Chapter 15: Onward to Broad Street
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Janus, Ana, Kora, and her group were now heading over to The Broad Street Ward of the City of London.

According to the Lycan that Janus interrogated, the Howlers pack was taking up residence there, even making it their own territory. However, that was going to change tonight.

While heading over to the Broad Street Ward, there was an awkward silence that engulfed the group. This was mainly because the rest of the group had just witnessed Janus torturing the Lycan in order to get information.

He then started acting like the leader and declared that they were heading over to Broad street so they can find the Howlers pack and deal with them. Although no one objected to him taking charge, there was a bit of hesitation.

And this was mainly due to the silent anger that he was displaying. While the others were speed walking, Janus was marching, each step stomping on the ground, showing his fury.

The awkward silence continued for a while until Kora spoke up.

“Janus…”

“What?”

“Since we’re dealing with the Howlers, what should our approach be?”

“Hmm…”

At first, Janus thought that Kora was going to apologize again, only irritating him further. But, instead, she’s acting like a Helsing and focusing on the mission. This put Janus at ease, knowing that there won’t be any unnecessary complications while they were hunting the Lycans.

“For now, my plan was to beat them at their own game.”

“That means you want to scout them out. Watch their movements and see what we should expect from them before planning an ambush.”

“Pretty much, yeah,” Janus said while shrugging his shoulders. “Any objections?”

“Hmm…” Kora pondered. “We should try to avoid direct conflict with the Howlers. While you and I are capable of handling them on our own, with our current group, things could get dicey.”

“What a coincidence, I was thinking the same thing.” Janus snickered.

While Janus and Kora were able to fight the Lycans solo, their group was a different story. Those monsters could use their men as hostages, turning the tables in their favor.

Janus thought about rushing off and just dealing with this on his own, but with Kora around, he knew that wasn’t going to happen. Which only irritates him more, knowing that Ana did this to prevent that from happening.

“We should try and take out the Alpha as soon as possible,” Kora stressed. “Considering an Alpha’s strength comes from his pack and vice versa, we need to eliminate it quickly.”

“Leave the Alpha to me. If I’m lucky, it might be a Pure-Blooded Lycan rather than just a turned one.”

“If it’s a pure blood along with being an Alpha, then that’s way too much for you to handle, Janus.”

“Please,” Janus scoffs.

A Pure-Blood Lycan is a werewolf that was born a werewolf. A turned Lycan is a human that got turned by an Alpha. The difference between the two types is that a pure-blood is a lot stronger, due to them being born with their abilities, rather than gaining them later in life.

And the difference between a Pure-Blood Alpha and Turned Alpha is even vaster. While both Lycans are Alphas, a pure-blood is more accustomed to the status of Alpha, allowing them to gain more out of it.

Although turned Alpha is strong, a Pure-blood Alpha was significantly stronger.

“What kind of info do we have on the Howlers pack, anyway?” Janus asked.

“Haven’t you read the reports about them?” Kora asked, looking dubious.

“More or less, but I just like to be thorough.”

“Right…” Kora sighed before continuing. “The Howlers Pack is part of the five main Lycan Packs of the City of London. Although they are the weakest, they are still not something to be underestimated.”

“Mainly their tactics in taking down humans and HMDD members. Their stalk and ambush tactic.”

“Pretty much. They rely on using Scouts and Hunters to take down any foes they come across. Instead of a frontal assault, the Howlers rely on stealth to eliminate their enemies. However…”

“Hmm? What’s up?” Janus asked.

“There…have been reports that the Howlers were changing tactics…”

Janus looked confused as he repeated Kora’s words. “Changing tactics? What does that mean exactly?”

“Well, they’re getting bolder when hunting at night. Especially when fighting against HMDD members. Instead of ambushing them outright and taking them down like usual, they actually confront them.”

“The Scouts and Hunters are being used as Warriors? That doesn’t sound right. Those Beta types are specifically used for hunting and surveying the area. Using them as fighters is like…having a cleric in the front lines of a battlefield.”

“Yeah, but although the reports we got are baffling…they are nonetheless true.”

“The hell?”

Janus was confused by these circumstances. The Howlers were the type of pack that relied on Warrior Betas. If anything, their strong suit was their scouts and hunters due to them being skilled in utilizing those types.

And yet, the Alpha was using them as warrior betas…something was going on. And it might have something to do with the Alpha trying to breed its own children and turn them into soldiers.

While Janus pondered this, Ana soon appeared next to them and spoke up.

“Miss Kora, what should your group and I do when dealing with the Howlers pack? Do we just try and take down the betas and help weaken the Alpha?”

“That would be appreciated,” Kora said with a smile. “And you don’t have to call me ‘miss Kora’. Just Kora is fine like usual.”

“A-ah, right…”

“Huh? Like usual?” Janus said in surprise. “What does that mean? Are you two acquainted?”

Kora and Ana looked at one another before Ana spoke up.

“U-um…Mis-Kora used to be my Captain for a brief moment when I first joined the HMDD.”

Janus said nothing as he looked at the pair with widened eyes. Ana and Kora didn’t look that surprised by Janus’s reaction, showing that they more or less expected this to happen.

“This was around a year or so ago, Janus,” Kora explained. “Besides, during that time, you were busy with your business with the Royal Family of England, remember?”

“Ah, right…” Janus suddenly remembered, realizing why he didn’t know about Kora and Ana knowing each other before.

“J-Janus had business with the Royal family?” Ana blurted out in surprise.

“I was mostly doing a favor for the prince at the time,” Janus shrugged, completely nonchalant about it. “He sent a messenger and told me that there was a job he needed me to do for him, so I did since I owed him.”

“Wha…” Ana looked flabbergasted by Janus’s statement.

The Royal Family of England, also known as the British Royal Family. The royal family comes from a long line of monarchs that ruled over England for over a thousand years.

The current Monarch of the royal family and England was Raymond Gray. As for his descendants, there were five children. Three boys and two girls.

The youngest child and third son was Prince Percy. This was the prince that Janus was referring to when he said he owed this person a favor.

While it may seem shocking for Janus to have a connection to someone from the royal family, this was mainly due to him being a Helsing. For hundreds of years, the Helsing Family and royal Family have been friends and allies that have supported one another.

And just like with Viktor and the Patriarch of the Cardell Family, The Helsing Patriarch is on very friendly terms with the King, which is why Janus was able to make such a connection.

“You and Lord Percy are definitely good friends,” Kora stated. “Otherwise, he wouldn’t consider you his equal.”

“His equal, huh? I don’t know about that…” Janus mumbled.

While Janus does consider Prince Percy as an ally, he couldn’t help but stray away from him due to the young prince’s personality. That being he was incredibly manipulative and cunning.

Janus still remembered his first meeting with the prince, a little before he went to the academy. He can never forget those snake-like eyes…analyzing his every movement like the prince was appraising Janus’s worth.

Shaking away those memories away, Janus focused back on the task at hand. Looking around, he soon noticed that they were closing in on the Broad Street ward.

“We’re almost at Broad street,” Janus informed. “We’ll need to inform the Patrol group of this ward and tell them what we discovered about the Howlers pack.”

“Right,” Ana said.

“Yeah,” Kora said.

The other HMDD members simply nodded their heads, not saying a word. It was obvious that they were still bitter about being led by Janus, but it was also clear that they were too afraid to speak up against him.

Especially when this particular group already went up against Janus in a four versus one, and yet they lost miserably. It was clear to them that all they needed to do was keep quiet and follow their orders.

As the group made it to the Broad Street Ward, they then started looking for the HMDD members that were patrolling this area. Usually, when HMDD members were on patrol, they either stick on the ground or scout their ward on the rooftops.

For the Ward of Broad Street, they stick to the ground and also near one of the six churches that reside in this ward. The churches of London are something like safe houses, where HMDD members go there to get equipment they might be lacking when facing up against monsters.

And since the church is very close with the HMDD, going to one of them was the group’s next goal.

“We should head to the All-Hallows church,” Kora stated. “That’s the main church of the Broad Street Ward.”

“Right, good idea,” Janus said.

The All-Hallows church is one of the six churches that resides in the Ward of Broad Street. Not only that, but it is the main church that supervises and assists the other churches of this ward.

Going to the All-Hallows church was a good plan since the group will be able to get their message out to the HMDD members patrolling the area or meet them there when they show up. Either way, they’ll be able to meet with the members that are protecting this ward.

After a little bit of running across rooftops to speed up the trip, they finally made it to the All-Hallows church. It was a rather small church building with dirty red brick walls and a tower placed at the front, serving as the entrance to the church.

Janus and the others went over to the church and entered the building. Inside, wooden benches lined up, all facing towards the other end of the building where the church altar table was placed.

There were a few people sitting at the benches, their heads down. They were most likely praying, so the HMDD group didn’t bother them.

While walking further inside, Janus and the others looked around the church. White marble pillars with lanterns hanging over the arcs, providing the building with plenty of light. The floor was light brown and appears to have been recently polished since the light from the lanterns was reflecting off the floor.

They walked down the little path between the wooden benches lined up beside them and went over to where the Alter was. Standing before the alter was a priest. He looked to be in his mid-thirties and wore a Cassock which was a long black garment that very well resembled a dress due to it going down to the priest’s ankles.

Around his neck was a chain-link necklace with a silver cross attached to it. A little bit of light gleamed off it when it was reflected by the lanterns every now and then.

As Janus and the group approached the priest, he soon noticed them and stepped away from his alter.

“Oh, what do I owe the pleasure?” The priest asked, smiling.

“We’re here to contact the HMDD members that are patrolling the Broad Street ward,” Janus explained.

“Oh, may I ask why?”

“We have information about a Lycan pack settling down in this ward,” Kora chimed in. “We wish to contact the members on patrol in this ward and ask for their help in performing a raid on the Lycan pack.”

“I see…” The priest pondered before turning over to another priest nearby.

He leaned over and whispered in the priest’s ear. After moving away, the other priest nods his head before leaving the area.

“Young Jonathan will hastily send out a message for the HMDD members that are in this ward. In the meantime, let me guide you to…the meeting room downstairs.”

The priest then guides Janus and the others over to a door nearby. The door was locked, so the priest pulled out a golden key with an intricate design on it and unlocks the door.

Opening it up, the door leads to a set of stairs leading downwards. This is where the “meeting room” was located.

The group said nothing as they continued to follow the priest down the stairs. As they did, the priest lit the candles that were hanging on the walls, lighting up the stairway.

It didn’t take long before they made it to the downstairs of the church. Underground was a corridor with a few doors on either side. At the far end of the corridor was a rather sturdy-looking double doors with two priests standing guard.

The priest that guided the group walked down the corridor and went over to where the two guards were. Nodding to one another and greeting each other, the two guards stepped away as the priest opened the double doors, revealing a large room with a rectangular table at the center that had over ten chairs.

On the walls were lit candles, illuminating the room. As the group entered inside, the priest then bows his head.

“Please wait here while I greet the others that will show up and join you in your meeting.”

“Got it. Thank you,” Janus said while bowing.

The priest then leaves while closing the door, leaving the group inside.

Janus then sighs. “As usual…going through procedure is a big waste of time.”

“Rules are rules, Janus,” Kora stated. “We can’t ignore them.”

“Really? Have you met me?” While Janus makes this statement with an extremely smug expression, Kora ignores him while rolling her eyes.

Janus and the others then started going over to the table where they were going to have their little meeting with the other HMDD members that patrol the Broad street Ward.

This room was known as the Meeting Room, where HMDD members gather and discuss certain topics involving monsters, their nests, and how they should raid them. It was like a War room of sorts, but on a smaller scale.

Janus sat on one of the chairs on the far end of the table. As he did, Kora and Ana followed suit, sitting right next to him on either side, practically sandwiching him.

While uncomfortable, Janus was also growing more impatience.

“We really need to get this show on the road. The longer we’re together, the more likely that sis-con will show up and make matters even worst than before.”

“H-huh?” Kora blurted out. “A-are you referring to…Kane?”

Kane Van Helsing. The second son and twin to Kora. While Kora was referred to as The Helsing Maiden, Kane was known as Draconian Helsing due to his strict and harsh personality.

“Who else? It’s only a matter of time before the other twin shows up and you know it.”

“Kane doesn’t even know I’m here,” Kora retorted. “I made sure to keep him from knowing about the request to help supervise you.”

“And you believed that he wouldn’t find out?” Janus started laughing.

As he continued to laugh, Kora’s face turned red as she grew more angry at him.

“Why are you laughing?!”

“Because despite being twins, you sure don’t know him when it comes to his obsession towards you.”

“H-he’s not that obsessed!”

“Seriously? Have you forgotten how back at the academy, any boy that tried to approach you would end up seriously injured or traumatized by him? He even psychologically tortured a couple of them!”

“H-he’s just overprotective…”

“No, overprotective would be a father checking in on his child every now and then and make sure that they're okay. Kane is an obsessive sis-con that practically stalks you, and keeps track of your every movement, and hurts anyone that gets close to you.”

“W-well…” Kora tried to defend her twin, but was unable to do so as she kept fumbling with her words.

“I understand that you care about that sis-con, but unfortunately, he’s extremely obsessive and possessive. You know I’m right. I’m surprised he didn’t show up when we were heading over to Broad Street. He’s either finding out where you are right now…or he’s currently stalking us.”

Janus scans his surroundings, making sure that the other twin was watching him in the shadows.

Just then, the double doors opened up, revealing the priest from before. Behind him appeared to be HMDD members that entered the room with the priest.

“Sorry for the delay,” The priest apologized. “The current patrollers of the Broad Street ward are here now.”

As the priest said this, the HMDD members that were patrolling the Broad Street ward then approached Janus and the others.

“My name is Captain Jacob Cole,” A young man in his mid-twenties with short black hair greeted them. “I’m currently patrolling the Broad street ward and was told that you wished to talk with us.”

Janus thought about getting up and greeting him, but he then motioned Kora to do that instead. Confused at first, Kora nonetheless approached the HMDD member named Jacob and greeted him.

“My name is Captain Kora Van Helsing. We called you here because we have information concerning Lycans lurking in this ward.”

The moment he heard Kora’s name, Jacob tensed up, acting more formal. “M-madam Kora, it’s a pleasure.”

He even bowed his head in show of respect.

“You don’t have to be so tense, alright?” Kora tried to calm him down.

“I-I see. I assume that ‘he’ was right when you were going to be here.”

“He?” Kora repeated, looking confused.

At first, Kora and the others were confused by this statement. But Janus soon realized what he meant and his face contorted with displeasure. It only got worse when “he” showed in person.

“Captain Jacob is referring to me, sister,” a person said in the back and started walking over to approach the group.

He had black hair that was tied in a wolf’s tail fashion and wore a similar HMDD outfit to Kora’s, though his outfit was gray rather than blue. The same color that matches his eyes.

Another thing to note was his face, which closely resembled Kora’s, as if they were twins. Though in this case…they were.

“K-Kane…?” Kora said, her face shocked with disbelief at seeing her twin before her.

“Hello, sister,” Kane said with a soft smile.

His smile soon disappeared when he turned and faced Janus, his eyes now brimming with anger and resentment. The feeling was mutual as Janus glared right back Kane.

The two walked over and faced one another, neither of them stopped glaring at the other.

“Hello…Janus,” Kane said bitterly.

“Kane…” Janus returned the bitter greeting.

And just like that, the other twin, Kane Van Helsing…has joined the fun.

0