01
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The First Breath of Spring was a thing of beauty, walls shiny and new, its floors still spotless even as Jennifer Li tread over them. What a marvel of a thing, bigger than any ship she'd ever served on before, and all hers.

Commander Solaris followed behind listing off everything they would be required to do before commencing their new mission.

"The medical bay must be checked before departure," Solaris said.

"Indeed, Dr Pill is already undergoing an inspection of the new facilities," Jennifer replied.

"The engines must also be checked."

"I'll leave that to the engineer. He is more qualified than I am."

"Stores of supplies must be double checked."

Jennifer looked back at Solaris, tall and severe in the hallway behind her. Solaris did loom a little, ever so slightly hunched over as if to hide her stature but somehow only enhancing it.

"I think we'll let the first check of that finish before we commence a second check, Mr Solaris. There's something I'd like to look at before that."

Solaris looked up from her check-list. "Sir?"

"Follow me."

They walked without speaking the rest of the way to the elevator. Solaris seemed like she was used to walking a step behind her commanding officer. Jennifer was already calculating how she would train her to stop that.

The ride to their destination was quick. The doors opened on the bridge, still dark but dimly lit from the lights of North Port station outside. It was so big, so bright. Even in the poor light Jennifer could see the patterned floor and white textures of the equipment and walls.

Finally, the lights turned on, so disconcertingly bright that Jennifer had to blink against the adjustment. Solaris, standing by her station, showed no sign of disorientation at all.

"Isn't it beautiful, Commander Solaris?" Jennifer asked.

"It is sufficient to our needs."

"Call me Jen. My friends do."

"If you don't need me, Captain Li, I will check the science labs."

Jennifer grinned. She knew she would wear Solaris down. "Go. Enjoy yourself."

Solaris muttered, "I do not check them to enjoy myself," before the sound of the elevator doors closing cut her off.

Jennifer looked back to her captain's chair, pastel and plump in the middle of the room, facing the big screen. She took a moment to sit and wonder at getting there so soon. She only allowed herself a few minutes to breathe in the smell of the room and take it all in.

She stood. Said, "Enough indulging yourself, Jen." Then straightened her dark purple uniform tunic and turned back to her responsibilities.

0