Chapter 162: Drinks
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remus and Grímr try to turn me down, saying I should have Kalma’s energy for myself, but I won’t have it. Bunny and Jav agree readily, but these two remain resistant, so I grab them with hands formed by physical flame and hold them to the ground while I begin the ritual. Of course, they could break out any time they want, but they admit defeat and allow me to share.

The group of albanics try to join in, but I hold them off with the threat of fire hot enough to melt skin should they come too close. I’ll share with my friends, but not those I don’t know.

Bunny simply grins at them, silently boasting as the similarly dressed men and women stare with apprehension at my flames and envy at the powerful corpse they’ll miss out on.

“This will take a while, won’t it Solvy?” she asks, and I nod in return. “So I think you guys should head on home,” she says to the group.

An albanic steps forward. “But Tetsu, we-”

“I’ve reunited with my team, so there should be no need to remain together, right?” she says. “And it looks like the pact won’t need you, after all.”

The man at the front sighs in defeat. “Understood. I’ll be sure to let your uncle know you sent us away as soon as you could,” he says before leading the group that continues to throw longing gazes toward the inheritance ritual.

Bunny’s smile becomes strained, but she stands firm.

“So, that was quite the battle back there,” Remus says, no longer being pinned by my flames. “What happened to Hund?”

“He was in a hurry to return to the ursu. It’s a shame; I would have liked to introduce you all.”

“Hund is near Kalma’s strength, right?” Jav says. “Shouldn’t we be worried about New Vetus’ invasion if he’s supporting them?”

“I don’t think so.” I incline my head, thinking about what the massive ursu might do when he reaches his kind. “Tore will make them retreat.” Though whether they give up the land they’ve already acquired is another thing.

“Don’t even worry about it Jav, I’m sure we’ll know about it soon enough if a problem arises,” Remus says. “Besides, we have a little hero to celebrate.”

Bunny hums in agreement. “I want to hear everything.”

❖❖❖

Hours later, we’ve still barely made a dent in Kalma’s body, and yet the growth of my capacity has been immense. So much so that I can only imagine the benefit to my teammates’ enhancement.

We spend most of the time sharing stories and relaxing. Relishing in relief and victory. The air over our group becomes rather sombre when deaths are mentioned, but those moments are short-lived. Mostly by an intentional effort to keep the mood positive and joyous by those older than I.

Bunny tells of her battles against the Theocracy. Obviously embellished stories that have the rest of the team watching her with doubtful expressions. I still like them, though. The halberd she carries was apparently once her father’s. A weapon created by riparian craftsmen.

“That’s right!” Bunny turns on Remus. “You knew a riparian all this time and never told me? I’ve been trying to get my hands on their weapons for years now, and you know it.”

“Solon only owed me one favour,” Remus says. “I was only going to request his aid in an emergency.” The dohrni turns to me. “On that, what happened to that treasure of his?”

I freeze, not wanting to admit I completely forgot about the orb until now. “Uh, either destroyed, or a couple hundred thousand metres underground.” I try my best to look innocent, but I’m not sure if I succeed considering the look he’s giving me.

“A couple hundred thousand?” he repeats slowly.

“Yeah… it was a pretty long fall.”

“What about the sky?” Grímr interjects. “Do you know what caused that?”

I look up to where it should remain in the sky, but sunset has long since passed, so the sky has returned to consistency. Whether the rotten night will return in the morning, I don’t know.

I know Grímr was there to see Kalma whacked into the air, so he must mean more specifically. “I don’t know. Tore didn’t either.”

Turning my head to see if anyone else on my team knows what it is — specifically Remus — but none put forward any explanation.

“Do you think the Mercenary Order will still see me as an enemy?” I ask. Kalma’s influence is revealed now, so I should get off without issue, right?

“That might take some time to get your traitor status removed. It’ll probably be best you stay in hiding for a while until I can clear your name,” Remus says.

“Oh.” I drop my head in disappointment. “I’d been hoping to see my friends now that everything is over.”

It’s been what? A year? More? Since I last saw them. We left them back in Baansguard as I joined team Luis-Eight across the Alps. Long before the war started. Ever since my return, I’ve wanted to meet them again to make sure they’re doing well, but the war kept me from doing so. I guess I’ll have to wait a bit longer to see them.

“Though…” Remus continues. “The Mercenary Order will go through a period of major restructuring for the next few months. The response to this invasion has appalled the state leaders. They will be overlooking the reform after the official declaration of victory.” Remus gives his signature mouthless smirk. “As long as nobody is given a reason to suspect anything out of the ordinary, just about anyone could travel freely in this confusion.”

I jump to my feet, ready to rush off right now. If Remus has said it will be fine, then there should be no issues. I’ll need to keep myself hidden as an albanic like I did when I first met them back in Zadok, but that’s hardly difficult. I can even hide the flames in my bird form now, so flying there shouldn’t be a problem either.

“Wait up, Solvei,” Jav says. “You can’t go yet; the war hasn’t officially ended. Plus, you still need to celebrate with us.” The little volan turns to Remus with a grin. “I know she’s young, but what do you say to getting some alcohol in her?”

Remus smirks in return, clearly agreeing, but Grímr is of a different opinion.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. What about the water content?”

“We’ve seen her burn through skin and blood,” Bunny says. “Just get her strong spirits and she will be fine.”

❖❖❖

It took a while, but my team soon places a small glass with a clear liquid on the wooden counter before me. I stare at the liquid hesitantly. It looks far too much like water for me to be comfortable. The rest of my team watch on with expectant eyes, waiting for me to try it.

We sit in an empty bar deep within the formerly mermineae controlled land. There is plenty of damage to the front door, and all the food has been ransacked by the mermineae, but most of the bottles along the wall were left intact.

After Remus met with some people in the nearest lived-in city and sent many letters, we flew out over the now uninhabited land for some privacy while we celebrate. The mermineae have gone. Run back to the mountains after losing their strongest fighting force.

As much as Kalma abused them, it was her power they relied on against the greatest of threats. I think it would be good if they are given their space. Hopefully, the pact nations won’t chase them down to slaughter all that remain.

“Go on, just a little taste,” Jav encourages. “If it stings or you don’t like it, you don’t need to have any more.” He takes his own glass, shows it to me, then downs the liquid in an instant.

Hesitantly, I lift the glass and take a sip. It doesn’t sting at all. In fact, it burns with a rather pleasant heat in my mouth. My eyes drop to the rest of the liquid sitting in the tiny cup, now on fire. I’d been a bit too ready to vaporise it had it been similar to water.

I extinguish the flame and drink. It’s not nearly as intense as that oil the centzon gave me, but it still gives a similar hot feeling as it slides down my throat. It flows more smoothly than the oil too, giving a strange experience of tasting the texture of a liquid without it hurting.

“Hey, this is actually pretty good,” I say. “Are you sure there’s water in this? I can’t feel it at all.”

“There is, but it’s a tiny amount. Usually, one wouldn’t drink such pure alcohol straight, but you are an exception. Any juice, sweeteners or other compliments would only increase the percentage of water and take from the taste,” Remus says. “Some dehydrated snacks could go well with the drink, but I don’t have any on me.”

I take the offered bottle and pour myself another glass. Grímr watches on from the side, crouched low to avoid scraping the roof, casting concerned glances my way. Bunny instead eyes me with anticipation, as if she’s waiting for something. Remus simply smiles as his eyes follow my teammates.

They each have a drink of their own, looted from behind the bar counter. None share the same type that me and Jav are drinking. Now that I think about it, Jav hasn’t had another after his first. I look down to my side and sure enough, his glass is still empty. So, of course, I fill it.

Jav stares at his drink. Then he tilts his head to me. His eyes waver, as if flickering in a hundred directions at once, undecided where they want to focus. Does he not want the drink? But it’s so good?

Jav whimpers, grabs the glass, and swallows its contents in one gulp. He goes to slam the small cup back on the wooden counter, but misses. Nearly faster than I can observe, his tiny hands grab for the falling glass, only to fumble and miss a dozen times before he finally gets a hold of it with both hands.

Remus bursts out laughing and Bunny grins, though I’m not exactly sure why. Is dropping his glass that funny?

“Do you want more, Jav?” I ask, offering the bottle. He drank it so quick, he must love it.

Instead, he shakes his head with vigour. Well, if I’m the only one to drink it, then there’s no point in pouring into my glass every time. I drink straight from the bottle. I don’t incinerate it all immediately, so the burning liquid pools in my chest with a comfortable warmth. The unique flavour is like nothing else.

Bunny’s gaze morphs into a mixture of confusion and growing worry as I down the entire bottle. Grímr looks like he just saw someone eaten alive. Both rise to their feet immediately, Grímr crashing the back of his head through the roof.

I simply watch them in confusion as Remus lets out another burst of laughter, chuckling as he relieves their concerns. “Sit down. Don’t worry. Alcohol doesn’t affect the áed the same way it does us. She can’t get intoxicated.” Remus turns to Jav. “She’s not the one we should be worried about.”

Almost as soon as he says it, I hear a thump beside me. On the floor, to my side, Jav has collapsed.

“He really should have known better.” Remus shakes his head.

I drop to Jav’s side and shake him. What’s happened? He’s still breathing, but he’s passed out.

“Don’t worry, Solvy,” Bunny says as her hand lands on my back. “He just drank too much.”

“Volans aren’t good with alcohol. Jav will be fine because of his enhancement, but he should never have drunk such intense shots straight.” Remus chuckles. “But he wanted to assure you it was safe to drink, and who are we to stop him?”

“He was already done after the first,” Grímr grumbles, glaring at the hole in the roof. “Why’d he take the second?”

“Losing to a first timer would be shameful.” Bunny nods in understanding. “I was getting worried after her third glass, but I guess it doesn’t really matter when the first timer can’t even get tipsy.”

I’m not really sure I understand the pitying gaze Bunny sends my way, but I’m glad I’m not affected the same way if it means I’d be on the ground beside Jav.

Remus wraps the volan in a tentacle before depositing him on top of his head. Jav seemingly finds the spot comfortable and curls up in his sleep.

As weird as the effects are on my teammate, the taste is too good to pass up. My bottle is empty, so I pull another off the shelf with a quick application of physical flame.

I spend the night celebrating with my team, drinking from glass and looking forward to what is to come.

 

1