Chapter 77: Cult ranks
67 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Melissa concluded their plan. "... That’s how we will go about things. Adam, you won’t have to do much. Leave that to me and Bellie. All we need is your backing once in a while.”

Adam sat in silence for a moment, digesting his mother's words, the depth of strategy and planning that went into this. 

Finally, he nodded in agreement. “It’s clear you two have put a lot of thought into this."

“We have to, Adam," Annabelle added, her voice laced with both determination and worry. “We can't afford mistakes. Any slip-up could make everything worse."

Adam thought, ‘This is Grandma’s last chance. I don’t care much for her influence in the cult right now; the cult is still small. Starting over wouldn't be a problem, but the information she possesses about me... If this plan fails, I'll have to get rid of her for good.’

Adam resolved himself, this was her last chance, any more issues from her and he would end the problem permanently. 

Things were beyond petty arguments, right now she was messing with his family's lifeline. He needed the cult to ensure his family's safety and he didn’t need internal problems kneecapping the cult from reaching it’s potential. 

Adam slowly said, “Okay. I understand, and I'll do what I need to do. But now that we’ve gotten this settled, we need to shift focus. We have to discuss a rank structure for the cult. We need some sort of hierarchy in place before we start recruiting more members."

At that, Stella, who had been silent, attentively following the conversation, seemed to find her spark again. 

She leaned forward, an excited gleam in her eyes. “Oh, finally! Adam, I want my role to be called 'Super Duper Vice Supreme Leader.'"

A laugh burst from Adam, ringing around the room and breaking through the heavy tension. The mood seemed to lighten instantly with Stella's words. 

However, not everyone shared in the joyful atmosphere.

Annabelle, her face etched with concern and the weight of their earlier discussion, shot a disapproving look at her daughter. “Stella, this is a serious matter. Please be serious."

Adam noticed the stress in Annabelle's voice and face. He understood that the plan to confront Matriarch Emmanuel had stirred up a whirlwind of emotions for her.

Adam knew he would need to pull her aside to talk to her at some point.

Smiling gently at Annabelle, he decided to steer the conversation in a more productive direction. "Alright, 'Super Duper Vice Supreme Leader' is off the table, but we really should get into the details of the hierarchy for the cult."

Melissa was the first to speak, "What if we think of it like a business? You could be like the CEO, Adam, and we could have different managers and supervisors."

Yusuf chimed in, "And perhaps a Board of Directors, responsible for major decisions and guiding the direction of the organization."

Stella grinned, "So am I gonna be like the COO or something? I like the sound of that."

Adam, who had been listening quietly, finally interrupted. 

"No, no, no. We are not doing this. We're not a corporation, we're a cult," he declared, his voice carrying a serious tone.

This declaration brought silence in the room as everyone turned to look at him.

"We are not here to mimic some corporation," Adam pressed on, his gaze scanning the faces of his family. "We are something entirely different. We need to break away from this mindset of turning everything into a corporate structure."

"But Adam," Yusuf interjected, "A structured hierarchy is important to maintain order and direction."

"I’m not disputing that, Dad," Adam retorted, leaning forward on the table. "I’m saying we need to create our own, unique hierarchy. One that reflects what we are. We are a cult, not a business venture."

Stella added, "Adam's right. If we use terms like CEO and managers, it won't feel like a cult. It'll feel more like a business."

Annabelle sighed, "I see your point. We need a system that reflects who we are and what we're doing here."

Adam gave a satisfied nod, "Exactly. I’ve researched a bit and I think I have an idea of what to call the ranks."

Adam had given this a considerable amount of thought, and his family leaned in to listen.

"Let's start from the beginning," Adam began, bringing up his first point, "Initiates. When someone first joins us, they're an Initiate. They're new, fresh, untrained. They undergo a period of training, learn our ways, and prove their commitment."

Stella, chimed in, "Like a trial period, huh? You're only in once you've shown us you're serious."

"Exactly," Adam agreed, "And that seriousness, their dedication and loyalty, will allow them to progress."

"I like the sound of that," Yusuf noted, "It makes the entry point accessible yet maintains the seriousness we require."

Adam nodded and moved on to the next stage. "Then we have Acolytes. Fully initiated members committed to our beliefs and practices, accepting the authority of the cult's leader."

"Sort of like being officially a part of the team, once you've proven yourself as an Initiate?" Annabelle clarified, to which Adam affirmed with a nod.

"Yes, and there's more to it," Adam continued, "Some of these Acolytes, the ones who demonstrate exceptional commitment and skill, become Disciples. They serve as mentors and guides for the Initiates and Acolytes."

"That's a smart move," Melissa commented, "It provides a sense of hierarchy and gives the newcomers role models within the cult."

"And from there, we move to Priests," Adam added. "These are the cultists who have undergone advanced training. They conduct our rituals, lead ceremonies etc."

"Quite a significant role," Annabelle murmured, "That's an important responsibility."

"Yep," Adam concurred, "That's why I plan to introduce this role once we have more tier 1 cultists, I need to find someone who has Ritual mastery as a skill for this to be a thing."

Adam continued, "Now, I think it’s critical to have an inner circle. I’m calling it the 'Immortal Council' and will consist of my most trusted advisors and confidants. Aka you guys."

"I want all of you to be part of it," Adam said, locking eyes with each family member. "Your wisdom, and insight are vital to the development of our cult."

"But," Melissa interjected, "what about your grandmother? You know she'll want to be involved."

Adam nodded, acknowledging his mother's concern. "I'm aware, Mum. I fully expect her to demand a seat at the table. However, to reduce her influence, I want to put a voting system in place."

Annabelle raised an eyebrow, "A voting system?"

"Yes," Adam confirmed, "Every policy or significant decision will require a council vote. Each council member gets a single vote and nothing passes without my final approval. That way, we maintain a system of checks and balances."

Melissa nodded, impressed by her son's foresight. "You've really thought this through, Adam."

Adam gave a small smile, "Well, during my journey back to the hive, I had a lot of time to think things through. I want to make sure we're setting ourselves up for success and avoiding potential power struggles down the line."

Yusuf chimed in, smiling, "That's our boy, always ten steps ahead."

Adam scratched his chin, his gaze wandering as he pondered aloud. "So, we've figured out most of the rank structure, but I'm still not sure about the title for the leader of the cult... my role."

He pulled out his phone that he was recently given by his parents, flipping through a list he had researched online. 

"Some names I found online include Hierophant, Patriarch, Sovereign, Prophet, Oracle... There are so many."

Melissa pondered, "Each of these has a different connotation, Adam. It depends on the image you want to project."

Yusuf suggested, "What about something that resonates with authority and wisdom?"

Stella, who was lounging on the couch, chimed in, "Something that sounds cool, you mean?"

Adam chuckled, scrolling down his list until he came across a word. "What about Archon? It's Greek for ruler. It has a certain...something to it. I don’t know what but it appeals to me."

The room fell into silence as they each contemplated the suggestion. Finally, Annabelle broke the silence. "Archon... it does have a powerful ring to it."

Yusuf nodded, "I like it. It's not overused like some of the others, it also doesn’t carry negative connotations to it like the rest. And it has an air of mystery to it."

Melissa agreed, "Archon, it is. It sounds decisive and strong."

Stella clapped her hands together, "Yes! Archon Adam! I like it!"

Adam grinned, clearly pleased with the consensus. "Alright then. Archon it is."

Stella, who had been listening quietly, added, "And I get to be the Vice Archon? Awesome!"

Adam chuckled, "Yes, Stella. You get to be the Vice Archon. You'll be my right hand, assisting in decision-making and serving as a liaison between me and the rest of the cult."

Annabelle added, “I’ll be here to help you honey. At least, until you are a bit older.”

Stella said, “Thanks mum.”

As he finished, he surveyed the room, watching as his family absorbed the hierarchy he had proposed. They understood the intention behind each rank and why they were crucial to their cult. 

He felt a sense of satisfaction. This was a significant step. 'It's good that I've managed to put the ranks in place now. This will form a strong foundation for the cult,' he thought. 

'I'm sure adjustments will be necessary as we progress, but for now, it's a solid start.'

The silence in the room was broken by Annabelle's voice. “Now that we have the ranks sorted out, I want to update everyone on the advertisements we've been running.”

All eyes turned towards her.

“We've been proactive in our advertising, covering all major digital platforms - social media, search engines, streaming platforms, and the like," Annabelle began. 

"We also invested in more traditional modes of advertising, putting up billboards and buying airtime on several TV channels. We've sunk a considerable amount into this, and it's still early days, but it's fair to say that we've stirred up a bit of a buzz. The issue is that it's not necessarily the kind we had hoped for."

Annabelle paused, looking around the room, before continuing, "People are terrified. The apocalypse has thrown everyone into confusion and desperation, but it seems that not many are ready to consider joining a cult as their lifeline. With the recent surge in revelations about the Dreamverse, it has become the widely accepted explanation for our current predicament. So, when we announced that we could offer immortality within the Dreamverse..."

She paused again, sweeping her gaze over her audience, "The response was underwhelming. Fewer people applied than we had anticipated, and rumors have begun to circulate."

Adam, deep in thought, interrupted, "How many are we talking about?"

“Approximately 1,600 applicants. A tiny fraction considering the extent of our advertising."

Adam nodded in understanding, "That's not too bad, honestly. At least we're looking at people who might be more invested."

Melissa interjected, "We can't be certain of that, Adam. A significant portion of these applicants could be trolls or people who signed up impulsively and are now on the fence. We don't have any tangible proof of the cult's ability to offer immortality."

However, Yusuf disagreed, shaking his head, "I don’t see it that way. I’m relieved the number isn't higher. If even 10% of these applicants are serious about joining, that's a positive outcome. Don't stress about the financial aspect, Annabelle. My brothers see the potential in the cult and are willing to invest exponentially more if necessary."

Adam chimed in, agreeing with his father, "Dad’s right. Currently, our cult numbers around 50-60 members. Adding another 100 or so people will significantly enhance our operations and accelerate our leveling up. It'll also reduce grandma's influence."

Annabelle nodded, "100 additional members would be a welcome start, but we need to plan for the future too. What happens when we grow to 10,000? Will we still only get 100 applicants each day? We need to figure out a way to convince the general public that we're legitimate, and I think I know just how to do it."

Adam turned his attention to her, his eyes narrowing slightly in curiosity, "What's your idea, Annabelle?"

The room was once again hushed, all eyes trained on Annabelle.

With a smirk, she declared, “Adam, you need to make an appearance on a talk show. I need you to use that charisma of yours.”

4