Chapter 6: Unforeseen Visitor
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A couple of months have passed since Aiden started teaching his kids swimming. Aurelian and Nathanielle have progressed quite well, and now they are moving on to the topic of diving and building a higher lung capacity.

Aiden, on the other hand, has been busy taking care of the kids and spending less time on the farm. This has not gone unnoticed by the other villagers, who are becoming increasingly suspicious of the family's activities.

One day, while they were having dinner, they hear a sudden knock at the door. Little Aurelian runs up to the door and opens it. “MOM” he yells. Standing in front of him was an old man who appeared to be in his seventies. Lillian slowly approaches to the door , while tying her hair into a knot as she walked.

Not knowing who the man in front of him was, she took a pause for a second after slowly letting a meek voice out of her mouth. “Yes” Poor Lillian had barely any interaction with the outside world , not like she hated going outside but because she has mostly been busy with the house chores and anything like brining groceries and stuff Aiden would do it.

The Man standing there took a deep stare at Aurelian’s four hands. His Gaze did not go unnoticed and Aurelian quickly hid behind his mother’s back. Gently tugging to her apron.

 “May I ask what you are here for ?” Lillian asked in a slightly stern but still voice , displaying her dissatisfaction over the man staring at her child.

Noticing the commotion Aiden himself left the dinner table and showed up to the doorway. “What happened Honey ? What is taking you so long” he said while walking up to the place. The Man standing in front of him was the village head , Aiden knew that he would not turn up here without anything serious happening. His expression quickly turned grim. “Lily , take Aurelian to the bedroom. Mr Garther, please come this way.”

The two of them walked up to the dinner table and the old man was quick to apologise for disturbing them in their daughter. But since Aiden seems to return only at around evening , it is hard to meet him.

“I have been trying to talk with you for a while. But the timing was not right. Finally, I could no longer put it to next day. And I had to come.”

“Is there something wrong ?” Aiden asks with concern in his voice.

“You have not been coming to the farm for the past 2 months. Is there anything wrong Aiden. Maybe I could offer some help” Mr. Garther asked with a very soft voice , his voice filled with concern.

Aiden takes a deep breath and replies “Nothing I have been teaching my Kids how to swim. I made quite the sum during the previous season so it is nothing to worry about.” As Aiden answered his question, he could notice the uninterested expression in Mr Garther’s eyes. “This is not about it. Is it ?” he asked , his body getting a little aggressive.

Just then Lillian returned , with a tray of cookies and teas. She gently places that on the table and sits by Aiden’s side. “We do not get many visitors. So, I was a little surprised , Cookies ?” she said , moving the tray slightly in Mr Garther’s direction.

“Since you want me to be direct about it , Aiden. I will be direct. Aiden you are a nice man. You do your job for the past 2 years or so there were almost no conflicts that evolved you. And it has been wonderful but there have been a lot of rumours around you lately. And it looks like some of them are true.”

“Mr Garther if it is about my son, Aurelian having four arms. Then it is true. He was born like that. He is not a demon. I love my wife and she love me as much; she would never cheat on me. Aurelian has no demon blood inside of him. That is all there is to the story.” Aiden was anticipating this ; he has been ready for this and he was angry at the villagers for the moment. 

The village head nods and says “Look Aiden ! I am not here to accuse your wife or anything like that. She is a wonderful mother and I am sure is a wonderful wife. But can you explain how this child have four arms. I am nearing seventy and I am sure I have plenty of life experience. I have never seen anything like him before.”

“Neither did we. He must be a gift from God. I do not understand one thing why are the calling him a demon , gods in scriptures also have multiple arms. Could he not be an angel.”

The Old man takes a sigh and says “You and me both know; demons are more believable than god”

For a Moment anger seemed to have taken over Aiden’s body. His eyes widened ; his veins began to pop up. His ears were getting hotter. Just then Lillian gently placed her hand on top of his. Aiden quickly melted down ; he knew he had to discuss if not know then sometime later. Aurelian also has to step outside in the world someday. They cannot fight every single person.

After taking a long breath Aiden finally spoke “Fine , Mr Garther have you ever perhaps seen a man with two thumbs ?” Hearing that Mr Garther looked somewhat interested. Indeed, he had seen many people with two thumbs. They are not common. But there are at least two in every village.

“I get what you are trying to say. Indeed, it looks like a special form of it. But I have to answer the villagers.” He said ,it looked as if he had no intention to try and dismiss him.

Lillian, who had been quiet during most of the discussion, chimed in, "Aurelian's birth was not an easy one. I was in labour for almost a year, and he had to stay inside my womb to develop properly. It is possible that this extended period allowed his limbs to form differently than other children. But that doesn't make him any less of a child."

Mr. Garther seemed to be taking in the information, but he was still unsure of what to do. "I understand what you're saying, Aiden and Lillian. However, the villagers are concerned for their safety. We need to take action to ensure that no harm will come to anyone."

Aiden and Lillian exchanged worried glances. They knew that the villagers' superstitions could lead to dire consequences for their family. Aiden spoke up, "We understand your concern, Mr. Garther. But we cannot let our child's life be put in danger because of baseless accusations. We would be willing to consult with a shaman, but under certain conditions."

Aiden went on to explain that the shaman should not be from any nearby village, to prevent any influence from the villagers. Additionally, the shaman would not be allowed to see Aurelian's body, as this would prevent any biased judgments. And finally, if the shaman did determine that Aurelian was a demon, they would be given a week's time to leave the village.

Mr Garther quickly finished his tea before leaving, Aiden watched since all the discussion was already, he leaned back in his chair, nodding his head in approval. "This is delicious, Lillian. You have quite the talent for brewing tea." Lillian smiled at the compliment but her eyes betrayed her worry. Aiden noticed her anxiety and placed his hand on hers reassuringly. "Don't worry, Lily. If everything goes wrong, we will just leave this place."

After Mr Garther left, things seemed to return to normal for a few days. The family went about their daily routines, with Nathanielle and Aurelia. Aiden was still not going to the farm , Nathanielle and Aurelian have moved onto diving lessons, while Valentina slept in Lillian's arms. However, their sense of peace was shattered when a letter arrived at their doorstep.

Aiden opened the envelope and read its contents, his face growing grave as he did so. "What is it?" Lillian asked, her worry returning tenfold. Aiden handed her the letter without a word. It was an official summons from the village council, demanding that Aiden and his entire family present themselves before the shaman that very evening.

Aiden knew what was coming. Yet its words sent a chill down Aiden's spine. It read:

"To Aiden and his family,

You are hereby summoned to appear before the shaman of the village during sunset this evening in front of the King’s pedestal. Failure to comply will result in grave consequences.

Signed,

The Village Council"

0