Chapter 4: Towards The Empire!
88 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside of Cerberus HQ: 936, January 17th, Wednesday, 5:00 AM

Located in between the gigantic wall of concrete, Cerberus HQ served as a portal to access the Deadlands and the center of operations for the heads of the company as well as the home of their army.

“What do you think she’ll be like?” A woman of red hair asked, her gentle green eyes filled with wonder. She wore the black and gold uniform made for the newly established Cerberus special forces.

“Hmm, I don’t know. She is the same rank as you, which means she is one rank below me...” A man of dark skin, short black hair and dark brown eyes answered, wearing the same black and gold uniform. “That means I’m the senior here.” He smiled smugly, pushing his glasses.

“But not the leader,” Tori giggled.

“Don’t laugh...”

“Oh, here she comes!”

Claire left HQ through the massive gate and came in contact with the pair waiting for her outside. Having received her new assignment, she was issued the black and gold uniform of her unit and appointed the leader of the new special forces.

Both officers stood firm and saluted at her before introducing themselves.

“Second lieutenant, Tori Endel. A pleasure meeting you, ma’am!” The redhead introduced herself with an enthusiastic smile.

“First lieutenant, Scott Foley. At your service!” The dark-skinned man followed with confidence.

Introducing herself right after, Claire continued the meeting with a quick interrogation to her newly founded team.

“Second lieutenant… Are you a fresh graduate as well, Endel?” She asked with no emotion.

“Ah, y-yes, ma’am,” Tori stuttered at the sudden question. “I served as a medic during the last operation in the Deadlands, that was my first experience fighting specters,” she responded. “And please call me Tori,” she finished with a smile.

“You are a first lieutenant,” Claire turned to Scott immediately after. “How much experience do you have?”

“One year, ma’am. That said…” he scratched the back of his head. “I was mostly stuck in in guard duty and camps or distributing supplies,” he mentioned nervously. “My only experience with specters was our last operation, when we took down the belfry,” he concluded.

Claire’s eyes opened wide in surprise. “What, that means…”

Both Scott and Tori looked at each other and back to Claire, who rubbed her forehead with her hand. “This can’t be right...” she claimed in disbelief.

“I-it’s a little odd they call us special forces, right?” Tori said with a shaky smile while trying to remain positive.

“More like the errand squad...” Scott fixed his glasses with a disappointed look.

Claire rapidly shook her head and refocused her thoughts to the task at hand. “It doesn’t matter, we have a mission to carry. Are you both ready?”

“Yes, lieutenant!” Scott and Tori roared.

The new group comprised of Claire Lionheart, Scott Foley and Tori Endel, was a new special forces unit created by the new CEO of Cerberus. Given the name, Bloodhound, their purpose was to operate outside of the Deadlands under his direct orders. With their first objective taking them to the empire to the east.

Bloodhound was picked up by a truck and driven to Kaldstein’s port, where they will board their ship towards the empire. Claire sat at the front sit, with Scott and Tori sitting in the back.

“What’s your background, Tori?” Claire suddenly turned to look back at her.

“Me?” Tori jumped with surprise. “Uh… well, it’s not that interesting really…” She claimed while deep in thought. “I come from the kingdom of Heildin, I have great medical skills so... I decided to help in the fight against the specters by joining the academy,” she answered nervously.

“Heildin? I see,” Claire directed her attention towards Scott next. “How about you?”

“I come from Pelkesk, far south of Hemel,” Scott answered. “I’m here for personal reasons, actually. You don’t need me to tell you, right?” He scratched his head with a nervous smile.

Claire narrowed her eyes, but didn’t push any further. “Fine, anything else you can tell me?”

“Well, I want to help in the fight against the specters too; same as Tori. We actually know each other from the academy,” he claimed with while turning to her.

Tori nodded with a beaming smile on her face, “that’s right! Scott was my senior during our time there, now I wish we would’ve met you too, lieutenant. Do you like, poetry?”

“Do you like, videogames?”

With an abrupt change of subject, both Tori and Scott simultaneously asked while leaning forward, taking Claire off guard.

“Uh?” Her face remained perplexed as the inside of the truck was filled with silence. The awkward sound of the truck’s engine roaring as Claire tried to process the questions thrown at her, the pair patiently waiting for her answer.

“Ah… well…” Unfamiliar with the amount of attention she was receiving, Claire took a quick breath before giving her answer. “I... used to read some romance when I was at the academy, I guess...” She answered with a frown, turning to face the road instead.

“Really!”

“Damn…”

Tori jumped with excitement, while Scott sank on his sit.

“You have to recommend me some of your favorites, lieutenant!” Tori leaned forward trying to get Claire’s attention.

“Wait, you can’t ju—” A flustered Claire turned to face back once more, helplessly trying to maintain a strictly professional environment.

“I’m being left out, huh…” Scott sank even more, as if being devoured by his seat.

“This isn’t a game; we should be discussing our miss--“              

“We’ve arrived,” the driver interrupted Claire.

Bloodhound left the truck, arriving at the largest port in the continent, Kaldstein’s port. Multiple beautiful cruise ships docked at the pier and ready to set sail, even an old looking pirate ship which they assumed was only for show could be spotted from their position.

An employee in charge of Bloodhound approached the trio with a beaming smile. “Hello and welcome, my name is uh, Jane!” The green-eyed, fair skin girl with dark brown hair tied in a low ponytail introduced herself. “I’ll be taking care of your luggage, please proceed inside the building for your check-in.”

“Wow, are we traveling in first-class?” Tori said with her hand over her mouth, impressed by the service.

“As expected from a company like Cerberus!” Scott nodded in approval. “But can you really carry all of this?” he asked in concern for the frail looking girl.

“Don’t worry! Me and my crew will take care of everything!” She cheered with one eye closed and a thumbs up.

Not fond of parting with the spectral gear, Claire reluctantly handed over her case and continued inside the building for the check-in. Still having plenty of time before boarding their vessel, Bloodhound enjoyed a nice meal at the port.

“So, what books do you enjoy reading, lieutenant?” Tori asked with her elbows on the table and her chin resting in her hands.

Claire’s mind remained with her gear and the mission however, staring at the distance with her head resting in her palm.

“Lieutenant?”

“Hm?” Claire snaped back from her own thoughts and sat firmly in her chair. “Sorry, I got distracted,” she claimed with a cool voice.  “Favorite books? I enjoy reading about the legends of the champion and the Gladean Knights.” She answered in a business-like manner, as if being interviewed for a job.

“Interesting,” Scott interjected, pushing his glasses up and leaning forward on the table. “Some people believe the champion to be nothing but fairy tales,” he mentioned.

While not letting it show, the statement made Claire’s eye flinch in vexation. “Don’t the legends prove otherwise?”

“Well, we don’t have much outside of old tales,” Scott responded. “Although it is common belief that he once walked among the people.”

“Many statues about the champion are made in Hemel,” Tori added. “But his looks are different depending on where you--”

“Prepare to board the ship immediately!” Jane, Bloodhounds care taker swooped into the conversation with a wide smile in her face, startling the group off their seats.

Making their way outside, Bloodhound is left in front of a beautiful large cruise ship. Tori and Scott found themselves lost for words while looking at the elegant vessel, already picturing their trip to the empire in such a magnificent and fancy cruiser.

“You both ready?” Claire asked.

“Of course!” The pair chanted in unison and moved towards the cruise ship, salivating at the delicious food they’ll be served, the luxurious massages they’ll receive and the fancy parties they will assist.

“Where are you going?” Claire called out with a disoriented expression in her face.

“Uh?” Both Scott and Tori froze in their tracks to look back at the lieutenant.

Pointing behind with her thumb, Claire presented her team the ship they will board for their trip towards the empire. A fairly large wooden sail ship, with holes on the side where cannons would be placed, multiple sails installed with all of them displaying the image of a gigantic blue lobster.

“That’s our…” The light left Tori’s eyes as she stared open mouthed at the vessel.

“There is no way this thing is allowed to sail...” Scott’s shoulders dropped; an unimaginable level of disappointment stamped in his eyes.  “Can we get a refund?”

“Hm?” Claire looked back at the wooden ship; her expression filled with innocence as she tried to comprehend the disapproving reactions of her team. “What’s wrong with it?” she turned back to them with wonder.

Kingdom of Heildin, Capital City: 936, February 5th, Monday, 6:00 AM

The kingdom of Heildin, a prosperous region in the middle of the Hemel continent. Reigned by king Date, the lands prospered and lived in peace for many years. Hearing about Cerberus’ success in destroying their first belfry, king Date called upon the many leaders and influential figures of the continent to discuss the company’s future and the fight against the specters.

Inside a luxurious hotel, Arwen prepared for the conference with the help of Yeon. Having being summoned to defend the company, maintain Cerberus afloat and garner as much support as possible from the rest of the representatives.

“Ready for the conference?” Yeon asked.

Arwen adjusted his tie and glasses. “As ready as ever,” he said enthusiastically.

“Then you better prepare fast.”

“I mean yes, I am.”

Yeon groaned softly. “I feel like I should go with you…” she expressed with concern. “Are you sure you won’t mess this up?”

Arwen dropped his shoulders at the lack of faith put in him. “I am no expert, but all I have to do is follow the plan.” He exclaimed with a smile, “let’s head out; don’t want to be late.”

The pair left their hotel and into the busy streets of the capital city of Heildin. The place was bustling with activity, people walking from place to place into fancy looking stores or elegant restaurants and a fresh breeze that contrasted with the cold winds of Kaldstein.

“Pretty modern huh?” Arwen said. “So, what have you heard of this king Date,” he inquired.

“Same as you, don’t mess it up.” Yeon answered, her mind remaining with her doubts in Arwen and the conference.

“I got it, I got it.” He swung his hand back and forth, trying to clear Yeon’s doubts. “Well, this is where we part ways; you want any souvenirs?” He asked playfully.

“You are getting way too much into this…”

Arwen chuckled before entering the car parked in front of him, “I’ll see you when I see you then.” He said with a smile before departing.

Somewhere in the Deadlands: 936, February 5th, Monday, 6:00 PM

Due to the Deadlands extreme conditions, vegetation and any sort of life was unable to grown in the region. The scorched earth and thick fog covered the entire zone, combined with the crimson sky above.

The silver-haired figure casually strolled around the place, “this should do it.”

A powerful earthquake shook the ground suddenly, the fissures on the earth began to glow with an intense crimson light. A massive crater opened in the ground and from within its depths, an imposing tower rose into the red sky.

A belfry stood tall in front him, massive hordes of specters began to gather around it, completely ignoring his presence. Behind him, a large creature slowly emerged from within the dark depths of the Deadlands.

A colossal monster of terrifying size and appearance, its intimidating muscular body protected by the exoskeleton with black matted hair on its shoulders and back. A head resembling the skull of a deer with large horns, glowing crimson eyes and a massive core resting on its chest.

“You should be enough, don’t disappoint me now.” The silver-haired figured grinned as the gigantic monster continued its path towards the belfry.

END OF CHAPTER

4