Beginning
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cain walked through the dark and hopeless streets of the slums. There were many dilapidated buildings made of red bricks that were once new. The ground was muddy and disorderly, and the air was filled with the smell of decaying waste and decomposing remains. In the distance, he could hear the sound of sirens and the screeching of wheels.

Cain looked around, listening to every sound. He knew that this was where he lived, and he knew that his life would never be easy. He was an orphan, and life in the slums was tough and ruthless. He continued on, passing through dirty streets and abandoned buildings until he finally reached his home.

He entered his room, which was small and dark, with two windows that were boarded up. The bed consisted of several worn-out mattresses glued together. On the floor was a pile of old blankets and rags on which Cain slept. He sat on his bed and put his head in his hands, feeling tired and hopeless.

"It's just like yesterday," he said to himself. "No change."

Lying on his bed, Cain thought about the notice posted on the pole, announcing the army recruitment. The benefits were that you had a chance to awaken esper powers, and if you awakened a useful ability, you could be hired for work.

Tearing the poster off the pole and holding it in his hand, he went home.

He closed his eyes and imagined what it would be like if he could leave here and start a new life. But he knew it was impossible. In this world, the strongest always devours the weak, and Cain was too weak to survive in this place.

Holding the poster in his hands, Cain read it several times, studying each word in search of some hidden meanings. He knew that life in the army could be dangerous and unhappy, but the idea of awakening his abilities caught his attention. He had always dreamed of having some unique power.

However, thinking about the army, Cain could not avoid the thought that life there would not be any better than in the slums. He had heard terrible stories about army training and cruel tests that all recruits had to go through. He did not know if he could withstand such trials.

But despite all this, the idea of having an ability that could help him survive in this ruthless world seemed too attractive. "Maybe I should try," Cain thought, getting up from the bed. He took the poster and walked out onto the street, heading to the place where the army recruitment interview was supposed to take place.

"This may be my only chance," he whispered to himself, continuing to walk. He was ready to risk everything to gain strength.

As he walked, he still looked back at the city he lived in. The slums were only a bad part of the good city. Rich people could afford everything, the real name of the city was Azure Feather, and the Slums were a small part of it.

Azure Feather was like a picturesque poster, an embodiment of elegance and luxury. Its famous white walls with ancient columns and exquisite wrought-iron fences adorned many streets and squares. At every corner, you could see fountains with crystal-clear water and majestic sculptures that testified to the wealth and art of the city.

Azure Feather was known for its magnificent restaurants and cafes, where the most exquisite dishes could only be found here. The city's wealthy residents enjoyed a life full of luxury and convenience, had access to the latest achievements in science and technology, and their homes were built from the most expensive materials.

However, behind this external beauty, there was a dark side of the city - the slums. This was a small part of Azure Feather, where poor people lived. The slums were full of dirt and poverty, there was no beauty or luxury here. Instead, narrow alleys were filled with poor houses and dirty puddles. People who lived here were struggling to survive every day, and their lives were filled with constant struggle and hardship.


The location of the selection process in the Slums was a small square where numerous residents of this city district had gathered. It was surrounded by high fences that blocked it from the view of passersby and was guarded by police to prevent any potential problems.

There was a table in the square where several officials sat and watched all the applicants who wanted to undergo the selection process. Circles of different sizes were drawn on the ground, and each person who wanted to participate had to stand in one of them.

Many people stood around the square chanting loud slogans expressing their dissatisfaction with the army selection process. Many Slum residents were against this idea, seeing it as just another way for the government to use them as pawns in their games.

Despite this, many people still stood in line, hoping to pass the selection process and get a chance at a better life. Among them was Cain, who stood in one of the circles and looked at the officials with hope in his eyes.


 

1