Chapter 20: The Lycan Raid Part 3
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Trigger Warning: Suicide 
The first section of the story will involve suicide and thoughts of suicide, so if you don't want to read that part, just skip it. You have been warned. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A young Janus laid on his bed, holding onto his knees. It was currently the evening with the stars illuminating the night outside the mansion.

The young Janus could see the stars from where he was in the room. His window that showed the sky was located near his bed, allowing him to see outside.

However, instead of being amazed by the starry night…the young Janus was wallowing in despair.

He just got back from another abuse session by one of his siblings…it’s been going on like this for several weeks now since the Death of Helena Van Helsing…Janus’s adoptive mother and his siblings' blood-related mother.

The reason he’s getting harmed by his siblings is that he was the cause of their mother’s death. Due to him being weak and unable to protect her from the monsters when they went out to do a little shopping, Helena sacrificed herself to protect Janus, getting killed in the process.

Since then…the atmosphere in the Helsing Household grew heavy. Especially with his siblings.

Knowing that Janus was with their mother, and yet allowed her to die, caused the Helsing children to hate the young Janus. It was to the point where most of them started to harm him out of frustration and anger, always beating him up or injuring him in some other way.

What’s worse…even after getting abused by his siblings…all the injuries he got from them would instantly heal. Although this could be considered a miracle, it was nothing more than a burden for Janus.

It felt like he kept going back in time and getting hurt over and over and over again. It never stopped.

But deep down…Janus knew that he deserved it. After all, they were right. It was his fault that their mother died during that monster ambush.

She died because he was weak…because he couldn’t stand against the monsters and protect her. If it were his other siblings, they would’ve been able to do it.

Luther, Rebecca, Kane, Kora, and even Sherley would’ve been able to protect their mother. And that was because they weren’t weak like Janus.

They had the strength to back up their words. That was because they were Helsings. True Helsings.

While Janus…he was only a Helsing by name. He merely adopted the name, while the rest of were born with it. Formed by the notorious name, Van Helsing.

And that was the difference between Janus and his siblings. He wasn’t a true Helsing. They were.

He wasn’t born a warrior. They were.

He wasn’t trained to fight against monsters since birth. They were!

Janus wasn’t cut out to be a Helsing…but they were destined to be one since birth.

“Why…why am I even still alive?” Janus muttered, his eyes devoided of all life.

After the constant abuse, he had to endure from his siblings' wrath, the young Janus was slowly losing his will to live. After all…what’s the point of living if you live such a life as miserable as his?

He lost his first family to monsters and was the only survivor. He then got adopted by the Helsing family…but was met with a terrible fate and responsibility that came with becoming a Helsing.

And then…his adoptive mother died…trying to protect him, but died in the end, leaving him as the lone survivor. Just like his previous family.

And because of that, he was blamed for the death of their mother, practically forsaken at that point.

While there were those that stood by him like Kora and even Alistair…it still wasn’t enough. The constant torment and blame he receives from his siblings was slowly breaking him.

He was getting closer and closer to the edge…and it wasn’t long until he decided to take a leap.

Janus then got up from his bed, his eyes still hazy and out of focus, like he was in a trance. Getting out of his bed, he went under it and pulled out a chest of sorts.

Opening up the chest, he rummaged inside until he pulled out a peculiar weapon. It was a small dagger.

It had a black handle with a silver guard on it. Its sheath was also black with silver at the tip.

Janus then unsheathed the dagger, revealing the nicely crafted blade. The dagger shone from the light of the lanterns in his room.

Upon closer inspection, you could see the words “Van Helsing” engraved into the blade. This dagger was a last memento from his adoptive mother.

When he and Helena were going to head out and go shopping together, she gave him this dagger so he could protect himself.

He could still remember what she said to him that day.

“This dagger is now yours, Janus. I know you don’t want to fight…but you should hold on to this as a way to defend yourself, okay?”

Helena knew of Janus’s situation, and how he wasn’t a fighter. And yet, she still worried about him and wanted to make sure that he would be okay if the worst happened.

…And it did. Just like how Janus could remember his adoptive mother’s words from before, he also remembered the monster ambush that happened.

The carriage they were riding got pushed over, causing them to crash. The monsters that attacked them were Lycans. All of them growled and snarled at Janus and Helena, looking forward to killing them.

He could remember how Helena did her best to fend off the Lycans while also protecting him…and he also remembered how she died at the hands of one of the Lycans.

He could never forget the scene before him. His adoptive mother lying on the ground, bleeding out from the Lycan’s attack. Janus did his best to try and keep her alive until help arrived…but the wound was too severe to achieve that.

Despite dying, she still smiled at Janus, telling him that it was okay. In the end…she never blamed him nor hated him for what happened.

But Janus did. Just like his siblings, Janus had blamed himself over and over for his weakness. For letting Helena die.

He hated himself for being weak…for not being able to protect his family. But the one thing he hates even more about himself other than that…is the fact that he took away his siblings' only mother.

He could never forgive himself for that…and neither could they.

Janus looked at the dagger, blankly. His reflection could be seen on the blade, showing the same dead expression.

“I really can’t…do this anymore…” Janus mumbled tiredly.

He then pulled the dagger closer to him, pointing the blade at his chest. More specifically, his heart.

He was planning on killing himself.

“If I can just die…maybe that’ll make them feel better,” Janus morbidly said. “With me gone…they’ll likely be happy.”

It was clear to Janus that his presence was nothing more than a Bane to this family. To this very world.

Anyone who gets close to him…will only die in the end. This was the reality that Janus has come to realize.

His existence was a curse to others…so it would be better if he was dead. Then, just before he stabbed himself, a thought soon occurred.

“Will…I even be able to die in peace?”

The reason he thought about this was due to his Healing ability. During the two monster attacks he encountered, he managed to survive both thanks to his healing factor.

And since he’s able to heal any wounds…would stabbing himself even work? Will his healing factor fail to save him from stabbing himself in the chest…finally giving him peace of mind?

“I guess…there’s only one way to fight out.”

A new look of determination formed on Janus’s face. It was now time.

Janus pulled the dagger back, aiming it straight for his heart. And after a few moments…he plunged the blade into his chest.

“Looks like the first group finally started…” Janus muttered, noticing the noise happening near the tunnel of the back entrance.

“Took them long enough,” Kane said while pulling out his sword, ready to attack.

“Guess we’re up next then,” Kora said, keeping a keen eye on the back entrance of the tunnel.

The only people in this group were the three siblings, Janus, Kane, and Kora. Janus believed that having more people in the other group was more important since they’ll be able to take care of themselves with more people.

Besides, the Helsing siblings were more than another to take down the Alpha. If anything, it might be overkill with three of them, but Janus kept an open mind and stayed cautious just in case something unexpected happened.

Located a little close to a mile away from the main entrance, the three siblings were watching over the back entrance of the Tunnel hideout. Just like with the front entrance, it was a tunnel entrance like a sewer, but it was more obscured in order to keep people from knowing about it.

Not only that but there was only one Lycan keeping watch, as to keep people from thinking this is where the entrance of the hideout was.

The trio hid behind some trees while keeping watch of the entrance. They kept watching the Lycan keeping guard start to panic as he started hearing a noise in the base.

Then, the Lycan rushed inside, probably to check out what all the noise was. That was their cue.

“And just like that, the guards are gone,” Janus grinned sinisterly.

“Should we wait for the Alpha to leave through the back entrance?” Kora asked.

“No, we stick to the plan and attack him inside. With the Lycans dealing with Ana and Jacob’s group. We’ll be able to fight the bastard without any interference.”

“Plus, the Alpha might run away, what with us being in the open like this,” Kane added.

Although fighting the enemy on their turf is a bit risky, attacking in the open is even worse since there are plenty of ways for the enemy to escape. Plus, if they didn’t want to Alpha to flee, they would’ve had to lead them somewhere else, and the three of them felt like it was a pain to do that, so they resorted to this.

“Since the guard’s gone, let’s get inside while we can before the Alpha starts moving.”

“Right.”

The trio siblings then started their part of the plan. While the first group was busy distracting the Beta Lycans that were part of the Howlers Pack, the siblings were tasked with sneaking inside while all the chaos was happening.

Getting over to the back entrance, they closed in on the door. Thankfully, the Lycan guarding it forgot to lock the door to prevent people from entering.

Slowly opening it, the trio snuck a peek inside the door, revealing a long tunnel path leading in a dark void ahead of them. There were no lanterns just like at the entrance, so it was completely dark.

“Tch, it’s too dark…” Kane grumbled.

“Not really,” Janus said, nonchalantly. “I’ll lead the way since I’m able to see.”

“Right.”

“Got it…”

And like that, Janus led the way as they went further inside the tunnel. They slowly walked across the stone floor as they kept moving through the tunnel.

Although it was somewhat quiet, the sound of chaos happening near the entrance can be heard slightly in the distance. Howling, growling, and more could be heard with a slight echo.

“Looks like the other group is causing quite the ruckus,” Kane noted.

“The more chaos they cause, the better it is for us,” Janus stated.

After a little bit of walking, the group soon noticed an opening up ahead. There was light being projected in the area while the others were stuck in darkness.

Before they could move closer to the light, voices could clearly be heard. It was the Lycans.

“The HMDD found us and are pushing through the main entrance! We need to hold them off while getting the Boss out of here!”

“Tch! I’ll gather some more guys and try to keep them busy then!”

More voices could be heard, but they soon grew distant as they left the area, most likely heading to where Jacob and Ana were. Just like Janus planned.

“Let’s go.”

The twins nodded their heads in unison as they followed Janus into the lit room. As they did, they then entered a circular room.

The room had lit torches placed on multiple columns surrounding it. All the walls were tribal-looking flags that bore a Wolf howling. The symbol of the Lycan Pack, the Howlers.

Over on one side of the room was a rising platform with multiple steps leading to a chair at the top. No…it was a Throne.

This room… was the Howlers Throne room.

The trio admired the room while still hiding. After looking around a little bit, they soon noticed a Lycan in their human form walking over to the Throne.

He was around six feet tall and had thick muscles that were covered in veins pulsing, along with long black hair that went down to his shoulders. He wore a sleeveless black jacket, ripped-up pants, and black boots.

Aside from his appearance, it was his aura that caught the Helsing Sibling trio’s attention. The gangster-looking Lycan gave off a very menacing aura, more so than any Betas or Omegas they have encountered.

That only meant one thing; this guy was the Alpha.

“There he is…” Janus whispered.

“Yeah…”

The Alpha was in their sights, and not a single Beta was protecting him. That meant one thing…it was time to act.

Just as the group was about to plan their ambush, they heard an unexpected voice.

“How long are you going to keep me waiting?” It came from the only person in the Throne room…the Alpha Lycan.

“…Tch,” At first, Janus was surprised that they got caught, but he soon got annoyed right after.

The others looked a little irritated as well, like children that did their best to hide from their father but got found anyway.

Knowing that it was pointless to stay in hiding, the Sibling trio got out of their hiding spot and then approached the Alpha.

“How did you know we were here?” Janus asked though he had a good idea what it was.

“That scent-masking item of yours…isn’t very good.”

“Tch…knew it,” Kane scoffed.

“It worked well on the Betas and Omegas…” Kora stated.

“Yeah, but an Alpha’s different apparently…” Janus retorted.

Alpha’s were on a whole other level compared to Betas and especially Omegas. They are the Top Lycans in the Lycan Hierarchy, and they have the power to back it up.

Even if the Betas and Omegas weren’t able to catch the Trio’s scent thanks to the Scent Masking item, the Alpha was a different story.

Not only did he call them out…but it seemed like he knew they were there the whole time. Not only that…

“How long have you known we were here?” Janus asked, trying to get some answers.

“Since the moment you approached that entrance over there in this room,” The Alpha said calmly, completely unfazed by all of this. “After all…Helsings have a very distinct smell compared to regular humans.”

The moment the Alpha Lycan said this, the three siblings knew their mistake. Their mistake being their heritage.

It was said in stories, books, and legends that when God gifted the Helsing family with the ability to fight back against the monsters of this world, he also made it obvious for the monsters to know that it was them.

The Helsing family has a very distinct smell compared to normal humans. And it’s that smell that allows the monsters to identify them.

And it’s thanks to that smell that the trio was caught…

The Alpha then glares at them, but his gaze was more focused on Janus. Janus noticed the Alpha’s gaze and looked a little bothered by it.

“You,” The Alpha pointed at Janus. “You are not a Helsing…you don’t have the scent.”

Janus then sighed a little before speaking. “I’m in the Helsing family, but I’m adopted.”

“Adopted, huh?” The Alpha mused. “You live quite a cruel live then, having to stand next to such legends.”

Janus clenches his fists in anger, but he kept his face passive, making sure not to let the Alpha know he’s getting under his skin.

“Heh, you say that, but I’m actually the strongest aside from the Patriarch.”

As Janus said this, Kane looked at him with a bit of resentment or anger, but he focused back on the Alpha right after.

“Well, then, since we lost the element of surprise…let’s get this party started then!” Janus pulls out his sword along with Kane and Kora.

The siblings pointed their blades at the Alpha who remained calm while sitting on his throne. The Alpha then sighs before standing up.

“I’ve never fought a Helsing before…especially three at once. Maybe fighting you lot will show me how ready I am for the upcoming War I’m about to face.”

After saying this, the Alpha then started to transform. He groaned in pain as his body grew and expanded. His body was coated in black fur, his feet taking on a more hind-leg appearance, and his hands turning into massive sharp claws.

Lastly, his head changed shape, turning from a human head to a wolf one. Its face extended into a snout and wolf's ears appeared on his head. Lastly were his eyes which were once brown, but turned Blood Red. The Eyes of an Alpha.

The Transformation was now done, and the Alpha Lycan finally made his appearance. He looked a lot buffer and bigger than the Betas and especially the Omegas. Not only that, but his Lycan form gave off a far more intimidating aura than the others.

This…was an Alpha.

The Alpha then snarled at the Helsing siblings, prepping them for the fight. And then…the fight between the Helsings and Alpha had begun.

0