Chapter 12: Wolf Hunt
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Janus and Ana were now patrolling the streets of the City of London. It was close to midnight and the bright white moon was hanging overhead the city.

There weren’t many people roaming the streets since it was nighttime, but there were a few civilians here and there. Of course, with it being nighttime and all, those civilians are doing what they need to do fast and quickly head back home.

After all, again, nighttime was the time for monsters to come out. There was no sun, the moon was full and high in the sky, and the city was blanketed in darkness, giving the monsters more freedom to move around and avoid the HMDD.

Which is why the Night shift is so important. In the cover of darkness, the creatures of the night will prowl around the city and cause all kinds of chaos. And it’s up to the HMDD during the night shift to mitigate the chaos as much as possible.

“Since there’s a full moon out,” Janus spoke up. “Our nightshift will likely involve mostly werewolves.”

“That’s for certain.”

Other than Vampires, Werewolves were the second most troublesome monsters that the Helsing Family has had to deal with. Thankfully, they only show up during full moons, which provides hunters with a bit of breathing room in between.

Of course, while they don’t appear as frequently as Vampires, they are just as difficult to deal with.

“Since we’re mostly walking around and patrolling, how about another pop quiz?” Janus suddenly suggested.

“Another pop quiz…?” Ana looked hesitant as she remembered Janus’s last pop quiz on vampires.

He’ll mostly just ask generic questions on werewolves so she didn’t see much of a point in answering them.

“Come on, it’ll be fun! Now, here’s the first question; what are a werewolf's weaknesses?”

Just like with the Vampires, Janus is asking about a monster’s weaknesses and how to deal with them. How simple.

Ana sighed before deciding to answer. “There are several, but the main weaknesses are severe head wounds, fire, wolfsbane, magic, and also attacking them when they are in human form.”

“Very good~”

Like vampires, with that power they possess, they also have a variety of weaknesses. While werewolves were certainly big, strong, and durable, they were not invulnerable.

This is why causing severe head wounds could certainly kill a werewolf. Due to their rapid healing ability, much like Janus, attacking them anywhere other than their head wouldn’t work and would most likely just anger them.

Another known weakness of werewolves is Wolfsbane. Its real name is Aconitum and it is a plant. The reason why it is called Wolfsbane is not only the translation but also the fact that this plant is very toxic to werewolves.

If ingested, a werewolf will be very weak and also experience nausea and vomiting, and their entire stomach will be destroyed. A Patriarch of the Helsing Family in the past discovered this weakness when they forced a werewolf to ingest this plant after noticing how it would avoid it.

Since then, Wolfsbane has been used as a primary weapon against werewolves much like Silver against vampires

Another well-known weakness is attacking a werewolf while they are still human. Unlike vampires, werewolves only turn into their wolf form during full moons. And during that time, they are very vulnerable, like a vampire sleeping in their coffins during the day.

When they are in their werewolf form, a werewolf can heal incredibly fast and won’t die so easily. However, when they turn back into humans, they are no different than regular humans, making it easy to kill them.

Many of the Helsing lineages would stalk Werewolves and figure out what they look like in their human forms. And when they do, they hunt them down and kill them while they are humans.

“Now then, here’s the next question…what is the werewolf hierarchy like?”

“The hierarchy?” Ana pondered. “The werewolf Hierarchy is categorized into three positions. There’s the Alpha, the Betas, and then the Omegas. The Alpha is the leader of the Werewolf pack, and the Betas are the ones that follow the Alpha. As for Omegas, they are the outcasts of the Werewolf species; kicked out by their own alpha due to some kind of circumstance.”

Like vampires, the werewolves have a hierarchy of their own. The Alphas, Betas, and Omegas hierarchy. This tells the werewolves whose role is what.

And just like with the Royal Vampires, the higher the position the werewolf has, the stronger they are. For instance, the outcasts known as Omegas are the weakest of the weak.

This is mainly due to them not being part of any pack. To Werewolves, a pack was everything. The more members there were, the stronger they were. Especially the Alpha, who is considered the leader of said pack.

Then there’s the Betas, which are considered the subordinates of the Alphas. Each Beta Werewolf has a certain Job from Hunter, Warrior, or Scout. The Hunter hunts for prey, the Warrior fights enemies, and the Scout patrols the pack's base and vicinity.

And due to being part of the pack, Beta Werewolves are a bit more difficult to deal with since their power comes from being part of a pack.

Lastly is the Alpha Werewolf. There is only one Alpha in a pack, and they are the leader of their pack.

And Alphas are the strongest werewolf in the pack. Not only that, but their power grows even more with more members in their pack.

And due to their power and strength, only high-ranking HMDD members are allowed to fight Alphas. And it is highly recommended for Helsing members assist or take charge of the Alpha fight.

“Aside from Omegas being the weakest, Betas and Alphas are very difficult to deal with because they rely on group effort and power. Which is really bad since their power derives from groups, to begin with.” Janus groaned, looking annoyed as he continued walking.

“According to your profile sheet, you went up against Betas and Alphas before,” Ana stated. “Single-handedly, I might add.”

“I did. I think the first Alpha I fought against was when I was either thirteen or fourteen. I know it was before I attended Helsing Academy.”

Janus reminisced about one of his monster fights from when he was younger. The first Alpha he fought was a rather tough since its pack was rather large, giving it a lot of power in the process.

Thankfully, Janus was able to beat them thanks to his healing ability and also his quick wit in taking down the pack as quickly as possible, using sneak attacks and group kills, slowly reducing the number and weakening the Alpha in the process.

Then, Janus fought the Alpha and won while sustaining minimal injuries which healed soon after.

His fight against the Alpha was a sort of Test he needed to take as a Member of the Helsing family, to prove that he was capable of fighting against them. And since this was a Traditional Family test, all of the Helsing siblings did this as well.

Surprisingly enough or not, Janus had the best score when taking down the Alpha Werewolf and its pack. Despite being a Helsing only in name, he was better than his siblings despite them being actual Helsing descendants.

Needless to say…it caused a few more issues with his siblings, but he wasn’t all that surprised and didn’t really care much about that.

“Anyway,” Janus spoke up. “usually during Full Moons, we deal with Omegas since Betas and the Alphas don’t act out with us around unless they don’t care. So, we will most likely be encountering Omegas.”

“That’s very likely, yes. Omegas are no different than strays, wandering the streets of London and England without their pack.”

“Yep.”

Encountering an Omega is more likely than encountering a Beta or even an Alpha. This is because The Alpha and Beta werewolves are more cautious during the night and don’t do anything reckless.

Omegas, on the other hand, aren’t that cautious. Sometimes it's their own fault for them not being cautious, and sometimes they can’t help it.

This is mainly due to their Werewolf Instincts kicking in, causing them to act wild and attack people. This mostly happens to Omegas since they have no one to help them restrain those instincts.

Thankfully, because the Omegas can’t control their instincts, it also makes it easier to deal with them. When a werewolf is overcome by their instincts, they act like a rabid animal, which means they don’t think but just do.

Even if there were a couple of Omegas together, dealing with them was more or less easy enough for Janus and even Ana to deal with on their own.

“If it weren’t for the fact that it was close to midnight, I would’ve suggested we find a place to eat and take a-?!”

Both Janus and Ana then heard growling in the distance, followed by a woman screaming in horror. The pair looked at one another before charging over to where they heard the noise.

Not surprising, they entered a deserted alleyway where they heard the growling and screaming woman. As they got deeper inside, they soon got to where they heard the noise.

Standing before them were three werewolves surrounding one woman. The werewolves were well over eight feet tall, and their body was covered in fur of different colors from black to brown, to even gray. Their hands had razor-sharp claws that could easily cut through metal, and their head was that of a wolf.

Then there’s the woman. She had a blue and black dress that was ripped up, most likely from the werewolves attacking her. She was bleeding a little, but it didn’t look that severe.

Nevertheless…

“We need to deal with them now!” Janus declared as he pulls his sword out and charged at the werewolves.

One of the Lycans noticed Janus as it turned around at growled at them. Janus didn’t stop as he swung his sword at the monster.

The werewolf with brown fur managed to back away before getting cut, and then lunged at Janus, aiming its claws at his body. Janus blocked the claws with his sword as he pulled out his gun and tried shooting the werewolf in the head.

The brown fur werewolf moved its head and barely avoided a critical hit as the bullet pierced through its wolf ear. Just then, another werewolf with black fur charged at Janus to defend its partner, but Ana stepped it and cut it off, slashing her blade at the wolf and nearly cutting its arm off.

The Werewolf with black fur suffered a deep cut on its cut, but it didn’t take long before the wound healed back up, fur and all.

“Tch!” Ana clicked her tongue.

“Ana, think fast!” Janus then tossed something to Ana.

It was a leather pouch that he pulled out from his coat. Catching it, Ana hastily opened it up to see what it was.

Inside were purple plants. But not just normal purple plants…they were Aconitum, also known as Wolf’s Bane.

Knowing that the pouch contained Wolf’s Bane, she knew what she needed to do. Keeping the pouch open, she rushed over at the werewolves.

The werewolves started sniffing the air while fighting, and soon, their furs started to stand on end. The three Lycans then looked over at Ana and the pouch. Knowing that the smell was coming from the pouch that she was holding, the three werewolves started backing away in fear.

One of the werewolf’s notable abilities is their sense of smell. They have a sensitive sense of smell and can smell up to a few dozen miles away.

And due to their sensitive noses, they can easily smell Wolf’s Bane from where they were standing. And since werewolves feared Wolf’s bane, they couldn’t help but back away with their tails between their legs.

Just when they were about to flee…

“Don’t even think about it!” Janus swung his blade at one of the werewolves, severing their arm in the process.

The werewolf with black fur howled in pain as the other two Lycans ran away ahead of time, leaving the black-fur Lycan by itself.

Holding onto its stump arm, the Lycan glared at Janus, its glowing orange eyes piercing right through him. Wait…Orange?

“…You got to be joking.” Janus looked dumbfounded as he watched the black-fur Lycan running away after growling at him.

With the Werewolves gone, the woman that was getting attacked was now safe. While Janus kept looking at where the Lycan fled, Ana rushed over to the woman.

“Are you okay, Ma’am?”

“Y-yes…thank you.” The woman said, still shaking in fear.

Ana took a look at the woman’s injury and did her best to patch it up. Thankfully, all HMDD members have first-aid kits on their person at all times. They’re usually used for when the HMDD member is injured, but it’s also used on civilians that get hurt too.

While Ana was tending to the injured woman, Janus scanned the scene of the crime. Seeing if there were any clues that he lead him to the Lycans that ambushed this woman.

Though, while he did, a sudden thought came to mind and he looked over at where the woman was. From what he could tell, she was scratched by one of the Lycans…but what if she was bitten?

“Ma’am,” Janus called out to the woman. “Did any of those monsters bite along with that scratch?”

The woman looked over at me, her eyes quivering with fear as she answered. “N-no. They only scratched me. I-it looked like they were going to eat me…”

“…Did you notice what the color of their eyes was? Were any of them red?”

Anastasia soon turned her head at Janus, a look of worry and surprise all over her face.

“No…I-I think they were all orange. W-why…?”

Janus said nothing as he continued looking around. He then came across the severed arm of the Black-fur Lycan. However, it was no longer the arm of a werewolf, but of a human.

The black-furred wolf humanoid arm turned back into a normal pale-skinned arm of a human. As Janus walked over to pick it up, it started twitching, causing him to pause in repulse.

Before he thought about picking it up, he decided to just examine it from afar, disgusted by the severed arm’s spasming.

As he examined it, he noticed that there was a tattoo on its forearm. Most of the tattoo was facing the ground, so Janus needed to move it. Not wanting to touch it, Janus found a nearby stick and used that to move the arm.

As he did, though, the arm twitched violently, but he managed to move it to where he could clearly see the tattoo. Once the tattoo was in clear view, he took another look at it.

The tattoo showed a wolf howling with some tribal lines on it.

“The Howlers…just my luck,” Janus groaned as he pinched his nose in annoyance.

“Janus, what’s wrong?” Ana went over to Janus who was wearing a grim expression.

He hesitated at first but reluctantly told Ana what was going on.

“That tattoo on the Lycan’s arm is from the Tribal Wolf Pack, The Howlers.”

“T-the Howlers?” Ana gasped.

“Yeah…and if there’s a pack involved…”

“T-that means there’s an Alpha leading them…”

The pair looked at the arm of the Lycan that ran away, knowing that their night shift took a drastic turn for the worst.

0