#008 Potentials and Level ups
1k 2 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

+15 xp

Quest Complete! Exterminate the slime population!
+150 xp

It really was as easy as he expected. Kicking the slimes did feel a bit weird, like kicking something that's somewhere between a heavy water balloon and a half deflated soccer ball. At least the results spoke for themselves. Nick was surprised to see that he hadn't leveled up after completing the quest. Unluckily for him, he was still missing one more slimes worth of xp to hit level 2. Unluckily for the slimes, he had taken long enough killing them that he had enough mana for another one of his combos.

+15 xp

You have reached Level 2! Health and Mana have been fully restored!
+5 stat points
+Access to the Potential System

New achievement
You reached level 2! Not bad, but you really ought to catch up with your sister soon!
+3 stat points

Finally, level 2. It even came with a new surprise to work with. The 8 stat points could wait for now, another system being added to his powers was far more interesting. Opening up his status screen, he noticed the tab that used to have a lock on it has disappeared.

Please choose your potential!
Water Elemancer
Ice Elemancer
Pervert

The last option was out of the question. The system wouldn't even explain what any of the choices did or changed. Ice magic seemed like a decent option, but he hadn't seen Amelie using any ice, so maybe it was too early to pick it, leaving the first option.

You have chosen Water Elemancer!
Potentials provide new spells and upgrades while equipped! Equipped Potentials grow as you gain xp until they are mastered!
You can choose a new Potential after mastery, while still keeping the bonuses from mastered Potentials!

Current Potential: Water Elemancer
Rank 1: Aqua Arrow's damage is increased
Rank 2: Aqua Arrow's cost is reduced if the attack connects to a target
Rank 3: New Spell
Rank 4: ???
Rank 5: ???
Mastery: ???

Nick was a bit overwhelmed by the barrage of new information. It seemed like picking a potential amounted to picking what he wanted to improve in the short term. He couldn't switch his potential out until he had mastered it, but part of him was very curious on what sort of benefits he could gain from the 'Pervert' potential. Probably just even more libido, which could wait.

With 8 stat points, Nick needed to think about how to properly spend them. Strength maybe so he could kick the slimes? No that wasnt it. It was probably best to refine his more magical abilities. His only damaging spell, Aqua Arrow was already getting a damage boost thanks to the Rank 1 ability of his potential, so why not boost it even further?

Increasing intelligence would improve the total amount of mana he has and the damage he would deal. On the other hand, increasing wisdom would improve his mana regeneration for even more attacks. Nick weighed his options, but already had his mind set on increasing his intelligence. More damage was always a good move and at Rank 2 his potential would give him a way to keep mana costs down. Hopefully, that wouldn't be too far away.

With all 8 points going straight into intelligence, Nick felt proud of his progress and was ready to start destroying the slimes again. Adding up the intelligence increase with his Rank 1 potential buff, he knew these slimes would go down like flies.

 

 

Skill Level up!
Aqua arrow is now level 2! Damage increased and cost reduced! Cost: 10 mp> 8 mp

Even with the larger mana pool, the arrows cost quite a lot. At least now with his new power ups, they were effective against the slimes. One arrow was all it took to completely kill a slime. Just how big was Amelie's mana pool if she was still fighting? Either way, Nick was spent for now. He left his little corner in the forest and headed back to where he originally left his sister.

 

Amelie had spent her time slaying slimes without too much worry. She was here to improve her magic and abilities to catch up with her brother. She was only a year younger, but he still served as someone to look up to for her. She was really happy to hear her Nick had made it into the Academy even if his acceptance was practically guaranteed. As she felt her mana pool dwindle, she sat down in the grass to rest and think. Her brother had been acting a bit weird lately, but it was in a good way at least. He never asked to join her on her little adventures to the slime forest, and most surprisingly he even blushed when talking to her. She tried not to make it obvious she knew, but ever since she brought him back home from the beach, his eyes wandered all over her body. At first, she thought she might be imagining things, he hadn't shown that kind of interest in her before. 

Not that it was a bad thing really. Yet, Amelie never thought about that until now. Maybe she was just overthinking things. All she knew right now was that her brother had been nicer and much more pleasant to be around. It was a bit weird to feel this way but all the staring he was doing even helped to make her feel attractive, and she knew he would always take his chance to stare when he could.

 

45