Chapter 9: The Visit
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: This is the end of the first Arc. This Arc is called The Beginning. 

Janus stepped outside the doors of the HMDD Base. Not surprised, as he did, he was once again stared and glared at him.

He simply ignores them and continues on his way out of the building. Once he was outside, he took a look around the city in the evening.

The sky was black but the stars glittered across it, giving it a little bit of light. Down on Earth, streetlamps were lit as the streets were still as busy as they were in the morning.

Never a dull moment in London. Not even at night…especially at night.

Janus once again looks up at the sky, this time inspecting it for something. He then looked over at the moon. It was in its Waning Crescent phase, taking the shape of a sickle-blade.

“No full moon…good.” Janus sighs with relief, knowing he isn’t going to work overtime.

When a full moon is present, so are werewolves. Werewolves, also called Lycans, were supernatural creatures that took the shape of a humanoid wolf. During the day, they are ordinary people walking the Earth, but when a full moon is present, they turn into monstrous two-legged humanoid wolf men that eat people.

Like vampires, werewolves are one of the most dangerous monsters to fight. However, while vampires usually appear at night, werewolves only appear during full moons, which means they aren’t much of a threat until then.

Of course, when they do appear, they are just as difficult to deal with as the vampires. But, since there’s no full moon, things were good for now.

Knowing that he doesn’t have to deal with werewolves, he walked the streets of London, heading somewhere. He started to head East of the base.

While the city of London gives off a rather busy and peaceful atmosphere in the morning, its appearance at night was a little grimmer. While there were people walking about under the bright street lamps, their expressions showed stress and concern, like they were worried about getting attacked.

This much was a normal thing since during nighttime…monsters of all kinds came out around this time. During the night, the HMDD is at its busiest hour.

Reports of vampire activities among other monster attacks. This is when a lot of activity is happening.

Even now, Janus noticed a couple of groups of HMDD members patrolling the city streets, making sure to find the first hint of a monster attack. Of course, due to his circumstances, the HMDD members that passed by him gave him the stink eye.

As usual, Janus’s reputation with the HMDD community is pretty terrible. Then again…it’s not so surprising considering what he did that got him suspended for a month.

Not only that, but he’s about to visit said thing he did that got him suspended. After a little more walking, Janus soon came across what appeared to be…an asylum.

It was located on the outskirts of The City of London. Surrounded by a grassy field and plenty of trees, a massive mansion-like complex could be seen. It had prime yellow painted walls and a darkish green roof.

It was several stories tall with a metal gate surrounding the building. Near the gate, several guards were there, likely patrolling the area to keep an eye out for anyone suspicious. And also to let people in.

As Janus approached the guards, they stopped him in his tracks.

“Identifications, please,” One of the guards asked.

Janus then went into his jacket pocket and then pulled out his HMDD badge.

“My name is Janus Van Helsing, a Lieutenant of the HMDD.”

Noticing his badge and hearing his name, the guard and his partner that helped keep watch stood at attention.

“S-sorry for bothering you, sir!” The guards said while saluting him.

Janus sighed in annoyance. “Whatever. Just open the door and let me in, please.”

“Understood!” The guards then started to open up the gates, allowing Janus to enter.

As Janus entered, he looked over at the Mental Asylum.

This was Sacred Groves Asylum. A mental hospital for the mentally ill and insane. It was founded by a Doctor named Morrow Crane, a well-known psychologist in the late 1800s that helped treat hundred of mentally disturbed individuals.

This was also the place where a friend of Janus is currently staying at…not that they had much of a choice in the matter.

Walking up to the big brown double doors, Janus opened them and entered the building. As he did, he was greeted with a rather pleasant yet disturbing sight. A bleach-white main room with a counter table at the end of the room.

Janus walked over to the counter where a single woman was working there. She was a receptionist, and currently was filling out some paperwork when she noticed Janus’s presence.

“Ah, Mr. Janus,” The receptionist said, looking at him with a warm smile. “Have you come to do your regular visit?”

“Why else would I be here, Juliet?” Janus said with a smile.

Janus was a regular visitor here, obviously because someone he knew was staying here.

“Should I guide you like usual, or do you know the way?” Juliet asked.

“No need, I got it.”

Janus then turns right and heads over to a door. Opening it up and going inside, he was met with a long hallway with doors all over both sides of the walls.

As he walked through the hallway, he could hear the distant whispers and groans of the people inside the rooms.

“T-the voices…they won’t go away!”

“I didn’t do it…I didn’t do it…I didn’t do it!”

“Liars…deceivers…frauds…all of them…”

“The spider crawled up the wall…then fell…and fell…and fell then…SPLAT! Hahahaha!”

Janus did his best to ignore them as he continued through the hall. He then made it to the door on the opposite end.

Opening the door, he was then met with a rather big room. It was dim with barely any light except for in the middle of the room.

It was a clear white light inside what appeared to be a glass cell. It was rather big, about the size of an average bedroom in a house. Inside was a bed, a nightstand, and even a desk.

There was also a person inside. A woman.

She had shoulder-length blackish brown hair, and wore a white shirt with matching white pants along with white slippers. She even wore glasses that she adjusted every so often because they kept slipping down her nose.

She was currently at the desk, looking at a book. She was reading it with a dignified and angelic expression. She soon noticed Janus and closed the book, closing her eyes as she did.

“Is it already time for your visit, Janus?”

“Pretty much,” Janus said, looking a little melancholy. “So, how have you been…Jekyll?”

The woman known as Jekyll then opened her eyes as she looked at Janus, a warm smile on her face. “I’ve been better, I guess.”

Dr. Harriet Jekyll. A very smart woman with both a degree in Medicine and Law. That is until…her little rampage one month ago.

She’s a very close friend of Janus. They met at Helsing Academy and have been really close to each other since then. And…she’s also the reason why Janus got suspended one month ago,

Putting the book down, she moved her chair closer to the glass window of her cell. Janus found a chair nearby and sat down in front of her.

“So,” Harriet spoke up. “You went back to work today, right?”

“Yeah…” Janus said hesitantly. “It was bound to happen.”

There was a long pause after that. Neither of them said a word. That is until Harriet broke the silence.

“S-so, what happened today? Did you get…” Before she could finish her sentence, she hesitated momentarily, knowing what she was about to say.

“Demoted?” Janus finished her sentence in her stead. “Thankfully, no. But…there’s another issue.”

“W-what is it…?” Harriet asked, looking nervous.

“Instead of demoting me…they decided to have a supervisor watch over me.”

“A supervisor?”

“Yeah. Her name is Anastasia Carnell. She’s part of the Carnell Family…and apparently adopted like me…”

“Adopted…” Harriett pondered for a moment. “Do you think your father had anything to do with it?”

“Well, he was the one that assigned Ana to be my supervisor, so yeah.”

Considering how close these two are, Harriet is well aware of Janus’s backstory. How he’s the adopted child of the Helsing Family and also his strained relationship with them.

Because of that, Janus feels at ease talking about such subjects with her, since they’ve done it before.

“Still, isn’t having a supervisor a bit much?” Harriet contemplated. “Considering your rapid regeneration ability, wouldn’t having a normal HMDD member watch over you just slow you down?”

“I think that’s the idea,” Janus groaned. “Although Ana’s a lot more skilled and talented than most HMDD members, she’s still not at my level. And I think slowing me down is their entire goal.”

“…To keep you from going off on your own like…last time?”

As Harriet asked this, Janus looks away, clearly not wanting to answer that.

“Even if slowing me down is their plan, I doubt it’ll work. If there’s a situation where I need to intervene, I’m going to do it. The hell with the consequences.”

“Janus…” Harriet looked at Janus with a guilty expression.

Noticing it, Janus spoke sternly to her. “Don’t start. I already told you before, I don’t regret what I did. If I was faced with the same situation, I would do the same thing I did last time.”

“But still…!”

“I don’t regret saving you, Harriet. You weren’t responsible for those murders. Those crimes fall to…her.”

Mentioning that person, Harriet grew more anxious and guilty. She wrapped her hands around her body, shaking in fear.

“Has…she been causing any issues?” Janus hesitated before asking about that person.

“N-no, she’s been quiet. Though, that’s mainly due to the serum I’ve been taking to keep her from resurfacing. Still…I worry when Edna comes back.”

Harriet continues to shake in fear due to the looming presence of Edna, her other half. Harriet suffers from what doctors have called Dissociative identity disorder, also known as D.I.D.

D.I.D. is a mental disorder where an individual has more than one personality or self in one body. Aside from Harriet Jekyll, there’s her alter self who is called Edna Hyde. She was considered Harriet’s opposite.

While Dr. Jekyll was a smart, kind, and reserved person, Mrs. Hyde was the exact opposite. She was wild, brute-like, and deranged.

With D.I.D., the two personalities switch where one takes control of the body while the other is deep within their consciousness. When Harriet wasn’t in control, Edna was, and Vice-Versa.

Right now, Harriet is in control, and thanks to taking some medicine, she’s able to stay in control and keep Edna from taking command. However, even when Harriet has control, she fears that Edna would come out…and cause all kinds of chaos.

Like how she committed multiple homicides one month ago. The so-called Terror of Hyde. During that time, Edna took control of the body and started killing people without warning.

She…even killed a couple of HMDD members, causing a lot of hate to spur in the HMDD community. The reason why she was capable of achieving that Harriet’s case of D.I.D is a bit of a special case.

When Edna takes control, a physiological phenomenon occurs. Her body undergoes a metamorphosis of sorts, allowing her to grow stronger, faster, and even sturdier. She basically becomes a super-human of sorts.

However, instead of using that power to help people, she murders them instead. That was how Edna was.

But, that wasn’t how Harriet was. Harriet was a smart woman with a bright future…but thanks to Hyde, she would’ve been sentenced to death, if it weren’t for Janus.

While everyone else wanted Hyde dead, Janus wanted to save Harriet. But in order to do that, she had to save Hyde as well.

And due to how close Janus was on this case, he was originally supposed to stay out of it…but he disregarded those orders and went after Hyde on his own.

When he found and arrested Hyde, he caused a massive commotion. He was basically defending a serial killer who killed his fellow brothers in the HMDD. Because of that, the majority of the HMDD community despised Janus.

But he didn’t care. All that mattered to him was Harriet. And because of that incident, he was suspended and is now stuck with a supervisor.

“For now…things should be fine,” Janus stated. “Thanks to the serum, Hyde’s being kept in control, which means we don’t have to worry about her. Besides, even with her super-strength, I helped custom-make these glass panels to withstand her power. She’s not breaking out, that’s for sure.”

“I…I know, but…”

It was obvious that Harriet was still frightened of what could happen if Edna took control. Hell, after Harriet was back in control after the Terror of Hyde, she…

Janus shook his head, trying not to remember those dark times.

“Aside from Hyde…I’m more worried about Anastasia,” He stressed.

“Why her?” Harriet asked.

“I don’t know, but I feel like having her around…is going to cause some unneeded drama.”

“Drama? You mean…with your family?”

Janus hesitated for a moment before responding. “Yeah, for some reason, I keep thinking about my siblings and how Ana might get them involved with me. She…she might seek one of them to help her in supervising me.”

Because Janus was a Helsing, in name only or not, Ana was going to have a difficult time keeping up with him. So, what better way to keep an eye on a Helsing than have another Helsing assist her?

Harriet thought about it for a moment. “It’s definitely possible…though aside from Luther and Shirley, there are only three of your siblings that could do that.”

“Yeah, Kora, Kane, and…Rebecca.”

In the Helsing House, aside from Janus, there are five siblings of the Helsing Family. There are the fraternal twins, Kora and Kane Van Helsing. Then there’s the second daughter, Sherley Van Helsing. Then there’s the First Son, Luther Van Helsing, and then the first child and daughter, Rebecca Van Helsing.

Unlike Janus, they were Bonafede Helsings. They were direct descendants of the Helsing Family.

Out of the five, only the twins and Rebecca are the most likely ones that Anastasia would go to and help her keep an eye out on Janus. And his relationship with those three were pretty strained, though that can be said for all the siblings, really.

“Wouldn’t Kora be the better option?” Harriet asked. “You and her have always had a good relationship. Despite what happened with the death of her mother…she still stuck by you.”

Kora Van Helsing. The Fraternal Twin of Kane Van Helsing and the youngest daughter of the Van Helsing family.

Out of all Janus’s relationships with the Helsing siblings, Kora was the most stable. Even with the death of Helena van Helsing, Kora’s and the other siblings' mother, she still stuck with Janus. However…that changed a month ago.

Hearing Kora’s name, Janus looked away, not wanting to say anything. Harriet took notice of this and her eyes widened.

“Janus, you…don’t still blame her for what happened, right?”

“…” Janus said nothing.

“Janus!” She said with a scolding tone. “You and I both know she didn’t have a choice in the matter!”

“She did have a choice!” He snapped. “She could’ve sided with you! She knew you and knew that you weren’t responsible for those murders, and yet she…!”

“She was just doing what she thought was right!”

“By sending you to your death?!” Janus slammed his fist on the arm of the chair, nearly breaking it in the heat of the moment.

During the Terror of Hyde, Janus was trying to convince the HMDD, including his father and siblings that they should arrest Hyde and take her in. However, because of the gravity of the situation and the deaths of their fellow HMDD members, none of them sided with Janus.

Not even Kora…

Just remembering that day angered Janus. He clutched onto the arm of the chair, once again nearly breaking it from his superhuman strength.

“Right now, I have no idea what’s going to happen,” Janus said, trying to change the subject. “If Ana gets one of my siblings involved, things are going to get ugly and fast.”

“Yeah…” Harriet muttered.

The pair sat there in silence. Neither of them said anything. The flickering light inside the glass dome can be heard, the light buzzing noise having a deafening effect.

Then…

“Do…do you think that you guys will ever…make-up? Be a family again?” Harriet asked.

Although the siblings were divided, they were still family. So it was possible that someday, things could go back to normal. They could be a family again.

However…

“…No, never.” Janus declared grimly. “The moment their mother died because of me…everything changed. And they can’t go back to how it was.”

After saying this, Harriet said nothing else, knowing it was useless.

“They’ll still hate me…and hate each other…” Janus muttered.

He still remembers when he was first brought into the Helsing Family. They arrived by carriage and Janus saw the massive mansion before him.

This was going to be his new home. With his new family.

Holding on to his adoptive mother’s hand, Helena and Viktor both guided Janus into the mansion. They entered the foyer of the mansion, and as they did, Janus met his new siblings.

Five children older than him. The younger two being twins; a boy and a girl. One had long black hair in a small ponytail, while the other one had short black hair. And like twins, they looked similar to one another. Their matching gray eyes looked at Janus with curiosity.

Next was a girl slightly older than them. She was a little taller and had long brown hair. Her hazel eyes were hidden behind round glasses that made her look intelligent.

The person next to her was a boy, a little older than the girl with glasses. He was rather muscular, despite looking so young. He even had a couple of scars on his body, showing that he had a very robust life. He had striking brown eyes that gave off a sort of flare like there was a flame inside them.

Lastly was the girl next to the well-built boy. She looked the oldest out of the five and had long black hair with red tinges at the end. Instead of having gray, Hazel, or brown eyes, hers was the most distinct. They were crimson red, almost like blood.

Not only that, but she gave off a very older sister aura. Like she was someone Janus could rely on.

“Come now, Janus,” Helena spoke to Janus softly. “Say hello to your new siblings.”

“H-hello…” Janus said while nervously clutching to his adoptive mother.

After he greeted them, the siblings greeted Janus back.

“Hello, Janus,” The girl with crimson eyes said with a warm smile.

“Looks like we got another Kora, huh” The robust-looking child snickered.

“Luther…” The male twin glared at the scarred child. “Don’t make fun of Kora.”

“Kane, be nice now,” The crimson eye child said.

“Listen to Rebecca, Kane. It is highly advised to listen to her.” The glasses girl said. “Also, nice to meet you, Janus. My name is Shirley. I hope we’ll get along.”

“Likewise,” The scarred kid said. “My name is Luther. Nice to meet you, little brother!”

“It…is nice to meet you,” The male twin said. “My name is Kane. This is my twin, Kora.”

“…Hello,” The other twin named Kora greeted Janus while sticking close to Kane, similarly to Janus.

This was the first meeting between Janus and his new siblings. For a while after that, things were good…but then it all went downhill.

None of them knew that in the distant future…everything they cared for and cherished would be destroyed. And it was all because of Janus, even when he didn’t mean for it to happen in the first place.

And now, in the present, Janus had the sneaking suspicion that the old family drama…was going to come back and kicked into high gear.

0