Chapter 3
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am sitting in my room in front of the tactical board, and it's late at night. I've been thinking about how I can improve Aston Villa's performance in the upcoming matches.

I realized that defensive weaknesses have been a constant problem for the team, and we need to solve it if we want to have a good result against teams like Manchester United, our next opponent in round 30 of the Premier League in 2002-2003.

I look at the tactical board and start drawing some lines, trying to visualize a new formation that can reinforce our defense and still maintain a good balance between defense and attack. I have an idea: why not switch to a 5-3-2, with a line of five players in defense and three in midfield? This would allow us to have a more solid defense, with players closer to each other and covering the spaces. Additionally, the three midfield players could play both in defense and attack, helping to balance the team.

I feel a surge of excitement as I visualize the new formation in my mind. I know it's a risk to change the established formation by former coach Graham Taylor, but I believe it's necessary to improve our performance and get the win against Manchester United.

Furthermore, I think about how we can approach the game itself. We need to be more tactically disciplined and patient when attacking. We'll need to maintain possession and look for the counterattack when the opportunity arises. And above all, we need to play with confidence and determination, and the support of playing at Villa Park can help.

I feel the adrenaline running through my veins as I finalize the details of the formation and playing style. It's a big responsibility, but I'm confident that we can surprise Manchester United and secure the much-needed win for the team's confidence. I'll share this idea with the players tomorrow morning and see what they think.

...

I have just arrived at the Bodymoor Heath training center, as the head coach of the club, and I'm feeling a bit sleepy after a bad night's sleep. However, I know that I need to be ready to face the challenge of training a top-tier football team.

As soon as I enter the building, I greet the doorman, Mr. Smith, who smiles and wishes me good luck for the training. I head towards the gym where the players are stretching. They are all very focused on their activities, and I feel the energy in the air.

After observing the team for a few minutes, I decide that it's time to present my new tactics. I gather everyone in the meeting room and start explaining my plan. All eyes are on me, and I feel the tension increasing as I speak.

"From now on, we will play with a 5-3-2 formation," I say. "This will allow us to have a more solid defense, with players closer to each other and covering spaces. In addition, the three midfielders will be able to play both defense and offense, helping to balance the team."

I see the players' expressions changing, and I realize that they are beginning to understand the importance of this new tactic. I approach each of them, lift their morale, encouraging them to believe in themselves and our goal.

"We know that our next game is against Manchester United, and we all know what that means," I continue. "But I want you to know that I am confident in our ability to get a good result. If we stay disciplined and work together, we can overcome any challenge that comes our way."

I feel a wave of positive energy running through the room, and I know that I am on the right track. The players are ready to face the challenge ahead, and I am confident that together we can achieve great results.

We were in the middle of an intensive training session when I noticed that Gareth Barry, the midfielder, was having some problems with his defensive positioning. I decided that it was time to give him some tips to improve his tackling techniques, positioning, and game reading.

I approached him and said, "Gareth, I think you can improve your defensive ability. Let's work on this together?"

He readily agreed, with a smile on his face: "Sure, coach. What should I do?"

We started training together, focusing on improving his tackling technique and defensive positioning. I gave him some tips on how to position himself better in relation to the opponent, how to predict their movements, and how to block their passes. With discipline, Gareth began to improve these aspects of his game, and soon we could notice the difference on the field.

I also talked to other players on the team, giving them tips and guidance on how to improve their skills on the field. I talked to Olof Mellberg about how to improve his heading game, to Dion Dublin about how to position himself better in the opponent's area, and to Thomas Hitzlsperger about how to improve his passing skills.

It was gratifying to see how willing they were to listen and put my suggestions into practice. With hard work and dedication, I am sure that we can achieve great results together.

...

I left the training center exhausted after my first day of work as the new coach of Aston Villa. I was excited to finally be able to sit on the coach's bench for a Premier League team, but I knew there was still a lot of work to do.

When I arrived at the parking lot, I found the club's president, Doug Ellis, standing next to my car. I was surprised to see him there and approached him to greet him.

"Congratulations on your first day of work, young man," Doug said with a smile. "I have some important news for you. We're calling a press conference to officially introduce you as our new coach. It will be a great opportunity for you to meet the press and get familiar with the club."

I was surprised and excited to hear this. I didn't expect to be officially introduced so soon. I thanked Doug and asked what I should do next.

"Get in my car and let's go straight to Villa Park. The press conference starts in an hour, and you need to be there to be introduced to the journalists," he said.

Without hesitation, I got into the president's car, and we headed for the stadium. During the trip, I wondered what I would say to the journalists and how I would introduce myself as the new coach.

I was excited but also a little nervous.

When we arrived at Villa Park, we went straight to the press room, where the journalists were already gathered, waiting for my introduction. I took a deep breath, mentally prepared myself, and entered the room, ready to begin my new challenge as Aston Villa's coach.

I walked toward the table in the press room, where a sign with the Aston Villa logo and my name was placed in front of my seat. As I sat down, I looked at the crowd of journalists, with their cameras, recorders, and notebooks in hand, all waiting to ask questions. I knew this press conference would be one of the first of many that I would have to face as the club's coach.

"Good afternoon, everyone. I would like to thank Aston Villa's president, Doug Ellis, for giving me this opportunity to lead this great club. I'm looking forward to working with the team and bringing success to the club."

The journalists began to ask their questions, and I tried to answer them clearly and concisely.

"What is your vision for the team this season?" asked a Birmingham Mail reporter.

"My vision is to take Aston Villa to the middle of the table this season. We have a good squad of players, and I'm confident that we can achieve our goals."

Another journalist asked about my playing philosophy.

"My playing philosophy is focused on winning, but without making the team boring for the fans. I seek an aggressive style of play, yet intelligent and disciplined."

A reporter asked about the pressure of taking over a club like Aston Villa.

"I understand that there is a lot of pressure in being the coach of a club like Aston Villa, but I'm prepared for it. I've worked hard to get to this point in my career, and I'm determined to succeed here."

The questions continued for a few more minutes, covering topics such as transfers, preparation for the next game, and the relationship with the players. I tried to answer all the questions with confidence.

At the end of the press conference, I felt relieved to have passed my first big test as Aston Villa's coach.

I knew the journey would be long and difficult, but I was ready to face all the challenges that lay ahead.

0