The Great Ahamkara Hunt(3)
21 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

---------------------------------------

Void's heart was pounding as the jumpship shuttled through the horizon.

He recalled Levi's panicked voice and the instant the call disconnected, "That bastard, if this is a prank I am not letting it go."

Did Tevis really find his secret stash? Impossible, even bandit couldn't find it, and that weasel could practically smell loot.

Anxiety bult up in his chest as Void began fidgeting his leg. The jumpship neared Skywatch, Void swiftly maneuvered the ship close to the entry bay as he tagged the auto landing and transmatted out.

He briskly made his way towards the base as he saw Bandit and Cory atop the spires for sentry duty.

They had grave expressions etched on their face as they glanced towards Void and gestured him to hurry up.

Void's courage instantly diminished. The urgency of the whole matter wasn't funny at all. Aside from the sentry's the base seemed, quiet, too quiet.

He put his head down and hightailed it towards the central bay, but with a swift glance towards the council room, Void finally understood why the base seemed, empty.

The hall leading towards the council room was lined with all the Nighstalkers in the base, standing at attention, perfectly distanced, with hands behind their back

Void hesitated as he reached the beginning of the hall. The moment his footsteps inched closer, everyone shot him a glare.

Void stammered, unable to say a word. He felt that if he even tried to explain himself, they would pounce on him and beat him to death.

'How could I know that some scraps would get everyone disciplined, f*ck. I need a new stash location' Void mumbled, lost in his thoughts, trying to make sense of the deep shit he was in.

"Stop f*cking mumbling and get in there before I shoot you in the face." A grunting whisper came from Levi who was sweating bullets, standing closest to the door.

Seeing the desperation in his face, Void didn't bother to argue. Void hardened himself to face the music and began walking towards the door.

His footsteps stop directly before the entrance as he shot one glance at Levi, perhaps pleading for an explanation. But Levi only swayed his head, a look in his eyes that said they were all somehow screwed.

Void sighed, having tried his last resort, he prepared himself and grabbed the door handle.

With a resolute motion, he swung open the door and entered, slamming it behind him, boldly standing at attention as he immediately began reciting from the bottom of his heart.

"Captain, whatever it is, trust me, I was only following Levi's lead." Void closed his eyes in anticipation.

But seeing as no one was breathing down his neck by that point, he hesitated and opened one eye.

Void instantly sucked in a cold gasp as he saw the entirety of the Vanguard, and the Squad captains staring him down.

His words had already earned him multiple questioning glances.

Seeing this sight had almost knocked the wind out of Void, he simply stood there with his mouth wide open, unable to comprehend his next course of action.

Void stood there stiff as a rock, until Tevis scuttled towards him, immediately putting his head in an arm lock.

"I called you, ten times. Don't you know it's not allowed to turn off your comms channels while you're out for a mission." Tevis spoke through clenched teeth, as the rest watched the captain scold Void.

Void gasping for breaths, barely managed to wedge his hand in the arm lock as he spoke with a choked voice, "B-But, you're the one who taught us to turn it off so the city doesn't bother us with patrols while we're out."

Tevis's face went pale as he saw Ikorra raise a brow, he immediately clenched his arms tighter, forcing Void to struggle to stay awake,

Tevis showed a hardened smile as he laughed, "Me? Taught you what? Please, don't try to shirk your misdemeanor to others."

Tevis chuckled nervously, as he shot Void a glare that basically said he was screwed.

"Please, captain, let's hear him out." The speaker intervened, as Tevis immediately let go and Void tumbled to the floor.

Caressing his neck as he spoke softly, "Thank you, speaker."

"No problem. Now let's hear why you've turned off your comms channels. You do realize that the city insists hunters keep it on, in case of emergency." The speaker spoke with a curious glint in his eye.

"Yes, I do. However, I was carrying out a few bounties in Devils Lair, and they had a jamming circuit with a tracking network. So for safety I turned off my comms." Void replied, "Obsidian, show them."

Obsidian revealed himself to the room as he project a huge schematic of the Devils Lair satellite network to the consensus.

"We found the jamming circuit, but it had a hidden function of tracking the network and comms channel of the city. So for the security of our own comms channels and frequencies, we thought it best to turn off the comms channel till we disabled the jamming array." Obsidian immediately began his explanation.

"Wait a minute. You said Disabled?" Cayde interrupted.

Void cleared his throat, " Yes, disabled. We knew the city would need the jammers disabled so after eliminating all hostiles, Obsidian and I carried out the destruction of the jamming network. As it stands, we might just have a week of surveillance on Devils Lair." He said, while stumbling to his feet.

"Sooo, what you're saying is, not only did you carry out your bounties, you went ahead and did the city a favor? Good job kiddo." Cayde shot him a finger gun as he smiled.

Naturally, Void appreciated Cayde saving him from getting grilled in front of the entire consensus so he flashed a smile back.

Zavala was impressed with Void's sense of duty, "To think you did the city a favor. I apologize for the disturbance. The Vanguard urgently required your presence, but it seems we were too impatient. Thank you, Void."

Ikorra followed up with a resolute tap on the shoulder as she walked next to Zavala," Good job guardian."

Seeing as the Vanguard was pleased, Tevis breathed a sigh of relief.

A boisterous laugh rang out in the room, "Like I said, Void's a professional. He is bold, and talented. Let's not dilly dally, the man has done a lot for us." Shaxx dissolved all tension in the room.

"Indeed, my instincts tell me he's a capable helper. Though, every blade requires a whetstone." Saladin chimed in.

The presence of the Iron Lord shocked Void as he didn't even notice the man's presence in the room.

He simply bowed his head as thanks, 'Kindness truly derives kindness.' Void immediately said his prayers, if he hadn't disabled the jamming array, perhaps he would really be in deep shit.

"But, can I know why I was called here? " Void asked, pleased that he wasn't in any trouble.

"Of course. The Vanguard is planning an operation, your squad will be participating, but an external fireteam requested you to separately join their ranks. The guardians at question are very experienced, they can teach you a thing or two. They've also volunteered to ensure your safety." The titan vanguard explained calmly.

However, despite his calm smile, Void was internally in confusion, "Me personally? I am sorry commander, but I don't understand why they would request me. I am still not up to par to pair up with experienced fireteams." Void immediately dissuaded Zavala.

" Your confusion is understandable Void, however, it's not you that they require, but a Nightstalker. They invited your squad captain, but he refused. However, seeing as you have not fully integrated with their squad, we were hoping you could entertain this request. The benefits they offer you are quite tempting if I say so myself." Zavala continued

Void noticed that neither of the other two Vanguards spoke up. Meaning that no matter what he said, Zavala was determined to make him accept the proposition.

'I guess life is hard...' He sighed internally.

"Commander, may I ask who the fireteam is?" Void inquired, naturally he knew most of the notable guardians from the game, hence, he could easily determine if they could really ensure his safety.

"It's nice to see you interested, the fireteam requesting your presence are Kabr and Pahanin. A fireteam with the legendary warlock Praedyth, who you will be filling in for."

Void immediately tensed up, 'Kabr and Pahanin, is the vault of glass truly so near?' His mind raced, if it was truly related to the Vault of glass, Void was simply a lamb to the slaughter.

"Commander, I appreciate your recommendation, however, what is the mission?" Void asked varily.

Zavala nodded to Ikorra as the warlock pulled up holograms of Venus and other information.

"The mission, is simple. The city aims to hunt down the ahamkara, to wipe them off the face of this universe. For that, we have gathered all our forces, take a look."

Void felt his jaw drop as he glanced at the hologram, 'From the Vault of glass, to the Ahamkara Hunt'

Void sucked in a cold breath, 'Life truly is hard'

------------------------

3