Chapter 5
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the final whistle of the second half, I accompanied my players to the locker room. I waited for them to settle in and hydrate before calling everyone's attention. "I'm proud of you. You played very well in the first half, imposing our style of play with intensity and quick counterattacks. However, in the second half, we need to be more effective. Is that clear to everyone?"

As one, the players responded in unison, "Yes, boss!"

After speaking with the players, I left the locker room and went to my assistant coach to discuss our options. We decided to keep the current formation, but change the tactical approach slightly.

"I want Olof Mellberg to focus his marking on Van Nistelrooy. I don't want him to have space to maneuver."

"Understood, boss," my assistant replied.

"I also want Gareth Barry to keep his focus on Giggs. He's dangerous on plays on the left side, and we need to limit his opportunities."

"Of course, I'll speak to him immediately," he replied.

While reviewing the game in my mind, I noticed something I hadn't seen in the tension of the game: flaws in their approach to the 4-4-2 when we pressed. I shared this information with my assistant and asked the players to apply high pressure at the beginning of the second half.

"I want to press United at the start of the second half. They have difficulty playing out when they're being pressed, and we can capitalize on that."

"Understood, boss. I'll talk to the players about it," my assistant said.

Afterwards, I left experienced assistant coach John Wardle to enter the locker room and communicate with the players.

...

The players return to the field, and I begin giving final instructions before the start of the second half. I approach Mellberg and Barry and remind them of the importance of maintaining their marks.

"Mellberg, you know what to do. Van Nistelrooy can't have space. And Barry, keep an eye on Giggs and don't give him any chances."

"Absolutely, boss," they reply in unison.

After that, they take their positions on the field, and I sit on the coach's bench to watch the rest of the match.

The ball rolls to Manchester United, from there Van Nistelrooy rolls the ball to David Beckham who makes a pass to Ryan Giggs on the left side, the pass is accurate and managed to open a gap in the defense that Gareth Barry tries to cover quickly.

He managed to cover the gap in the defense, but Giggs still has the opportunity to make a high pass towards Nistelrooy. However, Mellberg, the Swedish defender, intercepts the cross and plays the ball away.

Still early in the second half, I noticed that Marcus Allback was starting to tire. He was running less and making some simple passes wrong. I knew I needed to make a decision to maintain the pace of the game and keep the team in control.

I turned to my assistant coach and said, "See how Allback is getting tired. We need to substitute him before he makes a crucial mistake. Send Juan Pablo Ángel to warm up. We'll put him in the game in a few minutes."

My assistant nodded and started calling Ángel to warm up.

Meanwhile, I continued watching the game and giving instructions to the players on the field.

When the time was right, I called Ángel and said, "Juan, it's your turn. Go out there and make a difference. Keep the ball on the field and help us score a goal."

While Ángel positioned himself on the field, I gave final instructions to the other players. I knew that this substitution could be a turning point for the team, and I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.

I saw Allback leaving the field, tired, but still applauding his teammates. I knew he had given his best.

Suddenly, I see Thomas Hitzlsperger intercepting a pass from Roy Keane in midfield. He quickly advances and passes the ball to Juan Pablo Ángel, who starts running towards the Manchester United goal.

My heart starts beating faster as I see Ángel approaching the penalty area with the ball. He dribbles a defender, shoots the ball with force and... IT'S A GOAL! The ball hits the post and goes in, at 68 minutes of the second half!

I jump off the bench, shouting with joy as the Aston Villa players run to embrace Ángel. I look at the coaching staff and see everyone celebrating together, jumping and hugging each other.

I feel a wave of emotion passing through me, thinking about how this goal can change the course of the match. I quickly compose myself and start shouting instructions to the team, asking them to continue playing with the same intensity and focus.

Meanwhile, the Manchester United players, especially Roy Keane and John O'Shea, seem discouraged and disoriented. I know there's still a lot of game ahead, but this goal could be the boost that Aston Villa needed to win the match.

As I turn to the Manchester United bench, I see Sir Alex Ferguson chewing gum with a neutral expression. However, the presence of Juan Sebastián Verón warming up indicates his concern about the match result. I return my attention to the field and instruct my team to be more cautious in their advances and to maintain the advantage until the end.

...

Sir Alex Ferguson looked at the scoreboard and saw that his team was losing 1-0 after conceding a goal at 68 minutes of the second half. He stood up from the bench and gave some instructions to the players who were warming up, indicating that he would make changes to the starting lineup.

Meanwhile, Ferguson looked at the field and analyzed Aston Villa's game. He didn't expect to find such an organized and united team, especially after the recent coaching change. Ferguson had prepared to face a disorganized and unconfident team, but he was surprised by the opponent's posture.

Aston Villa's coach, Christopher Wright, caught Ferguson's attention. He was a middle-aged man with brown hair, light blue eyes, a slim and athletic build, and average height. Ferguson noticed that Wright was motivating his players and that they were well-trained and prepared to face Manchester United.

Even so, Ferguson remained calm, after all, he was an experienced coach and knew how to deal with adverse situations. He decided it was time to make tactical changes and promoted the entry of more offensive players on the field. He also talked to his players, trying to improve the team's morale and motivate them to fight until the end.

Ferguson knew that the game was still open, and his team had the quality to win. He wouldn't give up until the final whistle.

0