#021 Summoning and Spirit Communication
1.4k 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another day went by and it was time for Nick to go to his summoning class. Aside from the water elementalism class he had the day before, this was the class he looked forward to most. He couldn't help but think of spirits in the same way they were portrayed in media from his old life, like magic familiars to use in fights that can wield many different powers.

Nick felt something pressing against his mind as he left his dorm room. It was a little uncomfortable, yet not painful like something was knocking on his mental door.

A spirit wishes to contact you!
Accept?

Not knowing any better, he hit accept and let the being in. Suddenly, a flash of images appeared in his mind. It was a bit hard to interpret at first, but he saw the building where his summoning class was held, and then the vision showed a different location a bit further away accompanied by a feeling of confidence, affirmation, and even excitement. The spirit then showed him the summoning building again and instilled emotions of anger, frustration, and disappointment.

With that message sent, the visions ended and Nick could see a small fist-sized being that was nearly completely transparent fly away, leaving him a bit confused. It looked like it was telling him to avoid his summoning class and go elsewhere, but why? Just thinking about the classroom brought up some of the negative emotions the spirit had instilled in him, yet to a much weaker degree. Making up his mind, Nick decided to head to the location the spirit seemingly had wanted him to go to. It was still in the school, and luckily it was a bit closer to his dorm, so there was no harm in checking it out.

 

 

Approaching the location the spirit had asked him to go to, he found an open door to a classroom. Walking in, he saw 3 students sitting down and who he assumed to be his teacher. They all looked up at him as he walked in, yet his teacher looked most pleased about it.

"Glad you can join us Nick~" the woman spoke with a wide smile. "Have a seat please~" she told him as she gently placed her hand on his back and pushed him past the doorway and into the classroom. Still confused, Nick didn't say anything and sat in the one remaining seat.

"Now that everyone is here, feel free to get to know each other~ This is the entire class, so get comfortable~" She explained as she gave a quick bow and leaned against her own desk. "I'm Ms. Daybeam, your summoning teacher~"

Nick tried to keep eye contact with his new teacher which proved difficult. Her outfit was... revealing, so to say. That might even be an exaggeration. She was essentially wearing a black sleeveless bodysuit that only covered her top yet had a deep neckline. She adorned a black and red mage hat with a heavy-looking red gemstone at the top along with a pair of black gloves that reached her elbows. Her long, blonde hair, cascades down her back and to her thighs as the outfit is completed with a small red ribbon just under her massive chest. Nick felt it was a bit unfair having to wear a uniform himself when the instructors clearly had no such limitation, but at least it led to amazing sights that he would've only expected to see in a video game.

"The other, 30 or so students who signed up for my class are in the original classroom, speaking to an instructor who is helping them pick another class~ You, my lovelies, are the only ones eligible to learn from me~" Ms. Daybeam explained, carefully watching the other students reactions. Her voice was warm and soothing, carrying her many years of experience with her. "You see, as you four know, I sent out a spirit informing everyone of the new location of this class~ yet you're the only ones who made it~ It takes a special kind of gift to be able to sense when a spirit is attempting to communicate with you and being able to instinctively respond~" She explained as the small, nearly transparent spirit that visited Nick reappeared, along with 3 others that circled the room.

"Those who don't have the gift that we do should spend their time studying something they are more suited to~ Which makes you all very special~ Now, my class will primarily focus on covering the simple, non-combat, abilities and uses of spirit summoning~ Naturally, there are other kinds of beings and objects you can summon, but you should leave such creatures alone until you are much more experienced~"

She pulled out a bunch of small papers from a drawer in her desk and handed them out to the few students in the class. To Nick, they looked like business cards. Just about the right size and weight. Inspecting the cards, they had drawings all over them that converged to a circle in the middle. Looking closely, each of the cards he was given had a slightly different design to them, yet they all converged to the same circle.

"These are spell circles I've made to help you learn the very basics of summoning~ Simply channel your mana through the paper~" Ms. Daybeam continued as she watched everyone look at the cards curiously. "You all should consider yourselves very lucky to be able to contact spirits~ Any city in the world will always have an opening for someone with your talents~" She explained as she walked over to one of the walls in the room, drawing attention to the simple shower head attached to the wall. She flicked a switch, and water started pouring out onto a small drain beneath it.

"The most common use for spirits is to simply make life easier for everyone~ In many areas of the world, having access to water on demand such as this is a luxury~" Flicking the switch back off, she walked back to her desk as the water stopped running. "Spirit summoners can summon a water spirit such as this, and by anchoring the spirit to a mana battery placed nearby, you can ensure the spirit stays there for years~"

"Another use that you are all now familiar with, is communication~ the only drawback is that it can only be effective in situations where you need to speak to another spirit summoner~" Pausing for a moment, she smiled and nodded her head at one of the students next to Nick who was raising their hand.

"Uh- well, I've heard that some people can use spirits to communicate with people who don't have the gift, is that right?" The man asked a bit hesitantly. He was large and bulky and fit the image of a jock in Nick's head.

"It's possible, but summoning a spirit capable of doing that is more costly and the receiver is likely to be stuck with a headache for a few days~ Max, you're a third year, correct~? You'll find that the easier a spell is to cast, the more effective it can usually be~" Nick was surprised to hear that his classmate was 2 years older than him. He hadn't paid any attention to him, but looking at him closely it seemed obvious. His uniform was the same as his own, except with red accents instead of blue, and a bit more unkempt.

"They tell me it's a good skill to have for emergencies."

"Who's 'they' dear~?"

"Some of the guys from the expedition team."

"Ah~ well those who specialize in combat are bound to ignore something as minor as a headache~ Dont worry, work hard and you'll learn how to perform something like that in an emergency~"

It sounded like this Max guy was on the very same expedition team he wanted to join. Considering Sam had told him that they might not take first years like himself, knowing someone on the team who was older was bound to come in handy. Making friends with him suddenly became a priority.

36