Chapter 75: Spreading the Message
37 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

His idea was that her taking the lead would encourage others to follow suit.

Stella looked at Adam, determination written all over her face. "I'm ready," she said.

With a nod, Adam used the skill [Inspect] on the collected beasts, his gaze lingering on one particular level 8 wolf.

Turning back to Stella, he asked, "What's your current level, Stella?"

"Level 6," Stella answered, a slight apprehension in her voice that she quickly masked.

"Perfect," Adam declared, "Meet me at the altar."

He then strolled over to the cart that held the tranquilized beasts. Selecting the level 8 wolf, he lifted it with ease.

The fact that a 9-year-old was able to lift a beast of that size drew astonished gasps from some of the cult members who had gathered around.

Seeing their shocked expressions, Adam grinned. "With enough levels, you too could do something like this, and more. One day, you might even be able to fly. The sky isn't even the limit."

His words ignited a spark of ambition and curiosity among the cultists.

Adam smiled seeing their reaction.

Carrying the beast, Adam approached the altar. Once there, he gently undid the beast's bindings, freeing its legs and mouth.

The wolf was completely tranquilized, its tongue lolling out of its mouth in a sign of deep unconsciousness.

Adam placed the wolf on the altar and secured it with straps. Everything was ready for the upcoming ritual.

Adam swiftly plunged a syringe into the wolf, the concoction within snapping the beast back to alertness.

Its eyes darted around wildly, panic setting in as it began to comprehend its predicament. It started to thrash violently against its bonds, but Adam remained unaffected.

When he'd questioned the hive crafters about the syringe's contents, they'd simply assured him it could wake even the dead. Adam didn't need to know any more.

He had no intention of conducting this ritual with an unconscious beast. The impact he sought wouldn't be the same if the creature was unconscious.

The struggling, terrified beast was exactly what he needed to jolt his cultists out of their complacent Earth-bound mentalities.

He wanted them to witness the sacrifice, to see the wolf’s struggle and understand the brutal realities of their new existence.

They had to accept and live up to their newfound identities as a part of his cult.

Facing his followers, he commanded, "Pay attention and try to remember what happens. Everyone here will eventually take their turn."

From his [inventory], he drew out a sacrificial knife. It was a basic weapon, one that he had commissioned from the hive crafters, and not his Immortal Dream Blade.

He was able to handle it simply because he never intended to wield it in combat. If he had, he'd be writhing in pain from the contact.

Adam offered the dagger to Stella.

"Take this, Stella," he said. "Follow my lead."

He then pulled out his sacred sacrificial scroll from his inventory. Adam quickly scanned through the steps inscribed on it.

Noting that they were akin to the ones he had used for his first sacrifice, he nodded. The steps would be slightly different, adapted to fit a ritual conducted by someone else, but they were familiar enough.

A sense of poetry dawned on him. His first sacrifice had been a wolf, and now his first follower would sacrifice a wolf too.

It felt fitting.

His expression turned serious. The ritual was about to begin.

Adam drew a deep breath, gathering his thoughts and focusing his intent. The frightened wolf lay on the altar beneath them, its eyes wide with fear.

“Stella. I’m beginning. I need you to hold the blade above the wolf.”

Stella, standing beside him, held the sacrificial knife above the beast.

"Under the gaze of death and dreams," he began, ringing with a deep, commanding authority that permeated the air.

"I, Adam, Soul Sovereign, stand as the arbiter of life and death. Stella, my follower, wields the blade under my guidance," he continued, locking his mismatched eyes with the terrified creature.

"In the name of our immortal cult, we acknowledge the mortality of our sacrifices. This wolf, a creature of the wild, a symbol of freedom and untamed power, offers its life willingly under our dominion," he announced, the solemnity of his words resonating in the silent cavern.

He guided Stella's hand holding the knife over the wolf, tracing an intricate path in the air. "This life, bound by the natural law of the wild, now feeds the ever-lasting existence of our cult. Its soul, untamed and free, now bound by the eternal cycle of death and rebirth."

Lowering their hands, he concluded, "In the grand theater of existence, this wolf surrenders its final act to the immortal script of our cult. In my divine name, I accept this sacrifice and offer it to the cosmos."

Taking a final, deep breath, he nodded at Stella, signaling her.

She hesitated slightly, her hand wavered above the wolf, the sight of the struggling creature seemed to strike a chord within her.

But as she turned and met Adam's gaze, he saw the determination in her eyes.

She took a deep breath, turned back to the wolf, and with a surge of resolution, she plunged the knife into the wolf.

Suddenly, his vision was flooded with system messages. It was done.

The sacrifice had been made. Stella had taken her first step on a path he hoped they could tread together.

Adam gained a measly 10xp from the ritual. The wolf had been a tier 0 beast and he was vastly overleveled.

Regardless, he didn’t care about what he personally would gain from the ritual. He was more focused on aiding his cultists.

Stella's excitement was evident. Her eyes were wide and glowing, clearly excited by the system message she had received.

"So, how was it? It wasn’t that bad, right?" Adam asked, observing her reaction.

Stella's grin broadened as she eagerly replied, "When can I do the next one?"

Adam chuckled at her enthusiasm and said, "Soon, but right now it's Aunt Annabelle's turn."

Annabelle, with a stern expression, gently took Stella aside, "Ok, that's enough, honey. We don't have much time."

With a compliant nod, Stella retreated to the side, her gaze still excitedly darting around the room.

Turning to Adam, Annabelle said, "I'm not sure about this sacrificial ritual. But if it gives me the power to protect Stella then I'll do anything."

Adam nodded in understanding. He turned to his followers and announced, "To speed things up, I'm going to need help removing the corpses and replacing them. If you want to help, put your hand up."

As Annabelle completed her own sacrifice, Adam could see a hint of discomfort on her face. He knew she wasn’t entirely sure about the whole thing, but he believed with time, she would come to accept it.

Looking around, he could see the same hesitation mirrored in many others' faces. He decided to lift their spirits. He called on Stella to share her experience gain with the group.

Stella eagerly told the group about the incredible amount of experience and dream coins she had gained from the simple ritual.

This piqued the interest of the others, some of their faces lit up with newfound excitement, while others remained hesitant.

Eventually, after a long and intense process, Adam had conducted a sacrifice for each person present. There were still a few beasts left over.

One of the cult members raised his hand and hesitantly asked, "There are some beasts left... Can we…"

Adam shook his head at the suggestion of the remaining beasts. "We'll leave these for the next group," he said, outlining his plan to swap roles among the hunting, transport, and the sacrificers.

The goal was to establish a rotation, to turn the sacrificial process into a streamlined assembly line.

The experience was taxing, having to patiently guide each person through their hesitation, but he knew it would be a one-off event.

Adam also knew that he couldn’t keep leading these sacrificial rituals himself. He had to find a suitable replacement to carry on this process.

Another issue to be dealt with was the allocation of beasts for sacrifice. He didn’t want to sell the rights to sacrifice the beasts, turning them into goods his cultists could buy.

But, he knew there needed to be a system in place. He just didn't know which route to take.

When it came to his family, though, Adam was determined that they would get their pick of the sacrificial beasts. It would ensure they leveled up faster than the others.

As the long day drew to a close, Adam considered the need to establish a hierarchy within his cult. Temporary roles weren't sustainable.

Once he left the dreamverse, he would sit down with his family and create a rank structure. If the first attempt wasn't satisfactory, they could always revise it.

The tension was palpable when he helped his grandmother with her sacrifice. If she felt any emotions, she hid it well, maintaining her stoic composure.

Looking around, he noticed the growing fatigue among his cultists. Their faces were starting to wear the strain of the day, punctuated by frequent yawns.

It was a signal that it was time to wrap up the day's activities.

Taking a deep breath, Adam prepared to address the gathering one final time for the day.

Adam moved to a higher spot, standing tall with a commanding presence, taking full advantage of his charisma. The crowd's chatter died down as they turned their attention to him.

It was late, they were all tired but excited for what was to come. The green grass under their feet was still stained with the day's sacrifices, a stark reminder of the reality they were facing.

"I want to start by saying that you all did well today. We're charting a course in an unknown world, and you've all shown tremendous courage and adaptability."

His gaze traveled over the crowd, noting the mix of faces.

Employees, rescued strangers, and family, all brought together by their shared circumstance.

"I know this hasn't been easy," Adam continued. "This is a new world, and we're having to find new ways to survive. Ways that might feel strange and difficult, even terrifying. But we face these challenges together."

He let that sink in for a moment before he continued. "Our cult, the Immortal Dream Cult, isn't just about survival. It's about finding our place in this world, helping others find theirs, and standing up for those who can't."

His voice grew passionate. "There are still countless Earthlings out there being exploited, taken advantage of, and living in fear. It's our responsibility to bring them into the fold, to show them there's another way. We can return from death, they can not. We need to stand for them. If you still have friends or family who are undecided about joining us, tell them about today. Show them what we stand for."

As he spoke, Adam could see the change in his people's expressions, the frowns turning into smiles, the uncertain looks being replaced by determination.

His charisma attribute had done its job well, uplifting their spirits. He had once overlooked it, but now he could see its immense value.

"We'll be establishing a hierarchy soon, to ensure our operations run smoothly. But always remember, we're all equal here, united under one goal," he added.

He finally concluded, "Go now and rest. You've earned it. Tomorrow is another day, and we'll face it head-on, as the Immortal Dream Cult. Together, we'll conquer this world."

As his words echoed in the open air, applause erupted from the crowd, their spirits lifted high.

It was a new dawn, a new life, and they were ready to face it, together.

5