Chapter 1: An Evening of Anxiety and Love
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time the couple arrived at their small village, the moon was high in the sky, casting a silver glow over the home. They approached their modest house and were greeted by the sight of a young girl playing with their son in the front yard. It was their neighbour's teenage daughter, who had been babysitting for them during their absence.
"Thank you so much for taking care of him," the husband said, grateful for the girl's help.
"It was no problem at all," the girl replied with a warm smile. "He's such a sweet little boy. And...is that him? Does … Does he have four arms? Am I seeing it right”
As the husband nodded proudly, the teenage girl's eyes widened with amazement. She had never seen anything like it before.
"Wow," she breathed, her gaze transfixed on the baby's four arms. "He's incredible. I've never seen anything like it."
The husband smiled, relieved to see the girl's reaction. He had been worried that people would react with fear or disgust, but her wonder and amazement gave him hope that others might be accepting too.
"He's a special boy," the wife said, her voice full of pride. "We're going to do everything we can to make sure he has a happy life."
Eventually, the five of them made their way inside, the teenage girl held the door open for the couple, who were carrying their new baby and the toddler. They made their way to the cradle sitting in the corner of the room, which not until long was being used by their two-year-old. With gentle hands, the mother lowered the four-armed baby into the cradle, and the toddler climbed up beside him, inspecting his new sibling with curiosity. Of course, he was not the only one.
The teenage girl's eyes lit up whose eyes were let up with excitement for quite some time could not hold it any longer as she approached the cradle. She looked down at the baby, marvelling at the sight of his four arms. "Oh, my goodness," she whispered, "I can't believe it. He's so beautiful."
The husband and wife exchanged a tired smile, feeling a sense of relief that someone appreciated their child's uniqueness. "Thank you," the wife said softly, "we think so too."
The teenage girl continued to stare at the baby in awe, admiring the way he moved his arms and fingers. "Can I … Can I hold him?" she asked, turning to the couple with a hopeful expression.
The husband hesitated, unsure if it was safe for someone else to hold their new born child. But the wife spoke up, "Just for a moment. But be gentle."
The teenage girl carefully scooped the baby into her arms, feeling the weight of his four arms against her chest. She cradled him close, whispering sweet words of love and admiration. The baby seemed to sense her affection, snuggling closer to her.
The husband and wife watched with a mixture of nervousness and gratitude, seeing their son in someone else's arms for the first time. But as the teenage girl handed the baby back to them, they felt a sense of peace
The Peaceful moment was interrupted by a loud voice from outside the house. It was the girl's mother, calling for her to come home immediately.
"MARY … MARY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE? COME HOME RIGHT THIS INSTANT! IT’S ALREADY LATE!" the mother shouted, her voice echoing through the night.
Mary looked at the couple apologetically. "I'm sorry, I have to go," she said in a rushed manner.
The wife quickly pulled out a silver coin from her pocket and handed it to Mary. "Please take this, it's not much, but it's our way of thanking you for all your help," she said.
Mary's eyes widened in surprise at the sight of the shiny coin in her hand. "I couldn't possibly accept this, it's too much," she protested.
The husband smiled at her. "Please, take it. You deserve it," he said.
As Mary reluctantly accepted the coin, the mother's voice grew louder outside. "MARY ! I SAID COME HOW NOW. WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?" she shouted again.
Mary gave the couple a quick nod of gratitude and headed outside, her heart beating fast. As she walked away from the cottage, she heard her mother's angry voice getting fainter and fainter in the distance. She could not wait to show her family the silver coin.
As the teenage girl left, the couple turned to their 2-year-old son Nathanielle, who staring at his new sibling with a mix of curiosity and confusion. "Nathanielle, do you like being a big brother?" asked the mother, gently stroking his hair.
Nathanielle nodded, his big brown eyes widening. "Baby," he said, pointing at the new born in the cradle next to him.
"That's right, you're a big brother now. You have to take care of your little brother," said the father, ruffling Nathanielle’ s hair.
The mother asked, "Did you have fun playing with the neighbour girl while we were gone?"
Nathanielle smiled and nodded enthusiastically. "Sisi nice," he said, referring to the girl by the nickname he had given her.
The parents laughed at their son's cute attempt at forming sentences, and the father said, "Well, you have to be a good big brother and take care of Sisi too, okay?"
“Mama Nathanielle Hungry” The couple's heart sank as Nathanielle tugged at their sleeves and whined for food. They had been so preoccupied with the new baby's arrival that they completely forgot about Nathanielle’ s mealtime. They searched their empty pantry and cupboards, but there was nothing to be found. Knowing that the markets would be closed until morning, they decided to seek help from their neighbours.
The couple made their way to Mary's house, a few doors down from their own. When Mary's mother opened the door, she was annoyed at the late hour and their sudden appearance. However, upon seeing the desperate look in their eyes, her expression softened.
"What do you want at this time of night?" she grumbled.
"Ma'am, we were hoping to ask for some food for Nathanielle," the husband replied humbly. "We forgot to stock up on food and he's been hungry all day." The wife added.
The mother eyed them both wearily, but then her gaze fell on the silver coin that the wife had given Mary earlier in the day. The coin was worth more than a week's worth of groceries for her family.
"Come in," she said, gesturing them inside. "Mary, go fetch some bread and milk for the child. You can sit and eat with us if you'd like."
The couple was grateful for the offer, but they insisted on paying for the food. The mother refused their money, saying that they were always welcome to come over and share a meal with her family.
As the couple entered Mary's house, they were greeted by the smell of roasted chicken and freshly baked bread. Mary's mother welcomed them with a warm smile and invited them to sit down at the table. Nathanielle was excited and ran towards the food, but the wife stopped him and said, "No Nathanielle, first we have to thank our hosts for their kindness."
Mary's mother chuckled and said, "Don't worry about it, child. We have plenty to share. Now, tell me how are you all doing? How is the new born?"
The wife smiled and replied, "We are doing well, thank you for asking. The baby is healthy although. He is a little-Special."
“Little Special… Mama he is a lot special. He has four arms. It is so amazing when he moves those little arms and-” Mary could not hide her excitement.
Mary's mother looked surprised but then smiled and said, "Well, isn't that something? That's a blessing from the gods."
The husband and the wife shared a look of relief. It was always a concern for them how their child's appearance would be received in the village.
As they all enjoyed the food, Mary's mother inquired about the health of the mother and the new born, asking about the birthing process and if the midwife was able to provide any assistance. The wife shared her experience and Mary's mother listened with interest and gave her own advice based on her experience of raising five children.
After dinner, Mary's mother packed some food for the couple to take back home, insisting that they take it as a token of her appreciation for their generosity. The couple thanked her and promised to repay her kindness soon. By the time the couple left , Nathanielle was already asleep.
As they walked, Aiden could not help but noticed but notice the anxiousness on Lillian’s face. "I know it's tough, but we'll make it through. We have each other and our children, and that's all that matters." Aiden whispered to Lillian.
She leaned her head on his shoulder and sighed. "I know, but I can't help but worry. The villagers will surely talk about our child's unusual anatomy, and I fear they will see us as outcasts."
Aiden squeezed Lillian's hand. "We'll face it together, just like we've faced everything else. And it is not a bad thing you know. I mean , I cannot tell you the number of times I have wished to have four hands. You cannot imagine , how great of a warrior our child could be. I mean he can carry a spear , a shield"
Lily smiled weakly. "I hope you're right."
As they arrived at their home, Aiden gently placed Nathanielle on the bed, tucking him in. Lillian watched them, with a warm feeling in her heart.
"I love you," she whispered to Aiden.
"I love you too," he replied, kissing her on the forehead. "We'll get through this, I promise."

0