The Nath
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dark green robes, black boots and an ornate hat were his new possessions as he left a few hours later. His initial hunch had been right on the money, these wizards were so bored as to engage in an elaborate culture of showing of their own wealth, status and even family situation with clothing and accessories. There were colours for married, single or even recently divorced people. Their jobs, interests and many more things could be seen by the educated observer. Argentarius did his best to memorize all the information and then decided for the look that said: Wandering, independent Wizard in the service of Azuth. Apparently most wizards were not so keen on actively participating in religion, but they gave respect to those who did. Of course only for Mystra and Azuth, all other clerics were asked to leave or teleported somewhere random 1000 miles outwards.

He concluded that he would not get far inside the capital and best avoided the big shots, as he did not wish to deal with the mess that seemed to be the Council of Elders. Therefore he departed with his knights, still carrying the Symbol of Azuth (left hand pointing upwards with a blue background) on their armour. The region most suited for his plans, unfortunately far from his swamp, was the Nath.

An upland basin of gentle hills in the north-east corner of Halruaa. There where temples, each dedicated to a particular school of magic. Maybe he could gain their trust faster then in the capital.

Argentarius and his knights soared through the open skies of Halruaa, the wind whipping past them as they journeyed towards the Nath. Below them, the land was a patchwork of fields, forests, and mountains, with rivers winding through the landscape like silver ribbons. As they flew, they could see the shimmering blue of the sea in the distance, and the rugged coastline where it met the land.

The Halruaan countryside was a picturesque and diverse landscape, with rolling hills covered in lush green grasses, rocky outcroppings, and dense forests that seemed to go on for miles. The forests were filled with tall, ancient trees, their branches reaching towards the sky, and the ground below was thick with undergrowth and the occasional wildflower. As they continued on their journey, the knights, who parted way with him to scout a bit, caught glimpses of small villages and towns, each with its own unique architecture and culture. Some were nestled in the valleys between the hills, while others sat atop craggy peaks, offering stunning views of the surrounding countryside.

As they approached the Nath, the landscape began to change, with the hills giving way to a more rugged terrain. Surrounding the Nath was a range of mountains that rose up from the land like giant sentinels, their peaks shrouded in mist and clouds. As they flew closer, they could see the deep valleys that separated the mountains, and the winding trails that snaked through them.

Herds of wild rothé (bison) and aurochs doted the landscape as the temperature became more mild.

The temples were situated on the lower slopes of the mountains that surround the valley, nestled in the heart of the Nath. The temples were a marvel of architecture, with towering spires and intricate carvings covering their walls. He looked for the one dedicated to the School of Transmutation, it did not take long as the building was the most tacky and tasteless display of wealth he had laid eyes on in Halruaa. Spires of gold and marble enclosed giant halls made from exotic woods, gems and crystal. The entrance was marked by a set of ornate doors, made of dark wood and adorned with intricate silver designs.

Inside, the temple was a maze of corridors and chambers, each one more ornate than the last. The walls were lined with intricate tapestries and ornate frescoes depicting scenes of alchemy and magic. The air was thick with the scent of incense, and the sound of chanting and meditation filled the halls.

The inhabitants of the temple were a diverse group of wizards, monks, and clerics, all dedicated to the study and practice of transmutation magic. The wizards were clad in flowing robes of varying colors, each representing their own area of expertise. Some were adorned with symbols of the elements, while others had sigils of alchemy and transformation. The monks were lean and nimble, clad in simple brown robes and barefoot. They moved with grace and precision, practising martial arts and meditation techniques in the many open courtyards and training halls of the temple.

The clerics were more reserved, dressed in long white robes and carrying staves adorned with symbols of their faith. They tended to the needs of the temple's inhabitants, offering healing and guidance as needed. As one explored the temple, they would find many rooms dedicated to the practice of transmutation magic. Some were filled with bubbling cauldrons and complex alchemical equipment, while others housed libraries of ancient tomes and texts on the subject.

Due to his dress, he had been able to look around and only received curt nods, as well as curious glances for his golems. Up until he ran into the head priest. He was a middle-aged man with sharp features and piercing blue eyes. He stood tall, with a lean build and a commanding presence. He wore the traditional white robes of the clergy, adorned with intricate gold embroidery and symbols of Azuth. "I am Tiberius Arcturus, the head priest. How may I help the wandering wizard? As you appear to be a servant of Azuth I will overlook you snooping around in my temple." The thereat in his voice did not go past Argentarius. "Greetings to the head priest. My name is Argentarius, a wizard from a different realm, lost on his journey to bring the first Magister's wisdom to different realms." He took a step back and gave a deep bow, he really hoped this guy was also as paranoid as the others and Azuth was willing to throw him a bone for sucking up to him.

Tiberius nodded towards a nearby priest, who departed into a different chamber, presumably to perform some divination.

1