Getting familiarised.
576 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Right, well. Let’s start sorting things out then shall we?” Mother asked as soon as we walked into her office. 

There was a rug with a table on top of it right in front of you as you entered with a sofa either side. At the back, behind the table was a desk with various things placed upon the smooth mahogany wood. A window was placed behind the desk with a glass door leading to a balcony with wood railings that had been painted white. There were bookshelves on ones side of the room and a fire place on the other which had a mirror hanging on the wall above it. 

“I guess so?” I replied, unsure on how to answer it. 

“Well let’s start then, you can sit in the chair behind the desk, I’ll stand next to you. I’ve already gotten some documents laid out in the desk but don’t pay them much attention, only the ones I’m showing you directly.” I nodded as I climbed up onto the leather chair that wasn’t too firm but also wasn’t too soft and squishy.

Mother slid the layout plan of the whole first floor and then one of the second floor over to me. It showcased multiple twists and turns among the corridors that had various rooms branching off from them, all of which were labelled. A multitude of rooms were simply labelled as ‘spare room for whatever’ or ‘unused’ since there was nothing inside of them or was just another room with similar furniture as the others labelled as ‘kitchen’ or whatever it may be.

The same went for the second floor, “I don’t think I’ll need to show you the attic or basement unless you want to explore either of them.” Mother murmured yet it was loud enough for me to hear which seemed to be done on purpose. 

“I don’t think I’ll need them.” I answered. 

“Good, have you finished looking or would you like to keep them to look over and get into your memory.” 

“It’s fine, I’ve already memorised it.” 

“Haha, you must have a good memory then. Good girl, let’s move on then.” Mother then took a folder out of the draw that had been built into the desk and placed it in front of me, “just flick through it, it has all of the people working here. It should be marked where the pictures and short descriptions end and for where the in depth backstories behind each begin so I wouldn’t recommend going past that point. Oh also these,” mother pointed at certain rooms, “are rooms you can’t go in and these,” she pointed at a few other rooms, “are the ones you will be using, if you have any complaints then I can change that.” Mother said as I nodded.

I then took a brief glance into the folder laid in front of me, looking at each photo and description, skimming over each page yet memorising it all as I went. 

‘Should I look through their backstories? I could get a better understanding of each of them so I know how to react around them along with what and what not to do when with them. Hmmm… that could be a good idea.’ 

I continued through the folder and into the more in depth part of it, taking in each page with perfect recollection for when I needed it. 

I eventually finished, closing the folder and nodding to myself, ‘I was slightly surprised to see that quite a few had lived on the streets for a portion of their lives. Maybe not at as young of an age a I am but it’s still sad to hear, others had abusive parents as well so they found living on the streets more bearable.’ 

“Surprised?” Mother asked with a smile. 

“Slightly so, yes.” I nodded. 

“I’d often find others on the streets so I’d normally help out one way or another. The people you saw in the folder all asked to come with me and repay their dept to me by working here but whenever I tell them there is no dept between us they still want to work anyway.” Mother sighed, “anyway, have you finished?” 

I nodded again, “next thing then,” She looked over at me, “the house rules. Make sure to follow them, alright sweetie? They arent in any particular order by the way, each is as important as the other.” She patted my head.

“Alright.”

“1: treat everyone in the mansion with respect, I don’t want you growing up to be arrogant and impolite.

2: If you break something, tell me or a servant. Don’t blame it on someone or something else.

3: knock on closed doors before entering unless the room/rooms are specifically yours. 

4: if I call for you then I’ll need you to come straight away, I’ll send someone to collect you and depending on the situation will deem how quickly I’ll need you. 

5: no shouting unless you’re in trouble, it’s unnecessary noise. 

6: put things away after using them. 

7: don’t leave mess and clean up if you drop something, if it’s something you can’t clean up then you can ask someone to help you. 

8: if you want someone coming around then it’s best to ask me but when you’re older, depending on the person, it’ll normally be alright for someone to come over whenever.

9: love yourself and don’t treat yourself badly but don’t think of yourself as someone better than everyone else. 

10: don’t go to sleep so late, make sure to get enough sleep.

And I think that’s it. I might’ve forgotten some but if I remember them or want to add more then I’ll tell you.” 

I nodded, digesting the information before mother moved onto the next thing.

“Next thing would be how to decorate/fill your room with things you like and furniture or your clothes but we can do that in a bit since we will need to go shopping… school. Would you like to go to school sweetie or would you rather being homeschooled?” 

“Homeschooled?” I had never heard that term before, “like school but at home?” I asked with a hint of confusion in my voice. 

“Yes, just like school but you won’t be leaving the house. You’ll learn everything you need to but social interactions with others will definitely lack behind since there isn’t anyone for you to communicate with. You can learn social patterns and interests but you won’t be putting it to practical use.” 

“I’m fine with that.” 

“So you want to be homeschooled?” 

“Yes please, I’d rather doing it that way.” I said, ‘I’ll go to a school later, UA the hero school preferably. Though I still don’t know what quirk I have. It’ll manifest at some point so I’ll know and be able to subconsciously use it though it’ll take practice.’ 

“Very well, if that’s what you’d rather.” Mother nodded and wrote down several things on a piece of paper in her note book. 

“Should we go clothes shopping today or tomorrow?” Mother checked her phone, “it’s 13:11 so there is plenty of time to get some things today, unless you’d rather settle in first before we do anything else?” 

“We can go now, I don’t mind.” I nodded and slid of the edge of the chair while mother nodded and went to the door. 


________

(1223 words) 

22