Chapter 56: Rahhalah
96 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun burned hot and fierce in the cloudless sky above the land of Nekhara, casting its golden rays over the forgotten remnants of a once-great civilization. To the untrained eye, it seemed a desolate and forsaken place, a land of sand and stone where nothing stirred save the wind. But beneath the surface, ancient power slept, waiting to be awakened.

 

And in the skies above this land, a battle raged.

 

The three Rahhalah, Amara, Tarek, and Faris, found themselves in the midst of a fierce confrontation, their fates hanging by a thread as they clashed with a horde of vengeful Tepmyn. The humanoid creatures bore the heads of various animals, each a foul mimic of the gods they hoped to imitate. Mounted on the backs of fearsome airborne beasts, the Tepmyn fought with fury and malice.

 

The Rahhalah, no strangers to danger, met their foes with equal ferocity. They rode upon the back of their trusty Kheirian Nightwing, Azar, the mighty creature's leathery wings beating powerfully through the air. The skies had become a battlefield, the air thick with the sounds of clashing steel and the roars of furious winged things.

 

Tarek, his broad, muscular frame barely contained by his armor, held tightly to Azar's saddle as he swung his massive sword through the air as they passed. The blade cleaved a path of destruction through the Tepmyn ranks, sending their mounts spiraling toward the ground far below. He laughed as he fought, his voice echoing through the chaos. His was a joy he found in the heat of battle.

 

"Seems like the gods themselves are trying to knock us down!" he bellowed, his grin wide and fierce.

 

Amara, the captivating beauty with eyes that seemed to pierce through the very fabric of reality, moved with an otherworldly grace as she conjured another meteor swarm. Her hands wove intricate patterns in the air, the symbols of Ka she traced leaving trails of shimmering light that seemed to hang suspended in the sky. The blazing projectiles roared through the air, streaking toward the Tepmyn forces with deadly intent.

 

"These beings are not worthy to even stand in the gods’ shadows. We'll send them back to the depths of the Afterworld before they even touch us!" she declared, her voice like thunder.

 

Faris, with hair like silver moonlight, fought with a quiet intensity that belied the incredible power he wielded. His eyes glowed with an inner light, and, one foot crooked around Azar’s reins for stability, he released a volley of Ka-fueled arrows that streaked through the sky with deadly precision. Each found its mark, its target falling from the sky, lifeless, as the Tepmyn's numbers dwindled.

 

The chaos of battle surged around them, but the Rahhalah were a force of nature, their power unleashed in a wave of destruction and calculated fury. Amara tapped into the powers of the air around her and—using an ability she’d often deployed in times like these—sprang upwards suddenly, riding on the thermals of the wind as she soared to a different stretch of sky. She could hold this for up to one minute, so she had to be quick about it. Tarek, grinning like a madman and not to be outdone, leapt from Azar's back, his powerful body launching through the air. He landed on the back of an enemy mount, boot connecting with its rider, and with a triumphant roar, sent the owl-headed Tepmyn flying into the abyss below. He brandished his massive sword, his laughter echoing through the sky as he claimed the mount as his own.

 

From his new vantage point, he surveyed the battlefield, eyes narrowing as he spotted another Tepmyn. With a wild yell, he threw himself into the sky once more, a whirlwind of muscle and steel that left devastation in his wake.

 

Meanwhile, Faris, silver hair a beacon in the chaos, danced with death. A serpent-headed enemy shot a beam of energy towards him, a lethal streak of light aimed at his heart. Instead of moving out of the way, Faris defied gravity itself. With a smooth movement, he slid off Azar's back, foot hooked into the reins as he hung upside down. He loosed his arrows  in rapid succession, each one hitting its mark. His eyes glowed with fierce determination, his calm demeanor a stark contrast to the chaos around him.

 

On the other side of the battlefield, Amara stood tall, the winds swirling around her in a vortex of power. Ka energy flowed through her, her hands outstretched as she manipulated the elements with a will of iron. In a display of raw power, she created whip-like tendrils of cloud that lashed out at their enemies, one even yanked a Tepmyn out of his saddle, just as Tarek was about to strike.

 

"Hold your horses, brother!" she shouted, laughing as the Tepmyn flew through the air, the wind whipping through his clothes. "Let's not be hasty!"

 

Tarek's laughter echoed through the skies as he landed on the vacant saddle, his sword gleaming in the sunlight. "Amara, you know I love a good fight!"

 

Suddenly, Amara’s face contorted into concern as she stared at the burly man.

 

“Tarek! Behi—”

 

An arrow flashed over Tarek’s shoulder and embedded itself into the head of the mount that had been speeding right at the muscular man. The creature released a whine of momentary pain, and the rider—who had nearly landed a successful blow to Tarek—let out a yelp of fear as he and his mount suddenly plummeted.

 

Azar soared into view, and dangling upside down beneath the beast’s chest, feet still hooked in the reins, was Faris. It had been his arrow that had saved Tarek. He fired a few more shafts in rapid succession before nodding at his two companions. 

 

“I’ll never understand how y’do it, Faris,” Tarek said, shaking his head. “Hit ‘em all perfectly like that.”

 

“I aim for the enemies,” he said, a wry smirk on his face.

 

Tarek snorted in disbelief, then he offered a hand to Amara, who was at the final cusp of her ability. She took his hand, and he tossed her to Faris. The silver-haired man caught her and swung her up on to Azar, then caught Tarek’s hand and swung him up as well. Tarek used his momentum to bring Faris along with him, until all three were seated atop the great mount.

 

“Now,” said Amara. “Let’s finish this.”

 

And so the battle raged on, the Rahhalah a storm in the midst of chaos. They fought with a savagery that was as awe-inspiring as it was terrifying, their power was their lineage. They were the Rahhalah, the chosen few, and they would not be defeated. The skies of Nekhara belonged to them, and they would fight tooth and nail to keep it that way.

 

But the Tepmyn were many, their efforts relentless, their resolve unyielding. They retaliated with invocations and weaponry of their own, the air crackling with power as they unleashed torrents of Ka and mundane means alike upon the Rahhalah. The sky trembled with the wrath of their assault, the wind howling in protest as the battle raged on.

 

The Tepmyn's ferocity was matched only by their cunning, and despite making great gains, the Rahhalah found themselves hard-pressed to counter their relentless assault. Every victory was short lived as more and more of them appeared in the sky, in what Tarek called an “unending stream of assholes.”

 

And then, abruptly, the tide turned.

 

A Tepmyn sorcerer, his features hidden beneath the visage of a jackal, muttered curses, his eyes glowing with a malevolent light. The words of his invocation seemed to hang in the air, each syllable a promise of destruction. He pointed a gnarled finger at Azar, and with a crackle of dark energy, a bolt of black lightning streaked toward the Kheirian Nightwing.

 

The Rahhalah tried to evade the attack, but it was too late. The bolt struck Azar's wing, and the creature let out a pained cry that echoed through the sky. Tarek, Amara, and Faris clung to their mount as it faltered, its wing buckling beneath the weight of the dark Ka. Azar plummeted toward the earth, the wind roaring around them as they fell.

 

Faris, his face a mask of grim determination, muttered an invocation of his own, his hands glowing with a soft, golden light. He reached out, his fingers brushing against Azar's injured wing, and the Nightwing's descent slowed. But it was not enough to save them from the fall.

 

The world rushed up to meet them, the ground far below a deadly embrace that threatened to claim them all. But as the Rahhalah braced themselves for the far away impact, they found themselves landing. Too early and too high to be the earth below. What could this be? They landed hard, splaying out with oomphs all around. 

 

After a moment, they rose, quickly and decisively. As they peered at their landing, they found the clouds thick around them, but below them was…ground? A verdant, vibrant oasis of green grass, rolling hills, and sheer cliffs awaited them, a promise of the wondrous secrets that lay hidden within the land of Nekhara.

 

Tarek let out a whoop of excitement as he took in the incredible sight. 

 

"Would you look at that? I take it all back. The gods must be smiling on us today!"

 

Stoic Faris wasted no time in tending to Azar. The Kheirian Nightwing's injuries were not severe, but it was clear that it would be some time before the creature could take to the skies again. As he worked, his movements precise and efficient, he cast a wary eye on the floating island, as if expecting another threat to emerge at any moment.

 

Amara, ever the stalwart guardian, ventured forth to explore the floating island. As she took each step, her eyes scanned the surroundings, straining to discern any details. Yet, all she could perceive was an endless sea of clouds, their billowy forms taunting her in their persistence. Frustration began to mount within her, as the dense cloudscape hindered her ability to assess the terrain or potential threats. Despite her unwavering resolve, the seemingly impenetrable veil of mist was enough to test even the most patient of sentinels.

 

However, as the sun emerged from above, the clouds that had once obscured their view parted, revealing a sight that took her breath away. 

 

A dungeon, its entrance carved into the side of one of the hills, loomed before her. 

 

She shouted to Tarek, and the burly warrior came running, his sword at the ready. When he saw the dungeon he let out a low whistle.

 

"Well now, how’s this for a shock? An island in the sky—that’s a rare’n, I figure. A dungeon in the sky, though? Well, now. That's not something I thought I’d see when I slipped my britches on this morning."

 

Faris joined them, his face betraying a rare hint of curiosity as he took in the sight. The Rahhalah exchanged a glance, each one silently acknowledging the possibilities of such a windfall. The battle may have been over, but something else had swapped places with it. As exhausted from their fight as they were, it would be dangerous to plunge right in. However, time was a factor as well…

 

In the world below, the dungeons held secrets and treasures beyond imagining, and the Rahhalah were those most suited to the task of finding them. But this floating island, and the apparent dungeon it contained, was something else entirely. It was a challenge that none of them could resist, a promise that called to the very heart of what it meant to be a Rahhalah.

 

And as they stood before the entrance, they knew that they had no choice but to venture forth into the unknown. What self-respecting Rahhalah wouldn’t? This…place, whatever it might be, was not just a refuge from the battle in the sky; it was a test, a crucible that would either forge them into legends or break them beneath the weight of their own ambitions.

 

Tarek scratched his chin, his eyes narrowing at the ominous entrance. 

 

"We're all a bit knackered after that battle, aren't we? Maybe we should rest up first."

 

Amara smirked, crossing her arms. 

 

"You? Resting? Since when have you ever passed up an opportunity for treasure and glory?"

 

"Well, there's a first time for everything, isn't there?" Tarek retorted, though the glint in his eyes betrayed his excitement.

 

"If we rest now, you'll be snoring in seconds, and we'll have to carry you through the dungeon."

 

Tarek feigned a pout, "Oh, so you do listen when I sleep."

 

Faris interjected, his tone serious. 

 

"As Rahhalah, we have a duty to either enter, or report its whereabouts to others.”

 

“And let someone else have all the glory?” Amara snorted. “I’d rather eat Tarek’s cooking.”

 

“And what, exactly, is wrong with my cooking? Jobh used to adore my fried snake bites.”

 

“Jobh is dead,” Faris said, completely without emotion.

 

“My point precisely,” Amara explained. “If he hadn’t tried to kill us, I’d even feel bad about it. Clearly he was unhinged.”

 

“Well, we can piss on his grave when we get back to Karnashari,” Tarek said. “Team building activity, ‘twill be. Now, the dungeon. Let’s weigh it out, shall we? Con?”

 

“It might kill us?” Faris offered.

 

“Always a worry,” Tarek mused. “Pro?”

 

“It might only kill Tarek,” Amara piped up.

 

“Oh, that’s an awful one, even for you. A real pro, Amara,” Tarek said.

 

Amara grinned, unapologetic.

 

"Fine. We might find treasures beyond our wildest dreams."

 

“Ah, true!” Tarek said. “

 

Faris raised an eyebrow. 

 

"We could be disturbing ancient, sacred tombs.”

 

"You mean, ‘business as usual’ for us?" Amara retorted, "Remember the one we encountered in Sa Akal that turned those Striders into carnivorous dumplings? We faced them and we're still here, aren't we? Pro?"

 

"We might become the most legendary Rahhalah that ever existed for discovering this thing," Tarek chimed in, his excitement growing.

 

“Or die, with no one to ever discover our corpses because we didn’t follow protocol,” Faris said.

 

Tarek grinned, suddenly inspired. 

 

"Ah, but think about it. A dungeon in the sky? Imagine the stories we'll be able to tell when we get back. The hesesh will sing of our adventures for generations!"

 

Amara chuckled. 

 

"You do have a point. And we wouldn't want to disappoint the hesesh now, would we?"

 

Tarek winked.

 

"Exactly, my dear. Who are we to deny them a good story?"

 

Faris sighed in mock disdain. 

 

"Very well. But we proceed with caution. Agreed?"

 

Tarek threw an arm around Faris and Amara's shoulders. 

 

"Now, that's the spirit! What could possibly go wrong? Other than the obvious, of course."

 

Amara rolled her eyes, knowing that Tarek's question was likely a precursor to an answer she'd rather not know. But she couldn't deny the thrill of anticipation that coursed through her at the thought of venturing into the place.

 

They allowed some time for Azar to heal enough that she could settle into a nap and then, with steel in their hearts, the three Rahhalah stepped across the threshold and into the darkness.

 

9