Vol 6. Chapter 36: Blood of the Unyielding
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hm… I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. She actually pulled it off…”

“I told you. It was a guaranteed win from the beginning.”

“It does seem that way. She is still a little green, but I highly doubt anyone else would’ve survived the dangers she just saw.”

“Yeah?”

“Her way of handling the spectral gear improved considerably since yesterday’s test run… it’s only been a day, yet her implementation of it was brilliant. Going by the academy’s reports, the girl’s dedication to her training is unmatched, but even so… I can’t say I’m not impressed.”

“Happy to hear it, but I wasn’t.”

“Oh?”

“She looks at them like a common pair of firearms… just shooting whatever is in front of her. That use of the spectral gear will only get her killed when things get serious, though I can’t really blame her… I did make them look like pistols.”

“What about her ring? She doesn’t wear it for what I know. Did you see anything?”

“Nothing at all. Whatever’s inside seems to be dormant for now… guess we’ll have to wait and see.”

“I could bring her in for… a quick inspection if you think it’s necessary. We’ll seize the ring for you.”

“No need, that is something I will handle myself in due time. I want to focus on her training at the moment.”

“Yourself? You plan on meeting the girl?”

“Eventually… why? Are you jealous?”

“Seems there’s nothing important for us to discuss anymore, if you’ll excuse me.”

“I was such saying…”

Center of the Deadlands: 936, December 31st, Monday, 9:30 AM.

“My feet hurt…” Gal complained, tired of the long and arduous trip towards the northern region of the Deadlands. “Hey, yellow man… do you want to carry me instead?”

“I’m injured…”

The group’s journey seemed endless, as nothing but dust, rocks and fog accompanied their path. Tori had fallen asleep on Scott’s back, both of them riding the spectral bike next to the others. Eutychia endured with a stoic look, refusing to reveal any sort of discomfort to the group. Nodding off on Maulik’s shoulder, Claire kept one eye open while closing the other, alternating between the two just to remain awake.

“You could just… sleep, you know.” The hybrid told her.

“I am… sleep…”

“Right…”

“Hehe!” Gal chuckled suddenly. “Just wait ‘til we tell Gigi about this! He’ll be so impressed with me!”

“Gigi?” The black knight raised an eyebrow—followed by a reply from Maulik.

“Our master, Ninigi. We thought we’d find him somewhere near the center, that’s when we found King and the others. We’ll take you all back first, and then wait for him back home.”

“…” Eric clenched his jaw, emitting a silent grunt that only Gal could hear.

“Something wrong, yellow man?”

“About your master…” he gulped down, the uncertainty behind his eyes not going unnoticed by the male hybrid. “Our group found him not too long ago…”

“Oh, cool.” Gal interrupted. “But why did Gigi not accompany you? He would’ve certainly told you to leave the Deadlands at least. Isn’t he the coolest?”

“He was… injured.”

Eric proceeded to explain the state of the gladean knight at the time Bloodhound found his body, receiving a long interrogation from Maulik, and the glare of a furious Gal in return. His words did not sit right with the girl, who in a sudden outburst, nearly dropped him into the ground. She branded the noble a liar, though her tantrum was quickly stopped by Maulik, who reminded her of the already wounded state of their master long before arriving at the Deadlands. Their heated argument awakened Tori and Claire, both confirming the words of the young noble to Gal’s discontent.

The atmosphere suddenly shifted after Bloodhound’s revelation, as the chirpy hybrid girl barely spoke a single word—her face as stiff as a statue. Though unexpectedly, and to the group’s dismay, the girl’s frustrated attitude would quickly become the least of their problems. They arrived at an old abandoned outpost from Cerberus, its age shown by the small crumbled building and broken walls surrounding it. A few inoperable vehicles still remained, some displaying Cerberus’ three headed dog, while others showcasing the symbol of a now allied entity—Hydra.

Without realizing it, the group had arrived at one of the oldest checkpoints created within the Deadlands—when its fog had yet to emerge from the ground’s fissures, and the specters still lurked in the shadows of their own home. However, while its defenses were built to last, the well protected base became the tomb of many forgotten soldiers—all fighting under the banner of their company or nation. One of them was a young woman known as Viktoria, who’s small battalion was quickly routed by the demons in a massacre that never left the walls of the Deadlands.

“I don’t like this place…” Eutychia muttered.

“Viktoria?” a girly voice suddenly mentioned the name of woman—taking the group by surprise.

They all turned towards it, lowering their gazes to meet the small girl that looked around the checkpoint with great concern. Claire called to her with a few whispering words, too tired in both mind and body to speak firmly. Despite her worries, the girl was quick to comply with a sad groan, climbing through Maulik’s leg to cling herself to the lieutenant’s back—desperate to rid herself of the tight knot in her chest.

“Stay close, alright?” Claire told her with a smile. “We are not out just yet.”

“Who the hell is that?” the princess asked—receiving an immediate reply from Tori.

“Her name is Lucy, she—”

“Will perish alongside all of you…”

“…!”

The eyes of Bloodhound and the hybrids widened at the rough and heavy voice of a man, his frightening tone planting fear in their shocked and confused minds. They cautiously turned their heads to face him, settling their gazes in the intimidating presence of a foe they thought defeated. His tunic had been shredded by Claire’s crimson ray, leaving at full display his horrifically burned skin. Some of his limbs were covered with the black exoskeleton of the specters, a mutation that had saved the giant’s life from certain death. The once azure steel of his blade was now tainted with the same crimson glow of his eyes, exposing the farce behind the blade’s purity, and revealing its true nature as a false replica of the champion’s unique sword.

His mauled appearance caused their hearts to pound uncontrollably, with the nasty gargling noises emitted by his breaths turning their stomachs. However, still determined to rid of King’s threat, Eutychia stepped forward to lead the group’s assault with the black steel of her sword. The hybrids proceeded to lower both Claire and Eric near the spectral bike, trusting Scott and Tori with their safety before running to confront the giant.

“Wait…” Claire stood up—her arm caught instantly by a frail tiny hand. She lowered her gaze, and met the crimson glowing eyes of Lucy staring at her with concern. “Return to my gear, Lucy.” She told her, kneeling down to offer a confident smile. “…!”

Just before she could offer any words to the girl, the sudden clash of steel caught the lieutenant off guard, forcing her attention to the fight that had just begun between the hybrids and the daemon. The trio held their own against King with synchronized attacks, yet the recent news about Ninigi still lingered in Gal Maulik’s minds—fighting with the knowledge that their master may not arrive in their aid.

Claire looked at Lucy once again, lowering her brows before nodding to the girl with a determined expression. “We will all leave this place alive, Lucy.” She stated. “Be a good girl and do as I say, alright? This is not my first time dealing with a situation like this.”

“Hm…” Lucy moaned, unable to suppress her concerns.

“Now hide,” the lieutenant stood up before turning to Bloodhound—their faces just as worried as the girl’s. However, even with her body begin her for a rest, Claire’s lips curved into a confident smile that showed little fear in her fears. “Sorry for this, but… I just can’t help it at this point.”

“Should’ve seen it coming…” Eric jumped back on his feet, reading the taser he borrowed from Tori. “It’s not any of us have a choice, right?”

“Here we go again…” Scott released an exasperated sigh, loading his rifle of black painted steel before inspecting what little ammunition he had left. “I may not have much to offer, but I rarely miss my shots. Just give the order, lieutenant.”

Refusing to stand and do nothing for her team, Tori stepped closer to the group with a small combat knife in hand—its high-quality blade sharpened to perfection like a scalpel. “Sorry if I can’t be of much help, but I’ll be ready for anything, lieutenant!”

“Thank you… ah…” While addressing Bloodhound, a sudden thought crossed the lieutenant’s mind. She once again lowered her eyes to look at the highly concerned girl next to her, stubbornly refusing to leave her side. “Actually… Lucy, do as I say and return to the spectral gear.” Her brows furrowed at the idea that had just brewed inside her head. “I need you to do something for me, okay? But as a member of Bloodhound, I need you to listen to me. I will give you the signal, understood?”

“Yes!” the girl nodded in response, just before her body dissipated into tiny particles of crimson light.

“Bloodhound!”

“Ma’am!”

Claire materialized Juno and Jupiter in her hands, their crimson glow eager to face off the daemon one more time. “Begin the assault...”

END OF CHAPTER

0