Chapter 10: The taste of fear
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night of Sunday to Monday, 3 A.M
In the higher area of the city, where the rich people lived, crime was always a non-factor. It was something they batted no eye towards, after all, they felt like they were immune to it. Expensive villa's adorned the streets, all in various sizes and colors, alongside expensive cars as far as the eye could see. Most people from the lower area never set foot in here, it was effectively a gated community, totally lost to the rest of the big city.
This place has ties to the underworld, it's parasitic roots had even spread towards here, as multiple people fought for total control of the expensive area. Those same rich people wanted to see some of that money too, funding the underworld dwellers for their own selfish gain, which in turn made crime in the lower areas continuously go up. In a sense, it was a total free-for-all for who could take control first. A free-for-all that had been going on ever since the first god, nicknamed "Grandfather" reared it's ugly head.

Inside a large shed behind one of those villa's, two glasses of champagne were filled to the brim. Multiple pieces of art from famous artists around the world were hung up on the wall, boldly showing off the owner's wealth. On a ludicrously expensive couch sat two men. The only lightsource in this room was from a tiny lightbulb hanging on the ceiling. A man wearing a monocle gracefully gave his companion the other glass, with a small 'tink', the night could finally begin for them.

The other man on the couch was none other Kane Qur. Someone once described him as a man that could even strike a successful deal with the devil. This gigantic villa wasn't his, instead being owned by the slightly grey haired companion next to him. Kane's signature smile could seemingly light up this small room on it's own.
"Being formal tonight, are we?"
“Even if this is the storage room, everything for my guest.”
With a chuckle, Kane took a sip from his champagne.
“Another one fell, Rolento.”
“Seems like they aren’t being merciful these days, ey.”
“It’s a dog eat dog world. But those higher up are more like a cerberus.”
“You say that as if i’m a newbie. I’ve been in this business longer than you.”
“I know, and yet…”
Kane’s eyes jolted towards his companion. Locking on, its target began to feel pressure.

“Tell me, my dear friend. Where have you been the past week?”
“Is that hostility I sense? I was just doing the usual.”
“Is that why some of my men spotted you in my area? Is that why a few of my men dissapeared? I know you run a cleanup service, so cough it up, who hired you?”
“Aren’t those some baseless accusations, especially coming from you. You know i’m higher up than you in this hierachy, I don’t fear you.”
This made Kane scoff, shaking his glass of champagne a little bit.
“Fear, hm? You say you don’t fear me? Shall we test that statement?”
A very subtle, purple glow began emaniting from Kane’s back.
“In the past week, your territory has slowly decreased, your position in the hierachy has been challenged, and you know that.”
“How do you-“
“However, you feebly try to still maintain that position, a throne you claimed ages ago, back when life was simpler, back when the good old grandfather was still alive to keep it all in check. You have no ambition to rise higher, yet, you also don’t want to lose what you have now.”
Rolento tightened the grip on his glass in anger.
“You’ve grown complacent. I used to look up to you, y’know. But perhaps its time that a ‘younger’ generation overthrew the oldies. Perhaps.. someone could even conquer that old throne?” There was a flicker of something purple behind Kane.
“…!” Rolento nearly broke his glass, as a smug smile appeared on Kane’s face.
“You’ve realised it, huh. I can taste it, y’know. Call it a sixth sense. Your fear, that is. It’s pretty easy to figure out when you get the hang of it."
“You fucking rookie. Who do you think you are? You’re the one trying to usurp me, huh? Wasn’t I one of the nicer people to you back when the grandfather still lived? Now you're retaliating like this.”
“I used to have respect for you.. but.” Kane threw a bunch of pictures on the table. They had Rolento with an unknown assailant, cleaning up various bodies and trading in weapons.
“You and your cleaners have gone corrupt too, I see. I know that you killed some of my men.”
“Where did you get those pictures?” Rolento’s heart began to beat faster.
“I have my ways.”
Kane held his hand against his chin.
“Hey, I have a suggestion. Maybe you should reti-“
Before he could finish his sentence, a glass fell to the ground and within not even the blink of an eye, Rolento had his right hand solely around Kane’s neck.
“I need to stay in this business, even if it means stooping to dealing with guns, I can’t quit now. If I do.. I die.”
Kane didn't show hesitation, nor emotion at the situation that was unfolding.
“Ah.. My good friend, are you still haunted by Shi?”
“Don’t mention his name! He was like a brother to me. But he went too far and got caught.”
“And now you’re a lapdog too.”
Rolento punched Kane very hard in the face in response. Kane’s head shot to the left as the punch connected, yet, without a single drop of blood or visible damage, he just kept talking, leaving Rolento very confused.

“This has gotten convoluted, I only came here for a simple reason.” The aura surrounding Kane began enveloping his upper body as he slowly, but surely, removed his colleague’s hand from his throat.

“Get off my territory. You’re not welcome, stay in your own lane, or face the consequences.”

Sweat rolled down Rolento’s forehead, why didn’t his punch seem to affect Kane. He put everything behind it. His right hand wouldn’t stop trembling.

Kane stood up and walked out of the storage, but not before turning around to his panicking monocled adversary.

“Pleasure doing business with you.”
The door slammed shut.

0