Chapter 2 Accident
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My family has been renting land from the Monterrey estate for generations. Lord Bruce, the estate owner, is a very stingy man, and the taxes here are high. The farmers work on barren land and have to hand over half of their harvest as taxes.

When my family reached my father's generation, we were caught up in the turmoil of war, and life became increasingly difficult. My father left for the town when I was twelve and never came back. My mother gave birth to four children, including two sisters and a brother for me. The youngest brother, Sam, was only one year old, and only God knows who his father was.

I grew up hungry and cold, longing for the life of an aristocrat and admiring the clean and respectable servants of the Monterrey estate. So when I became a male servant at the estate, I thought I had become an aristocrat and had escaped my poor and dirty life.

But in reality, everything left me speechless.

When I entered the village, people saw me and greeted me, saying:

"Look, Owen's back!"

"The talented young man from the Eric family is back. He's a male servant at Lord Bruce's estate. Look at his clothes, how beautiful!"

"He looks like those noble gentlemen. His wig is so beautiful, like silver."

"Why can he be a male servant at the estate? My son only wants to be a weed-puller, but they won't accept him."

My high heels stepped on the bumpy path, and I finally arrived at the door of my home.

Our family squeezed into a shabby wooden farmhouse with a fence around it. A few old clothes were drying on the wooden cart at the door, and a hen was lazily catching insects.

My mother and sisters warmly welcomed me, and the children were interested in the bread I brought back. But my mother was busy asking me for wages.

My mother was a very fat woman. When she was young, she was very beautiful and was a famous beauty in the area. But since my father left, she has developed a drinking habit and would rather starve than not have a drink.

In my previous life, I hated her because she only asked me for money. She said she would use the money to buy food for my siblings, but in reality, she spent it all on alcohol. My wages were very low, and I had to buy expensive items, so I stopped giving her money after a short time. I didn't even go home anymore and cut off contact with them unilaterally. A few years later, I lost contact with them, and even the neighbors didn't know where they had gone.

"I thought you were joking when you said you wanted to become a male servant at the estate, but I didn't expect you to make it." My mother rambled on, "I'm proud of you, my son. The people in the village envy me. Old man Mo at the village entrance has approached me several times, saying he wants to marry his daughter to you, but I won't agree. His daughter looks like a goat."

Translation: "I have to thank Aaron, the butler of the estate, for giving me the opportunity. I gave all my wages to my mother and instructed her, "Use it to buy food." My mother smiled with joy and carefully hid the money in her apron after receiving it with both hands. She looked at the bread I brought home and said, "Next time, you don't need to bring bread home. Just give me the money, and we will make the bread ourselves."

My younger sister, Angel, was fifteen years old and like a flower just blooming, passionate and full of energy. She touched my coat and asked, "What material is this made of? It feels so comfortable to touch. It must be very warm, right?"

This black and white striped butler uniform was custom-made for the estate and made of expensive wool fabric. Each person had only one, making it my most valuable possession.

"Tell us what the estate is like. What does the Viscount look like? Is the Viscountess beautiful? Do they wear silk clothes?" My younger sister, Elil, asked one question after another.

I smiled and told them about life on the estate. They listened intently with wide eyes. Angel occasionally exclaimed, "It's so wonderful, how enviable. Can I also become a maid inside? Brother, can you ask that Aaron?"

"Being a maid might not work. Those maids have received special training, and they don't want country girls like us."

"But aren't you also from the countryside? How did they accept you?"

I smiled and said, "If the kitchen needs a cook, I'll ask for you."

"I don't want to be a cook. I want to be a maid for the young ladies. I can touch those beautiful and expensive silk dresses and those beautiful jewels."

As I only had a half-day holiday, I quickly left. I hurried back to the Momon estate before three in the afternoon, taking advantage of the warm afternoon sunshine.

The Momon estate was very large. From afar, a pale yellow castle stood in the middle of the vast plain, like a small piece of cheese. But as you approached the castle, you would find how magnificent the entire castle was.

The castle's foundation was square, with three levels and hundreds of rooms, countless identical corridors, and staircases inside. When I first arrived, I often got lost, and it took me a long time to become familiar with the place.

The owner of the castle was Viscount Bruce, who raised four children with his wife. His eldest son, William, had already married, and his wife, Helena, was a wealthy merchant's daughter with a large dowry, but they had been married for many years and still had no children. Among the three young ladies, the eldest daughter, Judith, was already married, and the second and third daughters were still unmarried.

The original life was so calm, without any waves. They, like all nobles, were good at enjoying life, surrounded by laughter and happiness. They tasted delicious food and wine every day, rode horses and hunted, etc."

Upon stepping into the castle, I knew instantly that everything was replaying without any surprise or difference. The servants were on high alert, moving about in a hurry. Simon and maid Anne told me in hushed tones, "Something big has happened. Young William fell off his horse and broke his neck..."

The entire castle was silent that night, and one could occasionally hear low sobbing. The masters were grieving, so the servants stayed up all night, being careful to obey any orders from the masters.

Anne was a pretty junior maid with fiery red hair that matched her passionate personality. Under the dim candlelight, she sewed while softly lamenting, "Haley has been crying all the time, I really hope she can feel better."

Simon sneered, "Of course she would cry. Last week she lost her virginity on Young William's bed and didn't even get a penny. Now that Young William is dead, she really is pitiful."

Anne glared at Simon angrily, "You are such a disgusting person."

"I don't need your evaluation on whether I'm disgusting or not. Right now, we have something more important to worry about. Young William is dead, who will inherit the title of Viscount?" Simon said excitedly, "Those folks above have been trying to please Young William for so many years, groveling like dogs. But in the end, ha ha, it was all for nothing. I bet those senior maids who climbed into Young William's bed are now hiding somewhere and crying."

"Don't think everyone is as despicable as you are," Anne retorted.

"I'm just telling the truth. Does our Viscount have any brothers?" Simon asked.

"Who knows, he should have," Anne said.

"He does," I said, "The Viscount's brother was a Baron who passed away many years ago."

"How do you know that?" Simon asked in surprise, "Does the deceased Baron have a son?"

I looked at the flickering candlelight and nodded slightly, "Yes, there is a young master who has inherited the Baron title."

"How old is he? Is he married? Does he have children? What kind of person is he?" Simon asked eagerly.

"How would Owen know all these? We'll find out when the gentleman arrives at Momen Manor," Anne said indifferently.

The candle burned, making soft crackling sounds. I looked at the candle and felt a little absent-minded, "Yes, we'll know everything when he arrives."

0