9. Nothing but the Storm.
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had all been going according to plan.

The other night, Al was tracked down by Lily and her party, who seemed to have a change of heart and said they were willing to help him.

Al didn't know why? 

He wanted to say too little, too late.

To act on his feelings of hurt, even if Al didn't understand why he felt so.

But.

He couldn't. It wasn't right. He could hold himself back. He could handle the bitterness.

Plus it would be petty and immature.

Even if he was only 13.

But now, he needed a plan. 

Because their return was another deviation to his original plan.

Though a welcome one. He still needed to account for it. 

After a bit, they exchanged information.

And spent an hour brainstorming. 

Eventually, they came up with a plan. 

First. 

Al had led a group of bandits to where he, a new recruit, had found their 'biggest payday yet.' An incapacitated adventurer. A female incapacitated adventurer. And a Demi-Human at that. 

In their greed for their backer's 'benefits', they didn't even check to see if the woman really was incapacitated. 

Or notice anything odd about their new recruit. 

As such, phase 1 of the plan was successful. 

But it seems Al's luck had finally ran out. 

Or maybe it just kicked in.

Either way. 

As he made his way to the hearth to modify it into the mother of all distractions, he found the mysterious mage. 

Seated on a log near the hearth. As though she was waiting there for him to arrive.

Cursing his luck, Al sat by her as well, knowing it was pointless trying to fight. Especially if she could use any form of combat magic. 

There were some very nasty spells out there. 

And Lady Nana had literally beaten it into his skull just how dangerous an unknown mage could be. 

But.

Maybe he could use this opportunity. 

Suddenly, she spoke:

"I'm a little disappointed. 

The enchanted hearth, while functional, did not eliminate the prana fluctuations that arise due to maintaining a spell over a long period of time. 

Very sloppy as it could alert any magic-user of considerable skill to your presence. 

And that's if you hadn't somehow attracted a Magic Beast. 

Though it's not as though you were expecting to encounter a mage so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. 

The salt barrier was a good touch, though."

Al was confused, was she making small talk? Was she stalling for time? But why?

Maybe preparing a spell. No. She wasn't chanting. 

Magic item? Possible. A quick pulse of prana and the use of his own original spell, proved otherwise. She hadn't even been using magic. 

Then what? 

[To her, you are an unknown. And a mage at that. She is cautious as she does not know the full extent of your capabilities.]

Interesting.

Maybe he could use this to his advantage?

He could try to pull a bluff. Or have her stay here distracted to-

*Achoo*

She turned her head to him. 

Silence enveloped them. 

Of all the times for his stupid cold had to act up. Why now? This couldn't be happening.

*Achoo!!!*

Again!! 

This time, a line of snot flew out of his nostril.

How embarrassing.

'Voice? Voice!' but the only response he got were faint, barely suppressed chuckles.  

Worse yet, Al could feel heat rushing to his face. Desperately, he tried to hide his face from view using his hands. 

The tension in the room seemed to be broken. 

He looked on over to the mysterious mage who deftly took a handkerchief out of her long traveller's cloak, that obscured her features, and tried to hand it to Al.

He almost took it out of courtesy but stopped himself last minute as it could be cursed.

She frowned. 

"You are a very rude boy, you know that?" She spoke and Al could detect a slight hint of anger in her tone. 

She then used the handkerchief herself. But she could have just made it that the curse wouldn't affect her and so, Al did not take it yet again. 

She took off the hood of her cloak and spoke:

"What exactly have I done to have you be wary of me so?" 

But he couldn't necessarily hear her. Al was entranced by her beauty.

She had dark blue hair that would've shimmered in the starlight and shining gray eyes. All of which complimented her fair, fair skin. 

She was stunning.

Extremely so.

And he really, really had to stop his gaze from lowering to her voluptuous figure. 

[Focus you simp.]

Right.

The enemy mage. 

Wiping his snot with his sleeve, Al began to ponder. 

What if.. what if she wasn't his enemy? 

He had assumed she would be hostile to him, but on what basis. Maybe she didn't intend to fight him. Not all mages were confrontational, after all. 

But what if he was being played? 

He couldn't know for sure, and by the silence he was getting, Voice wasn't going to help him out on this one.

She huffed, an action that sent a shiver across his body, and turned around to leave.

No. 

He couldn't let her leave.

No matter what. 

"Wait.....

_______________________________________________

Lily was worried.

The trees had informed her that Kianna, who had infiltrated the bandit camp, had located the mission targets. Now, it was up to her to find the Storm Shielder from wherever it was hidden in the camp.

Guided by the trees, Lily found a floating crystal near the edge of a cave that was suspiciously left unguarded. 

A prototype to what was arguably the greatest magical innovation since the fall of the Old Kingdom during the Year of Tragedy. 

One that was made to counter a Natural Phenomenon which began after the defeat of the Demon King of Wrath by the Late Hero during their climactic battle in the DeadLands. 

A prototype Storm Shielder.

It was smaller than what Lily would've assumed. 

Now, to sit and wait for the signal. But no such signal came and the sun would soon set.

Lily plopped down. Meditating, she tried to reach out to the the Forest Elder and inform him of their plans. She didn't want Al to face harsh repercussions for his actions later. 

The second phase of their plan required the creation of a forest fire using the hearth and a modified flame ritual as a distraction. 

While she had initially been against it, Al assured her the modified ritual would be used to make the flame one that would not burn. 

This would, hopefully, prompt the enemy mage and a few bandits to go investigate. And then, they would make their move. 

Dianna would attack the bandits and retrieve her sister Kianna together with the captured slaves, Marie and Henry. 

Then, they would meet up with Lily and the Shielder. 

________________________________________

Over at the camp. 

Dianna promptly disposed of the final bandit watching over the slaves. Kianna stood guard over the now freed women and sole man. 

After Al had told them the prototype shielder was portable, Kianna had suggested that instead of fighting the entire bandit camp head on, they should save the father and daughter pair, then make way with the shielder and let the storm handle the bandits. A plan they all agreed to. 

She was a little worried when she couldn't sense the fire. Maybe the brat had failed? Maybe the mission had gone wrong? What if every second she spent here, Lily was desperately fighting for her life. Against some unknown human mage.

Goddamn it. Lily was 127 years old, she can handle herself.

Dianna steadied her breathing. She would remain calm and trust in her friend. And the brat too. He could his own, Dianna knew that much.

And if things went south.

She was sure she could handle it. The Moon always seemed dead to Dianna. But tonight. Tonight it felt alive. And it felt great. And she felt powerful.

If things went south, she would weather the storm.

And save her friends.

And nothing. Nothing. Would stop her.

_______________________________________

Kianna felt hot.

She felt as though her insides were on fire. The Moon. She didn't know why, but Kianna knew it had to do with the Moon.

Kianna felt she slightly understood her sister when she said the Moon was alive. Kianna herself wouldn't say it was alive. Everyone knew the Moon wasn't alive. She would say, it was powerful. Tonight. Kianna felt the power of the Dead Moon. 

Not on the level of those who described the Blood Moon, though.

Anyway.

Had the boy messed up? Or maybe an anomaly that deviated her plan.

No matter.

Kianna would proceed as intended.

_______________________________________

Lily's meditation was constantly disturbed by thoughts of the coming Eve. 

The Ghost Storm only lasted a total of about 3 minutes as it travelled the world, and yet it did an incredible amount of damage for the few seconds it manifested in the regions left unprotected. 

Lily shivered at the Storm's raw destructive power.

Almost no lands were left untouched. 

And no one knows why. 

Why the Ghost Storm ravaged the world so. 

What Lily knew, however, was that the bandits didn't stand a chance. 

That thought made her frown. 

And she sent a prayer their way. 

Her pacifistic nature told her that this was wrong. That many lives were at stake. But she was also a realist. With the bandits gone, the people of this region would be free. 

Some sacrifices had to be made for the greater good. 

She sighed. It was thoughts like these that led her to leave the Greater Wilds. 

She couldn't be like the rest of her brethren. Those who would rather wait for a solution to present itself than to try and find one. 

Suddenly, she heard a howl in the distance. She stopped meditating. And promised herself she would speak to the Forest Elder on Al's behalf later. 

Phase 2, while stalled a little, was complete. 

Lily got up. 

Now to wait for the others to reach the meeting point. 

And to hope that Al was okay.

__________________________________

Oh No.

They had been talking with each other for some time now. Her words had peeked his interest. And Al lost track of time. The sun was setting. Eternal Slumber was so close. 

He had to leave.

Now!! 

"That was an enlightening talk, young man. But it would seem someone has stumbled upon something I was supposed to be looking over.

How unfortunate.

But it seems this wasn't a waste of my time after all.

An elf.

This far away from the Greater Wilds.

An opportunity like this will never present itself again. 

But anyway.

I would like to make you an offer. 

One I truly hope you will take. 

If you survive, that is."

And then she just, disappeared.

Al felt a shiver run down his spine.

He felt cold.

He looked up.

And saw the Sun which, had been disappearing into the horizon, freeze, still in the sky.

And everything froze with it. 

And then, there was calm. The type of calm that could only come from absolute silence. 

And for a single second, Al had seen the Sun, in all it's beauty. Clear for the first time in all his life to his eyes. 

A beautiful winged beast. Shining in it's own majesty. Slumbering peacefully.

Beauty. 

Beauty that was, however, tainted by an ugly wound to it's side. 

One that seemed to corrupt. To pollute. As if it was angered by the life-giving force of the Sun's nature. 

[Al, run. RUN NOW!!]

But he couldn't. 

Ghastly cries.

Screams of Anger.

Anger and Hatred.

He read of those screams. Accounts from the one man to ever survive the Ghost Storm unsheltered. Edward. Edward the Mad. 

Who spoke of an Injured Sun and Crying Spirits. A Dead Moon and a Kingdom left forgotten. A Sin. A Sin left unforgiven. 

A Sin that All Mortals must pay for. 

The payment is the Storm. The Storm that is announced to the Mortals by distinct winds. 

The Howling Winds.

Was it too late?

He felt he couldn't move. Was he was still mesmerized by the Sun's ethereal beauty? No. Nothing could move in it's presence. Nothing would dare. 

But he felt calm. 

Even as he was surrounded by the screaming winds.

Al heard.

Heard as the screams of anger and hatred soon bled into a calm sorrow and through it all, Al could feel the spirits grieve. 

This was the calm before the storm. 

Off in the distance, he saw a crow. 

It's piercing black eyes gazing upon him.

He couldn't hear anything anymore.

Nothing but the noise of silence.

He looked to the crow again. 

But he saw nothing.

Nothing but the Storm. 

For reasons unclear to him, Al knew he would survive the Ghost Storm. Whether he would remain sane however, was a different matter. 

Sorry for the late update. School and stuff made this a pain to write. This will be the Second Last chapter of the Beginnings Arc. It will also be the first introduction to the world I have planned. Until next time. Thanks for reading.

1