#001 Apologies and Fleeting Sensations
2k 6 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Despite how confusing this first chapter is, thank you so much for those who've stuck around. Ill be rewriting this in the near-ish future to better align with what I have in mind for the rest of the story. Thank you all so much for your support and comments <3 They mean the absolute world to me :3

 

"Remember that you have to Die." The words echoed in Nick's mind as he found himself lying on his back in endless darkness. Every direction he looked showed nothing but more cold, bleak, night. How exactly did he end up here? Where exactly was here? Questions he didn't have answers to. "Last thing I remember was playing video games at home, what happened?"

"You died. Do you not remember?" Asked a voice that spoke directly into Nick's head as he looked around for its source. He was still alone, but clearly, someone was watching him.

"I don't. What happened? Where am I?" Nick asked back as he spoke into the endless dark void he was in, the lack of an echo unsettling him.

"You were killed in an accident, far too soon dear." The voice replied, now much closer. It was a soothing, feminine voice. Not unlike a mother gently consoling her child. "A large crane fell onto your apartment. You were killed instantly and painlessly. It was something that should not have ever happened, so I am here to apologize." The feminine voice continued, a sad tone in her voice that indicated she was teary-eyed as she spoke.

Nick had no words to reply with. The caring woman was likely speaking the truth. Why else would he be in some sort of limbo? Yet, he didn't know what the correct reaction to that information was. A rather large part of him felt empty, not emotionally, but physically. He looked down at his own body, dressed in the same clothes that he last remembered wearing, but with parts of it missing. His limbs were all there, but his insides didn't feel quite right internally.

"After the accident, paramedics arrived at your apartment and did their best to save you. Unfortunately, your situation looked grim." The voice paused for a moment as Nick heard her voice break slightly."They were able to salvage parts of your body and were able to save 3 others that had been involved in the same accident." There was a long pause before she spoke again. "To thank you, I would like to give you another chance at life. In a different world. A better world I hope. It would mean a lot to me if you would agree, it is the only way I can thank you for what you did."

A new chance at life. The words had a certain appeal to him. His old life was nothing special after all. He spent his days working in a restaurant and his nights playing video games. To be told that his life did have meaning, in the end, was comforting in a way, even if being thanked for it wasn't something he had planned on. "Okay," he responded, the words coming out of his mouth without too much thought. He didn't know what his other option was, but a chance at doing better this time around was a chance worth taking.

"Thank you." The mysterious lady responded, a weight clearly lifted off her shoulders. It almost felt like she was taking personal responsibility for his death. "I will grant you my blessing in this new world, which will manifest its way for you in a familiar manner. I pray that you live your life to the fullest this time around." The otherworldly woman finished as he felt her voice get further away. With no warning, the suffocating darkness was replaced by a blinding white light as he closed his eyes and found himself somewhere else.

46