Lunatic – Emery Halliwell
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lunatic

Emery Halliwell

 

 

 

The morning text I’d woken up to was one I’d been expecting.


DAD: Morning toots, I just wanted to see how you were doing, haven’t seen you in a couple days think we might be like passing ships in the night. I was going to call but I know you’ll be busy getting ready for school, I finish early tonight so I’ll be home, hope we can talk then.

Love Dad x

 

What he’d gone through was horrific and indescribable, but there was part of me that felt terrible for stepping away for so long, especially after what Clay had said. I just needed space, since the apparent theory Wyatt and I had concocted was actually true – for once I wish our theories were wrong.

                After school today I’d go straight home, since I knew I had to talk to dad about it.

                I also had to tell mum that Clay had started asking questions about my memory. She needed to tell him and dad what happened and why, since she hadn’t been too clear on the reason. Sure, she’d said it was purely for protection but I knew there was something more because there always was. I still didn’t know how I felt about any of this, how was I supposed to feel? I wondered.

                Sky had gone downstairs to make breakfast whilst I got ready for school, with the usual makeup, colour correction and a good hair straighter.

                However, what Sky had failed to mention at all this morning, was the two bodies found last night. Scott and Stiles had called me about an hour ago, both of them frantic, saying they were just there to get drunk because of Allison, but they’d had a fight with the two dead men. I told them not to worry, saying I would look into it on my free period and let them know what I found but Stiles couldn’t wait, so he was picking me up in half an hour. He said everyone was there last night, Clay, Sky and his dad, since these murders had gotten so out of control.

                Two more people were dead because of this alpha, what the hell was this thing? They couldn’t be random, right? There had to be some connection because there was a big enough break between each one. There had to be something linking them, there had to be. Maybe I could get Stiles to make a murder board, like he had for all those cold cases? If we had everything in front of us then maybe a motive would reveal itself. There had to be a pattern, there always was, I just had to find it.

                After finishing getting ready I headed down the stairs, bag in hand (that I’d prepared before going to train with Clay yesterday). Sky was at the stove frying some eggs but he smiled, as the smack of my feet echoed in the kitchen.

                “Morning,” He said, reaching for my hand and pulling me close for a quick peck on the cheek. “You look nice.”

                “So do you,” I smiled.

                “I’m still in pyjama’s.”

                “Yeah but it’s your day off and you don’t need a suit to look good.” I smirked.

                He could be naked, half clothed,  or wearing a bin bag but Sky would somehow find a way to make it hot.

                As I placed my bag on the kitchen, I almost didn’t want to ask the next question. Last night was honestly one of the best I’d ever had. I wasn’t stressed about the alpha, I wasn’t thinking about Scott, Stiles, Derek or my family, all I cared about was Sky, all I wanted to think about was him.

                “So, did you hear about those murders last night?”

                “Yeah,” Sky said, fiddling with the pan. “Clay called me out last night to get my opinion on it.”

                So he admits it? At least he wasn’t playing the idiot with me, I thought.

                “Why didn’t you wake me?”

                “Because it was two dead people and that wouldn’t change by the time I got there,” He said, a bout of honesty in his voice. “Besides, I was back in half an hour.”

                “Why didn’t you tell me?”

                Sky sighed.

                “Because I thought we could have breakfast without discussing murder.”

                He plated the eggs, just as the toast popped up from the toaster, sliding it onto the table, a small side smile on his face.

                “I know the Guardian world is a dark place, but I need to know when these things happen,” I said, trying to think of what an actual Guardian would say.

                Derek had said he’d found a training regime for me and given recent events, I hadn’t been up to date on the Guardian research, so I needed to be as professional as I could. I needed to show Sky I could be Derek’s Guardian, no matter what anyone else said. I needed to show him I could do this.

                “No, you don’t,” Sky said, pointedly. “You need rest.”

                “Well I could of rested after knowing there’d been a murder.” I stated.  

                “Really?” He scoffed. “You wouldn’t of followed me to the crime scene, you would of stayed here.”

                “Yes.”

                “Now I find that hard to believe.”

                “And why’s that?”

                “Because you’re you Em,” Sky said, his hand’s clenching into fists. “You would have been straight out there with me, you would of waited until I left and then called Stilinski—”            

                “You know I’m quite resourceful for someone who you claimed was a civilian, since apparently you think I can’t just leave things alone.”

                “You can’t leave things alone, that’s how you got in this mess in the first place!”

                “Oh, so it’s my fault?”

                “I’m not the one who wandered into the woods in the middle of the night to find a body!” He yelled. “I’m not the one who offered themselves up as bait in the school when you should’ve stayed with the group!”

                “Why are you yelling at me?” I yelled right back, utterly taken aback, he’d never spoken to me like this before. “How did we go from last night to this?”

                What had I done that warranted this? I hadn’t tried to start an argument, sure I was worried it might lead to one but I never expected this.

                Sky groaned, slamming his hands on the counter, with such a bang I jumped.

                “See this, this is why I didn’t want to talk about work.”

                “Why?” I asked. “Because you didn’t want to tell me how you really felt? Didn’t want to yell at me for how irresponsible I was?”

                “You care so very little for your own safety, it’s infuriating!” He exclaimed. “You don’t see the danger, you just run in!”

                “I don’t regret the decisions I made!” I told him. “They were mine.”

                “And one day they’re going to get you killed!” Sky tossed the frying pan in the sink with a clang. “Or you’ll be Hale’s Guardian and you’ll do what you always do, pretend to be a Guardian and do as your told when he asks you to conceive—”

                “He’s not going to ask me to do that!” I screamed, completely astounded he’d brought it up.

                If I were honest with myself I was horrified he even mentioned it, insinuated Derek was anything like his mother in that regard.

                “You haven’t even told him what his mum did!” Sky yelled.

                “He doesn’t need to know!”

                “Yes he does, because I know men like him, once he becomes an alpha—”

                “You know this is called speculation.” I cut him off bluntly. “You’re assuming something about a man you barely know!”

                “You barely know him, you grew up with the Hale’s, that’s what you told me but you know nothing about the true nature and capability of the supernatural!”

                “Oh what? Because I’m just some stupid civilian?”

                “Yes!”

                I froze, my breath catching in the back of my throat.

                Where had this come from? What had I done to deserve that? Did Sky really think that’s all I was? Did he think I was a dumb civilian with an ego too big for her own head?

                The man from last night seemed a complete fantasy compared to the one in front of me, his voice was brutal and eyes cold. Throughout it all, being his Charge, taking me for ice cream, stitching me up after school, teaching me Lumeric and the small throwaway glances in school – had it meant nothing?

                Did it not mean anything when he kissed me? When he made love to me so tenderly and kissed me with all the passion of a sun. Was I just a means to an end? Was I really just his Charge? Another one in a long line?

                “What are you saying, Sky?” I asked, not wanting to jump ship just yet, a small slither of hope clinging to my heart.

                He looked like he was grinding his teeth together, his hands balling into fists.

                “We shouldn’t of done any of this,” He said, and my heart sank. “It was a miscalculation on my part, you’re too naïve to understand what you’re involved in, you’re that reckless one day you’re going to end up getting yourself or someone else killed. Any developments in the future come straight to me, you’re to act on none of them, do you understand.”

                A job, that’s what I’d feared I was before, just someone Sky could use for intel. Now it was clear, that’s all I was. Last night was wonderful but I guess even the fondest memories could be corrupted.

                I was a mistake, that’s what he’d said, we were a mistake.

                I knew he was too good to be true, I fucking knew it.

                The small clinging slither of hope I’d held close fell flat in my chest, as I held back the tears.

                “Fuck you.” I whispered, grabbing my bag and bolting for the door.

                It was only when it slammed behind me I felt the unfortunate yet familiar sting in my eyes. After everything last night, all I was, was stupid. I’d told him everything last night, everything I knew was wrong with me and in reality, he was probably laughing at me. Clayton had said it, I broke to the first guy I slept with and here I’d done it again. I was so fucking stupid.

 

~*~

 

The ride to school was less than enthralling, given I’d explained everything to Stiles after he’d once again, found me crying on the side of the road. I had proclaimed if I ever found him in a similar situation I’d pick him up, I just have to pass my driving test first.

                I’d told him everything about what I’d found about my birth, what Talia was really like and how he couldn’t tell Derek. I’d also told him about how wonderful last night was but now, it felt like a dream. A fever dream that anyone could ever see me in that light, and be okay with it.

                We’d gotten two hot chocolates on the way to school, and parked our butts at the back of the library, since I knew Sky wasn’t here.

                “So Laura and Wyatt were best friends?”

                “Yup, they weren’t dating or anything but he was the reason she came back to Beacon Hills.”

                “Did she ever say why she was leaving the motel?”

                “She didn’t, by the time Wyatt got back she was gone and presumably dead.”

                “Do you think it all connects to her?” Stiles asked.

                “It could, the rest of the murders appear to be unrelated though.”

                “Yeah they always appear to be unrelated until a pattern emerges.” Stiles mused over the thought.

                No one ever came to the library first thing in the morning, so it was the perfect hiding place, which is something I wanted many of considering everything going on.

                “What’s your dad saying to it?” I asked. “Does he have anything?”

                “No, from what I’ve heard they’re as lost as we are which isn’t good.” Stiles said. “Apparently he’s wanting to bring in specialists.”

                “What kind of specialists?”

                “I don’t know but I overheard Clay tell him that they don’t need any specialist’s, then the door shut and they just started shouting at each other.”

                “Shouting?” I asked, a little shocked.

                “Whoever my dad is bringing in, Clay doesn’t like them which then leads me to my next theory…” He trailed off.

                “They could be hunters.” We both said in unison.

                “They’re bringing in reinforcements.” I said, my voice a ghost of itself. “Which actually, might be a good thing.”

                “How on Earth is that a good thing?”

                “Because they’re bringing in more people which means they’re probably as clueless as we are.”

                “Or they have a plan but just need more people to execute it.”

                “Or there’s that – fuck.” I said through gritted teeth. “We need to figure out who this alpha is before they do or at least give the Guardian’s an edge, if the hunters know a full family of Guardian’s are here we’re going to end up in the middle of the turf war.”

                “They know Clay’s here.”

                “Yeah but that’s different, he’s the Red Guard and there’s only one of him.” I said. “If they find out my parents are here the hunters will presume it’s because of the murders and before you know it, trials and courts get brought into it, while the alpha runs around on his killing spree.”

                “Scott says he still can’t put a human face to it, he’s only seen it when it’s all wolfed out.” Stiles told me. “He’s also never smelled his scent before and according to Derek he could smell different when he’s human.”

                I blew out a breath, already exhausted.

                “Laura was the first murder and she was an alpha so that has to have some significance…do you think Scott could pick up her scent?”

                “It’s been a while, there might not be one.”

                “If I could get something of Laura’s, maybe Scott could track her movements from the motel.”

                “It’s a long shot but I’m all for it.” Stiles said with a smirk. “When do you want to do it?”

                “I’ll see if I can sneak samples from the hospital after school, I’ll call you.” I said, grabbing for my bag as the first bell of the day rang through the school speakers. “See you later, Euston.” I smirked.

                “See you later.” Stiles laughed, waiting behind.

~*~

The first few periods of the day passed quite quickly despite me looking at the clock every five minutes. After AP English, I had another study period so I begrudgingly headed back to the library, putting in my earphones and bringing up the paper I’d been working on for class, since it was due soon. I’d gotten an extension given what happened at school, which allowed me to catch up with what I’d missed.

                I had a look at the syllabus and seen there was another essay due, so on my time off I wrote that one as well. My time off wasn’t to rest or process what happened, it was to catch up with the two essays and homework from my other classes I’d missed. I couldn’t fall behind, to the school I was seventeen and I wasn’t about to let my grades slip.

                As I blasted the Sherlock soundtrack and clacked away at my laptop, there was this burning pressure on my shoulder, exactly where the alpha had marked. I knew he couldn’t call me out, that wasn’t how it worked but still, was this similar? It was sharp yet ghost like, like the pain I had with Derek when he’d gotten shot. I let my fingers rub at the skin but as I did the ache from my back set like wild fire across my back – the boxing lessons with Clay were really leaving their mark.

                I still couldn’t believe he’d shouted at Sheriff Stilinski, he must know whoever he’s bringing in is a hunter.

                This was crazy, seriously I think I lived in crazy town, I thought.

                Only twenty minutes had passed when I felt a tickle in my throat, I reached into my bag for my dilutant juice but I found it wasn’t there. Shit, I’d left it in my locker. I packed up my stuff since there was no way in hell I was leaving it in here, darting down the corridors to my locker. However, the sight ahead made me stop short, my locker combination lock was broken, the door slightly ajar.

                What the fuck? Someone had broken into my locker!

                I approached it slowly, terrified somehow the alpha had been here without anyone seeing. Reaching out with a careful hand, I flung it open, the metal door clanging against the others. Nothing jumped out but I didn’t take it as a sign it was safe – I’ve watched way too many horror movies to fall for that.

                I edged over, peering inside my locker that hadn’t been touched, but there was something sitting at the front, which didn’t belong to me. A blood red pendant caged in silver but what set my teeth on edge, was the prominent smears of blood on the woven metal. I frantically looked around but there was no one there, everyone was in class. The school didn’t have camera’s did it? I snapped a picture of it with my phone and sent it to Wyatt, in case this was somehow evidence gone walkabout.

                I wasn’t being framed for a murder, right?

                I reached for my small blue toiletry bag from the back of the locker, pulled out two tissues, carefully wrapping the necklace in it. This thing could have a fingerprint on it! I grabbed a bobble to tie it together like a little package, before putting it in my bag. Okay, okay, okay – don’t freak out.

                There’s probably a rational explanation, yeah that’s it, there’ll be a perfectly rational explanation as to why someone broke into my locker, and left blood covered jewellery in it – Oh cut the crap Emery, this is how people died in horror movies, I thought.

                PING.

                SHIT!

                I grabbed for my locker, my other hand raising to punch whatever it was –what was – oh it was my phone. A laugh rumbled through my chest as I reached for it, well, that was fun, I’d definitely die in a horror movie.

 

EUSTON: I’ve just seen the specialist from the FBI that my dad has brought in, he’s in a grey
suit, looks kinda shifty.

               

No way, the reinforcements were already here?

 

How many are there?

EUSTON: Just one

That’s good, it’s not an army probably an investigator of their own, they’re in the dark as much as we are. I’ve got something to show you, where are you?

 

Just as I sent the text back, another ping rang out from my bag, this time from my actual mobile. God, I’d forgotten I was carrying two of these things half the time.

 

WYATT: How the fuck did you get this? 
That was Laura’s necklace, she was wearing it the night she died.

I stared at the pocket of my bag in sheer horror – no fuckin way.

                Was I being set up? If this was Laura’s necklace then it was Laura’s blood, so how the hell did it get into my locker?

                I texted him back.


My locker was broken into, it was just sitting there. I wrapped it in tissues and I’ll bring it to you, if this was on her when she died, then we might have a print from who did it. I’m on my free period, so I’ll get a taxi over.

WYATT: Wait, I’m at the hospital, won’t be back to the station for another couple hours, I’m doing another round through the woods around lunchtime, I can grab it off you then.

Okay, I’ll see you then.

Then, I sent perhaps the most stupid message ever to Stiles.

 

My locker was broken into and someone left Laura Hale’s necklace covered in her blood inside, wanna go for a walk in the woods during lunch?

EUSTON: I’ll grab Scott and meet you at the lacrosse field.  

 

~*~

 

“Wait he had a panic attack?” I asked.

                “Yes but by making him think that he was having an asthma attack, and then giving him his inhaler, it stopped it.” Stiles beamed proudly.

                “Huh, neat.”

                “Still here guys,” Scott said and I stopped, looking back at him, his feet stumbling through the broken twigs and leaves of the Preserve.

                “Sorry,” I said. “But you’re having panic attacks over Allison, she’s just a girl Scott there’ll be others.”

                “I’m going to get her back.” He told me adamantly. “She’s just in shock or something, hell knows I am.”

                “Allison isn’t worth it Scott, she’s not worth all this.”

                “You don’t know her.”

                “I spend nearly every day with her, trust me I know enough.” I retorted.

                “You just don’t like her because her dad’s a hunter.”

                “No Scott, I don’t like her because instead of thanking you for saving her life she made herself the victim, and contorted a story where it was your fault.” I stated, coming to a stop in front of him. “She says she can’t trust you, that it’s your fault when it was you saved them, I’m sorry but I don’t trust girls like that.”

                “Okay,” Stiles chimed in, budging his way in between us. “Remember we’re here looking for the scent of blood, we can hash out the ye olde school drama when we get back.”

                I rolled my eyes, pulling out the pendant from my bag and unwrapping it to show the boys.

                “Woah,” Stiles said. “That looks ancient.”

                “It might be a family heirloom.” I guessed.

                Although, I’d never seen Laura wear it or anyone for that matter (not that I’d remember if she did anyway).

                “Wait no, no I’ve read about these,” Stiles said, lighting up.

                “You have?” Scott asked, sceptically.

                He had?

                “Well in tradition and we are talking Catholic level of traditions here, some alpha’s wore jewellery to symbolise this status,” He said.

                “So you think Laura had this because she was an alpha?” I asked, completely baffled Stiles knew that. “But then why was it taken from her body and delivered to me?”

                “Well you said you were marked by the alpha right?” Stiles asked. “Maybe you have to present him with it or wear it, I don’t know.”

                All we had were theories but at least it was something to go off of.

                Suddenly, Stiles’ phone let out a ring and he grumbled under his breath.

                “Hey dad…yeah I know where she is,” He said, eyeing me worriedly. “Yeah she’s sitting a few tables over from us in the cafeteria.”

                Shit, did my parents know I’d ditched school? I mean technically I hadn’t yet, it was still lunch time.

                Stiles whipped out his phone, putting it on speaker.

                “Wait dad, say that again.”

                “Just tell Emery her brother’s phone’s been stolen, he’s heading back to find it.”

                “When did he loose it?”

                “This morning, it would have been just after I saw you at school.”

                “Before school started?”

                “Yes Stiles, before school started.” The Sheriff grumbled annoyed.

                “Right, I’ll tell her, see you later.”

                Wait but if Wyatt lost his phone before school started, then how the fuck did he send me those texts? If he didn’t send them, who did? More importantly though, had we just walked into the middle of a trap?

                Even after Stiles hung up the phone I reached for mine, re-reading over the texts – there was nothing out of the ordinary.

                “Have we…” Stiles trailed off. “Ya know?”

                “I think we have,” I said, backing away slowly, still clutching the necklace and pressing Derek’s number.

                “What?” Scott asked. “What’s wrong?”

                “I texted my brother earlier about the necklace and he told me to meet him in the woods.”

                “…Why am I getting the feeling he didn’t send that message?”

                “Because I don’t think he did,” I said, my voice barely a whisper.

                My phone rang for what seemed like forever but Derek never picked up, so I tried the one person who knew how to deal with alphas.

                “Kiddo, this isn’t a good time,” Clay said.

                “We’ve walked into a trap.”

                “What?”

                “Someone put Laura’s necklace in my locker and Wyatt told me to meet him in the woods so we could get a print off of it, but uh…I’ve just found out Wyatt’s phone’s been stolen, whoever I was talking to wasn’t him.”

                “Shit – get to the Hale house, Derek can—”

                I didn’t hear the rest of what Clay said, as low primal growl that haunted my dreams rumbled across the floor, It’s claws scraping at the bark, ripping it from the trees. The three of us looked at each other before slowly turning around to see the beast of the alpha, crouching on all fours, its eyes blood red.

                “It might be a little late for that.” I whimpered, getting ready to run. “The alpha’s here, I’m looking at it.”

                “Okay stay focused, don’t panic,” Clay said. “Now this is important, are you alone or are you with others.”

                “I’m with Scott and Stiles.”

                “Okay good, now this is important and I’m sorry but you’re going to need to split up.”

                “What?” I asked. “No—”

                “That thing can only run after one of you, you need to split up.”

                Stiles turned to me, he was close enough to hear what Clay was saying and going by Scott’s widened eyes, he had too

                “I can distract it,” Scott said, quietly. “It wants me in its pack, it won’t kill me.”

                “No, no way.” I stated. “That’s my job, I’m its pack too.”

                “Uh guys, we might want to hurry this little escape plan here,” Stiles said worriedly, as the alpha reared back on its hind legs and let out a roar, loud enough it shook the ground.

                “I’m on my way, stay on the phone – run Emery, just run.” Clay told me.

                Before I knew it, Scott lunged at the alpha, shifting right in front of us – I was almost watching in awe before Stiles grabbed my shoulders, shoving me in the opposite direction.

                “Run!” He yelled.

                I took off as fast as I could sprinting through the forest, not daring to look back, I grabbed onto trees to fling me forward, my throat dry and scratchy as I heaved in more air. The sound of roars were getting fainter and fainter but I didn’t let up, I kept running. I only stopped to put the pendant back in my bag, if this did have a print and it got broken, there was no way of tying it to the killer.

                I couldn’t hear Scott or Stiles and part of me thought it was a good thing but the other part, the smarter part knew as the silence settled that one of two things could be happening; the alpha could be chasing after Stiles or the alpha was hunting me.

                I lifted the phone to my ear.

                “Clay?”

                “I’m here kiddo, I’m tracking your phone, keep going, run all the way into town if you have to.”

                “But that’s like two miles, I can’t run that far.”

                “I know but you have to try, you can’t outrun it but if you get close enough to town it might back off.”

                “Oh, well let’s hope he’s feeling too insecure to get close to people then.” I muttered.

                I could already feel a stitch forming in my stomach – I wasn’t made for running, my ankles felt as solid as concrete as running, they felt immovable. It felt impossible.

                “Just keep moving.” Clay said.

                “What about Stiles and Scott?”

                “Sky has the GPS on his phone, he’s tracking them, they’re following the plan as far as we can tell, they’re still moving.”

                Moving is good, moving means they’re still alive…or being dragged by their feet across the forest floor.

                Wait, how did they get Scott’s GPS? Not the time Em!

                I kept going even though the snag in my hip bit hard with every chance it got. I pushed against the trees, my nails scraping at the bark to throw me just that little bit further. Even though my breath was catching in my throat the idea of running any further only made my heels dig deeper into the dirt, I knew if I stopped the alpha could catch up. I had no idea which one of us he was chasing and I wasn’t all that keen to look back and see.

                It was only when the burning sensation tore through my arm I stopped, gripping it for dear life. The pain was corrosive, burning away at my skin like acid. It was only when I saw the blood seep through the shoulders of my dress, I realised it the large slashes had reopened. Had I done that? How could I have missed that? Could the alpha have done it?

                ROAR.

                A trembling growl ripped through the forest as a clawed jagged hand grabbed at me ankle, yanking me to the ground. The leaves stuck to my skin as it dragged me back against the forest floor, I couldn’t breathe. I could barely hear Clayton’s yells from my phone that had been flung against a tree.

                Then suddenly it stopped, the clawed hand leaving my ankle but I didn’t dare turn round, if anything it was rearing it’s claws, ready to strike.

                ‘Please.’ I begged, but no sound left my lips.

                That’s when I heard it, the rustling, was it going through my bag? The alpha scrounged around it for a moment, and it was only when I got the courage to turn round, I saw it rifling through my bag, finally coming to a stop as Laura’s necklace hung in its hands.

                I couldn’t help it, the alpha moved too fast – he catapulted the necklace against a tree, breaking the gem and I screamed. I threw my arms around my head, trying my best to protect myself as any ounce of training from Clay went out the window. I’d been taught how to fight humans, not an alpha – a punch wouldn’t do jack shit against it.

                My eyes were screwed shut but I let them break, just for a second, to seeing the grey looming figure towering over me. It wanted me in its pack, it wouldn’t kill me, right?

                BANG.

                BANG.

                BANG.

                A scream shrilled through my lips again, as shots rang out above my head, what got me though – was I felt the alpha jolt. Had the bullets hit him? The stink and warmth of his breath leaving my skin as I heard him dart off but as I sat up, I nearly threw myself back down to the floor as two jeeps rocketed past me at high speed. What the hell? I didn’t even get time to look at the registration plate or the carved symbol on the sides of them, as they sped on ahead.

                “Are you alright?” The concerned voice of Sky asked, and I nearly threw a punch at his face, still high from the adrenaline pumping through my veins. “Emery?”

                He took my shoulders but then one of his hands lifted to caress my jaw.

                “Emery, are you hurt?”

                “Don’t touch me.” I spat pushing him away, scrambling to my feet as fast as I could. “Where are Scott and Stiles? You’re meant to be with them.”

                “Emery?” He asked, confused. “I heard you scream I—”

                “What?” I asked. “Decided you had to come save the stupid civilian?”

                My anger from this morning boiled my skin, every word he said coming back to me clear as day. How could have said to me after everything we talked about?

                “Are you alright?” He repeated, trying to reach for my hand but I pulled back. “Emery, you’re bleeding.”

                “I am perfectly fine.” I stated. “Who the fuck were those guys in the jeeps?”

                “Reinforcements, Clay brought in his own and when you called – they’re going to try and capture it.”

                “Right…” I trailed off, my breath coming back to me as I tried to wrap my head around what just happened.

                “Emery, I’m sorry,” Sky said, his voice but a whisper. “I am but you’re my Charge, we need to keep this—”

                “Don’t – you don’t get to kiss me and then go cold, you don’t get to lead me on like that.”

                “That’s not what I was doing.” He tried, but I wasn’t having any of it.

                “Well you were!” I yelled. “All this time I thought you cared, I thought you cared about me which honestly I didn’t fucking believe, since guys like you never go for people like me but I understand now, it was a power move, you use me for intel and then you make up for it by playing nice, that’s it.”

                “No, no that’s not true.”

                “Oh it’s not?” I nearly screamed. “Cause it’s pretty fucking obvious to me!”

                As the words passed my lips I realised what I’d said, even if I hadn’t accepted it yet in my head. I was just his Charge, his way of getting information. I knew Guardian’s and the world we operated in was cold, but evidently, I hadn’t realised it was made of ice.  

                “I’ve got McCall and Stilinski in the clear, everyone okay here?” Clay’s voice called, as he ran from the treeline, a hand on his holster as he jogged to a stop.

                “Fine,” I said. “Mr Langdon plugged three bullets into him and then the jeeps chased him away…”

                It was only then my eyes landed on the now broken necklace scattered on the forest floor, little pellets of red gems glinting in the sunlight. Why did it want the necklace? Wasn’t the alpha the one who put it in my locker in the first place?

                “But it came after you,” Clay said. “I thought it was going after the Stilinski boy.”

                “It wasn’t after me,” I said, kneeling down and picking up what I could of the necklace, making sure to use the tissue I’d originally wrapped it in. “It was after the necklace, it didn’t touch me.”

                “You’re telling me an alpha was after some jewellery?” Sky asked.

                “It went through my bag and then broke it as soon as he saw it, there must be something on it maybe a fingerprint.” I offered, shrugging.

                I was trying to let my anger simmer by not looking at Sky, in doing so I focused on the broken gems, but there were tens of pieces, all clicking and clanking together against the metal.

                “Do you think you could get a print off of this?” I asked Clay, who blew out a breath.

                “It’s a long shot, the thing is in pieces,” He said, taking it from my hands.

                “The alpha was after this so there must be something on it.” I said. “Because whoever the alpha is got Wyatt’s phone and knew to come here, so it must have been someone different who put it in my locker.”

                “Someone’s helping you.” Clay said. “Do you know who?”

                “Nope.” I shook my head. “If the alpha wanted that thing destroyed then there must be a print of his on that could identify him.”

                “I’ll see if the lab guys can put it back together, see if we can get a partial print at least,” Clay said, tying the cloth in a small knot and putting it in his own rucksack.

                I nodded, satisfied with the answer, turning back to the torn through path where the jeeps once were.

                “Why didn’t you tell me reinforcements arrived today?” I asked. “Just because the hunters are doesn’t mean we need to.”

                “Those reinforcements saved your life.” Sky told me, an authority in his voice but if anything, it sounded like pure ego.

                In all honestly, Sky could of apologised right there and then, handed me a bunch of flowers and said sorry again, but I still would of yelled at him.

                “Aw, did they now?” I asked. “And is that what I need someone to come save me?”

                “Actually, yes!” He exclaimed.

                “You are such an idiot, it wasn’t after me it was after the necklace!” I shouted right back. “That thing wasn’t going to do anything, I am marked to join it’s pack it wasn’t going to kill me!”

                “If I hadn’t stepped in, it might have!”

                “Oh right yeah, here’s the white knight to save the day!”

                “Okay, let’s take a breather,” Clay said, putting his hands on either of us, pushing us back from one another, seeming unsure why we were yelling.

                I didn’t want to tell Clay anything but I wasn’t just going to walk away, I was done being the bigger person.

                “You’re unbelievable.” Sky muttered.

                “Me!”

                “Yes you, you’re a kid who doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing and walks into traps without thinking.”

                I laughed.

                “Well you slept with me so you must have seen some potential, or were you just that lonely and desperate to rub out a hard one?”

                “Woah, woah okay,” Clay said firmly, wincing a little.

                “You really think I have that little self-control?” Sky asked, smirking cockily. “Over you?”

                Arsehole, I thought, you fucking asshole.

                “Well as the famous quote states God gave men a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time, so yeah, yeah I do.”

                “Oh, so I’m a caveman.”

                “Amongst many other things.”

                “Okay, let’s take five, alright?” Clay said, gently pushing my shoulder. “Because I can’t take much more of this.”

                I hadn’t realised I’d been toe to toe with the git, yes he was significantly taller than me but that didn’t mean I wouldn’t lump him one. Fucking watch me.

                “Yeah, let’s do that.” I muttered, marching back through the trees.

                “Emerson!” Clay yelled but I didn’t turn back, I just wanted to get away from Sky.

                I didn’t want to hit him but if he said one more thing about needing to save me, I wouldn’t take responsibilities for my actions.

                “See, she is hurt she’s bloody limping.” I heard Sky mutter, and I physically felt myself snap.

                “That’s my cerebral palsy you asshole!” I yelled, flipping back to him. “Which yeah effects my ability to walk, but who’s survived an alpha twice? Who’s told you to look for a partial print on that necklace? Who figured out it was Laura’s necklace? Who’s been the one getting you all the information? Oh yeah, that’s me – stop underestimating me at every turn!”

                “Em!” I heard Stiles shout and I sighed, trying to calm down. “Emery, where are you?”

                “Emery!” Scott yelled.

                “I’m going to figure out who this alpha is, you’re welcome to try and stop me,” I said finally to Sky, before grabbing onto a tree and pushing myself forward.

                It only took me a few seconds to find Scott and Stiles wandering about, they were terrified but also really confused why the supposed ‘Men in Black’ had shown up. I explained after hearing the hunters had brought in reinforcements, Clay had done the same.

                “This is going to end well, is it?” Stiles asked.

                “Unless we magically get a print off a shattered necklace, then yes, it looks like way,” I said, crossing my arms.

                “But I still don’t get it, if the alpha didn’t put the necklace in your locker, then who did?”

                “I don’t know,” I said, honestly. “Because Laura’s body didn’t have anything on it, not even clothes so where did the necklace come from?”

                “Was it your brother, maybe?” Stiles asked. “Or your mom?”

                “No, we’re not exactly playing happy families right now.” I grumbled. 

                “How come?” Scott asked.

                “Long story.” Stiles jumped in, before I could. “Anyway, we should get out of here, let the Deputy and that librarian guy figure it out.”

                “His names Sky Langdon,” I said, the name already sending my blood fizzing. “He’s an arsehole but enough about him, let’s get back to school before next period, Miss Hicks will be ragin if I miss her class.”

0