reiterate.

Mac nodded, “Yeah. I'm wondering if this world has oil offshore. If not, well...we'll have to figure something else out.”

Marie kept thinking. “Let's discuss that later, and get back to the negotiations. I agree with your assessment, although I would add, they might be looking to specifically get items they cannot procure easily underwater.”

Mac nodded, “That makes sense. Unless they do have underwater mining, then they won't have a lot of metals.”

Marie nodded back. “So let's say they want to trade for some, say, scrap metal, that we conveniently have lying around the palace grounds...”

Mac blushed a bit, scratching his cheek, slightly embarrassed.

“...what would you ask for in return?”

Mac thought for a moment. “Fish.”

Fawna seemed confused. “Fish!? But don't we already have fishermen?”

“Yes, but I'm talking fish on a large scale. If we could inject a large amount of fish into our food supply, something we can easily keep and preserve, that would do wonders to help the food supply problem in some areas. Especially ones that will be building up capacity.”

Marie gave a proud smile. “Excellently said. My only other suggestion was going to be pearls.”

“Pearls?” Mac asked.

Marie nodded. “I was thinking more about your...gold-hoarding strategy. We could also obtain small but high-value items that are easily convertible, like gems or pearls. Obviously we can't smelt them into coins, but they'd still serve the rest of the purpose.”

Mac nodded. “You know...could we do the same with orichalum? I know it's very valuable.”

Marie frowned. “We could...try...but...”

“Try?”

Marie nodded, “The main source is deep dwarven mines, and they tend to hoard it themselves. It's rare to be able to purchase more than a couple bars at a time.”

“Didn't Daisy get a bunch during Lord Gascon's festival?”

Marie smirked. “Yes, because she's a dwarf engaged to the King. Even the greediest dwarf merchant could be convinced to sell and make a contact like that.”

They were silent for a moment, before Marie said, “Anyway, back to the negotiations-”

Charlotte (whom Fawna had spontaneously started to braid the hair of) chimed in. “I'd like to help.”

They both waited for her to say more.

Charlotte blushed, “I think if we show them the engine-boat, they'll be impressed.”

Mac raised an eyebrow, “But they live underwater, right? Wouldn't they actually not like it?”

Marie held out her hand, “No, our fishing boats go out all the time, and I don't remember ever reading a report about them attacking one. The fishing disputes I mentioned were always with different nations.”

“But what does it accomplish?” Mac said, turning back to Charlotte.

“They'll be impressed,” Charlotte asserted again, an air of confidence as she closed her hands into fists.

Marie nodded in agreement. “I think you're taking the engine too lightly Mac. They'll see us as technologically advanced, and more likely to give us favorable terms.”

Mac nodded slowly in understanding. I guess the steam engine is pretty advanced for any in this world who hasn't seen it.

 

Finishing the Journey

 

The day passed slowly and uneventfully, as the wagon trudged along slowly up and down the mountain road. They would sometimes go slower as they hit an incline, and then go a bit faster when hitting a decline.

Marie seemed a bit queasy, and Mac was currently holding her as they sat on the bed together.

“This is so embarrassing...” Marie said, bracing herself against Mac.

Mac shook his head. “Don't worry about it. These are normal side-effects, right?”

Marie nodded, “Tillie won't let me out of the palace once I tell her...”

 

After a while the road evened out a bit, and Marie lay on the bed to rest. Charlotte was back to reading, and Fawna was smashing her breasts into Mac's back.

“Fawna, aren't we together tonight?” Mac said, chuckling slightly. “Why are you up on me now?”

Fawna seemed confused. “Isn't this what the others do?” she asked.

“Well, yes, but not usually during the day like this. Unless we're on a date.”

“We're basically on a date, right?”

Mac chuckled again. “What happened to just wanting to be my maid?”

Fawna blushed a bit. “If I'm going to be a Queen I have to take it seriously, right?”

Mac shook his head, having had this conversation with several of his other partners. “Just be Fawna, you don't have to act like anyone else.”

Fawna shook her head, “I want to help out, too, though!”

I don't know what I could even have you do right now, though. “Just...keep doing a good job and focus on your lessons with Marie, and I'll think of something...eventually.”

Fawna seemed over the moon with this answer, hugging him tightly and rubbing her nose into his chest.

 

Eventually, they got out of the mountain pass. Mac watched in awe as the sea came into view, spanning out endlessly in front of him. To the left, he could see a sparse grassland between the sea and the mountains, the coast running along it, until he thought maybe he could see the curved end of Ositania in the distance. To the right, the coast ran the same, until he saw land in the distance. That's Provent, right? And maybe some other countries. I need to study the map again when we're back.

Below them, the road wound down the side of the mountain.

“It's been a while since I've seen this view,” he heard Marie say behind him. She had grabbed his shoulders (Charlotte and Fawna were napping on the bed together) and was leaning into him, looking over his shoulder.

“Have you visited Ludout?”

Marie shook her head. “No, but we passed it by when my former husband was inspecting troops a couple times. We use to have a string of garrisons along the coast, before the war. Now, we just have to hope no one invades by sea.”

Mac was a bit concerned. “Is that a possibility?”

Marie shrugged. “I hope not. We could work something out with the Arkantans.”

Mac nodded.

Marie kissed his cheek. “You want some tea? I remembered Tillie gave me some for pregnant women with queasy stomachs.”

“I'm not pregnant though,” Mac responded, raising his eyebrow.

Marie smirked. “It's not only for pregnant woman.”

 

A few hours traveling down the mountain, with Marie and Mac discussing some more talking points for their meeting over their tea, and the carriage slowly came to a stop.

“Why are we stopping, there's a couple hours of light left, right?” Mac asked.

Marie drank the rest of her tea cup. “We're at the inn. It's the only one between here and Ludout, so we don't have much choice.”

Mac opened the carriage door and looked out. In front of them was a small inn, seemingly leaning a bit away from the directions of the sea. Is that even safe!? Looking around, he saw they were at a three-way crossroads, as the road they were on intersected with another road that seemed to run parallel to the coast. The sea was fairly close now, maybe only a few minutes walk.

“Sire,” Captain La Hire came up and put his hand to his chest in salute. Fiona, Kelly, and Kylie were behind him. “They aren't ready for dinner yet.”

Mac shrugged, “That's alright, I'm not hungry yet anyways.” He looked over at the sea, “I kinda wanted to go over and check out the ocean.”

La Hire nodded. “I'll send a guard with you.”

Mac sighed I know he means well... “It's fine, there won't be any assassin's here, right?”

La Hire winced. “Sire...”

“Besides, you'll be able to see me from here. And Marie will be with me,” he added.

Marie smiled, “Ah, actually, I think I'm going to go lie down again.”

Mac nodded, receiving a kiss from her before she headed in.

“I wanna go!” he heard from behind, as Fawna grabbed his arm. Charlotte blushed a bit, also nodding.

“If two of your partners are joining, even more so...” La Hire said, looking uncomfortable.

Mac nodded. “Alright. Why don't you come with your partners, too?”

La Hire blushed slightly, before looking at them. Fiona and Kelly both nodded. Kylie also nodded.

The group walked down towards the sea, the rocky ground eventually turning into sand as they got closer to the water. Not a great beach, but a beach nonetheless.

The girls were all in awe, seemingly never having been this close to the ocean before. La Hire seemed unimpressed, instead looking at his partners. And Kylie.

Mac looked back over the ocean. I wonder if the Arkantan's are right there, just below the waves.

Fawna walked back, grabbed his arm and squeezing it to her chest. “I never thought I'd get to see something like this! It's so beautiful.”

Charlotte seemed to have gone into study-mode, carefully examining the waves as they came in and splashed against her feet.

Mac wrapped an arm around Fawna, staring out towards the sea again. I wonder if this world has sharks. Or whales. Actually, I wonder if it has fantasy sea creatures. As he watched the crest of the waves, he thought saw something shimmer. Hmmm...maybe they do have valuables underwater? Not that I wanna tear up the sea floor, but if the Arkantan's are already mining it...

His thoughts were interrupted as the glimmering got brighter. And larger.

What is-

“Sire, get back!” he heard La Hire shout, putting a gauntlet into his chest and starting to push him away. “Everyone back away from the water!”

Mac's eyes went wide, as he watched the glimmering object rise out of the water. His eyes focused, and he realized the object was looking at him. It had large eyes, and the mouth of a dragon, but ears that were webbed and flared out. The ears remind me a bit of Saphoa. It's body was long, with no appendages, but the glimmer was being given off by it's bright blue scales, shimmering even in the waning light of the early evening.

“It's a sea serpent!” Charlotte explained. She had the same look as Mac.

The others all crept farther back from the water.

Mac couldn't tell how large it was. It was out in the water quite a ways, but even from here he could tell it would tower over buildings. Maybe even taller than the wall around Pearie.

“Sire, please,” La Hire said, turning around and pulling out his sword to face the serpent.

“La Hire, I don't think-”

Mac was interrupted by a loud roar given off by the serpent. It echoed over the water, washing over them. Instead of being scared, Mac thought it seemed...casual. As if it were just greeting him.

Mac raised his hand at the creature, causing everyone (besides La Hire, who was still in front and facing the creature) to look at him shocked.

The serpent let out another, quieter, roar, before diving back into the water.

“Do you know that serpent?” Charlotte asked, curiously staring at him. “It seemed like it knew you.”

“You thought so, too?” Mac asked. “It seemed friendly to me.”

“Friendly!?” La Hire asked, looking at him incredulously. “Have you forgotten the Prism Beast!?”

Mac shook his head, “No, but this seemed different. Sea Serpents are natives of this world anyway, right?”

La Hire didn't seem convinced, but Fiona put a hand gently on his arm. “It didn't attack, and we're all okay.”

This seemed to calm La Hire down, and he sheathed his sword with a sigh. “Sorry, I was just-”

Kelly hugged La Hire, “We know, you're just doing your job honey.”

Honey!? Well, it's good to see he's so close with his partners.

Kylie was behind them, seeming to look nervously between them.

She's easy to read.

 

After their encounter with the serpent, they headed back to the inn. Marie was waiting for them at the entrance.

“Are you alright? I thought you were going to nap?” Mac asked.

Marie smiled, “I was, until some echoing roar woke me.”

They explained what had happened, and Marie looked at Mac suspiciously.

“What's that look for?” Mac asked, having seen it before on Marie.

“Sea serpents are intelligent creatures, and they can live quite a while, even longer than elves. I wonder...could it sense you were an Otherworlder, like what happened with Rhea?”

Mac nodded. “That could be.” I do seem to draw attention like that.

 

They went into the tavern and waited while the food preparations were finished. The inn was run by an old tanuki-human couple, who had been struggling to make enough food, so the maid staff that had come were helping finish.

“It's so nice to have you sire,” the lady said, giving a deep bow.

“We were real surprised when we heard you wanted to rent our inn. We don't get much business these days,” the husband added.

Mac smiled back, “Of course. It's always nice to see new parts of my Kingdom.”

The couple beamed at that response, hurriedly going back to the kitchen to get them another round of drinks.

Eventually, the food came out (several stews and warm bread, good for a chilly day by the sea) and the group devoured it quickly after the long trip.

 

Once they had finished, they went off to their rooms.

“Charlotte, do you think you could teach me about how your engine works? I'm very curious,” Marie asked as she and Charlotte started off towards their room.

Charlotte looked like she had just won the lottery. “Of course! Where do you want me to start? The heating? The pistons? The axle?”

Marie giggled, “Probably everything...”

Meanwhile, Fawna was hanging off of Mac. “Let's get in the bath together,” Fawna whispered in his ear.

Mac picked up the pace a bit as they headed to their room on the second story. The lean of the building was a bit more pronounced on the second floor, the water in tub noticeably tilted to one side. Uh...I hope we'll be alright.

They both got undressed, and slipped across from each other in the tub. They had to wrap their legs a bit so they could both fit comfortably inside.

After soaking for a minute, Fawna asked out of nowhere, “Is it true you don't stop having sex with everyone even when they're pregnant?”

Mac was a bit taken aback for a moment, but then nodded. “Yes. Wait...are you pregnant!?”

Fawna shook her head. “No. Or at least, I don't think so. I was a bit worried about getting pregnant if it meant we'd stop having sex, but if you will then I have nothing to worry about!”

Mac thought for a moment, “Do you just...really like sex?”

Fawna blushed a bit. “Of course I do! Don't you and all your wives?”

Mac blushed back, “I guess that's true...but you seem even more so.”

Fawna leaned over onto him and held him close, “Whenever we touch, or kiss, or you go inside me...I just feel so alive. Like...like...you and I can take on the world together!”

Mac smiled, holding her close, “I feel the same. With you and everyone else.”

“Do you like me as much as everyone else?” Fawna asked, looking at him seriously.

Mac blinked a couple times. Wh-what is with these hard questions!? “You shouldn't ask something like that...you know I care about all of you...”

Fawna nodded, seeming a bit embarrassed. “Sorry, I just...I feel like I'm so far behind the others, since we only met a couple months ago, and I didn't even think we'd marry until the last trip, and-”

Mac put a finger to her lips, then gave her a kiss. “Fawna, I told you already, don't compare yourself to the others.”

Fawna seemed disappointed. “You keep saying that, but I can't-”

Mac shook his head. “What do you think about Emma?”

Fawna seemed confused, but answered enthusiastically, “She's really great! I enjoyed getting to know her better on the last trip.”

Mac nodded. “She is. She also kept comparing herself to the others, too, thinking she wasn't important enough.”

Fawna nodded. “But she's really important.”

“Exactly. And so are you.”

Fawna blushed, digging her face into his chest and tickling his chin with her antlers. “You're too nice to me.”

Mac blushed, “I'm just being honest. You'll find something. And even if you don't, having you wake me up in the morning to get me dressed and drag me to breakfast is enough.”

Fawna blushed deeper, before leaning in for a kiss. She then quickly rubbed her nether's against Mac to get him hard.

“You do really love sex,” Mac whispered as she slipped his shaft inside her.

Fawna nodded and started splashing up and down, causing some of the water to fly out of the tub.

Mac grabbed her breasts, licking them delicately as they bobbed up and down in front of him.

Fawna blushed and smiled. “Can...can you grab my tail too? Gently...”

Mac did as asked, and he felt Fawna tighten up around him. “This feels so good...”

Mac was also feeling good, and wrapped his arms around her, as he thusted up into her, releasing multiple times.

Fawna caught her breath, gently tracing his chest. “I hope you know that's not enough...”

Mac chuckled, “I didn't expect anything less.”

 

After making love once more in the tub and on the bed, Mac held Fawna tightly as she slept in his arms. Hopefully Fawna doesn't worry about it too much. Just being here with me is enough, honestly...not everyone needs to be a super capable woman.

 

 

The Negotiations Begin

 

The next day, they headed out early, getting to Ludout around midday.

Ludout itself was just a small shanty town, consisting of maybe a dozen cottages, and no two-story buildings. There were almost as many docks jutting out into the ocean, and several boats alongside them.

“I never thought to ask, but...we don't have a navy, right?” Mac asked.

Marie shook her head. “Usually only island nations have one for protection. It's been brought up before, but no sovereign has ever pursued it. I don't know where we'd get the money for ships...” Marie trailed off.

Mac nodded, “I'll put it at the bottom of my list.”

Marie nodded back, “We have other things to think about right now. Plus, we're almost at the tavern.”

Unlike the tight atmosphere most of them had, Charlotte was increasingly excited. “I can't wait to get to work on the boat!”

 

A few moments later, and they stopped outside a nondescript building. Mac was confused for a moment, before seeing the “Inn” sign out front, painted in faded white on a small board, hung slightly askew.

Sensing Mac's thoughts, Marie explained, “This is the only inn in Ludout. The negotiations will be held in the main area. We have two of the rooms rented, and the Arktantan's have the other two.”

“Where is everyone going to stay? Camp outside town?”

Marie nodded.

Well, it is what it is. We needed to accommodate the Arktantan's request.

They got down from the carriage, and went inside the inn.

The interior was a bit dark, and only had three occupants in the small area up front. At one of the three tables currently sat Princess Saphoa, Mac recognizing her from Felicia's wedding. She had a large smile on her face as Mac entered.

Next to her sat who he assumed was her mother, Queen Haliya. She looked similar to Saphoa, just a bit taller and more slender.

The third occupant was the innkeeper, an old, toothy man who was cleaning a glass behind the bar.

“Hello there. Are you ones who reserved my inn?”

Marie nodded. “Yes. This is King Mac.”

The old man was a bit surprised, before quickly running over. “My sire, let me get you a drink.”

 

Mac smiled, “Maybe later. Just some water for now is fine.”

The man quickly bowed and went to fetch a pitcher.

Queen Haliya stood up as they approached. “Good to finally meet you, King Mac. Thank you again for inviting us to your wedding. I was unable to attend, but my Saphoa said it was a wonderful affair.”

Saphoa smiled, and gave a small bow. “Hello again King Mac. Yes, it was a wonderful event. As I said, The King has many beautiful wives, including beast-humans.”

There it is again. “Do you have issues with people prejudiced against beast-humans?”

Queen Haliya nodded. “Yes, so we try to avoid them.”

Mac blinked. Simple enough.

Saphoa expanded on the topic, “We also avoid countries with slavers. Our woman are often targeted by them. So, we keep under the sea most of the time.”

Marie, who had been silently watching, chimed in, “Ositania outlawed slavery several generations ago, and we don't allow slavers on our territory.”

Queen Haliya smiled at her. “May I ask who you are?”

“Marie of House Lorraine, Magistrate of Ositania. And one of Mac's fiances.”

Queen Haliya did a small head nod towards her, then looked at Fawna.

Fawna let out a small 'yip' of surprise, then stammered out, “F-Fawna. I'm also one of Mac's fiances.”

Queen Haliya laughed. “Haha. The rumors of you collecting all the beautiful woman of Ositania are true.”

Mac decided to play along, giving a smile. “Not just beautiful, though. They have to be smart as well.”

Fawna looked at Mac worried, although he didn't notice.

Queen Haliya smiled further. “That is good.” She looked over at Saphoa, and they both sat down.

Mac took this is the signal they would begin, so the three on their side sat down as well.

The innkeeper brought out a pitcher of water at that point for the table, then left again. There was no one else in the tavern room now (Charlotte had never come in, and La Hire and some of the guards were guarding the entrance).

Queen Haliya started, “I feel confident now in offering my daughter's hand in marriage.”

Mac held back a sigh. Well, we guessed this might be part of it. I didn't expect that to be their starting position though... “Saphoa here is quite beautiful, but I already have many wives and fiances. Why are you offering her up?”

Queen Haliya corrected him. “She is beautiful and smart. I have several daughters, and I specifically chose her because she is the smartest.”

Saphoa may have blushed a bit, but it was hard to tell against her blue skin.

Mac nodded. “Why offer her then? Shouldn't she be running your country next?”

Queen Haliya seemed a bit uncomfortable at that question. After a moment, she replied, “You are correct. I would like her to be our next Queen. But I must make these negotiations successful.”

Alright then, she's putting us in a really good negotiating position. I guess they must not have to do much diplomacy. He was worried he might have to let Marie take over at points, but so far this seemed like it might be an easy talk. “I understand. What would you ask of us, then?”

“Let me start with explaining our problem. Arkanta is running out of room for it's people.”

Mac took a moment to comprehend the statement. Out of room? They have the whole sea! How vast is their country!? “I'm...surprised. Is the sea floor covered with your people?”

Queen Haliya shook her head. “You must not know, so I will explain. There is only a certain depth we can build our houses at. Too close to shore, and they will get torn up by surface waves in choppy waters. We'd also have to worry about boats. But too deep, and we cannot comfortably hunt and live, we are weighed down too much. So, we must build our cities in narrow strands a bit off the coast.”

Mac nodded slowly as he envisioned this. That makes way more sense now. Too shallow and you have surface issues, but too deep and the water pressure is an issue. “So, you've run out of sea floor to build on?”

Queen Haliya nodded. “Yes. And so, we would like you to allow our people to settle in your country. We can survive on land if need be, and some of us even wish start a new life under the sun instead of in the water.”

So, allowing immigrants? If it's too many it could be an issue, but right now with our population loss from the war, that could be a boon. The only problem would be feeding them. “I'd be willing to consider it, but frankly, food would be an issue. They would need to be self-sufficient. Can your people farm?” He looked over at Marie, who gave a small nod and a smile.

“No, but they could learn. However, most of our people would be able to fish, if that helps as well.”

Mac nodded, “It would. I actually hoped to negotiate for more fish trading with your country.”

Haliya brightened up at this. “We would be more than happy. I also wished to establish more formal trade with Ositania.”

The conversation hit a lull as both Mac and Haliya were thinking.

Marie took this time to jump in, “If these people immigrate to Ositania, we would expect their loyalty. They would need to pay taxes, and possibly be conscripted in times of war.”

Haliya didn't know what to say to that, biting her lip as she thought.

However, Saphoa jumped in, a bit heated, “Are you saying we are not loyal!? Arkantan's wouldn't betray their homeland.”

Marie shook her head, “That's what I'm saying. Will they be loyal to us, or Arkanta?”

Saphoa didn't have a good response.

Haliya jumped in, “I would hope you would allow them to return, if they so choose. Even though we are short on space, I don't want to consign my people to a life of misery.”

We could hardly stop them just jumping back in the water. Actually... “What are Arkanta's borders? Do you claim the whole sea?”

Queen Haliya laughed, “Haha, you cannot claim the sea. It is an entity unto itself. Arkanta is wherever Arkantan's live.”

“Unless they're living in Ositania,” Marie added.

This seemed to upset Saphoa again, and Haliya had to grab her arm.

“My daughter, it is as they say. If they were to move to our country, we would expect the same.”

The five of them sat in silence for a bit. The innkeeper seemed to take the silence as an opportunity to come in with some dried fish snacks, setting it up on the table.

Fawna quickly grabbed a bite, and Mac also took one to nibble on.

Haliya and Saphoa seemed confused.

“Why is it like this? Is this normal?”

Mac nodded, “This is one way we preserve fish. It keeps for a while when you salt and dry it like this.”

Haliya nodded slowly. “I believe I have heard of this before, but I do not know how. There are many things they can teach us,” she said, looking at Saphoa.

 

As they were snacking, Mac decided to ask, “Saphoa, what are your thoughts on marrying me?”

Saphoa blushed slightly again (Mac was able to tell now) and responded, “I would not mind it. The surface is an interesting place.”

“Would you rather stay in Arkanta, though?”

Saphoa looked away, not answering for a moment. “I will do what is best for my people.”

Well, it turned out okay with Elly and Charlotte, but-

His thoughts were cut off as the door swung open. Everyone stood up quickly, only to see Charlotte barreling in.

“Mac! Everyone! I got the boat working!”

Mac stood up and gave her a hug, “Nice job.”

“Do you wanna test it?”

“Yeah, why-” he then remembered their plan with the boat. “Queen Haliya, Saphoa, would you like to see my fiance's invention?”

Saphoa seemed confused, while Haliya laughed, “Haha, we know about boats.”

“Yes, but not this type of boat.”

This seemed to pique her interest, so they headed out of the inn towards the docks.

 

At one of the docks, a small rowboat was being held by several guards. A steam engine was in the back, and it was connected to a simple propeller behind it. Not really a 'steamboat', but as far as a simple contraption goes, it makes sense.

One of the guards was placing more wood into the engine, before closing it shut and wiping off his forehead. “I did as you asked Lady Charlotte.”

Charlotte nodded, before jumping in the boat. “Come on, come on!” she said.

Marie declined, but Fawna, Haliya, and Saphoa all jumped in. Queen Haliya was immediately interested in the engine. “What is this? Why are you heating up water? Is it going to make us tea?”

“You have tea in Arkanta?” Mac asked.

Haliya laughed, “Haha, yes. Our houses aren't also filled with water, we have parts that are dry.”

Now Mac was even more curious about Arkanta. However, he didn't get far in his thoughts, as he felt the boat start to push forward.

Saphoa and Haliya's eyes went wide. While they were obviously use to boats, they were startled by the way this one moved.

Fawna and Charlotte were both excited, going to the front as the boat started to glide along.

“Is this magic?” Saphoa asked.

Charlotte turned around. “No, it's a steam engine. The water is heated to create steam, and...” she continued explaining. Mac was surprised that they both seemed to be following for the most part. Or at least made it seem like they were.

“This is amazing! Ositania is so advanced!” Haliya said, now seeming to enjoy the ride.

“With Charlotte, we will be,” Mac said confidently, glad Charlotte's plan was working to almost perfection. Until he asked, “How do we turn around?”

Charlotte blinked a few times. “I don't know how to turn a boat.”

Saphoa and Haliya both laughed. “Haha, you are smart, but you need to learn about boating,” Saphoa explained. She took one of the oars out of it's holder, and put it in the water. The boat slowly started to circle until it was pointed back towards the dock.

Charlotte nodded, “I see, we need a way to control the direction too. I wonder if we could move the propeller to change it?”

“I think you can,” Mac confirmed. “It would make changing it much quicker, too.”

Charlotte smiled and nodded again.

As the boat headed back, Haliya asked, “How do you stop it?”

Charlotte grabbed a bucket and doused the flames, however, they had too much momentum, and kept going.

“I think we're going to run aground...” Saphoa said, a bit disappointed.

Saphoa and and Haliya jumped into the water as the boat was about to hit the beach next to the dock. Mac quickly grabbed Charlotte and Fawna as the boat bounced up onto the beach.

“Sire! Are you okay?” La Hire shouted, trouncing through the sand towards them.

“We're fine. What about the boat?” He looked over, and the engine seemed fine. The propeller, however...

Charlotte jumped over the side, starting to cry. “No, it got all bent! It won't work like this...” It had gotten beaten up when the boat had run into the sand.

“You should probably only use that on boats with anchors,” Haliya said, as she and Sapphoa walked out of the water. Shaking her hair, she then twisted it to get the water out.

“Sorry about that, I hope you're alright...”

“Haha, we are fine. It is still a marvelous creation. I wonder if we might be able to procure some for Arkanta...”

“Well, there's only two right now. We may sell them in the future.”

Queen Haliya nodded, before turning and whispering to Saphoa for a few moments.

Marie took the time to whisper to Mac as well, “Let's end negotiations for the day. I think we threw a wrench in their plans, and they need time to think. We might need to promise them an engine, but we could probably get some serious concessions.”

“Should we really give them an engine? It's valuable technology.”

“If it were a different country, I'd agree with the sentiment. However, most countries don't know or remember the Arkantans even exist. May as well get something for it. And I doubt we will be able to keep it from other countries forever.”

Mac nodded. That wasn't necessarily my plan anyway. Turning to the Arkantans, “Would you like to end negotiations for the day and reconvene in the morning? I believe my maids are making dinner for us right now.”

Saphoa and Haliya seemed slightly surprised, but then nodded. “Yes, I think that is a good idea.”

 

Night in Ludout

 

Inside the inn, two of the tables had been pushed together, so that the royals could all sit together. The maids had made several seafood dishes (since there was abundant supply) and they quickly started scarfing down food right away.

Mac was particularly fond of the grilled scallops, something he hadn't had in this world. “I've only had these once before.”

Marie nodded. “From your world? Your old world?”

Saphoa and Queen Haliya looked inquisitively. Are you bringing that up on purpose? We're not negotiating right now... “Yes. They were quite expensive though. I don't think they tasted as good as this, either.”

Fiona, who was sitting at the remaining table in the corner of the room with with Kelly, Kylie, and La Hire, gave him a small nod in appreciation.

“That is right. You talk like one of us, so I didn't even think about the fact you are not from this world. Did you have sea serpent-humans there?”

Mac shook his head. “No. We had stories of a similar creature, but instead of having legs and a tail, it just had one big tail, so it couldn't come onto land.”

Queen Haliya seemed thoughtful. “Some of my people probably never want to leave the water, but being able to walk on your own two feet has its advantages.”

 

The continued with more small talk, them curiously asking questions about Mac's old world, and him answering to the best of his ability.

After a while, they had all eaten their fill.

“We will retire for the night, but I hope we can continue discussions in the morning,” Queen Haliya said, standing up.

Mac nodded, “Of course.”

“Mother, I am going to get some fresh air before bed,” Saphoa said, heading towards the door.

Queen Haliya smiled and nodded, before heading for her room.

Mac said goodnight to Charlotte and Fawna, who were sharing one of the rooms, and then turned to Marie, who was already leaning into him. “Mac...”

Mac smiled, “I know, I want you too...”

Marie blushed, “No. I mean, yes, but not right now. Go use this opportunity to talk with Saphoa.”

“Are you sure? She said she wanted some air.”

Marie shook her head. “Maybe she does, but she was giving you an opportunity to talk without her mother hearing. You like to get to know potential wives first, right?”

Mac stopped himself from sighing. “Yes, yes...”

Marie kissed him. “I'll still be here when you're done,” then headed for their room.

Mac waited a moment, finishing the rest of his drink, then headed outside.

It wasn't hard to find Saphoa in the small town. She was standing on one of the docks, and even in the moonlight Mac could see her tail shimmering.
As he approached, Saphoa asked, “Do you like looking at the stars?”

Mac stopped next to her. “Sometimes. The moon I'm still getting used too, it's so much bigger than the one from my world.”

Saphoa nodded. “It's hard to see them underwater, so I sometimes come to the surface to look at them. I wonder what it would be like to swim amongst them.”

Well, there's no air in space, so you wouldn't be able to breathe...but I won't say that. “Do you want to leave Arkanta?”

Saphoa took a while to respond as she continued looking at the stars. Eventually, she responded, “Yes and no. I would like to see more of the world than just what is under the waves. It's not that I don't want to ever return, but I feel like my knowledge is too limited. If I want to run the country, I need to have more information and experience.”

Mac nodded. “I thought you would be giving up running it if you married me?”

Saphoa looked down at him and smiled. “I am not so sure you are into a blue woman.”

Mac thought of the brilliantly purple Rhea and smirked, “That's definitely not an issue.”

Saphoa was a bit taken aback by the response, blushing and looking away. After a few moments, she continued, “You asked me earlier what I thought of marrying you. Now I ask, what do you think of marrying me?”

Mac looked down, thinking. Ignoring the issue of having too many wives, I wouldn't mind it. Maybe I'm thinking too selfishly, but we can use these negotiations to our advantage. It would be nice if we could make Saphoa happy, too, of course. “You seem intelligent, and you have a good personality, so you would fit in with the others. I also like your tail.”

Saphoa blushed a bit. “Did you talk with others of my race? How did you know to compliment that?”

Mac raised an eyebrow. “I didn't...I was just being serious. It's very pretty.”

Saphoa waved it back and forth slightly.

Mac forced himself not to stare at it too long. Coughing slightly, he continued, “However, I'm worried you would be disappointed. Political marriages are a fact of life, but I don't want an unhappy wife.”

Saphoa looked down again. “I...see. We can discuss more tomorrow, then.” She then walked over, and gently kissed his cheek. “Good night.”

Mac blinked a few times, having not expected that. Is that just normal for Arkantans!? Or is she saying she actually wants too?

 

After she left, Mac stood there, thinking a while longer. Eventually, he came up with an idea. It was a bit of a stretch to actually succeed, but he thought it was worth a shot. Would Queen Haliya be up for it, though? I should run it by Marie, she should have an idea. He went to the inn, and there was no activity inside, so he went into his and Marie's room. Marie was already asleep, having passed out in her traveling clothes on top of the bed.

She probably just meant to take a nap until I got here. Oh well...

Mac snuggled up to her gently, and drifted off to sleep.

 

Negotiations Continue

 

“Why didn't you wake me up!?” Marie asked, blushing and upset.

She had just woken Mac up herself, and they were washing up.

“Sorry, you were sleeping, and I know you've been feeling unwell.”

Marie blushed further. “It was my night to have you! You can't have gotten tired of me already...”

“You know that's not it,” Mac replied, giving her a kiss to reinforce this. “We can some other night.”

Marie cleared her throat. “Very well. I am holding you to that.”

 

They went into the main room, where the Arkantans were already waiting.

“Good morning,” Queen Haliya said, standing up as they came over.

Saphoa smiled at Mac.

Mac and Marie went over, and the four of them sat down again.

Queen Haliya jumped right into it. “Have you made a decision on accepting my offer of a marriage with Saphoa? Even if conditional, I believe we need to make a decision on that before we can continue negotiations.”

Mac nodded, “I have, but I believe I also have a way to simplify the negotiations.”

Marie raised an eyebrow as he turned towards her.

“I meant to ask you earlier, but does this world have anything like personal unions?”

Marie's eyebrow rose further. “Unions? Like marriages? Or of different countries? I can maybe guess what it is, but we don't have anything like that,” she shook her head.

Mac sighed, “Okay. I'll try and explain, then. Basically, a personal union is when you have two separate countries, but they have the same ruler, or in this case rulers, running them.”

Queen Haliya frowned, “Are you proposing I give my country to you?”

Mac quickly shook his head. “No, not exactly. What I am proposing is this: Saphoa and I would marry. As part of the arrangement, once you are ready to step down, you would hand the country over to Saphoa and me.”

Queen Haliya seemed to be struggling with the concept. “So once I abdicate, you would be King of both Ositania and Arkanta?”

“And Saphoa would be both a Queen of Ositania and Arkanta,” Mac added.

Queen Haliya nodded. “I follow along so far. But how does this benefit Arkanta, other than getting to have Saphoa as Queen?”

“With our countries in a union, any decisions made would be with the goal of benefiting both.”

Queen Haliya seemed suspicious again. “How do I know you won't just use Arkanta to benefit only Ositania?”

Mac understood her concern. “I wouldn't do that, although I understand if you don't just take my word for it. That is why Saphoa is there. Do you think she would let us take advantage of Arkanta?”

Queen Haliya quipped back, “But how do I know you won't just overrule Saphoa?”

Before Mac could respond, Marie jumped in. “Mac runs Ositania a bit differently than a country ruler normally does.” She leaned forward, crossing her arms. “Mac makes decisions, but he defers and delegates to others. Me, his wives, his military leaders...Saphoa would be running Arkanta, but with the benefit any resources Ositania has to offer. I imagine metal is in short supply in Arkanta?”

Queen Haliya did a slight grimace. “It is as you say. We struggle to get any that doesn't rust, we have only a small amount of heaters or other metal objects. Long lasting, rust-resistant metal is worth it's weight in pearls. Maybe twice so.”

Mac chimed in, “One of my fiance's is an expert dwarfsmith. I'm sure we could get you at least a decent supply of rust-resistant metal as part of the agreement. And of course more would come in over time. The pipes in the engine you saw were made of rust-resistant metal.”

Saphoa, who was now blushing heavily, looked at Queen Haliya. “Mother...”

Queen Haliya smiled at her. “Saphoa...” she turned to Mac again. “What would happen in the future? Is Arkanta taken over by your children with Saphoa?”

“Potentially, yes. I'm not asking you to commit to anything permanently now, it would more so depend on future generations. If both Ositanians and Arkantans want it to continue, eventually they would do away with the last few distinctions and merge the countries together fully. If they decide not too, they could unwind the countries and go their separate ways.”

Queen Haliya nodded. She leaned back into her chair, and sighed. “I understand the benefits of this, but it is no small thing to agree too.”

Mac nodded. “I understand.”

Saphoa looked back and forth, seemingly keen on the idea. “Mother, I think this is for the best.”

Queen Haliya smiled. “I am still a bit worried about the specifics.”

Saphoa looked to Mac. “What if we started off with just an alliance, and we can move further in the future?”

Queen Haliya nodded. “I agree with my daughter. Would you agree to an alliance and trade arrangement? I would like to rule a few more years, but if I think you have benefited Arktana duly, we can more forward with this 'union'.”

Marie smiled, “That should be fine. I think slowly integrating together would be for the best anyway. That said, I think Saphoa should come with us now, to help start the process.”

Saphoa smiled, “I would like that as well.”

Mac nodded and smiled back, and looked to Queen Haliya, “So, are we in agreement?”

Queen Haliya nodded. “Yes, I agree to your terms. Truthfully, I wished to both marry Saphoa to you to gain an alliance with Ositania, but also wanted her to run Arkanta in the future, so I am happy. I believe Arkanta will be in good hands even after I step down.”

Saphoa hugged her mother, who hugged her back.

As Mac and Marie watched the wholesome moment between mother and daughter, Fawna and Charlotte burst into the room.

“So-sorry! I didn't realize you were already negotiating again again,” Fawna said, and Charlotte nodded in agreement.

Mac chuckled, “Don't worry, we just finished.”

They explained the results (and trying his best to summarize the complicated explanation of a personal union) and they were both in awe.

“That's amazing!” Charlotte said. “And an interesting concept.”

Fawna ran over and hugged Saphoa. “I'm sure everyone will love you.”

Saphoa laughed and hugged her back, “Haha, I hope so. In truth I am worried about fitting in with the established family...”

Fawna shook her head, “I was too! But everything turned out fine.”

 

The Arkantan's went back to their rooms to prepare, so Marie took Mac aside.

“Did you seduce Saphoa? Or the Queen? How did you convince them to just hand their country over?”

Mac blushed, “It's not set in stone yet. And you know I wouldn't do something like that...”

“I wouldn't be upset if you seduced a woman to gain a country,” Marie responded, shaking her head. “In any case, you know as good as I that she would be insane not to agree with everything eventually. Unless we fumble incredibly with the immigrants or the metal they need, or somehow manage to upset Saphoa, the union will go through once she steps down.”

Mac nodded, “I think so too, but we need to be vigilant.”

Marie seemed to be thinking. “I wonder if we could use this in the future...”

Mac shook his head, “You can only form one if the royalty of both countries agree. And it will only work out if the people of both countries agree.”

Marie smiled. “Well said,” she then sighed, “I can't say I'm looking forward to helping run a completely second country, though.”

Mac chuckled, “Haha, it hopefully shouldn't add too much to your plate. Saphoa should be taking care of most of it.”

“Did you call for me?” they heard from behind them. Saphoa was walking up, “Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude, but I needed to ask something.”

Marie smiled and shook her head, “We were just discussing the future.”

Saphoa smiled back. Turning to Mac, she said, “I am going to briefly return to Arkanta now to pick up some of my belongings before I leave with your party. Would you like to join me?”

Mac was taken aback. “I can? I mean, I can swim, but I can't breathe underwater.”

Saphoa smiled, “That is fine, I cannot either, we can only hold our breath for a long period of time. If you can hold your breath for twenty seconds, I can get you there.”

Mac turned to Marie, who smiled at him. “Go ahead. I'll spend the time your gone talking with Queen Haliya on some specifics.”

 

Saphoa took Mac down to the docks, where a boat with several Arkantan's had docked. “I didn't know Arkantan's had boats, too.”

Saphoa giggled, “Why would we not?”

“Since you can swim without air for a while, right?”

Saphoa thought for a moment. “True, but you used a carriage to get here even if you could have walked, right? It is the same concept.”

Mac blushed a bit from embarrassment. “Sorry, I'll just keep my mouth shut.”

Saphoa shook her head, “We are just learning about each other's cultures, it is not something to be embarrassed by.”

The Arkantans manning the boat all bowed as they walked up onto the deck. A large man, shirtless and blue, with scaly skin scarred in several places, came forward. “Princess Saphoa, are we returning now?”

Saphoa nodded. “Yes, my future husband and I are going to grab some items from the palace, then come back so I can travel with him.”

The man looked over Mac, “Future husband?”

“Yes, so protect him with your life.”

The other sailors did a salute, while the large man reluctantly saluted as well, before going to the ship's helm. The others all went to the sides, sitting down on benches and grabbing oars that jutted out into the water.

Saphoa saw Mac looking at them, “It might not go as fast as your elf-wife's boat, but we do have an anchor,” she explained, giggling at the last part.

Mac chuckled, “That's fine. I think this is probably safer until she works out all the kinks, anyways.”

 

They headed off from the dock, slightly rocking up and down on the waves as they cut through them, going perpendicular from the shore.

After a while, Mac asked “How far away is your palace?” He felt okay on ships, but he didn't particularly like being too close to the railing, and was leaning/clinging to one of the masts in the middle of the ship.

“About twenty minutes or so at this speed.”

“Really? That's it? I didn't...nevermind, you did say there was only a certain range.”

Saphoa nodded. The palace is built on the widest band of land our ancestors could find.”

Suddenly, there was a call from the sailor in the crow's nest. “There's something to the starboard bow. Maybe two hundred meters.”

The muscled helmsman shouted back. “Something!? What kind of call is that?”

“I don't know what it is, sir. It's getting...” he trailed off.

Mac looked over at where everyone else was. After a moment, he recognized the scales, “Oh, it's that sea serpent! Or at least, it looks like the same one.”

Saphoa's eyes widened in surprise as she looked back at him. “You've seen one already!? And you're sure it's the same?”

Mac nodded. “Yes, on the way to Ludout, we saw one off in the distance at sea. It roared at us twice, too.”

“It roared at you?” she repeated.

“Princess, what should we do?” the helmsman asked.

“Just...just leave it be...”

Mac was confused. “Aren't you sea serpent-humans? Why are you worried about it?”

Saphoa shook her head, “It is true, that may be one of our ancient ancestors, but it's not like they come over for tea and visit. The last time one showed itself was on my mother's coronation day.”

The sea serpent was swimming at the same rate as them, still a hundred meters or so away. It was easily multiple times longer than the boat.

“It's so beautiful...” Saphoa said as she watched in awe, leaning against the railing.

Suddenly, the sea serpent roared. It felt the same as last time, as if just exchanging a friendly greeting.

Mac did like last time, waving at it.

The sea serpent dove into the water, causing a small wave to hit them.

“Was it acknowledging us? I don't understand...”

Mac shrugged. “We theorized it might be able to sense I'm an Otherworlder. That's just a guess though.”

Saphoa nodded. “That could be...”

 

Everyone spent the rest of the short trip in silence, a bit unnerved by the sea serpent sighting and roaring.

Luckily, they soon came upon a small dock, floating in the ocean. There were several other similar ships roped to it.

“Is this to help keep track of your boats?” Mac asked.

Saphoa nodded. “Yes. It also shows where to drops our anchors, so we don't accidentally hit our own houses.”

That's a weird problem to have, but makes sense.

Saphoa came up and wrapped an arm around Mac, getting a few smirks from the sailors. “Are you ready, my future husband?”

Mac blushed a bit, With those muscles, she feels like a taller Daisy. “What are we-”

He barely had time to take a deep breath as Saphoa plunged into the ocean, arm still strongly wrapped around him. Mac was left breathless at the sight below him. A large palace sprawled just below in the water. Instead of stone, it seemed to be made of some sort of white building material.

Mac didn't have a lot of time to take the sight in, as they were swimming quickly down, following the anchor until the reached the sea floor. Two Arkantans were securing the anchor to a solid stone in the middle of the clearing it was in. Saphoa clenched her arm and slightly changed directions towards a small opening in the side of the clearing. Heading through it led to a flight of stairs, which they climbed up.

Suddenly, Mac's head was free of the water, gasping for air in a lit room. It looked somewhat like an entryway.

Saphoa let go of him, wringing out her hair, before grabbing a towel from a cupboard at the side of the room and tossing it at him. “Usually we don't bother with towels, as we wear water-resistant clothes, but we have them for the rare occasion of a non-sea serpent-humans visiting.”

Mac caught the towel as she was explaining, rubbing his face and hair. His tracksuit and undergarment were also soaked, but he wasn't going to worry about it for now.

Several sea-serpent human maids came out. They weren't the same as the maid outfits in Ositania, but he could still recognize them as such. One of them stepped forward, “Princess Saphoa, I am glad you returned safely. Who is this?”

“This man is King Mac of Ositania, he is to be my husband. I am going to live with him in his country, but came to collect my things.”

The maid looked between her and Mac, then dove into a hug with Saphoa. “Saphy, I'm so happy for you!”

Saphoa seemed a bit embarrassed. “Thank you, Mazzy, but we mustn't keep him waiting.”

Mac shook his hands. “It okay, as long as we get back by sundown the others shouldn't be too worried.”

Mazzy nodded at him with a smile, before turning back to Saphoa “I will help you pack.”

As they started off down the hallway, Mac asked, “Do you want my help?”

Saphoa turned around, “That's okay, please just looked around if you'd like.”

Mac awkwardly stood there as the other two maids stayed. They waited a minute in silence. I would rather have just helped...maybe she wanted to talk with that Mazzy, she seems close to her. After thinking a moment, he asked, “Is there anywhere I could get a nice view?”

The maids looked at each other, then nodded, before motioning him to follow. They wound around a few corridors until hitting a set of stairs. Climbing up, a couple flights, they stopped in front of a door. Opening it, they showed him inside to what looked to be a reception room, with a couple paintings and a tea table set up.

However, there was one glaring difference from a normal, abovewater one – the entire back wall was made of glass. Looking through it, he could see the seabed sprawling below them, with colorful coral shining in the midday light that streamed through the water. The seabed seemed to be declining gradually, as if they were on top of a hill, until it disappeared from sight in the distance.

“Thanks, this is a nice view,” Mac thanked the maids.

“Would sire enjoy a cup of tea to go along with it?” one of them asked.

“Ah, sure, thank you,” he replied, sitting down at the table.

Mac looked around, and the entire room seemed to be made of the same material as he had seen from the outside. It looked kind of like concrete, and was as solid as it, but it seemed more porous this close up.

“Can I ask something?” he asked the maids as he sipped his tea..

The maids looked at each other, before looking back at Mac. “About the princess?”

Mac shook his head. “No, about the building. What is it made out of?”

“It is Arkantan stone. I don't know how it's made, but our craftsman have perfected it over centuries. It is lightweight, but also doesn't erode quickly. It does break down in choppy waters, though.”

Mac nodded, “I see.” That could be useful. Not that we have a large need for water-resistant buildings. I wonder if its mass producible enough to make roads?

Seeing Mac was thinking, the maids asked, “Would you like us to fetch a craftsmen, sire?”

“No, no, that's okay...” he responded quickly, taking another sip of tea.

 

He sat in silence for a while, watching the occasional fish swim by. This is kinda amazing, just sitting thirty meters underwater drinking some tea. I guess not as weird as some things that have happened recently, but still...

After finishing his cup of tea, he heard a commotion outside the door. “Princess, you must let me...”

“Mazzy, we cannot...”

The door burst open, with the maid from earlier, Mazzy, stomping, before kneeling in front of Mac. “Sire, you must let me accompany Princess Saphoa. She cannot even get dressed without my help, let alone-”

Saphoa, who had followed in after, pulled her up. “Mazzy, you can't just invite yourself. Sire already has several maids, we cannot impose another.”

Mac was a bit confused. “Um, that's actually fine. We're short on maids, so if you're bringing your own, that'd be great.”

Mazzy smiled, and Saphoa blushed a bit. “Are you sure? It would not be an issue?”

Mac shook his head. “Definitely not. Tillie, our head maid, will be ecstatic, especially getting one that doesn't need trained. Plus, I'm sure you'd feel more comfortable having someone else you know around.”

Saphoa blushed a bit deeper, before leaning over and hugging Mac. “Thank you, my future husband.”

“You can just call me Mac,” he replied, blushing slightly and scratching his cheek.

“Please just call me Saphoa then, Mac,” she replied back with a smile.

The other maids looked away, while Mazzy seemed to get excited at the tender moment. She leaned over and whispered, but not quiet low enough that Mac couldn't hear, “Did you two already do the deed?”

Saphoa lightly slapped her shoulder, looking away.

I'll just pretend I didn't hear that.

 

After waiting a bit longer for Mazzy to pack herself, they grabbed their two trunks. They looked a bit odd, seemingly made of some tightly woven fiber. “Are these waterproof?”

Saphoa nodded. Mazzy grabbed both of their trunks, while Saphoa wrapped her arm around him. “Are you ready, my-...Mac.”

Mac nodded, “Whenever you are, Saphoa.”

Saphoa blushed a bit at him saying her name, squeezing him a bit tighter. She then jumped into the water.

Swimming up to the boat was easier, as Mac was kicking his feet in sync with her to propel them quickly up to the side of the boat, before climbing a rope ladder back on. Saphoa stayed in the water to help Mazzy get the trunks up into the boat.

“Princess, Mazzy,” the helmsman said. “Shall we go back to the land?”

Saphoa nodded, and the sailors started raising the anchor.

After they were ready, they turned the boat and headed back for shore. Since they were not that far off shore, he could still easily see the mountain range they had crossed in order to get to Ludout. And he might even be able to see the coast in the horizon.

“Where are we heading?” Mazzy asked, seemingly excited, but barely being able to keep herself composed.

“To Mac's palace,” Saphoa simply said.

“I know that. I mean, where is the palace?”

Mac pointed to the mountains, “It's over the other side of those, and down a bit. The capital Pearie is at the base of the mountain, and the palace is a bit up it.”

Mazzy nodded in understanding. “Do you have other beast-human maids?”

Mac nodded. “Yes. Several, in fact.”

“Mac also has several beast-human wives,” Saphoa said to her.

Mazzy nodded again, seemingly satisfied. “Do any of your administrators or other vassals like beast-human women as well? I had been waiting until Princess Saphoa was engaged, and if we're going to be living in Ositania, I may as well find myself a husband and settle down there, too.”

She looked at Mac expectantly, and Saphoa also seemed invested. Well, I can understand. He thought for a moment, I guess La Hire would count, but I don't know if I want to put that on him when he already has Fiona and Kelly. And maybe Kylie too. I'll bring it up with him first. Or his wives. “I can try to set you up, at least.”

Mazzy seemed content at that, giving a smile and a nod.

 

After getting back to Ludout, they introduced Mazzy to the other maids so she could go prepare with them. The carriages were already being loaded up and preparing to leave.

“We discussed everything we need to start working together, and Queen Haliya wants to get back and talk to her staff,” Marie explained.

“You pick capable woman as your negotiators,” Queen Haliya said, with a smile.

Mac blushed, “Actually, Marie came with the Kingdom when I got it.”

“Haha, the Spirits favor you then,” Queen Haliya responded.

Mac smiled, knowing that at least one did.

“What did you think of your brief visit to Arkanta?”

“It was beautiful. Hopefully we can come back and stay for a longer trip at some point.”

Queen Haliya nodded. “You will need to bring my grandchildren to visit, at the least,” she explained, causing Saphoa to blush slightly.

 

They loaded into the royal carriage, Saphoa in tow after giving one final hug to her mother. Charlotte and Fawna were bombarding her with questions, which luckily Saphoa seemed more than happy to indulge them in.

“Do you sleep in the water?” Fawna asked.

“No we have dry rooms we sleep in.”

“Can you talk with fish?” Charlotte asked.

“No, we only hunt them for food, or keep them as pets.”

This continued for a while, until they seemed to have exhausted themselves asking things about Arkantan culture and the sea serpent-human race, and passed out on the bed.

Charlotte and Fawna are really cute together.

When they had finished, Marie was using the time to grill Saphoa on her administrative and noble knowledge.

“Do you know how to count taxes?”

Saphoa nodded. “Yes, I've worked on that with our administrators before.”

“Are you up to date with current political situations in neighboring countries?”

“Yes. Probably more so than Mother is, actually. I was always the one gathering knowledge from our traders. I know you had a terrible war a few years ago. I know Provent is having financial issues. And I know there might be an uprising in Catlan soon.”

Marie did a double-take. “An uprising in Catlan?”

Saphoa nodded, “Yes. Our traders say things are bad there, and many have been avoiding it.”

Marie nodded. “You'll need to speak with Kay when we're back.” She thought for a moment, “What about mustering troops?”

Saphoa nodded. “Yes. We've been attacked by the Azoran empire several times before, and had to fight them back, so we practice mobilization often.”

Marie blinked a few times, trying to think. “Azoran? I don't think I've ever heard of them. Are they across the sea?”

Saphoa shook her head, “No, they are underneath it. They are a squid-human empire that marches up from the depths, attacking our villages and trying to enslave us.”

Mac and Marie looked at each other. “That's terrifying.”

Saphoa nodded at Mac. “It is. Because of the spread out nature of Arkanta, we have to be able to muster quickly and send troops along the border to where the incursion is, so mobility is a well-studied topic in our country.”

Marie nodded slowly. “I'll have to get you to talk with some of our military leaders, as well...”

 

They stopped again at the inn at the crossroads, being warmly greeted again by the old tanuki-human couple.

“Oh my, you have a seafolk with you!” the old lady said. “It's nice to meet you.”

Saphoa smiled back, “It is nice to meet you as well. I am going to be marrying your King.”

“Oh my, congratulations!”

Mac grabbed his forehead, Is it okay to just announce it like that? And 'seafolk'?' He looked at Marie, who shrugged, so he asked Saphoa. “Is seafolk supposed to refer to you?”

Saphoa nodded. “Yes, it is common for the people along the coast to call us such. We often refer to you as 'landfolk', though I can see now that is probably too general of a term in most circumstances,” she added, looking at all the different races assembled in the small tavern area.

 

Saphoa waited while the others sat down for dinner. The others looked at her, then looked at the seat next to Mac, then took a different seat. Eventually, she was the only one left standing, so she sat down in the empty chair next to Mac.

Across from her was one of Mac's other fiances. Fawna, a deer-human. She gave her a cute smile, then ravenously started piling the roasted fish that was being served onto her plate.

Saphoa followed suit and piled her plate as well. She generally preferred freshly caught fish, but she was willing to give this a shot. She was pleasantly surprised as the taste of the warm fish in her mouth. Instead of the normal texture, it was very flaky, and had a note of citrus. I might get called a heretic at home for suggesting we cook our fish, but this is just magnificent! She got slightly worried that she would seem weird enjoying the fish so much, but everyone else seemed to be devouring it as well, so she was confident she wasn't bringing undue attention to herself.

After three platefuls, Saphoa was leaning back in her chair. Fawna mirrored her, and started giggling, “We both ate a ton.”

Saphoa smiled, “It was marvelous cooking.”

Fawna leaned forward a bit, “It was really good, but Tillie's is even better.”

“Tillie? The head maid at the palace, right?”

Fawna nodded. “When I helped her in the kitchen she tried to instruct me to cook as well as her. I improved a bit, but it was a bit depressing comparing myself to her.”

“You were...a maid?”

Fawna blushed, “Yes...” and trailed off, holding her cheeks.

Why is that something to blush over? The rumor was that the King of Ositania had a penchant for seducing his maids, and then it changed to that he was collecting all the beautiful woman of his realm.

She looked around Mac at Marie, who had a confident, mature beauty that reminded her a bit of her mother. I think they said she is already with his child, so he must be into women like that.

She then looked at Charlotte, who was staring into a small cup of wine in her hand. She had an elegant, yet cute aura. A bit short, but with long golden hair, and a small chest. Hmm, she is very different, but I could tell from the way they interacted they are very happy together, so he must be into her as well.

She then looked at Fawna. She was average height, but with a rather large chest (probably the same as her own) which was accentuated by her cute deer-human features. Of all of them, she was the closest to the classic definition of 'sexy' (or at least what Saphoa thought it would be). It's no wonder Mac claimed her as his own.

She then looked at herself. He had already said he had no issues with her being blue. Her green hair was almost as long as Charlotte's. Her chest was the same size as Fawna's. Her confidence was easily on par with Marie's. Her webbed, multi-pointed ears were a bit unique, but that could be a selling point. Yes, he should definitely be into me! I have all the tools necessary.

Mac had gotten up at some point, and was talking with some of the guards while drinking wine.

Fawna looked over at him, then at Saphoa. She leaned over and whispered, “Do you want to sleep with him tonight?”

Saphoa blushed a bit. “Sleep? You mean like, in his room?”

Fawna shook her head. “No, like have sex.”

Saphoa blushed further. Already!? But we just got engaged today! “Err, should I really be-”

Fawna cut her off, “He made me wait a bit, but I eventually seduced him,” she nodded confidently.

Saphoa's eyes went wide. She seduced him!? I was wrong, she is the confident one! Not the other way around... “Errmmm, I don't know if I'm ready...”

Charlotte, who seemed to have been listening, chimed in, “Mac and I waited a while before we did. You don't need to force yourself. I seduced him once I was ready.”

She also seduced him!? Saphoa turned to Marie, who also seemed to have been listening in. Marie scooched over into Mac's unoccupied chair. “You can have him tonight if you want, but Mac will probably try to stop you.”

“Stop me? What do you mean?” Saphoa asked.

The three of them looked at each other. “You weren't planning on seducing him tonight?”

Saphoa blushed again, “No!” she said loudly.

Everyone looked at them.

“Umm...are you being mean to Saphoa? Please don't-”

Marie held up her hand and shook her head. “Just a girl's talk.”

Mac sighed and nodded, while the guards around him roared in laughter.

Saphoa said quietly, “Why do you think I was going to do...that?”

The other three looked at each other again. “We all did at one point.”

Saphoa just blinked. What did I get myself into?

Charlotte tried to reassure her. “You don't have too. You can sleep with me tonight. I am interested in hearing more about your culture.”

Saphoa smiled, “Thanks, I would like to learn more about elves, too.”

Fawna and Marie looked at each other.

“Please, Fawna, we didn't do anything last night.”

Fawna nodded, “Okay, I understand. I'd be the same way.”

Marie smiled, before standing up and walking over to Mac, grabbing his hand and dragging him down the hall.

“Are they...” Saphoa started.

Charlotte blushed and smiled, nodding.

“Don't worry, once you're ready, we'll add you to the schedule! Actually, I guess we still can, even if you're not having sex yet...”

 

Marie pushed Mac down onto the bed, quickly stripping off her top and bra, sticking her breasts in Mac's face.

Mac chuckled, “Are you okay?”

Marie started tearing up a bit, “No, I just...I just want you...”

Mac held her hands, giving her a gentle kiss. “If something is bothering you, you can talk to me about it. Of course.”

Marie bit her lip. “I'm worried I won't be a good mother.”

Mac was taken aback. “What brought this about?”

“When I was talking with Queen Haliya, it was obvious how much she cared about her daughter. It made me think about our child, and having to raise them, and...I just...”

“Do you not want one? We kind of already-”

Marie shook her head, “Of course I do. Especially with you. I just...don't know if I'll be able to raise them right. And if I can make the same decisions Queen Haliya did. Marrying them off for the sake of the country...”

Mac chuckled, “That's a bit ironic considering one of the first things you talked with me about after coming here was...going over marriage offers.”

Marie smiled, slightly embarrassed. “I know. I still feel bad about that sometimes...I think we should come up with something better than the Introduction Ceremony.”

“Well, it did turn out okay, since I met Eleanor...”

Marie giggled and nodded. “That's true.”

Mac was glad to see her mood turned around. “I think you should feel comfortable relying on others. Especially me. I love you, and I want you to be happy.”

Marie teared up again, but this time with a smile. “You're too good to me Mac,” she said, leaning over and giving him a kiss. “I'm sorry...”

Mac kissed her. “You don't need to be sorry.”

Marie giggled, “No, I'm just sorry I wasted time on something besides making love with you,” she said, kissing him back. She put her hand down Mac's pants and grabbed his mostly-erect member.

She started rubbing it slowly as they made out, while Mac slipped a finger down her pants and rubbed her nethers.

“You're not sore, right?”

Marie shook her head, pulling off her pants, then Mac's. She straddled on top of him, putting her hands on his chest and bouncing up and down.

Mac grabbed her breasts flopping in front of him, squeezing just enough to elicit a soft moan from Marie.

After going a few minutes, Mac felt himself coming. He grabbed her and pulled her against him, squeezing them together, and kissed her as he emptied into her.

Marie kissed him some more, before giving off a satisfied sigh. “What do you think of Saphoa?”

Mac sighed back, “Why are you all of a sudden asking about her?”

Marie poked his chest as they laid next to each other cuddling. “I can think better now that my mind isn't fogged with thoughts you.”

“But I'm right here...”

Marie blushed, “Sorry, the the thought of wanting you...”

Mac smiled and held her close. “I like her. I feel like I have a nose for woman at this point, and she seems like a good catch.”

Marie was confused. “Smell? Catch? Are you saying she's like a fish?”

Mac shook his head, “No, no, it's just a saying. I mean, I think I can tell when a woman is a good choice at this point.”

Marie seemed interested at this comment. “Hmm...so you got that with all your fiances?”

Mac winced a bit. “Well, er...mostly...I guess with some it was quicker than others. But I feel like I can tell when I'll get along well enough with a woman that having them as a Queen would be fine.”

Marie nodded. “That's a valuable skill for a King. I'm curious though, isn't it usually just because the woman is interested in you?”

Mac blushed, “I mean...yes, that helps, but it's more than that. Look at Lady Sophia.”

Marie was thinking, “But what if we hadn't warned you about her? Would she have ensnared you?”

Mac shook his head, “I feel like you're forgetting how I used to be. Remember when I turned down Melissandra? Lady Sophia turned me off with her personality. Although, she seems a bit better, now...”

Marie thought for a moment. “That's interesting. Was I the same when I first summoned you?”

Mac shook his head. “No, you seemed like you had my best interest at heart, if a bit pushy.”

Marie giggled. “That's a fair assessment. I'm curious now, what else turns you off from a woman?”

Mac thought for a moment, then grimaced, “Well, if they're immediately hostile to me...”

“You mean like Gabriella?”

“Yes, like Gabriella.”

 

When Mac isn't Home

 

Gabriella was in her room, sharpening her sword again. She had sparred with some of the guards earlier, but it didn't feel the same, as all the best guards (including the Captain) were away on a trip with the King.

She hadn't been invited to come along this time. Which made sense, since they were negotiating with a different country, and she was...nothing, at this point. Not part of the Ositanian royal family, since she refused anything even close to a courtship with King Mac (and he hadn't seemed interested in her, either). Technically she was still part of the Provental royal family, being the niece of the current King, but she had been given away in the name of peace. She was no longer an officer, unless Ositania tried to recruit her. No chance of that happening, and she wouldn't even accept if they did (or so she told herself).

I'm at a dead end... she thought. She had been struggling to keep a positive outlook lately, having to stop herself from the pits of despair, being cooped up in the palace. She hadn't enjoyed being associated with the King, but the times she had been allowed to accompany them with the guards outside were welcome breaks from the monotony.

As if answering her inner desire, a knock came at the door. She quickly sheathed her sword and put it next to her bed, and walked over to the door. Opening it, outside was Queen Melissandra, one of the few people who occasionally came over to talk with her.

Gabriella always felt a mix of emotions when talking with Melissandra. Distaste at the Queen of a country she hated. Guilt for knowing her country was responsible for the deaths of her family. Jealousy at the effortless grace she exhibited (even when over six months pregnant). Annoyance that she had come to talk to her again out of perceived pity towards her. And relief that she had something to break her away from her own thoughts, if only for a short time.

Suppressing the surge of emotions, she asked, “What do you want?” trying to keep an even tone.

Melissandra smiled, “I was wondering if you'd like to join me for a walk in the yard.”

Gabriella looked at Melissandra's protruding stomach. “Should you really be walking?”

Melissandra giggled, “Thanks for your concern, but Tillie said it's good to get a moderate amount of physical activity. I was hoping I might speak with you a bit. It always makes it go faster when I have someone to talk with.”

Gabriella sighed, “I'll accompany you.” It beats spending the rest of the day sharpening again. She followed Melissandra down to the yard, then walked slightly behind her as she walked along the inside of the wall.

Melissandra looked back at her. “It's hard to talk to you if you're like that.”

Gabriella begrudgingly moved next to her. “What do you have to say to me?”

Melissandra took a moment, then asked, “I just wanted to make sure you were okay, mainly. You stay locked in your room whenever you aren't sparring with the guards.”

Gabriella smirked, “And what else is there to do?”

Melissandra looked down and away, answering, “Well, you could takes walks like these. Or you could talk with people. Most of us enjoy a good conversation over tea.”

“'Us' being your King's women?”

Melissandra giggled, “Yes.”

“I'd rather not.”

Melissandra gave a barest hint of a sigh. “Do you just not like talking to people?”

“I like talking to people I like.”

Melissandra smiled, “So you like me, at least?”

Gabriella winced, Shoot...do I like talking with her? No, I'm just bored... “Its better than sitting in my room. I mostly just talked with family back in Provent, or other military commanders.”

Melissandra nodded. “You can send them more letters, if you like.”

Gabriella gave a 'hmpf'. “Why, so you can intercept those, too? I'm surprised you even allowed the one letter to get to me.”

Melissandra seemed confused. “I'm not sure what you mean. Marie did screen the letters you wanted to send, but all of them were passed along. The only one we received in the months you've been here was that congratulations from your Mother and Father.”

Gabriella winced again, “Congratulating me on an engagement that hasn't happened. There's no way you haven't stopped their letters.”

Melissandra sighed, “We really haven't been.”

Gabriella felt a quiet rage building. Not at Melissandra, but at her parents, and her uncle. She seems to be telling the truth. So my own parents have abandoned me!? Or did Uncle tell them to leave me here as part of his agreement with Mac? Gabriella stopped talking and went into her own thoughts as they walked.

 

I feel so bad for her, Melissandra thought. Gabriella had seemed to realize she was telling the truth about the letters, and now seemed to be thinking about the consequences. I don't really understand either. Maybe they're waiting on an engagement announcement? It doesn't seem like she expected to just be abandoned.

Melissandra waited a while, as they walked in silence, while Gabriella still seemed to be thinking.

After a few minutes, Melissandra was about to ask if her opinion on Mac had changed, but before she could, Gabriella fell to her knees, tears streaming down her face.

Melissandra was momentarily stunned, not expecting the sudden change in demeanor, especially from Gabriella, who normally tried to keep either a stoic or condescending personality. After a moment, she put her hand on Gabriella's shoulder. “Um, it'll be alright...”

Gabriella looked up at her, eyes red, “How? How!? I'm stuck in this stupid palace, everyone here hates me, no one from home cares about me. I'm just a pawn piece to be used for a short peace between countries before I'm thrown to the wayside.”

Melissandra realized the pent up emotions Gabriella had were coming forth now. She got down, and carefully sat down on the grass next to her, patting her back.

Gabriella, stopped crying, looking over at her. “What are you doing?”

“Trying to comfort you,” she replied, continuing to pat her on the back. “You're obviously upset.”

Gabriella seemed unsure how to respond, instead just getting off her knees and sitting next to Melissandra.

“Oh, and just so you know, I don't hate you. I don't...appreciate your comments about my husband, but that's not enough to make me hate someone. I see you're just upset over your circumstances.”

“You do?”

Melissandra nodded. “Yes, I can relate. After my family died in the last war, I was stuck as a maid in the royal palace for years. A palace with no ruler, and no prospects of finding a husband. And no family to return too.”

Gabriella looked down. “How did you get by?”

“Well, I made friends with Marie. And the other maids. And I planned.”

“Planned?”

Melissandra nodded. “I had multiple scenarios planned out. The goal was to become the summoned King's concubine.”

“How did you end up a Queen then?” Gabriella asked, wiping her tears.

Melissandra giggled, “Mac liked me a bit too much to have me as just a concubine. He's very big on feelings. Well, that and if you can be useful in some way...”

Gabriella nodded, already knowing about the King's penchant for delegating tasks from her trip.

After sitting for a few moments in silence, Melissandra carefully stood back up, patting her dress. “Are you feeling better? I should probably get going, I have a check-in with Tillie in a bit.”

“Yes...thanks...” Gabriella muttered.

Melissandra smiled, “Of course. If you ever want to talk, you can send for me. I'm often busy, but I always try to take tea breaks now and then.”

Gabriella tried to force herself to smile. “Maybe I will take you up on that...”

 

Daisy was down at her forge, hammering away. Since Mac was on one of his trips, she could more easily work on her gift for him.

She ran a finger over the ceremonial dagger Mac had made for her, a smile coming to her face. That hunk better like this. Well, he probably will, he likes everything I do for him. It was customary to give a gift back at the wedding ceremony. Often, it was a dowry from the woman's family, or sometimes a new forge. Even positions in companies had been given.

Daisy, however, had something special in mind. With a bit of help from her soon-to-be sisters (mostly in a monetary way) she had everything she needed.

She just needed to finish forging it.

Well, we have another month before my wedding. I can finish it in a month. According to my fiance, I'm the best dwarfsmith in the country. She chuckled to herself, the face of Mac coming down to hers for a kiss after he received his gift coming to her mind.

With that extra motivation, she went back to hammering.

 

Emma was in her office, equal parts excited and scared.

Excited, because her husband have given her her very own fief. After Lord Arpitan had been arrested, his assets and titles had been confiscated. As part-reward for helping out (even if she herself felt she played a small part) she had been given the fief. Mac had told her it was also something for their children. They would need a place for their family in the future, and Mac needed someone he trusted to look over the city and land, so it was a win-win.

She was scared, though, as she felt way in over her head.

Marie said she would help me out, but she isn't even here! She sighed, moving to the next paper. Arpitan's fiances were a mess. She knew math, and Marie had taught her some basic administration skills, but that didn't stop her from feeling overwhelmed.

No no no, Mac believes in me! No, he's counting on me! Taking a deep breath, she grabbed her pen, and began signing orders to send.

 

Felicia and Eleanor were sitting on Eleanor's veranda, drinking tea. They were both in coats, as the weather was turning for the colder, although the hot tea helped.

Felicia was sewing more baby clothes, while Eleanor was going over some reports she had received from the Cartegna estate, a slightly troubled look on her face.

“Is something wrong?” Felicia asked, setting her sewing down and sipping from her mug.

Eleanor shook her head. “Thankfully no. Father has just asked me to hire more scouts to patrol our estate, since he's worried.”

“Worried about...”

“He's worried about security. Navar has been patrolling on the outskirts of our estate that abut their country. And the betrayals of Lord Oran and Lord Arpitan have him worried about internal plots.”

Felicia nodded. “Hopefully it will be okay.”

Eleanor nodded, “Of course. Father and Mac will take care of it.”

Felicia giggled, “For sure.”

Eleanor sat down the papers, and took a sip of her own tea. “Have you thought of a name yet?”

Felicia nodded, “If it's a boy, we're going to name it Fred, after my father, and if it's a girl, Florence, after my mother.”

Eleanor smiled, holding her hands together. “Aww, that's so wonderful!”

Felicia blushed a bit, “Thanks. Mac was struggling, so that was my idea. Didn't you already have one?”

“I gave Mac a list of names I liked for a girl, and he liked 'Elana', so we're going with that.”

Felicia smiled, “That's a pretty name.”

After finishing their tea, Felicia went back to sewing.

Eleanor sat down her pen, having finished writing a set of orders. “I'm really glad you're here, Felicia.”

Felicia blushed a bit, “You sound like Mac”

Eleanor shook her head, “No, I mean it. Having someone I trust help raise kids so I can keep working on what I need to is invaluable. I'm sure Melissandra and Kay feel the same. The others will, too, once their babies come.”

Felicia blushed a bit further, “I like kids, so it's fine.”

Eleanor got up, walking over and hugging Felicia from behind.

Felicia giggled, “Why are you so affectionate today, Eleanor?”

Eleanor giggled back, “I guess I just miss Mac, so I have to throw my affection at you, instead.”

Felicia smiled, standing up to hug her back. “I miss him too.”

 

Kay sat her in study, reading over a letter she had just finished writing to her Father.

 

Father,

 

I hope this letter reaches you well. I and the baby are coming along nicely, Tillie said everything looks good so far and there are no abnormalities. Mac and I have not picked out names yet, but I plan on giving him a list to choose soon. He is currently away on a trip negotiating with Arkanta on a potential trade agreement.

 

As you know, Mac is marrying Daisy in Stromvurk in a month. I don't have any contacts in Stromvurk, so I was hoping you might be able to put me in contact with one, or have one established.

 

Please give Mother my love.

 

Your cute daughter,

Queen Kay of Ositania

 

P.S. You may be receiving another marriage request soon!

 

She nodded as she finished re-reading it. Father should be fine to trade the info on Mac for a contact in Stromvurk. She had been able to leverage information on Mac to good effect so far, for info that had come in handy multiple times already. The bandits, Lord Arpitan...and things Mac wasn't aware of yet.

Her father had floated to her in passing that he might hand over the entire Gascon estate to her, depending on how Mac's rule went over the next decade. Obviously, Kay wanted nothing more than to be able to hand her wonderful husband one of the richest estates in the entire country, but she (and he) would need to work hard before that came to pass.

For now, she was focusing on one thing at a time. Not the easiest task when said wonderful husband seemed to come up with a new idea every week that had her scrambling. Of course, based on the results so far, whatever Mac's grand plan was (assuming he had one), seemed worth following.

She smiled, rubbing her stomach, despite not really showing through her dress yet. Hmm...I'm thinking Ken for a boy and Khloe for a girl. Maybe I should just have Rhea tell me the gender once she's back...

 

 

Side Stories

 

Too Many Catgirls

 

Before the trip to the negotiations with Arkanta, La Hire was sitting in his small apartment, his wife and fiance at his side. They had originally planned on staying in their separate palace rooms (the maid quarters or barracks) until they had gotten the payment for Kelly's wedding and bought a house. However, they had decided they wanted to be able to do couple's activities away from prying eyes now, even though his and Kelly's wedding wasn't until the month after next.

Of course, their 'couples activities' was mainly just having sex. As such, the only furnishings in the apartment was a bed, a couple chairs, and a table.

Today though, they were sitting on the bed, fully clothed, looking over at a fourth person.

“Nyahaha, I should have expected this,” Kelly giggled at them.

Kylie, the fourth person, blushed and looked down. “I'm...I'm serious! Even if I'm just a concubine...” she looked up at La Hire, tears in her eyes, “...please make me yours!”

La Hire blushed, not knowing how to react to this proclamation. Since his marriage to Fiona and the beginning of their nightly activities (including with Kelly, of course) he had gotten much more comfortable around women (or at least, the two of them). But this...this was an entirely different situation.

“When you caught me in your arms, saving me from that evil magistrate...” Kylie went on.

“I didn't even kill him though, I just shielded you...”

“Exactly! You were more concerned with my well-being than your own!”

After that, there was a moment of silence, broken by Kelly. “What will father say, though?”

“I'll...I'll run away from the family, if it means I can be with Captain La Hire!” Kylie replied.

Kelly sighed, “I'm right here though...”

La Hire still wasn't sure what to say. Kylie is cute, and she seems nice, but I don't know about getting even more wives...wait, that's it! I'll borrow from King Mac again! “Fiona, what do you think?

“Your limit is five,” Fiona said in her normal stoic manner.

“Five...?” La Hire asked.

Fiona nodded, looking up at him. “Your limit is five wives. You can choose whoever you want, but no more than five.”

La Hire blushed. “Oh...”

Fiona then gave a soft smile, “I don't mind getting extra sisters, but I think we won't have enough room after five, with the house I want.”

Oh, so it's a capacity problem, not because she minds sharing... La Hire thought, sighing internally.

La Hire turned to Kelly. “Are you okay?”

Kelly giggled again. “Are you kidding? Of course!” she said, before jumping up and hugging Kylie.

La Hire shook his head and mumbled, “There isn't a limit on cat-human wives, right?”

Kelly seemed offended. “Don't let Father hear you saying that! You can never have too many catgirls!”

 

We're the Same

 

On the ride back from Arkanta, Mazzy was sitting in the maid carriage with three others - two cat-human maids, and a rabbit-human maid. He wasn't kidding about beast-human maids.

Fiona noticed her watching them. “Are you okay? Are you used to carriages?”

Mazzy smiled at the concerned maid, “I'm fine, thank you, just thinking...”

Kelly, who was now watching her, asked, “About?”

Mazzy sighed, Maybe they can help me, actually. “Well, I'm a bit concerned about finding a husband...I don't know if I'll be able to find one while working at the palace.”

Kylie, who was sitting next to her giggled, “Are you kidding?”

“No...” Mazzy replied, not understanding.

“I do not believe you will have any problem,” Fiona said succinctly.

Kelly nodded, “You're very pretty. And...blue...”

Mazzy was still confused. “I figured being blue would be a negative.”

“Maybe for some, but I bet men will be tripping over themselves for you. You have a very...exotic look...” Kylie explained.

Mazzy gave a grimace. “Now I'm worried about being tricked by some awful man. I just want a nice, earnest, hard-working husband.”

Fiona nodded, “We're the same. That's how I got my husband.”

Mazzy gave a smile, “Oh, you're already married! Say...” she looked around at the three of them. “Would any of you be okay introducing me to on of your husbands? I don't mind being a secondary wife, as long as he treats me well.”

The other three looked at each other, before bursting out giggling, including Fiona.

Mazzy was confused again, “What's so funny? Do you all think I'm not worthy?”

Fiona stopped herself. “It's not that. We're just all with the same man.”

Mazzy's mouth opened in shock. “Wh-what!? Is this some sort of maid aficionado?”

“No, it's Captain La Hire,” Fiona explained.

Mazzy blinked a few times, trying to remember. “The Captain? That blonde, long-haired man who was running things?”

They all nodded.

“Is he really a good man? I assumed his type would be a playboy, womanizer-”

She was cut off by an angry Kylie. “La Hire is not like that! He's a valiant man who risks his life to save catgirls across the country!”

Kelly sighed, “I guess that's technically correct.”

Fiona explained, “He is not a womanizer. In fact, we had to struggle to get him to do anything with us.”

“Well, he was interested in you on his own...” Kelly teased her.

“I don't want to hear that, after seeing you two in bed together...” Fiona teased back.

Kylie seemed a bit depressed, “At least he makes love with you...”

Fiona and Kelly sighed. “It's just until Father gives his permission. If you two can't be wed, he doesn't want to mess up your chances with another-”

“If we can't marry, we'll just become secret lovers!” Kylie exclaimed.

“It's not a secret if we know...” Kelly sighed again.

Mazzy wasn't sure what to say at this point. What did I get myself into...

 

Girls Talk – Charlotte, Fawna, and Saphoa

 

“What is life in your palace like?” Saphoa asked, as she, Charlotte, and Fawna were sitting on a bed together. While they had two beds, Fawna had seemed excited to be on one together.

“It's wonderful! I spend time cleaning and helping Mac out. And I get to wake him up and help him prep in the morning,” Fawna explained as if listing tasks off.

“I thought you said you went from being a maid to a wife?” Saphoa asked, confused.

Fawna blushed a bit, “I am, but I wanted to continue being his maid in the mean time...”

Saphoa turned to Charlotte, who blushed. “I spend most of my time in my workshop, reading books and working on inventions for Mac. Like that engine.”

Saphoa nodded. “What about the other wives? Are they all as nice as you?”

They both nodded. “Mel, Elly, and Kay are noblewoman like you, so you should get along.”

Saphoa nodded, surprised at the list, “That would be nice.”

Charlotte chimed in, “Daisy is really nice too! She's a dwarf, and really good at making things. She helps with my inventions a lot.”

“A dwarf? Oh yes, I remember seeing her. What about the wedding I went too? Felicia, the rabbit-human?”

Fawna nodded quickly, “Oh yes, she's very nice. And she had a ton of cute siblings! I guess you already met Fiona.”

Saphoa nodded. “Um, how many of you is there?”

Charlotte and Fawna looked at each other. “Well, there's also Emma, she was a commoner, but she's really important now,” Fawna explained. “And you already know about Marie.”

Saphoa held up a hand, “Wait...so at the wedding I went to, was every single woman at that table one of Mac's wives?”

They both nodded, “Besides Fiona and Kelly, La Hire's other fiance, yes.”

Saphoa didn't know how to respond. “You...you're okay with Mac having that many partners?”

Fawna nodded quickly, “Yes, they're all great!”

Charlotte nodded in agreement.

Fawna seemed confused at Saphoa's reactions. “Do you not have polygamy in Arkanta?”

“We do, but that just seems like...a lot.”

Charlotte and Fawna looked at each other. “Isn't that good?” Fawna responded. “The bigger the family, the better.”

“I...I think it might be a problem if it gets too big, but so far, it's been fine...” Charlotte got out.

Saphoa sighed. I guess I will just have to see...

I have a poll up on Patreon to decide who will receive an extended side-story for the next chapter.  It won't necessarily be during this time period, depending on which character is chosen.

8