Chapter 8: Journey to the Academy
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nathanielle’ s departure for the Royal Academy was drawing near, and Aiden and Lillian were busy preparing for his journey. Aiden had spent the last few weeks teaching Nathanielle everything he needed to know to survive in the outside world. Nathanielle was a quick learner, and he had grasped the essential skills required to navigate the world beyond their farm.
On the day of his departure, Nathanielle was up early, packed, and ready to leave. He had his bag slung over his shoulder, and he had a small smile on his face. As he walked out of the door, he saw Aurelian sitting on the porch, staring off into the distance.
"Hey, little brother," Nathanielle said as he approached him. "What's up?"
Aurelian looked up and smiled. "Nothing much. Just thinking about how much I'll miss you."
Nathanielle smiled back. "I'll miss you too, but we'll write to each other all the time. I'll tell you all about the Academy."
Aurelian nodded. "I can't wait to hear about it."
Valentina, who had been playing with her dolls on the porch, came running up to Nathanielle. "Are you leaving, Nathanielle?" she asked, tugging on his pant leg.
Nathanielle smiled down at her. "Yes, I am, little sis."
Valentina pouted. "Nathanielle don’t go. Who will play with me?"
Nathanielle knelt down and gave her a hug. "You'll have Aurelian and Theodore to play with. And when I come back, we will have lots of fun together, okay?"
Valentina nodded, and Nathanielle ruffled her hair before getting up and turning to Aiden and Lillian. "I guess this is it," he said, looking at his parents.
Aiden put his hand on Nathanielle’ s shoulder, “You are going to do great things. Just remember to never give up and stay true to yourself. Your mother and I are very proud of you.”
Lillian hugged him too, tears in her eyes. "Be safe, Nathanielle."
Nathanielle nodded and turned to his friends Samantha and Frey, who had arrived early in the morning to see him off. "Thanks for coming, guys," he said, smiling.
Samantha smiled back at him; her cheeks flushed. "Of course, we wouldn't miss it for the world."
Nathanielle noticed the way she was looking at him and felt a flutter in his stomach. He had always thought Samantha was cute, but today he wanted to give her a hug for some reason.
Frey punched him playfully on the shoulder. "Don't forget to write to us, Nathanielle. And don't let those Royal Academy snobs get you down."
Nathanielle laughed. "I won't. Thanks, guys."
Nathanielle nodded, feeling a mix of emotions- excitement for the new journey and sadness for leaving his family behind. With a final wave, Nathanielle and Aiden set off towards the Royal Academy.
As the two made their way through the forest, Nathanielle could not help but feel a little homesick. Aiden noticed his son’s melancholic expression and decided to lighten the mood.
“You know son, when I was your age, I left home to become a soldier. It was tough being away from home, but I learned a lot from my experiences. You will do great too,” Aiden said, trying to cheer him up.
“Thanks, Dad,” Nathanielle said, grateful for his father’s encouragement.
As Nathanielle and Aiden entered the Elysium, Royal Capital of the Denus Kingdom, they were immediately struck by its grandeur. The towering walls of the castle loomed over the city, and the streets were bustling with people of all kinds. Nathanielle’ s eyes widened as he took in the sights, the smells, and the sounds of the city.
Aiden chuckled at his son's reaction, "It's quite a sight, isn't it? I remember feeling the same way when I first arrived here."
Nathanielle nodded eagerly, "Yeah, it's amazing! Look at all the people, and the buildings, and the...the...is that magic?!"
Aiden followed Nathanielle’ s gaze and saw one of the mages showing off his skills on the streets. “Is that your first-time seeing Magic ? You know Mom’s a Mage.”
“What Mom’s a Mage ? How ?” Nathanielle’ s , his eyes widened with surprise.
“Yes , Your Mom is an Excellent Earth Attribute Mage. Do not worry once you go inside the Academy. This will be a normal thing” Aiden said , a hint of nostalgia in his eyes.
As they made their way through the streets, Nathanielle also caught sight of groups of adventurers, distinguished by their gear and weapons. He had heard stories about them from Aiden before, but seeing them in person was a different experience altogether.
"Those are the adventurers," Aiden said, pointing to a group of armoured men and women. "They are the ones who take on the dangerous quests and protect the kingdom from internal threats. I was an adventurer myself before I settled down."
Nathanielle looked at his father in surprise, "You were an adventurer, right? That is so cool, dad! What kind of quests did you go on?"
Aiden chuckled, "Oh, all sorts. I have fought monsters, explored ruins, rescued hostages, you name it. It was a dangerous life, but it was also a thrilling one."
As they continued to walk, Nathanielle could not help but feel a sense of excitement and wonder. The city was full of mysteries and adventures waiting to be explored.
As Aiden and Nathanielle made their way through the grand gates of the Royal Academy, they were met with a breath-taking sight. The campus was massive, with several buildings, courtyards, and gardens sprawling over acres of land. The buildings were constructed with a blend of modern architecture and traditional designs, and were adorned with intricate carvings and murals depicting scenes from the kingdom's history.
Nathanielle’ s eyes widened in awe as he looked around, taking in the magnificent sights. Aiden smiled at his son's expression, reminiscing his own first time at the academy.
"The academy is truly a sight to behold, isn't it?" Aiden said, putting a reassuring hand on Nathanielle’ s shoulder.
Nathanielle nodded in agreement, still taking in the sights. As they walked further into the academy, they saw several groups of students, each with their own unique uniforms, discussing and studying together. Nathanielle observed them keenly, intrigued by the different magical abilities on display.
He saw a group of students practicing their elemental magic, conjuring gusts of wind and flames with ease. Another group was practicing their telekinesis, levitating objects, and moving them with their minds. Nathanielle looked at them with envy, wishing he could be among them and learn their techniques.
As they walked deeper into the academy, Nathanielle saw a group of Royal Guards patrolling the area. They were clad in shining Armor and wielding weapons of different shapes and sizes. Nathanielle could sense their strength and skill, and felt a shiver run down his spine.
Aiden noticed his son's apprehension and spoke up, "Don't worry, son. They are here to keep us safe. They are the best of the best, trained to protect the kingdom and its people."
As they walked, Aiden spotted an old acquaintance, a grizzled man with a thick beard and a stern expression. The two clasped each other's forearms in greeting, exchanging pleasantries and catching up on old times. Nathanielle watched them curiously, listening to their conversation with interest.
After a few minutes, Aiden turned to Nathanielle and said, "This is Mr. Grayson, one of the administrators of the academy. He's going to help us with your admission process."
Mr. Grayson smiled at Nathanielle and said, "Welcome to the Royal Academy, young man. We're excited to have you here."
Nathanielle grinned back at him, his eyes shining with excitement. "Thank you, sir! I can't wait to start my classes."
Mr. Grayson led them to his office, which was situated in one of the larger buildings on campus. The office was spacious, with large windows that let in plenty of natural light. Shelves lined the walls, filled with books and various academic awards. A large wooden desk sat in the centre of the room, and Mr. Grayson motioned for them to take a seat.
"Now then," Mr. Grayson said, "let's get started on the paperwork. I assume you have already paid your admission fee?"
Aiden nodded. "Yes, that's taken care of."
"Excellent," Mr. Grayson said, shuffling through a stack of papers on his desk. "Now, let's see here... ah, here we are. Nathanielle Ironheart, correct?"
Nathanielle nodded eagerly, practically bouncing in his seat.
Mr. Grayson smiled at the boy's enthusiasm. "Very well, then. You are in luck, Nathanielle. We have a spot open in the scholarship program for commoners, and I think you'd be an excellent candidate."
Nathanielle’ s face lit up. "Really? That is amazing! Thank you so much!"
Mr. Grayson chuckled. "Don't thank me yet, young man. You still have to work hard and earn your place here. But I have faith in you."
He handed Nathanielle a stack of papers to fill out, explaining each one in detail. Aiden watched as his son diligently filled out each form, his brow furrowed in concentration.
Once the paperwork was finished, Mr. Grayson stood up and shook their hands. "Welcome to the Royal Academy, Nathanielle. I look forward to seeing what you can do."
As they walked out of the office, Nathanielle turned to his father. "Did you know Mr. Grayson before?"
Aiden nodded. "Yeah, we used to be adventurers together. We went on a few quests back in the day."
Nathanielle’ s eyes widened in amazement. "Wow, that's so cool! You've done everything, Dad."
Aiden chuckled. "Not quite everything, but I've had my fair share of adventures, that's for sure."
He led Nathanielle to his dormitory, a small but cosy room with a bunk bed, a desk, and a wardrobe. Aiden helped Nathanielle unpack his bags and get settled in, giving him a quick tour of the dormitory and the surrounding area

0