Chapter 37: Yuxia’s Folly
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you sure that’s the place?”

“Are you doubting the chief hunter? I’ll have you know that I got my ranger badge-”

“Alright, alright. I didn’t say that. I’m just surprised someone lived here, that’s all.”

Brett kept the map and looked at the dilapidated bunker-like structure ahead. Alright, maybe she does have a point. This certainly doesn’t look like a place someone can live in. Then again, can the Red Clover really be considered a normal person? He scurried over to his companion sauntering up to the front door and grabbed her hand.

“Be careful, Masako. We don’t know what’s in there.”

Masako tapped her head with a finger. “I do. It’s a human. C’mon, I can take care of myself.”

“What if there’s a booby trap?” Brett frowned. “You’ve only just recovered from your injury; I’m not letting you get hurt again.”

Masako ignored him and knocked loudly on the door.

“Yuxia! This is Masako and Brett. May we come in?”

.

.

.

“Yuxia, I know you’re in there. We’re not harbouring any ill intentions; I just want to talk.”

Masako raised her hand to knock again, but felt something grab her wrist. She turned around angrily. “Look, Brett. If you don’t wanna- Oh.”

“You… you’re alive…”

Masako stared wide eyed at the suit of armour holding onto her while Brett stood by it awkwardly. “Yuxia?” she breathed. “But if you’re here, then who is it I’m sensing inside-”

“Henrik, it’s alright,” The Red Clover called out. “These are friends of mine.”


Yuxia glanced over at Henrik, who had almost immediately become best friends with Brett. She smiled slightly as she watched them craft arrows with the materials she had just scavenged.

“You know, I realised I haven’t seen you completely out of that armour before,” Masako broke the silence. “Casual wear is a good look on you.”

“I’m glad to see you alive and well, Masako,” Yuxia said curtly. “But if you’re here to convince me to return, save your breath. I’m happy to remain here.”

“Truly? How about your kid over there? Is this really a place for a child to grow up in?”

“Firstly, that’s obviously not my kid. He’s just a very much younger roommate. And secondly, what’s wrong with this place? A harsh environment strengthens the body and spirit. He’ll need it to survive this world.”

“You sound like a parent already.” Masako chuckled, but her expression sobered up quickly. “It’s not your fault, Yuxia. Nobody is blaming you for what happened. Please come home. We’re family, aren’t we?”

“I don’t think you quite understand the meaning of that word.” Yuxia looked away. “My family is dead. And it’s probably better this way; I’m a menace to those around me.”

Masako pursed her lips, looking away as well. The atmosphere was so heavy that even Brett and Henrik looked over, noticing the abrupt silence.

“Firdaus is alive and very much healthy; Victor scouted that out recently,” Masako muttered. “He’ll be coming for all of us. It’s only a matter of time before he comes for you too. We need to stick together.”

Yuxia tensed a little as her eyes darted to Henrik, who walked over to the two ladies. “It’s alright. Miss Yuxia can beat him!” he piped innocently. “And if she needs help, I’m here for her. I have been training with her too!”

Masako’s lips curved upwards slightly, but they stopped before a fake smile could be formed. “Hey, I remember you.” She patted the boy’s head. “You escaped from the cannibals, didn’t you?”

Henrik beamed and nodded his head vigorously, but Yuxia shook her head. “Take Henrik with you then.”

“I’m not going without you!” Henrik exclaimed, pulling on her arm. “We’ll fight him together.”

“This isn’t a game. I didn’t expect him to be taking action so quickly. Remember what we read in the journal? I’m going to confirm it; it’s the only way we can turn the tables. Follow these people, they’ll take care of you.”

“No. Absolutely not,” Henrik said firmly. “I can help you.”

“We’ll help you.” Masako stepped forward.

Yuxia shook her head again, but with resignation this time. “Fools, the whole lot of you. I can’t take care of so many people.”

“For the record, I’m only doing this because of Masako, just in case she tries to play the hero again,” Brett said. “But she’s right; you’re gonna need all the help you can get. Firdaus isn’t someone you can just strut up to. Besides, you’ve got the chief hunter, an enhanced mutate, and your personal sidekick with you. I think it’s safe to say we’re not exactly helpless.”

Yuxia’s expression darkened.


The Red Clover soared through the air, feeling the slight vibration of her grappling rope retracting as her fingers found the edge of a railing. She flipped her body over with ease and landed on the roof silently. Yuxia darted along the roof, bathed in the dim moonlight.

She had done this routine at least a hundred times before; infiltrating bandit strongholds and robbing those criminals of their supplies for herself. And yet her heart was pounding more furiously than usual. She controlled her breathing, trying to keep her mind off the stakes of this mission. Her eyes scanned the vast compound with her infrared vision, searching for her target. And she had just found it.

Yuxia leapt off the roof, flipping her body like a graceful acrobat and dived straight for the lone man walking on the ground-

CLANG!

Her daggers met the edge of a sword, and she was pushed back with a strong flick of a wrist. Yuxia rolled backwards and cursed silently. She got his attention as planned, but it still stung her pride to be stopped so easily.

I’m definitely losing my touch.

“Come to give me a fruit basket?” Firdaus stared at her coldly, keeping his weapon pointed at her. “Or did you come to finish the job?”

Yuxia fought the urge to engage in another fight. She had one job here; to stall him while the others searched the place. It would do everyone else no good if she ended up killed, or worse, injured. She hated to admit it, but she was no match for Firdaus. Yuxia kept her daggers instead.

“You know, I was rather surprised to find out that you used to be close partners with my father, Mr Ibrahim. That armour doesn’t belong to you.”

Yuxia could almost see the cacophony of thoughts flashing through his eyes like a night train speeding past a control station window. She grinned victoriously behind her helmet; it was rather satisfying to see him lose his cool, even if it was only for a few seconds.

“It’s good insurance, especially after you tried to blow me up with a grenade,” Firdaus said. “But you didn’t come here just to tell me that. What do you want?”

“I read your journal, Firdaus. And I’ve seen your last recorded message in your research centre. You wanted to save this world; to reverse everything that has happened. Why did you change?”

Confusion flashed across his face again. He held his head with one hand with a faraway look in his eyes, as if trying to recall something. Yuxia tilted her head at his oddly exaggerated reaction.

His expression quickly hardened. “This world isn’t worth saving. Don’t you see? It’s plain human nature to be self destructive when left unchecked. You of all people should understand; that’s why the Red Clover corps collapsed upon itself.”

Yuxia flinched.

“Yes, I knew what happened to your organisation. I also know you killed the traitor in the end. But did it undo everything? So what if you avenged your comrades? The damage has been done already, hasn’t it?” Firdaus’ voice raised a little. “I was naive once like you, believing in the power of government and its empty systems. But now I have true power, and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna undo everything I’ve gotten in this new age.”

“True power?” Yuxia laughed. “You’re just a human. Your power is based on nothing but false control, just like the government who betrayed us. You’re a hypocrite.”

Firdaus paused for a moment before laughing hysterically. “You gotta get better at this part of the job.”

Yuxia’s heart skipped a beat. “What are you talking about?”

“You’re stalling.”

A voice crackled in Yuxia’s earpiece. “-Trap…They got us….Abort…mission!”

“And so am I.”

Yuxia barely had time to notice the sword swinging in her direction. Her helmet shattered for the second time as she staggered backwards. Yuxia reached for her daggers, but Firdaus’ fingers found her neck quickly. Her eyes widened in shock as she fought the sudden paralysis that had taken over her body. The man’s eyes glowed fiercely, adding to the sinister smile on his face.

“I have eyes and ears around this place,” his voice echoed around in her skull. “I knew you were heartless, but to think you actually brought a child on a mission?”

Yuxia’s heart sank as she heard the familiar screams of defiance. A group of people dragged her friends from around a corner. Only Henrik was conscious, struggling and kicking against his captors while Masako and Brett were dragged along the floor by their hands.

“You must have figured out what I can do by now, Miss Red Clover,” one of the captors spoke in a monotone voice, his eyes gazing into nothingness.

“All my residents are directly under my control now,” another one said. “The man was the easiest to knock out, as all humans are. The girl was a little tougher, but untrained nevertheless. And the boy-”

“He’s pretty skilled for a kid,” Firdaus continued. “You must’ve trained him yourself.”

“We were ambushed,” Henrik whispered. “I’m sorry…”

“Ah… Don’t be.” Firdaus dropped his voice mockingly. “It’s the Red Clover who should be sorry for bringing you into this. You have potential; perhaps I should take your mind too.”

“Leave him alone!” Yuxia spat and opened her palm.

Her grappling hook burst through the other end of the captor’s shoulder, making him let go of Henrik. The boy seized the opportunity, twisting away and pulling out a pistol from his shoe. Three gunshots rang out in succession, dropping their captors to the ground. Henrik swung around and aimed the gun at Firdaus.

Attaboy. He’s a natural at this. Yuxia smiled proudly, glancing back at Firdaus who had already released her.

The pistol barrel dropped onto the ground, cleanly sliced off in a flash of steel while Henrik only had time to open his mouth. The enhanced mutate moved too fast for a normal human to see, but not for the Red Clover. A second slash aimed at the boy’s neck quickly changed its trajectory, slicing a red nocked arrow in half instead.

The Red Clover seized the chance and rushed forward, standing in front of Henrik with one hand behind her back. She felt his small fingers close around the device in her hand before hearing his scurrying footsteps get further away.

Firdaus leapt after the escaping boy, but was quickly tackled to the ground. The Red Clover blocked his path as he got back up. Yuxia drew her other dagger and a sneer formed on Firdaus’ lips.

They charged.

0