Chapter 4
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wei… Ying?" 

 

Wei Wuxian flinched, and did his best to hide it. He calmed himself, keeping his face blank; not even offering up a smile as walked forward to stand beside Mo Xuanyu.

 

"You two know each other?" Mo Xuanyu asked, before his eyes widened. Oh, right, they did know each other…

 

"Yes, A-Yu, once upon a time. What a surprise to see you, Lan WangJi, or should I say HanGuang-Jun? Oh, I met your little Juniors, they're quite cute." Wei Wuxian spoke smoothly, his face still expressionless and blank. He's the one that's more surprised, looking at him, I was the one that was dead for 15 years.

 

Lan WangJi still hadn't look away from him, golden eyes bright and shimmering.

 

Huh? Tears? Surely Lan Zhan wouldn't cry because of me.

 

Wei Wuxian turned away from that bright, captivating gaze, handing Mo Xuanyu the apples he had in his hands. "Here, for you."

 

"Thank you, Wuxian." Mo Xuanyu said, instead of Senior Wei. Wei Wuxian didn't care, Mo Xuanyu could call him by his name if he wanted, or Xian ge-ge, he smirked internally.

   He felt close to and bonded to the boy. And no wonder after spending time with him, and possibly from sucking his blood. He just cared about the boy and the boy seemed to return the sentiment. 

 

 He shrugged. "It was no problem, A-Yu." He ruffled the hair on the boys head. A painful throb suddenly echoed through his chest, the hunger reading its head. Shit. It was still daytime and he was around too many people. They needed to leave. 

 

He turned back to the silent Lan WangJi, still staring him as though to capture every detail of him, like he would disappear at any moment.

 

"Wei Ying." Lan WangJi's voice sounded broken, hoarse.

 

"My apologies, I can't stay longer, Han Guang-Jun, my friend and I have to leave." Wei Wuxian's voice was curt. His throat was on fire. 

 

He turned away with Mo Xuanyu, leaving.

 

"Wei Ying." The other's voice was only a whisper, and Wei Wuxian felt a grasp on his wrist, halting his movements. Wei Wuxian looked back, caught in Lan WangJi's grasp. Lan Wangji looked pleading and desperate. If Wei Wuxian's heart was still beating, he felt it would be in so much pain right now, and he didn't understand why.

 

He felt such sorrow in this moment, such such sadness which he always kept buried deep beneath his self-hatred, but it surfaced. It hurt. Wei Wuxian sighed internally and apologized to Lan Wangji, as he slowly but firmly separated the other man's grasp on his wrist, and gave the shattered looking man on final glance before resolutely turning and walking away.

 

Sorry, Lan Zhan, you said we weren't close first right? And...if you knew...would you not hate me more? It's better to stay away from each other since I'm back. 

 

Wei Wuxian chuckled morosely to himself, bitter. And no one could hate me more than I hate myself.

 

Ah. This feeling is really the worst. 

 

Wei Wuxian never looked back at the man whose eyes had never left him, staring after him alone, until he could no longer see him. 

 

                                                                ■~~~♡~~~■

 

"Two rooms, please." Wei Wuxian and No Xuanyu had stopped at an over at inn, after having traveled for a few days. Wei Wuxian's body was faintly shaking, but human eyes could not catch on to his internal struggles as he manipulated the kind owner of the inn into giving him to rooms. He needed to be hidden behind closed doors. Away from all warm bodies in the inn. He was starving. 

 

After getting their room, Wei Wuxian have the owner a tight-lipped charming smile before pulling Mo Xuanyu to their rooms. He quickly shut the door after pulling Mo Xuanyu into room him.

 

Wei Wuxian cursed. He couldn't believe what he was about to do for the second time. Drinking from the teen before him. Fuck. He hated this. Not Mo Xuanyu, he could never hate the sweet boy. No. Just himself and this fucked up situation he was in.

 

His bottom lip was bleeding from where he sank his teeth into it, biting down and nibbling; at war with himself. 

 

 Mo Xuanyu gave him an understanding, soft smile and grabbed Wei Wuxian's hand to pull him to sit on the bed. After getting comfortable, Mo Xuanyu say next to him, and offered his blood, baring his neck to him. 

 

The shaking of his body worsened, his eyes were glowing a fierce red, he knew, and he was just… so hungry. He couldn't hold back anymore. He held the boy carefully, as he brought his lips to the boys thrumming pulse as though he were giving the boy a light kiss on his neck, before sinking the points of his teeth deep into the unguarded flesh. The boy shivered in his grasp, a small whimper of pain seemed to escape him.

  Wei Wuxian slowed down, his movements in right control as he sucked from the boys neck greedily, the warmth of the boys lifeblood steadily being swallowed down his throat. Wei Wuxian closed his eyes, savoring the taste. He felt Mo Xuanyu gripping his shoulders, digging into his cold skin. 

   He didn't want to stop. He wanted more, his hunger never seemed to truly be sated. He was always so hungry. His mind kept wanting to slip into darkness and let his animalistic instincts take over. 

  Wei Wuxian drank two last, good gulps of blood before stopping and licking the wound on the boys neck, watching as it healed. Mo Xuanyu was knocked out cold from their blood giving session, but unlike last time, it wasn't life-threatening. 

   The boy had seemingly fallen into a peaceful sleep in Wei Wuxian's arms, curling up like a small child. He stared at the boy before lowering the boy onto the bed. The wouldn't need two rooms after all. Wei Wuxian sighed tucking Mo Xuanyu in and sitting quietly by his bedside, staring silently into the now dark room, daylight had turned to night. 

  He waited a few more minutes before standing and checking to make sure No Xuanyu was asleep before quietly slipping out of the room, his expression cold. He had business to attend to after all, and being this close to the Lanling Jin Sect was the perfect opportunity. 

   Mo Xuanyu and been willing to go with him, even after his hardships, but Wei Wuxian didn't want to drag him into this mess and how Wei Wuxian would later pay a visit soon to Nie Huaisang after he was done here. 

  Alone, he was faster, not held back by Mo  Xuanyu's human speed. For a normal person, it would take longer to get to Qinghe Sect. A cultivator, depending on where they are, on sword - could still be a few days. 

  He needed to find Wen Ning and set him free and anyone who got in his way would pay the price. 

And later he would go to see Nie Huaisang to discuss his role in events. 

Freeing Wen Ning came first. 

 

                                                            ■~~~~♡~~~~■

 

"Good." Wei Wuxian cooed softly to the tendrils of shadows at his command, so obedient and compliant; unlike before when he was human. 

   He landed quietly in the roof of the Lanling Jin Sect. "Ah. Here we are." He whispered into the night, a crazed sneer perched on his lips.

 

He jumped down, his feet light. He easily slipped in. He sniffed, searching for the small of death. Wen Ning was a fierce corpse after all. He blended into the shadows of the walls, moving so fast that human eyes could not grasp him in their sight. Bright gold was everywhere and so shiny, even in the dark. The sight of luxury and money to behold, walls full of grandeur. 

   Wei Wuxian rolled his eyes in annoyance, grumbling. 

  He followed the scent of death as it grew stronger the closer he got. 

 It lead him to a secret compartment. 

 

He snickered. Jin Guangshan, that bastard. He heard that the man was dead. Good riddance. 

 

He sneered to himself.

 

He went down a flight of stairs after going through the hidden door.

 

The place was dark and cold, void of life. There was a desk on one side, full of his old manuscripts. Jin Guangyao….

 

He turned away to look to the center of the room, where a figure was chained to the ceiling and the floor, an array around the figure. Wei Wuxian growled, fury seething inside him. 

 

"Wen Ning!" He stalked forward, feet silent. "Wake up!"

 

The chain figure jerked, snapping awake and growling, yanking on his chains.

 

Wei Wuxian sighed. "Oh, Wen Ning, what have they done to you, my friend?"

 

He reached his hands out, pulling to long needles out from both sides of his friend's head. Wen Ning groaned.

 

Wei Wuxian tucked the out the nails away, giving Wen Ning space as the fierce corpse came to. 

 

"Yo-young Master...Wei?" His force corpse friend asked, Wen Ning's eyes were no longer all white's.

 

"Ah, it's good to see you, Wen Ning." The other smiled, but as of lately since coming back from the dead as an undead, a demon - his smile never reached his eyes. Wei Wuxian really did feel it was good to see Wen Ning though. 

 

 "We'd better not waste time, and best get going, wouldn't you say?" Wei Wuxian drawled.

 

Wen Ning nodded and started following after him. "Yes, Young Master Wei."

 

Suddenly he stopped because Wei Wuxian stopped, and looked back at him. "Wen Ning, how many times have I told you not to call me that?" He snapped, his red eyes glaring eerily and menacing. 

 

"Sorry." The Ghost General bowed his head and whispered. Wei Wuxian snarled and growled, "and stop apologizing all the damn time!" He seemed even more irate when he snapped again.

 

  Wei Wuxian was still fuming but it wasn't Wen Nings fault. He sighed. "Look, Wen Ning, I'm the one who should apologize." He forced himself to calm down and give a better smile, or at least a more convincing one, he hoped.

  He so damn tired and angry and hateful but burying those useless feelings, especially for Mo Xuanyu. He may not be able to act and be as he was when he was human, or pretend, but he could give him something brighter at least, even if it felt like a fraud. Or he tried to be brighter and more positive. It didn't seem to be working.

 

Wen Ning stared at Wei Wuxian. His expression looked completely shattered and broken, utterly devastated, and as though he was resigned to his fate; as though he had given up.

 

He was there when Wei Wuxian broke down, more than once, but this was far worse. 

 

This was...far, far worse. Even though Wen Ning's heart no longer beat, he ached for the man standing before him. 

 

A gasp echoed. The both turned to see someone of the Jin Sect. 

 

Wei Wuxian sneered. This person was one of Jin Guangyao's close subordinates, judging from the looks of things.

 

The person just stared back in horror. "It's you! You-your alive!" He scrambles away in panic trying to run for help. Wei Wuxian just sighed, moving swiftly and instantly grasping the man with a hand over his mouth, stabbing the man through his chest with fingers and nails poised like sharp weapons and punching wetly through the Jin Sect members body. 

  Wei Wuxian's hand penetrated out of the man's back, and he ripped his hand free, blood splashing across his face and dropping in a sloppy, messy squelch of blood pooling at their feet. Wei Wuxian held the man up by his clothing, he was already dead, limply hanging from his grasp.

 

 "Ah, what a shame. If only you hadn't come here - you wouldn't have had to die. It really is quite sad, you remembered me but I did not remember you; but don't worry, I won't let your blood go to waste." Wei Wuxian rambled a little, eyes still deep red, a small light strange gleam of madness surfacing within them, but he was very much in control - not out of his mind besides normal, but just really fucking angry. He hadn't been calm at all. 

 

 He wouldn't go seeking Jin Guangyao out for revenge, he could care less; but for the torment that man out others through. He owed him just this once. He had no doubt it would be kept a secret. He would drain the poor dead fellow in his hands dry and leave him as a parting gift in Jin Guangyao's secret room.

 

  Wei Wuxian smirked, then blinked. Oh, right. Wen Ning. 

 

 He glanced back, "Alright then, come on Wen Ning. Let's go after I finish my meal." He gave a grim, hollow smile at the former Ghost General who just stared at him in shock. 

 

He couldn't believe what had happened to Wei Wuxian..that off feeling...He wasn't human anymore? But he wasn't like him either. He thought about all of the rumors and remarks on his Master's death. Just what happened to Wei Wuxian?

 

                                                                  ~~••♡••~~

 

As he had wanted, he left a parting gift in Jin Guangyao's secret room before leaving with Wen Ning. 

 

Once outside, Wei Wuxian looked over at Wen Ning. "We need to stop somewhere else real quick, but after I check on someone and leave a note for them. Can you keep up?" 

 

Wen Ning blinked but nodded, following after Wei Wuxian's running and leaping form, such inhuman speed and gracefully agile body, and far too fast for a normal citizen or a regular cultivator.

 

Wei Wuxian came to a stop at an inn, it was still night and not quite morning, and Wen Ning waited for him outside.

 

After creeping into the inn,  Wei Wuxian laid out a few steamed buns and an apple by Mo Xuanyu's bedside for him. He felt like brushing the boys hair back from his face and froze, staring at the speck of blood he missed while cleaning the rest off.

 

"Where were you?" 

 

Wei Wuxian jerked back, swallowing. "A-Yu, I thought you were asleep." He went to pull away when Mo Xuanyu grasped his hand. "I had a nightmare and woke up. You weren't here." 

 

Wei Wuxian flinched, not moving as Mo Xuanyu lit a candle sitting on the side, and inspected his hands, spotting the speck of blood. 

 

Wei Wuxian flinched again. He hadn't wanted Mo Xuanyu to notice. Mo Xuanyu, was still inspecting his hand. Wei Wuxian could easily pull away but he didn't want to… He was afraid that if he did, Mo Xuanyu would turn away from him. 

 

He also didn't want to lie to the boy, to destroy his trust, so he told him the truth. 

 

Mo Xuanyu glanced at him, not judging but worried. "Are you still hungry?"

 

He was always hungry. He never stopped being hungry - never stopped craving blood and while on the outside he seemed to be holding himself together quite well… or so he thought...the hunger was always incessantly poking at him, gnawing at him. He was always so hungry, starving. It's amazing how he had managed to do kill anymore innocents, holding tightly onto control.

 

He gave a tight smile. "No, I'm not. I'm okay, A-Yu."

 

Mo Xuanyu scowled. "Liar. That wasn't convincing at all." 

 

Wei Wuxian chuckled, poking the boys nose and suddenly punching his cheeks playfully, as he used to do with A-Yuan before everything happened.

His little radish… the Wen remnants… were all gone.

 

He had failed them in the end, after all the promises he made, he failed everyone…

 

Why am I here? What purpose is there? Do I have to live like this forever? 

 

"My, my. So perceptive, are we, hmm?" He hummed, still teasing Mo Xuanyu, eyes lost in the past. 

 

"Senior Wei? Wei Wuxian? Ge-ge?" A hand waved in his face. "Xian ge-ge?"

 

 Wei Wuxian flinched, abruptly pulling back, Mo Xuanyu rubbed red cheeks. "I'm sorry A-Yu, I hadn't meant to hurt you." He grimaced. 

 

Mo Xuanyu stared at him, worry lingering in his eyes and apologized, "You wouldn't snap out of it and I kept calling your name so I…"

 

Wei Wuxian held up a hand and shook his head. "No, A-Yu, it's alright. Call me whatever you feel comfortable with." He attempted another smile before letting it fall flat. 

 

He needed to change the subject.

 

 He was also worried about Mo Xuanyu and how the boy was actually taking what he said earlier with what happened the Lanling Jin Sect. 

 

On the surface he seemed fine, but in some ways, Mo Xuanyu reminded Wei Wuxian of himself, and not in a positive way.

 

And that scared him.

 

Mo Xuanyu carried quite a bit of trauma because of Jin Guangyao's treatment and lies, and Nie Huaisangs so called kindness, and he had nightmares about that and his childhood. 

   And he knew, because of sharp senses that the Hand that had attacked Mo Manor was none other than Nie Mingjue's hand. He had a bit of a gut feeling that it is because of Jin Guangyao. 

 

He really needed to talk to Nie Huaisang, not that he wanted to be involved in their world anymore and if word got out I him being alive, the other cultivator would certainly try to come and kill him, and be stupidly horrified when they failed. 

 

He was truly a monster. A demon. And he could do nothing about it. 

 

"A-Yu, Wen Ning is waiting for me outside. I need to go see Nie Huaidang. You can stay and I will be back."

 

"What? No, I want to go. I don't want to stay here." Mo Xuanyu stood up with his arms crossed, drowning at him. 

 

"A-Yu, really…"

 

"I want to go. And you need to clean up the rest of the speck of blood first." Mo Xuanyu pointed.

 

Wei Wuxian sighed, when did this boy suddenly become so demanding?

 

"Alright, alright. But I'll have to carry you. It's far quicker that way." He said, caving in.  

Mo Xuanyu nodded. "Okay."

 

                            ~~▪▪▪▪~~

 

"Woah!" Mo Xuanyu mumbled, gripping arms tight around Wei Wuxians neck as they practically flew with inhuman speed. He closed his eyes, the speed was exhilarating but dizzying..

  He knew Wei Wuxian had been a talented young cultivator, skilled in everything; swift and agile but even more so now that he wasn't human, the limitations that humans are faced with didn't apply to him any longer. 

  No time was wasted on the journey to the Nie Qinghe Sect. 

The Ghost General had followed them swiftly from behind.

It was already daylight but they still managed to slip in undetected. 

  Mo Xuanyu was holding into Wei Wuxian tightly, anxiety swirling uncomfortably in his chest. He remembered Nie Huaisang and the things that followed after…

He had admired Nie Huaisang, had trusted him, and he once had a crush on him...he still did...on the same man who, at Mo Xuanyu's lowest point, basically manipulated him, and turned him into the path of trying to commit suicide to help in his revenge.

  What a little fool he had been.

Mo Xuanyu grit his teeth, his body trembled.

 Wei Wuxian glanced back worriedly at Mo Xuanyu. "A-Yu, it's okay. I'm here. Don't be afraid."

Mo Xuanyu gave a shaky small smile, slowly climbing down from Wei Wuxians back. 

 Wei Wuxian strode with confident strides, following what he recognized as Nie Huaisang's scent; similar but different to his apparently dead brother and his severed hand that was in the custody of the Gusu Lan Sect. 

   A few of the Qinghe disciples had noticed their presence, albeit a little late and they didn't have the power to stop Wei Wuxian, who with a simple glance; halted their tracks and manipulating them, making them too confused to follow. 

   Wei Wuxian announced his presence by storming through the main doors which he forced open with a slam, still holding back some strength - well - mostly, from the cracks in the doors he heard when they appeared, rattled with force. 

  Nie Huaisang, the Head Shaker, sat docilely, sipping tea from a cup which slipped from his fingers in shock, falling to the floor and shattering. 

  "My, my, my. My Dear Nie Huaisang ~ What a pleasure to see you again!" Wei Wuxian practically purred, and splayed his arms in a wide arc, an open embrace with a sharp smile as he walked forward in broad steps, the smile itself held much ice within it, not bothering to conceal very sharp teeth. “~ You and I need to have a talk. ~”

 

Wei Wuxian watched as Nie Huaisang took everything in, staring at him in shock, his face bleaching completely white as his gaze found Mo Xuanyu, who was shielded behind Wei Wuxian, and the Wen Ning, his infamous ‘Ghost General’, as many called him. Wei Wuxian casually walked forward to sit in front Nie Huaisang, Mo Xuanyu close behind and Wen Ning simply waited silently where he was, watchful and alert. 

 

“You two already know each other, so no need for introductions there,”  Wei Wuxians lips curled in a sneer as he spoke, motioning between Nie Huaisang and Mo Xuanyu, voice dry with sarcasm as he made himself comfortable. “Ah, and no need to play the fool, I already know pretty much everything, and even if I didn’t; I have very strong hunches.” He lounged casually, in a laid back manner as he spoke. 

 

“Wei Ge-ge…” Mo Xuanyu’s timid voice trailed off, uncertain. Wei Wuxian glanced at the quivering, timid boy sitting close to him, leaning on him. He softened his sharp edges, dividing his attention between Mo Xuanyu and Nie Huaisang. “Alright, A-Yu. I understand. Hmm… A-Yu, is there anything you would like to get off your chest?” Wei Wuxian softened his tone in a cajoling manner, coaxing the boy to speak. “Don’t be afraid. I’m right here.” He rubbed the boys back in a gentle soothing manner, simply thinking that if he spoke of what may be plaguing his mind, it would help him. It was nothing against Nie Huaisang, really, although he was pretty pissed on Mo Xuanyu’s behalf; not to mention the little Lan Juniors that could have been hurt or worse at Mo Village. 

 He didn’t hate Nie Huaisang and he could understand the motivation behind it all. And Nie Huaisang was quite ruthless in a way Wei Wuxian had never been, he didn’t plan or orchestrate schemes and didn’t manipulate people into his web, using them as tools. Wei Wuxian had been more straightforward, and even his good intentions ended up hurting innocent people. Nie Huaisang was a behind the scenes person; and while he didn’t exactly get his own hands dirty, he had others do the work for him, or set up a scheme so that things fall into place as he wishes and he doesn’t have to lift a finger in his endeavor of revenge behind the scenes. Wei Wuixian’s revenge against Wen Chao, his brutal death and torture had been completely straightforward in ruthlessness. 

And again, he didn’t hate Nie Huaisang, and when they were young, he had scene the other as a friend. And he understood that despite his complicated relationship with Nie Mingjue, Nie Huaisang had looked up to, admired, and loved his brother. Why wouldn’t he want to get revenge? Wei Wuxian couldn’t, and would not begrudge Nie Huaisang for wanting and attempting revenge; he had no room to talk knowing what he did to Wen Chao, but it's just how he used people around him so callously; innocent people, and that didn’t sit well with him. Mo Xuanyu was a prime example, the boy had tried to kill himself - an effort that would have been in vain and he would have basically destroyed his soul and any chance he had at rebirth; and just to bring him back - when in fact - he was already back.

Mo Xuanyu opened his mouth, and closed it again, looking back down and fumbling with his fingers nervously. Wei Wuxian huffed, a little quirk forming upon his lips as he ruffled Mo Xuanyu’s hair. “Don’t worry about it. You don’t need to say anything.” He comforted. He knew the boy had a lot of trauma and was surely hurt and yet Wei Wuxian knew that despite that, the boy didn’t hate Nie Huaisang either, and cared for him; just disappointed and possibly unable to trust the other man sitting in front of them. Still in shock, it seemed. Probably over Wei Wuxian and Mo Xuanyu’s presence, plus the fact that the two are sitting together when he had been looking for an entirely different result.

Wei Wuxian was about to speak again when Mo Xuanyu grabbed his arm. He glanced down at the boy. “Wait!” Mo Xuanyu muttered, seeming to take a deep and shaky breath. But Mo Xuanyu turned his gaze to Nie Huaisang, voice low and eyes downcast, a bitter smile appearing on his face. 

“I do have something I want to say. I won’t ask why because I know why…” he paused before continuing, “I get it. I do. However… I looked up to you and trusted you in one of my darkest times and you only saw fit to use me as your pawn. You knew I was lost… you knew I was hurting… and that I was slowly losing my mind - but you used that to your advantage against my half-brother, you used me. You strung me along, knowing I that I even had a crush on you and you used my own desperation, my own feelings against me..” Mo Xuanyu’s voice trembled, so brittle and small, shaking but trying to hold it together even as tears spilled from his eyes. “And yet.. I don’t hate you. I can’t hate you, even if I wanted to... because despite the betrayal and the pain… my heart won’t let me..” the bitter smile widened, the boys eyes becoming sad crescents as tears kept falling from Mo Xuanyu’s face. “But I no longer trust you. Never again.” Another shaky breath escaped the boy as he opened his eyes, wiping at his tears and turning his gaze away. 

“Ah, excellent A-Yu! You did well!” For once, Wei Wuxian gave him the biggest and widest smile, the first genuine smile since he had come back; because he was so proud of the boy and no matter his personal inner turmoil or issues, the boy deserved genuine praise and a smile from him at least once - without all the gloom and doom he had turned into. Mo Xuanyu’s eyes widened in surprise and his face flushed from Wei Wuxian’s smile and praise, quickly looking away from the other. His chest felt warmth from mans radiant smile, the first one he had ever seen. It was as blinding as the sun. It felt precious, it was precious.

 Mo Xuanyu felt saddened by that, knowing and yet not knowing how such a bright man had become the way he had. His heart ached for the man next to him, the man who had just gifted him with the brightest and most genuine smile ever, and aimed at him - for him. That made him really happy. He really loved Wei Wuxian, even though only knowing the other for a short while. He was the only real person he had met that he felt he could call family, and he knew the other really cared for him. He would follow Wei Wuxian to the ends of the earth. 

“I’m gonna go stand with Wen Ning.” Mo Xuanyu murmured to Wei Wuxian,  the Ghost General looked a little lonely. Wei Wuxian nodded, waving him away, a soft lingering smile on his face for Mo Xuanyu, because it may be the only time, the first and last time he will ever smile again, coming back. After watching the boy go to stand with Wen Ning, the other convincing him to sit before turning back to face Nie Huaisang, smile gone and eyes a frightening red judging from the flinch of Nie Huaisangs shoulders in shock. Wei Wuxian laid his chin upon the palm of his hand braced upon his leg. “You're probably wondering how I am here, like this, and Mo Xuanyu is fine. I have nothing to really hide; though, I want to keep a low profile. But I’m not worried about you turning me in.” Wei Wuxian grinned sharply. And so Wei Wuxian told him the gritty details of how he knew he came to be the way he was now. 

Nie Huaisang ate it all up with wide, interested eyes; the rest of his face hidden behind his fan.

Wei Wuxian looked at him with a smirk, finishing his tale. “And there you have it!” He spoke in a perky, bright manner, although it was forced. He continued to stare Nie Huaisang down.

“Nie Huaisang, I’ve always liked you. You seemed like a good and interesting kind of person. And despite your current actions lately, I have no enmity towards you. Whatever schemes and plans are rolling around in that mind of yours, find other ways than dragging innocent people into your mess. Me? I have nothing better to do than wander around, lounging here and there,” and while he didn’t say it, he would maybe go night hunting still like he used to as a cultivator and help people - because he can’t not help them, if he could control himself and manage not to kill anyone or have them discover what he has become, “plus I have all the time in the world; so teen friendship aside, I will not hesitate to act against you if necessary and I can be more of a monster than you, as I already am,” Wei Wuxian laughed dryly, “and don’t worry about trying to kill me in the future if you think it may benefit you later - I have already tried countless times, and,” He had walked forward, leaning into Nie Huaisangs right ear, speaking in a whisper as he finished his sentence so coldly and monotonous he felt Nie Huaisang shiver a bit, “I can’t die.” Wei Wuxian really could not die, so far as he knew.

Wei Wuxian pulled back with a smile. “Well, that I know anyway, in many ways I have tried to,” Wei Wuxian then admitted casually before speaking again, “It really is so good to see you, my friend. Whatever plans you have for Jin Guangyao, remember what I have said. And you know very well how straightforward I am.” He kept his blade like smile on his face, his blood red crimson eyes chilling , this was the last and only warning he would give Nie Huaisang. 

“Ah, we should get going. I will stop by again sometime maybe and see you soon!” Wei Wuxian called over his shoulder, with a backward wave before ushering his two companions out with him as he left without a backward glance, he said what he needed to say and nothing more. Nie Huaisang knew that Wei Wuxian already knew about Nie Mingjue and Wei Wuxian left a friendly warning, albeit a bit cold. The man definitely was not the same as he used to be.

The moment Wei Wuxian left, the Nie Qinghe Sect members were looking at each other all confused, “Eh? What happened? What’s going on? I don’t remember anything!” Shouts of dismay echoed, and could be heard by the reluctant sect leader as he sighed, getting up to go to appease them, the culprit that had left them in muddled confusion was already gone. 

 

                  ~~~*<>*~~~

 

 It was night again. They had stayed and talked for quite some time it seemed, more than they had anticipated. 

The stayed in the city of Qinghe, at one of the inns, to allow Mo Xuanyu to rest for the night, Wen Ning stayed outside to guard; hidden, wanting to be useful even after Wei Wuxian repeatedly told the other he could come in, even through the window and stay instead of staying outside. Wen Ning just smiled and shook his head to say no. Wei Wuxian sighed but let him do wanted he wanted to. 

    Alone in the same room, he looked at Mo Xuanyu and went to help him set up the bed to rest.

    “You said I can call you whatever I want, right?” The boy sat on the bed, knees pressed to his chest and his arms wrapped around them, staring at him.

    Wei Wuxian looked at him questioningly. “Yes, and I meant it. Is something wrong? Are you upset still from earlier?” Wei Wuxian frown.

     “No! It's not that! I mean, yeah, at first...when first saw him again but I wanted to go with you. It was my choice. I just.. I… I’m just worried and I don’t want to be a burden to you.” Mo Xuanyu whispered, hiding his face in his knees. Wei Wuxian scowled, and was at the boys side in an instant, using the tip of his finger to lift up the boys chin. “A-Yu, what gave you that impression? It's not like that at all! You are not a burden! I’m the one worried! I could kill you at any time! I am not okay, I am not in control! You’re a sweet kid, and I like having you by my side but… I am the real danger to you. I feel that my mind is still not in the right frame of mind, like how I was when I was alive before turning to resentful energy. I am not who I was when I was alive, back then. I am worried about your health and safety by my side and if you interpreting that into you being a burden to you… it's not like that at all, A-Yu, quite the opposite. You’re life may not matter to you, my dear child, but it matters to me.” Two lone, crimson bloody tears slipped from Wei Wuxians grey eyes as he stared at Mo Xuanyu, holding back the crimson color and his hunger by extreme force.

This wasn’t about him. 

     "Lie down." Wei Wuxian moved to help him settle comfortably on the bed, but was stopped. "Wait… aren't you hungry? You need blood, right?" Mo Xuanyu fretted, trying to give Wei Wuxian access his blood by leaning forward and arching his neck. Wei Wuxian held himself rigidly still. 

  Damn. His throat felt like it was literally on fire, burning with need, numbering for the blood pulsing in the back of the child he had come to swiftly adore. He was so horrifyingly hungry, and he had fed not too long ago. He used all his willpower to restrain himself, locking the hunger away and refusing to feed, and he pushed Mo Xuanyu down on the bed to go to sleep.

   "Wei ge-ge?" Mo Xuanyu asked worriedly. Wei Wuxian huffed, chuckling, and flicked the boy on the forehead fondly, in a drawn out, lilting playful tone,  "A-Yu… I'm fine. I'll be alright. And," he added with a more cheerful like - soft tone, "I will be right here, by your side. I'm not going anywhere." Wei Wuxian's lips quirked up, resembling a smile.

   Mo Xuanyu smiled, relaxing and closing his eyes and falling asleep.

 Wei Wuxian once again, stayed by his side. 

 And he closed his eyes, guarding over the young boy that had easily found his way in Wei Wuxian's dead heart. 

 

He stayed like that all night.

 

Soon enough, night would turn into dusk, and dusk would turn into dawn.

 

And it would be another day, he - the blood sucking demon Wei Wuxian, would still walk the earth. 

2