Chapter 61 – Memories of Her Adopted Son
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was an unpleasant dream. In it, I remembered the first group of people I ever considered family.

"I wonder why you fancy using a katana so much?"

My sister asked as she watched me perform some practice swings. I say sister, but we weren't related by blood. Our nation was at war at the time, so I didn't know who my parents were or whether I had any real siblings, but she found me and took care of me ever since.

"I dunno. It just feels right, you know?"

I tried to explain, but she sighed, shook her head, and said,

"I see you're as terrible at explaining things as ever."

"Nee-sama, take that back!"

We were a closely-knit clan of warriors who banded together under her wing. It was a truly dangerous time when anybody could get robbed, killed, or defiled on a whim, so she protected us and trained us to protect ourselves. 

My sister was a peerless warrior who could send packs of samurai running with their tails between their legs, and she was incredibly kind, but I could tell she was hiding something. Sometimes, she would mysteriously withdraw from the group for a while and show up later, looking somewhat tired. 

"Don't you think it's a bit strange?"

I asked, but the other women didn't want to probe into it and even suggested I not bring it up. I felt like they knew what it was, as I was the youngest, but that just made everything feel even more unfair. Why should they get to know and not me? I wondered, and eventually, I acted on that blossoming curiosity and followed behind her quietly on a certain day. The path led to a small cabin in the woods, where my sister stopped and looked to see if anyone was following her. Of course, I hid myself well, so she assumed no one was following her and went inside. 

What could it possibly be? I asked myself. Why doesn't she want anybody to find out? These and other similar questions swirled around in my mind as I took hesitant steps toward the cabin. My mind was running wild as I imagined all kinds of wacky scenarios, but nothing would prepare me for what I saw next.

"Tsuruno?!"

She yelped in a surprised voice as I caught her breastfeeding a suckling baby on a chair. Ah, it makes sense now, I thought. As I stumbled to find an excuse, her face softened, and she beckoned me over. I still felt like I was in big trouble, so I quickly ran over and sat seiza-style in front of her, expecting some punishment. When she extended her hand, I flinched in anticipation, only to be shocked when I felt her warm hands rubbing my head affectionately.

"Ah, I'm really getting too old for this,"

She said with a hint of regret in her voice.

"You caught me, Tsuruno."

Then, she turned her gaze to the suckling baby and said,

"He is my son."

"What's his name?"

I managed to ask.

"Ishimoto Monzaemon. My husband died before he was born, so I've been raising him on my own..."

And for some reason, she started opening up to me. From that day onwards, we became much closer than ever before. Sure, the other girls noticed it, and some even expressed their jealousy at the fact, but it didn't bother me. I thought we would continue living together happily, but I was naive. 

That day, I woke up to the sounds of metal and the smell of sulfur. It was an enemy raid, and many warriors had already been killed. My sister was fending off the attackers all by herself, but she looked to be struggling this time, as there were far too many of them. I grabbed my katana and rushed out of the room like my life depended on it, wanting to save her with everything that was in me, but when she saw me approaching, she turned to me and screamed,

"Don't come closer! These enemies are far beyond the likes of anything you've ever faced!"

"B-but, Nee-sama!"

I knew what would happen to her. I knew she didn't have much time left, so I wanted to fight with her to the bitter end, but she smiled and said in a soft voice,

"Tsuruno, you are a kind soul. I know you will put an end to this war."

"Nee-sama!"

She skillfully warded off the incoming attacks with her naginata and said,

"Hurry! Grab Ishimoto and get out of here! I'll handle this!"

I bit my lower lip and clenched my fists so hard that my hands bled. I cursed myself for my weakness and ran to the cabin in the woods, where I found him sleeping with an angelic look on his face.

My dear sister entrusted him to me, so I must raise him to become the finest man the world will ever see! I thought this as I ran out with tears in my eyes, but the world was never that kind.

"What do we have here?"

A group of enemy samurai approached with dangerous looks in their eyes. I could tell at a glance that they wouldn't spare me or the child, and I honestly didn't know what to feel at that moment. I wanted to howl to wind in frustration, bawl my eyes out on the spot, and tear my enemies to pieces, all at the same time, so I froze.

I came back to my senses when I heard the distinct sound of a katana leaving its sheath. I had to do something quick, so I unsheathed my katana and swung it down hastily. I thought it would distract them long enough for me to run in the other direction, but something I never thought would occur in my wildest dreams happened. A space-time rift appeared where I had swung my katana. I instinctively knew what to do, so I hopped in and found myself on an unfamiliar planet all of a sudden with a sleeping baby in my arms.

I already knew something about my strange abilities. I could recall times when I sliced through my opponent's weapon while training, and though they wrote it off as their weapon suddenly breaking, I knew it was more than that. I knew I was special, but I didn't know I could do that, so I stood there stunned for a few moments.

I snapped back to reality once Ishimoto started crying, and that was when I started making a name for myself on that planet. I did everything I could to provide for him. I could slay the most ravenous beast to feed him if he were hungry or dive to the deepest depths to fetch him some water when he was thirsty. I went about winning tournaments for money, and by some strange twist of fate, I started finding myself in positions of authority. When I learned about Irregulars and the Meritocracy, it all started making more sense to me. When the opportunity presented itself, I participated in the Universal Irregular Tournament and came in fifth place! I cemented my name as one of the Administrators and got to rule over a galaxy of my own, but I never lost sight of my reason to live.

Of course, I made some terrible mistakes as well. When he hit puberty, I became so terrified of the prospect of other women stealing him away from me that I did something unforgivable. I took his virginity, and I sexually assaulted him repeatedly to keep him under my thumb, making him a slave to pleasure in the process. I stopped when I realized the damage I had been doing to him, but a part of me still wanted him all to myself, as evidenced by my strained relationship with Rosa, his wife, and my numerous attempts to seduce him afterward. I really am a terrible mother... But, just when he started gaining the respect of his peers— Why did he have to—

"Ishimoto!"

I woke up with a start. Where am I? Is this... an escape pod? As soon as the reality hit, it was like a dam broke inside of me, and I started sobbing uncontrollably. Marcus was here with me, and he approached me with a consoling look on his face, but I could sense sinister intent coming from him, so I bisected him with a twitch of my finger and buried my face in my knees, thinking,

You were trying to tell me he was the traitor, weren't you?

She asked but got no response. She would probably never get to hear his voice again, and as this realization dawned on her, she hugged her knees even tighter and said,

"I'm such a fool..."

0