Aberrations
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Argentarius lounged on a small rocky outcropping in the middle of the Akhlaur Swamp, basking in the warmth of the sun. His amethyst scales shimmered in the light, and he stretched his wings lazily, enjoying the pleasant atmosphere. As he closed his eyes and let out a contented sigh, a faint sound caught his attention. His knights, Arthur, Hou Yi, and Arminius, approached him with a report.

"Father, we've heard reports of aberrations in the Bandit Wastes," Arthur said. "Aberrations?" Argentarius said slowly raising his head. "What kind of aberrations?" "We don't know," Hou Yi said. "The reports are vague, but in the border towns people are in a panic. They say the creatures come out of the ground at night and drag people down. Yet we have no way to confirm if the threat is actually an aberration or just a monster." Argentarius thought for a moment. The wizards of Halruaa never left the protection of the mountains surrounding the kingdom, but he was not bound by their rules. "We will investigate," he said. "I can't disappoint master by ignoring possible incursions on this plane. I am its guardian after all." He raised his giant snout haughtily. The knights nodded in agreement, lamenting the fact that their father seemed to get more draconial character traits each day. Argentarius took flight, soaring high above the swamp. He and his knights set off towards the Bandit Wastes, following the winding river upstream that led them out of the lush swamp and towards the shadow of the North Wall. The landscape changed rapidly as they went beyond the borders, the vibrant greenery of the rolling hills past the swamp giving way to jagged hills and dusty plains that stretched out as far as the eye could see behind the giant mountains.

The sun beat down mercilessly upon them, casting harsh shadows across the rugged terrain. The only signs of life were the occasional scraggly shrub or twisted tree that somehow managed to survive in this inhospitable place. The only sounds were from the winds and sand hounding them, as well as the distant howl of some unknown creature. As they flew on, the rough terrain became increasingly treacherous. Jagged rocks and boulders littered the path, and deep ravines seemed to appear out of nowhere. The knights had to be careful not to lose concentration on their flight, for a single mistake could mean a deadly fall. Despite the harshness of the landscape, there was an eerie beauty to be found in the desolate wasteland. The sun cast long shadows across the rocky hills, creating a play of light and shadow that was almost hypnotic. The endless expanse of dusty plains seemed to stretch out to the horizon, a vast canvas waiting to be explored. As Argentarius and his knights journeyed through the barren Bandit Wastes, they stumbled upon a small group of travellers huddled around a campfire. As they approached, the group of three armed men tensed up and drew their swords. "Who are you, and what business do you have in these lands?" one of them demanded. Argentarius calmly introduced himself and his knights, explaining that they were simply passing through on a mission to investigate the reports of aberrations in the area. He also used his Calm Emotions spell, very handy for normal folk. The armed men seemed to relax a bit, but still kept their weapons drawn. "You should be careful around here," one of them warned. "The Blood Screamers have been on a rampage lately. They're a group of savage gnome weremoles led by a vampire illusionist. And if that weren't enough, we've heard rumours that they've been taken over by a colony of mind flayers."

Argentarius' expression darkened. "Mind flayers? That complicates things." Just then, they heard a blood-curdling scream coming from the direction of the hills to the east. The armed men tensed up again, and one of them muttered, "That sounds like them." He looked to his knights and nodded. "We need to investigate this. Thank you for the warning. You better get out of here, it might get ugly." They nodded and packed their things, before heading of in the opposite direction.

As the group cautiously approached the entrance, to what they imagined was the Blood Screamers' lair, they noticed the air was thick with the stench of decay and blood. The tunnels were dark, narrow, and twisted, making it difficult to see more than a few feet ahead. The walls were slick with moisture and slime, and the occasional torch flickered ominously in the distance. As they descended deeper into the warren, they began to hear strange noises-guttural growls, frenzied scratching, and wet, sucking sounds. The hairs on the back of their necks stood on end as they realized that they were not alone in the darkness. Suddenly, a group of twisted, gnarled creatures leapt out from the shadows, snarling and clawing at the group. The creatures appeared to be a twisted mix of gnome, dire mole, and zombie. The fight was brutal and terrifying, with the creatures blood curling screams penetrating their ears as they fought. Their claws and teeth were razor-sharp, and their movements were unnaturally quick and fluid. The group fought back valiantly, but the creatures were unrelenting and seemed to regenerate wounds almost instantly. Argentarius had no Problem in killing them, but there were so many that they managed to swipe him Form behind while he dealt with others. Soon even his knights showed dents and scratches. The Olympian Bronze was starting to corrode from the vile liquids. After another minute of intense slaughter they finally killed the last one. Argentarius cleaned them Up and did some simple repairs. As the group pressed deeper into the tunnels, they found themselves in a large cavern filled with pulsing, writhing flesh. The walls and ceiling were alive, wriggling and squirming. The smell of rot and decay was overwhelming, and the group realized with horror that they had stumbled into the mind flayers colony. Suddenly, a group of them appeared from around the corner, the tentacles on their faces writhing as they prepared to attack.

1